Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ecs question (objects pooling)

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by Hootlook, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Hootlook

Hootlook

First of all thanks for this Sample it really helped me bootstrap my project !

I am now trying to understand the whole workflow with ECS and how does it translate into the editor view with classic gameobjects it's pretty tough, is there some ressources that can help better understand ? i've seen a few but i'm not sure it is trustful since DOTS changes so much as we speaks.

Also while playing a bit i've noticed that bullets are pooled despite being Entities, isn't this one of the best use for ECS since destroying and instantiating is so much more lightweight ?

We have whole "Achetypes" for local player gameobjects despite it being instantiated once, but redundent things like bullets still uses pools isn't that kind of backward ? If anything i thought thing that wouldn't have a editor representation or "Authoring objects" if i'm not mistaken it would be bullets.

Does this makes sense ?

2. karstenv

karstenv

This sample project was intended as a hybrid between normal mono behavior and DOTS. So not everything in it is up to date....

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is there a version without the extremely confusing ECS involved ?