Search Unity

ECS Documentation deficiency?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by jwvanderbeck, Jan 5, 2020.

1. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

5argon likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

IMHO it will take a long time to get concrete docs as it's an evolving topic as well. New workflows are being added so the optimal way to deal with something is difficult to document. I would definately recommend a crash course watching the latest Unite Copenhagen videos on youtube as a primer for new workflows. Sorry it's not the answer you're looking for.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

@jwvanderbeck your second best option, is just look into sample projects on git. No better way than to learn practically.

See pined thread
    Samples

4. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

While your point is valid, I will counter it with two points :)
    1) The rest of the documentation is rather solid, with lots of examples of how to do things. Creating entities is arguably one of the most important, so taking just a few minutes to give a couple examples of each of the overloads would be nice :)
    2) Arguably the docs are even more important during the early adoption period. I'm just as bad at writing them as the next guy, but they are incredibly valuable at this stage right now.

vildauget and hippocoder like this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is really fab feedback as like you say it could actually be addressed now so I'm going to +1 :)