Search Unity

Ebal Studios 3D Art Assets - Support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EbalStudios, Feb 19, 2018.

1. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

-The background used in the background controller must be one with a sprite, you can try some tricks like the one used in the space horizontal level, and put some 3D objects in the advance objects layer, but either way, the camera is orthographic and there is no possibility for one with perspective so a 3D object or a sprite background won't make a difference and you would get the same result if you pre-render your 3D background and use it as a sprite instead of a 3D object.

-I am just guessing with the error you have, but I think you are using an enemy with a patrol mover in a curve wave, curve wave will only take an enemy with a curve mover. Patrol mover goes into an organized wave.

Just a small note to keep things organized, for any more questions on Shmup Baby, let's post them in Shmup Baby support thread over here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/shmup-baby.557059/ (This thread is dedicated to the art assets, I always get confused by them as well :D)

2. ash4640

ash4640

Hi thanks, yeah just purchased the spaceship creator for flat colors I'm using flatkit shader and works fine with the demo spaceship, so hope it will work with the rest in the pack too.
    regarding the shmup baby will mail you.

EbalStudios likes this.
  3. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

I've been looking around the assetstore (and some other stores) for models from the various authors and noticed that a lot are variations of (impolitely said) "metal boxes", some really good looking, but still. The only 2 'uniquely alien' designs I found are the "Craiz'an star" from this pack and the "Spaceships constructor 7" pack from Craftworks...

I'm wondering if you have any plans for future packs containing more extreme alien designs, e.g. like the babylon 5 shadow ship, or maybe some organic ship - or anything which is not a "metal box"?
    Or, maybe someone has more pointers where to look?

Regards

4. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

@rboerdijk - it's hard to find that level of custom design in a "shop" setting because it is so specialized/unique. It's especially true for a modular pack where pieces are meant to be interchangeable. You might need to commission something like that as an artist can give you several different concepts before settling on a final design.

That said, you can create some pretty unique objects when you combine this pack with one of their space station packs. It takes a little time to get used to but, once you do, you can crank out designs in an hour or so.

EbalStudios and rboerdijk like this.
  5. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

Sure it's definitely more unique, but it's not that unusual for any kind of space scenario to have some alien-looking races, is it? That was why I was wondering why nobody seemed to produce that kind of content. I mean how many metal box designs will people want to buy? ;)

In my opinion something like the "Spaceships constructor 7" and the "Craiz'an star" literally jump out out between everything else, exactly because they are so uniquely different... Or in other words, after experimenting a bit with the free samples these are the likely candidates I'll purchase, ignoring (most of) the metal-boxes offerings.

I had the "alien modular space station pack" on my "very interesting" list, exactly because it has a bit more alien designs (more so then the other space station pack)... So you are suggesting to use the station-parts of that one to build more unique ships? That's an interesting idea, never even considered that as an option...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  6. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

Ships, stations...whatever. These are pretty much Legos.

EbalStudios and rboerdijk like this.
  7. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thank you Boom_Shaka!

As Boom_Shaka mentioned, one of the reasons most asset store artists do not go for unique/outlandish designs because they are a really niche market and wouldn't sell as often. I do not want to divulge any numbers but to be honest hardly anyone bought the Alien modular space stations! Although it comes with 3 completely different material designs to fit 3 different alien races. I believe it is just too specialized. And if time goes back we would not create it in the first place because we simply lost money by creating it.

There are few more styles that I have in mind for an update to the USC, I will keep your feedback in mind whenever I get to it but no promises on the timeline.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    rboerdijk likes this.
  8. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

Thanks for your insights, really surprising I think. Looking forward to any updates and what they will bring.
    ... and I don't mind waiting, I always purchase packages for the long run.

To be clear for any future readers, I didn't mean to offend when saying "metal boxes", some of these do look absolutely amazing. Apparently I'm just in the niche who likes the alien designs a lot better :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    EbalStudios likes this.
  9. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thx, just for the record I am still working on the Shmup engine template rebuild and plan on finishing that first before getting back to the USC so it might take a lot of time to get to it, also if we do a big revamp for the USC the upgrade will most likely be paid.

rboerdijk likes this.
  10. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

No big deal. So does that mean you are (in the further future) considering to create a new package with entirely new content, a "USC 2" so to say?

11. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

I still have not decided to be frank :)

I have two options:
    1- A significant upgrade, one that will add on what I feel to be the missing genres and add more functionality.
    2-Or a complete rebuild using the skills and experience we have gained so far after working with the developers who have used the pack.
    But either way it should be more than just couple of more spaceships.

12. centaurianmudpig

centaurianmudpig

I'm voting for this option.

EbalStudios likes this.
  13. VisualDima

VisualDima

Hi!
    VoidWhale_MissileLauncher, VoidWhale_Turret, SpaceSphinx_Cannon made as one, solid mesh. So, I can't make them aim for targets. Are there versions of those modules where gun barrels are separated from turret heads?

14. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hi and thank you for your purchase and for getting in touch.
    Void Whale turrets are more of place holder than a usable turret, if you zoom in on them you can notice that their resolution is relatively small. For completely detailed turrets we have the modular sci-fi weapons pack: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/props/weapons/modular-sci-fi-weapons-146883

Will look into separating the turret meshes in future updates, but at the moment I wouldn't recommend going into the effort of opening the FBX in blender and re-exporting for a mesh that is more or less a box.

My best recommendation for now would be to simply build your own turret from existing parts. If you open up the modules scene, you can easily find many parts which can pass as turret bases and a turret guns. Just delete any older void whale turrets and add your very own made ones.

15. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

I'd recommend the turret pack as it also comes with missiles and mines - very good value for only $20

EbalStudios likes this.
  16. nyscersul

nyscersul

Sup guys!

Just wanted to let you guys know i have recently come back to redo the module sorting and things, and the modules in the examples are being extracted just fine. The update solved the problem wonderfully, thanks guys!

(If it is required, mr wileyjerkins, try messaging me here i could help you with a script to encode those rotations properly. :) )

EbalStudios likes this.
  17. Omti1990

Omti1990

Hi everyone,
    I've got a quick question. I've got the Ultimate Spaceship creator, but I'm a bit stumped. How do you mirror the modules?

Apart from that you mention finished models can just get mesh baked? Is there some tool for this included, or can you recommend some Asset for it?

18. nyscersul

nyscersul

Its a bit of a complex job to do, and you need to be careful if doing it to the mesh data, but if you want i can send some code maybe that will do it, i intend to load a mesh and encode the negative scales into the used runtime geometry rather than saving a mirrored version. These meshes use smoothing groups which somewhat complicates the mesh data.

Omti1990 and EbalStudios like this.
  19. nyscersul

nyscersul

If you want a quick and dirty solution, you can just set the scale negative and itll flip, but the collisions system dislikes having negative scales on colliders.

Omti1990 and EbalStudios like this.
  20. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

To mirror anything you just need to use a negative scale, for example to mirror something on the X axis, you can put a -1 in the X scale. If you open up the modules scene, you can just move, rotate, scale and mirror any modules you want. Bake them if you absolutely have to, baking is optional and is only for slight performance enhancement that might not have any effect on your game.

Only now I learned from nyscersul that negatively scaling the colliders might have some adverse affects, if taking his advice, just make sure you do not negatively scale any colliders. Create an empty game object, add your mirrored module to it and add your colliders to it as well so that the colliders do not share any negative scale values.

USC_Mirror.jpg

The most popular baking tool is mesh baker which is available on the asset store, you can also consider taking the FBX files into any 3D app, assembling and attaching the meshes and exporting them back but smoothing groups might be affected.

Omti1990 and Boom_Shaka like this.
  21. Omti1990

Omti1990

Thank you very much for the advise. Especially with the colliders. The spaceship parts didn't have them, but the station parts do, so I need to be careful with that.

Anyways @nyscersul I can't put colliders on anything with negative scales right? So I'll have to make sure I put them under some different (child) object than my models/meshes.

EbalStudios likes this.
  22. nyscersul

nyscersul

Yes, but if desired i can send code that will reliably flip the meshes and avoid the need to have extra gameobjects in the hierarchy.

23. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Sure why not! I am just wrapping up the second version of the scrolling shooter template I have been busy working on and starting to think of the updates for the USC.
    Whenever you have time, please feel free to send it via PM or E-mail: info@ebalstudios.com and will check it out whenever I get round to making an update. If it can flip the meshes while keeping all the point order and smoothing groups it can come in handy!

