Search Unity

Edge artifacts from scaling large textures

Discussion in '2D' started by obscene, Dec 2, 2013.

1. obscene

obscene

So I applied a large PNG image of a field with trees to a background quad, moved it far back from the camera (perspective) and then scaled it up a bunch to get the right look. However, due to the fact that I don't really know the size of the quad and therefore cannot associate that with the pixel size of the texture and calculate that into the distance from the camera, I of course don't have this scaled pixel perfect.

The image is transparent on top, with a repeating field and trees at the bottom. So the top of the PNG has nothing, while the bottom has the ground. So now in Unity, I have a very faint line at the top of the quad, obviously an artifact from the bottom that is being scaled and tiled.

Changing Filter mode to pixel fixes it, but I get that ugly jittering when the background is moving.

So not sure what my question is, except, maybe, is there a way I can match my quad and background pixel to pixel? If my background is 1920 wide, and my quad is 110 meters from the camera, how much should I scale the quad x ?

Edit: Just found out that increase Aniso Level fixes the line, but still I'd like to know if there's a good to calcualte quad scaling against texture sizes and camera distances.

I know with a sprite you can set the pixels to units, but not with texture.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. TomasJ

TomasJ