Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ECS or Monobehaviours, wanting to create a game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by sietse85, Mar 16, 2019.

1. sietse85

sietse85

Hi all,

Short intro: I am a Software Engineer irl (webdevelopment) and taking an interest in Game Development. I am having fun following some courses on udemy and get stuff done in Unity :)

I want to create a game with amongst a lot of other things ,these features in it:
    - Procedural map generation
    - Multiplayer
    - Character creation system (UMA seems awesome but is possibly not usable because i am going to have lots of Entities/Characaters in my game, in the thousands and UMA is not that performant in that case. Maybe usable with ECS?).

Well to my question as a newcomer... Should i focus on learning everything about ECS? Or stick with the traditional way of using Monobehaviours. I am a little scared that evertyhing that i learn now will become useless within a couple of years. Shall i wait until ECS is released, or still focus on learning how to create my game with the use of the tradional system?

A little advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Start with MonoBehaviours. Unity won't be removing them anytime soon if they decide to remove them at all and you will likely find yourself using a combination of them and ECS even when you've finally decided to learn ECS.

hippocoder and JoeStrout like this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Monobehaviour without a doubt for people new to Unity, especially for a first title.

Dabble in ECS/DOTS on the side when the mood takes you though. You'll know when it's time to use ECS by then.

Joe-Censored, dadude123 and Ryiah like this.
  4. sietse85

sietse85

Thanks for the replies.