Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Question ECS - Setting localToWorld doesn't update child entities positions.

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Yoconn, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Yoconn

Yoconn

How are you supposed to move a parent entity and have the child entities 'follow'?

I've tried googling this but... I might be using the wrong terminology or something.

I'm working off the Boids example and this is what I'm currently doing.

Code (CSharp):
    2. localToWorld.Value = float4x4.TRS(
    3.     new float3(localToWorld.Position + (nextHeading * MoveDistance)),
    4.     quaternion.LookRotationSafe(nextHeading, math.up()),
    5.     new float3(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f));

2. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

Yoconn and Anthiese like this.
  3. Yoconn

Yoconn

4. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

Yes

5. Tudor

Tudor

But how do you change the non-uniform scale if you shouldn't use localToWorld?

ah, like this: https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-scale-a-entity-in-a-non-uniform-way.1411515/
    magical hidden by default component, got it.

(the docs are very unclear what it is, "you may use a PostTransformScale (float3x3). This will be applied in the following manner: LocalToWorld = WorldTransform.ToMatrix() * PostTransformScale", had to search around a lot for usage and context; it didn't even mention it's a component or part of a component)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  6. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

layker90524 likes this.
  7. muntes

muntes

Hi,

Do you have any idea how to scale a child of a parent entity in a non-uniform way?

entityManager.AddComponentData(productEntity, new LocalTransform { Position = localMatrix.position, Rotation = localMatrix.rotation});
    entityManager.SetComponentData(productEntity, new PostTransformMatrix {Value = float4x4.Scale(localMatrix.scale) });

For example this generates a 0,0,0 LocalToWorld.

8. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

LocalTransform.Scale isn’t set in that code, so it will be 0.