Search Unity

Edge Detect Effect Normals script not included in standard assets?

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by Morgan-Nilsson, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Morgan-Nilsson

Morgan-Nilsson

Hello!

I really, really want access to this feature: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/script-EdgeDetectEffectNormals.html

But I can't find anything other than the old Edge Detect image script, the new one does not seem to be included in the standard assets or is it a pro effect only?

Would be nice to have some light shed on this as the documentation doesn't say it if is pro exclusive.

Thanks!

//Morgan

2. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

There's no such thing as 'pro-specific' with Unity 5. All features are available in all versions. Having said that, I have no idea where that particular script might be at this point. It's possible it was a part of a deprecated package that is no longer available.

3. Flurgle

Flurgle

It looks as though they removed the effects from the standard assets package, and you have to use the post-processing stack (which unfortunately doesn't fill all the gaps).

4. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

jhocking and Flurgle like this.
  5. Dwight_P

Dwight_P

Is edge detection going to be added into the Post Processing Stack at a later date by any chance?

Heykinox and DARKGuy like this.
  6. DARKGuy

DARKGuy

Hello, long-time lurker here. The new post-processing stack looks great, but I agree with dog199200, my project was highly dependant on the Edge Detection filter and while there's a ton of other effects available, no sight of edge detection anywhere. Is it going to be added soon? thanks!

7. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

We don't have any plan to add this effect back, it's highly game-specific and doesn't fit the current goal ("have a good set of the most commonly used post-processing effects"). Every other effect will have to be custom made. If we start adding specific effects for everyone it'll turn into a mess.

We're working on a solution to make adding custom effect to the stack easier. You can still use the old edge detect effect though, not sure why you think you can't.

Martin_H, DARKGuy and Flurgle like this.
  8. DARKGuy

DARKGuy

Hello, first of all thanks for your answer! :)

In regards to it, well, I was actually expecting that the new postprocessing effects would at least have such a basic shader effect built-in. I would understand if it was something like a toon shader, or a FOV distortion-like effect for an alien perspective, but the edge detection is like, one of the most basic stuff that most indie devs use. I have three projects in mind, been working in two, and both of them do depend on the edge detection filter for the art style I want them to have. It's not just me anyways... big AA games do it too: Borderlands, TMNT, Naruto Ninja Storm, and indie such as Hocus and Jet Set Radio for Android, they do use that style.

You know, as a normal, common user, the repo/project looked so great that I downloaded it and plugged it into my Unity project without even looking if it had an edge detection filter, because that's so basic that I expected it to be already there out of the box, just to find out it wasn't and that it has been moved to a separate asset in the store.

It may also be because I'm kinda annoyed that the current edge detection filters look so jagged except the Sobel Depth Thin effect, but it only looks nice being thin as 0.5 and it doesn't archieve the look I want. I have tried to apply the Antialiasing filter too, but I've read it's slow and I don't want to add such a graphics overhead in my game for something that, maybe, I expected to have it improved in the new post-processing package. Who knows, it could be that my expectations with Unity are too high?

9. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Statistically speaking, it's not. I'll reiterate, but we can't offer every effect that anyone consider "basic", especially when it's clearly not.
    And most if not of them use highly-specialized edge detection filters & art direction. They don't have a "single common style". Releasing a single edge detection filter would only cover a single case.
    This alone proves my previous point...

Like I said in the post you quoted, you can still use the old edge detection filter.

Flurgle likes this.
  10. DARKGuy

DARKGuy

I totally disagree, I mean, so you are able to provide and enhance 20+ filters, but edge detection is too much for your team? really?

Well, covering a single case is better than none at all.

I'm using it, but as I said before, I think my expectations with Unity are higher than I expected, in fact, this thread came up in my first google search on why the edge detection filter wasn't available in this new package. It's so sad to see an answer like this, a plain, blatant "No", when, thanks to the community and your engine users it's because you have this much success. Now I see why Unreal is leading the way, you guys just have the advantage in coding language (C#) and ease of use, but your feedback and response to your users is really disappointing.

Doomgriever likes this.
  11. iRYO400

iRYO400

@DARKGuy mby you know, how to exclude specific objects from detection?

12. iRYO400

iRYO400

@Chman , can you help me with excluding specific objects from edge detection?

13. QuantumRyan

QuantumRyan

@iRYO400 You can exclude specific objects from edge detection by using layers. Simply add a layer and name it whatever you like, like 'No Edge Detect'. Then on the camera you're using change the Culling Mask and unselect that layer.

If you want those excluded objects to still be drawn though, you'll need a second camera with the Culling Mask set to only your new layer.

14. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Absinthe23, Stardog, seltar_ and 4 others like this.
  15. MaeL0000

MaeL0000

16. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

What can't you find exactly? As far as I can tell, the files are still there.

17. MaeL0000

MaeL0000

Sorry, I must have looked at the wrong chrome tab -.-'.. I need some coffee

18. alexandre-chambriat

alexandre-chambriat

19. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

I've updated the effect so that all injection points are available to the user.

For LWRP or HDRP, please use the "Before Stack" or "After Stack" injection points.
    For legacy renderers, "Before Transparent" is recommended.

20. alexandre-chambriat

alexandre-chambriat

It works, thanks!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  21. AlessioGrancini

AlessioGrancini

Thank you so much - this works great ! <3

22. arjanwiegel

arjanwiegel

It seems not to work anymore in unity 2020 with the scriptable render pipeline. :(
    We switched back to our software "find edges" script.

23. Jwguy

Jwguy

It doesn't work in 2017, either, unfortunately, from my experience. It's a shame, especially since Post-Processing Stack is unwilling to include the effect and it is no longer available on the asset store, either.

24. adamgryu

adamgryu

I used to point people towards the Legacy Image Effects package so they can learn how this effect is coded. It's unfortunate that it was taken down from the asset store. Is it possible to have these effects uploaded somewhere for reference purposes? Is it legal for someone like myself to share the version I have backed up on my computer?