Search Unity

ECS and Job System Implementation

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Matt-K, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Matt-K

Matt-K

Hey there everyone,

I'm in the very beginning of building a game, it's a mobile game and I was wondering when ECS and Job System should be implemented? Should the entire game be built around it, like should I add it now and build from here or add it later?

Thanks!

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Preferably much game as possible.
    But nothing stops from implementing it later, in case you are not familiar with it yet.

3. Matt-K

Matt-K

I see. Thank you for your reply, I suppose after I finish my character controller I'll just get to work implementing the object pooler and ECS. I'm not very familiar, but it doesn't hurt to start now. There are lots of beginners tutorials and stuff.

4. Suddoha

Suddoha

It takes some experience to decide when it makes sense. For instance, I wouldn't force the complete game architecture into ECS / Job system, there are certainly lots of cases in which it makes completely sense to make the switch to get lots of performance boosts, but there are also cases in which it doesn't.

That's very general, but there's no further information about the game you're going to develop.

Ryiah and Antypodish like this.
  5. Matt-K

Matt-K

I'm making a one level procedural submarine mobile game where you'll face multiple enemies in one go to a finish line. You'll fight ships, aquatic enemies and there'll be NPCs that aren't enemy or ally but just moving around. I've never made a mobile game and I know there are limited resources.

I am attracted to the ECS and Job System's performance capabilities and wanted to get practice with them.