24. nyscersul

nyscersul

I was thinking more for users, but this works too. ;)

25. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

It's your script, if you want to post it here, please feel free to do so :D

26. nyscersul

nyscersul

Didnt think of that...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gtVGyDoXN2ZSNKJTmuwBRW6Mc9ZZ08FJ/view?usp=drivesdk

It is intended for runtime use tho, saving meshes within unity isnt easy if you want to preserve compatibility with the other modelling programs. I just save em as an asset, its only for my code to use anyways. If you isolate the methods that do the work in the code above you should be able to flip in start then use colliders as normal.

rboerdijk and EbalStudios like this.
  27. nyscersul

nyscersul

(Oh yeah, this is an editor script designed to test the code, not to do the job. End result is instantiated in scene view, mesh wont be saved unless you instruct it to do so. Can be done by saving as an asset with the asset database utils.)

28. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thank you for sharing! Very much appreciated.

29. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Important Update: Migrating to Unity 2019.4
    I will be updating all of the art assets into Unity 2019.4 very soon. If you use a Unity version before 2019.4 please do make sure to keep a backup of your purchased assets.

In addition to that, at some point I will also be separating the Substance Painter files for the USC into a separate pack which anyone who have purchased the USC can access for free, just to save space if we needed future updates.

30. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

centaurianmudpig likes this.
  31. DragonHornI5

DragonHornI5

can i use these ships in my commercial game ??, i intend to launch my game in the future in steam, or and only for study purposes this assets? I mean free ones

32. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Yes, you can use our assets (free and paid) in a commercial game you are creating.

33. adamstone711

adamstone711

Why do i have to see this in the inspector every time i open Unity? Seems a bit spammy :/

34. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Just to be more specific, are you talking about the FREE Star Sparrow asset links to our other content or are you talking about something else?

35. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Update!!!
    Version 3 of the Ultimate Spaceships Creator is on the way!!!

It Includes:

-2 new spaceship sets: The Galactic Okamoto and Star Force.
    -Improved the textures to be more compatible with URP and HDRP (The pack for now will have SRP, Upgrading into URP is straight forward but I may add later an HDRP pack, I have to look into it more, any feedback will be appreciated)
    -Added one more unified color to all spaceship sets.
    -Added pre-mirrored ship modules.
    -Added examples.
    -Every example is now a single FBX file.
    -Reorganized the collection and modules kitbash.
    -Increased Craizan Star Textures to 4K

Very short time after the release we will add to it 5 more generic spaceships as well!
    Also we are working on a cool trailer which we are hoping to finish soon, stay posted and feel free to ask any questions.

Here is a sneak peak of The Star Force which is a small fighter ship (Reserving the Galactic Okamoto when we show off the trailer :D)

Edit: I changed the release date and kept it open, everything is almost finished but due to technical reasons beyond our control, the release may have to be postponed, but any delay time will be used to improve the content.
    StarForce.png

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    rrahim, exiguous and CrowbarSka like this.
  36. Tiger1301

Tiger1301

How do I upgrade the shaders to urp?

37. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Open up your URP project, import our asset, then go to the Edit menu --> Render Pipeline --> Universal Render Pipeline --> Upgrade Project Materials to Universal RP Materials.
    And that's it.
    This process is also demonstrated at the end of this trailer, starting from 2 minutes:

38. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Version 3 of the Ultimate Spaceships Creator will be coming soon!!! Stay tuned. Meanwhile this is the trailer for version 3!

And this is a 3D preview of the 2 spaceship sets which have been added in Version 3

Documentation for version 3 can be downloaded here: https://www.ebalstudios.com/s/USC_Documentation.pdf
    Note: Version 3 upgrade will be free for anyone who will now buy the current version of the USC (90 days grace period), and a paid upgrade for previous users of the USC as it adds additional content to the USC.

Version 3 updates:
    • Added 2 spaceship sets: The Galactic Okamoto and Star Force.
    • Improved the textures to be more compatible with URP and HDRP.
    • Added HDRP upgrade option
    • Added one more unified color to all spaceship sets. (All unified colors are now inside the standard materials folder and non unified colors are under the extra materials folder)
    • Added pre-mirrored ship modules.
    • Added examples.
    • Added 6 more bonus generic spaceships.
    • Every example is now a single FBX file.
    • Reorganized the collection and modules kitbash.
    • Increased Craizan Star Textures to 4K.

