Search Unity

ECS Examples

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by sngdan, Mar 26, 2018.

1. sngdan

sngdan

I thought it might be helpful for others to have a thread, where people can post their ECS experiments.

I initially decided to wait a little longer for better documentation and examples, but could not help it and did a little test today. Observations:
    - The Unity provided component / system "CopyTransformToGameObjectSystem" seems to have an error or my installation is broken -> I made a copy of it and got it working
    - The wrapped components like Position do not update in the Inspector (if you look at the core component in Entity Debugger they actually work), this was irritating

My ECS test:
    - requires b12 with ECS + ECS manifest in packages + Net4.x in player
    - Spawns 4 lines of 1000 cubes each & moves them on a sin wave
    - Each line (from A to D) gradually increases the use of ECS/Jobs principles (it goes from hybrid to semi-hybrid to pure)

Attached Files:

Gametyme, FROS7 and Emre_U like this.
  2. MikeJH

MikeJH

Hi,
    Thanks for your share.
    But,I do not know how to install ECS + ECS manifest packages.Could you help me ?

3. asethicode5

asethicode5

@sngdan Thanks for the thread creation! You are right, as ECS is pretty new and few documentation is available, we should share our experiments. I will try to clean up few of my last week experiments and post here in a few days.

4. sngdan

sngdan

@MikeJH check the welcome thread in this forum
    @asethicode5 great, I hope others participate as well (I have already seen some people here that have past ECS experience, I am sure they snap up the implementation of Unity way quicker than others)

5. SubPixelPerfect

SubPixelPerfect

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    PaulNK and recursive like this.
  6. adv40864

adv40864

unity ecs physics | movement and adding force to rigidbody