Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ECS world replication

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by e199, Oct 27, 2018.

1. e199

e199

When I first heard about ECS integration into new networking my first thoughts were about automated world synchronization.

But when I looked at sources - there is nothing apart from `connection` concept.

What are the plans about ECS integration? How it would look like?
    Thanks.

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I'm not sure why you created another thread on the same subject - and I also am not entirely sure what you mean by "world replication". I suppose you mean having the worlds of a multiplayer game synchronized? That is more of a thing for the developer to handle through the networking code, by handing variables to other players that tell of changes in the hosts world.

As for whether there will be anything built in that handles that kind of thing, I couldn't say for sure, but I'd imagine not.

3. e199

e199

I wanted to delete prev thread, but it's too late now. FPS forum is not the ideal place to ask that question.

Yes, by world replication I mean keeping world synchronized.

What makes it "ECS compatible"? It can't sync entities/components, there should be something I'm missing.
    I can use any other networking package which is "not ECS compatible" and write synchronization logic too.

4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I'm not sure, this is something I think your going to have to just use trial and error to find out, and see how far you can get. Perhaps someone with more ECS knowledge will come along.