39. centaurianmudpig

centaurianmudpig

Version 3 upgrade will be free for anyone who will now buy the current version of the USC (90 days grace period), and a paid upgrade for previous users of the USC as it adds additional content to the USC.
    How much will the upgrade be for existing owners and how will that work?

40. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

The upgrade price will be 15$, the way it works is that once version 3 is published, you will see a new pack that you can purchase with a 75% discount. All previous owners of the USC will have that discount. Once you purchase that one for 15$, you will have been upgraded!

41. nyscersul

nyscersul

I just waited ages for this to be released, only now you say it needs to be paid for... Could you not have said that initially when you first posted about the update? I was specifically waiting on the mirrored versions. Is the normal version of usc gonna be updated at all?

42. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

No worries, I have just sent you the mirrored modules via private conversation, please check your inbox and if you need further help please let me know.

Apologies if I have not mentioned earlier all the details, but I myself had to decide them as time passed.
    I wasn't quite sure how big will the update be and what it will include. In between all the different tasks, this upgrade took about 3 working months. and I assumed that no one would be surprised that additional spaceships might include additional cost.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  43. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Release date:
    USC Version 3 will most likely be released around August 10th

44. nyscersul

nyscersul

My problem is not with the cost being there for the additional stuff, the problem is the decision to leave the old usc without an update unless you pay for it, what should have been done is that the usc be updated and the additional content added as a seperate pack. Now, the original pack for all those who already paid for it has been left without said update. I understand that the work took a long time, but, it is something which was already paid for, and part of that was towards the updating and such if needed within the pack.

45. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

[This post was edited and changed into a shorter and more professional format for any users who might have a similar question]

The USC was first released back in 2017, and it’s been out for more than 4 years, it started out with far fewer spaceships and a lower quality of textures and layout, if you read V2 releases or V3 documentation you will be able to see all the free changes that have been made to it so far.

With version 3 upgrade we are trying to keep this collection alive and possibly continue to update it with added content.

The upgrade price is to cover for the cost of completely new content (the 2 new spaceships sets and new generic spaceships, etc..) and to also cover the cost of reworking or improving some of the older content which we otherwise would not be able to afford such as adding examples, colors, changing the organization etc...

The issue whether a user is entitled to free updates or not is hugely subjective, and I do not believe we can come to 100% agreement whether something is an addition or a "fix". But if there are any of version 3 updates which anyone believes are absolutely important to them and for any reason they cannot afford the upgrade or feel that they are “fixes” and not additions please do feel free to get in touch and we will be able to sort it out.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  46. nyscersul

nyscersul

I apologise if my post was strongly worded more so than intended, it didnt mean to come across as ranty as it apparently seemed to you, truth be told i had intended more to be a sharing of opinion, however upon rereading it now i can see that it does sound a little that way. Either way, i apologise for having upset you, and would like to clearly say that i was much pleased by the revival of your work, ie, the continued improvements. It was just a shock to see the sudden mention of a price which was not expected.

And i did say that the new work does deserve the additional upgrade cost, that seems fair.

Lets sweep that under the rug, and i invite you to remove the post should you so wish.

*edit* It also seems i missed your mention of offering a solution here and in the inbox first time around, again, my apologies.

Maybe it's the enjoyment of your work that led me to become ... over enthusiastic in my response.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    EbalStudios likes this.
  47. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

No worries nyscersul, I probably have overreacted myself in my first reply.
    Instead of deleting the post I just changed the reply, because I am sure others might have the same concerns. Anyhow, glad it's all sorted out, talk soon.

48. nyscersul

nyscersul

In closing, i'd like to say i am still very much happy with the work by Ebal Studios, all their packs, and will be continuing to support them :)

EbalStudios likes this.
  49. jjdomain

jjdomain

Does the ultimate spaceship creator works wth 2d games? For example, can I create 2d spacespips to be used in your shump boss template?

50. nyscersul

nyscersul

I would guess it depends entirely upon how you intend to render your 2d game. You can use the 3d items in a 2d environment, as long as your rendering is 3d. But, if you intend to limit to 2d images for objects, it could be better to use 2d images. However, you can create 2d images *from* the 3d models, as well. So, it will work, if you really want it too.

EbalStudios likes this.