Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. FengShuiSTAR

FengShuiSTAR

I use layer 31 as a "locked" layer and I put objects I dont want to select accidentaly in it. I'm guessing this is the problem? The grey plane is my water plane and it covers the entire scene at y0 and its on layer 31.

Edit: Yeah I freed up my layer 31 and it works now
    thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    raoul likes this.
  2. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Hi,
    I get a lot of errors when I try to build our game in 2018.1

Attached Files:

3. raoul

raoul

Hello AndersMalmgren,

The errors are all related to the same. Which version are you using? v3.02 or the v3.1 betas? These versions should deal with the errors in the screenshot.

Or did this happen straight after upgrading in Unity 2018.1?

In that case, can you simply select the road network and try to build again afterwards.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I removed the version I had (Beta of V3) and downloaded latest from the store, after upgrading btw.

5. raoul

raoul

Did you remove the package? Unless this is only a test, that is not recommended and not necessary to upgrade to a new version or revert back to an older version.

In any case, it is unlikely the errors are related to that. These errors are covered at the top in the Known Issues section of the manual.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Errors/warnings after package import

In Unity 2017 you may get GetBool and Broken text PPtr in file... errors/warnings after the package import. This has been discussed with the Unity devs. It is a known Unity issue related to prefab file ID's that have become invalid. The tool includes a fix for this that will be triggered as soon as the main road network object is selected in the hierarchy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same applies to Unity 2018. Did you meanwhile try to build after selecting the road network in the hierarchy first?

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. SilverSho0t

SilverSho0t

Nice to hear that :)
    Another question, Do the assets who NatureManufacture was talking will be part of this?

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I got a bunch of errors when I selected the main road object in my scene, but after that the errors were gone

8. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Unity 2018.1.0f2

The project template is 3D with extrans, no scriptable render pipelines etc.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'EasyRoads3D/Unity 5 Standard': invalid subscript 'uv2' at /_Programy/UnityEngine_Versions/2018.1.0f2/Editor/Data/CGIncludes/UnityStandardMeta.cginc(21) (on d3d11)
    3. Compiling Vertex program
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

9. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Hi,
    I am having a lot of issues with connections. Basically I create a scene, then I try to select a handle and create a T or X crossing and nothing happen.
    Same if I try to drag the handle from the end of a road on the top of another road: instead of the creation of the crossing, nothing happen.

Trying to use the package on a Gaia terrain, looking at the videos it seems that it should be pretty easy and straightforward, although I can't even make a simple road, unless I make a single strip.

I am on Unity 2017.3, using the paid version of the easyroad3d package.

When trying to create connection, I see often these errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. EasyRoads3Dv3 Alert: The Circular Control Type cannot be used on the last marker
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    3. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODCDOODOQO:OnInspectorGUI()
    4. UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)
    5. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    6. Parameter name: index
    7. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[EasyRoads3Dv3.ERMarkerExt].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    8. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODCDOODOQO.ODQCCCDQOD (UnityEngine.Vector3& hitPos, Boolean OOCODQCQQD, UnityEngine.Event cEvent, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr)
    9. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODCDOODOQO.OQOCQCOODO (Vector3 pos, Boolean OOCODQCQQD, UnityEngine.Event cEvent, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, Boolean dragStageFlag)
    10. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODCDOODOQO.OnSceneGUI ()
    11. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    12. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    13. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    14. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    15. UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2507)
    16. UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1833)
    17. UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1663)
    18. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    19. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    20. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    21. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    22. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    23. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    24. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)

10. raoul

raoul

Hi

This pack is created by the NatureManufacture team. It will be a separate package.

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. raoul

raoul

Hi AndersMalmgren,

What are these errors? Or do you mean that now after selecting the road network indeed the errors are gone and the project does build well?

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

When selecting the road network you get alot of errors, but after that no more errors and you can build the game

13. raoul

raoul

Hi Rastapastor,

Thank you for reporting this. There are no known issues with this but I will test using the latest Unity version. In any case, the shader is practically the same as the Unity standard shader, only with an offset added.

Thanks again,
    Raoul

14. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Looks really good, the default texture is a bit lacking :D Any ETA on the pack?

15. raoul

raoul

Hi darshie1976,

This is not an error, it is an EasyRoads3D warning.

The Circular Controller type cannot be used on the last marker section when the last marker is connected to a crossing. This is what the message says at the top.

Is that in general when you have issues attaching roads with connection prefabs?

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. raoul

raoul

Hopefully soon :)

The example in the main package is indeed basic. More road types are available in the free demo package, it includes all the assets used in the videos.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/easyroads3d-demo-project-105045

Regarding your other post. It is still unclear, is the problem fixed now? Do you still get a lot of errors when you select the road network? What are these errors?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    AndersMalmgren likes this.
  17. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

After all those errors when selecting the main road network object it works. No more errors

raoul likes this.
  18. f1b0n4cc1

f1b0n4cc1

Hello Raoul , do you have any idea how to handle infinite runner character move 1/3 of 3-ways road each time controller move on screen right or left. What i mean is, how to control character to follow road made by EasyRoads3D and each time player press right or left, character will move 1/3 of road width. So character can only move to left part of road, center of road and right part of road. Thanks for your reply and support

19. raoul

raoul

Hello Bilal,

Are you using the scripting API at the moment to find the location on the track, something like the runtime script example? This returns an index which can be used to get the left and right side of the track. To get the left and right side Vector3 arrays you can use ERRoad.GetSplinePointsLeftSide() and ERRoad.GetSplinePointsRightSide()

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

This pack looks amazing! I hope there is something in there for making high quality medieval-era roads like paved, cobble, dirt, rocky, poor quality wagon roads etc.

21. raoul

raoul

Hi Gabriel,

The pack does include cobble dirt textures. More assets will probably be added after the release. In any case, also regarding this, materials and additional assets, please let us know if you have specific requests.

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. catchmani

catchmani

Hi Raoul,

Thanks for the response and sorry I couldn't get back soon.

So for now side objects are static, I want them to move around, looking to create a movement for them like move from point A to B and back or add more points.

Say, for a racing game with Trees as side objects, they would randomly fall down on to the road on both sides, it would be a surprise to the Player and they need to navigate around the side object to move ahead. To be more simple, creating a Earthquake like effect with side objects.

I suppose you got my point? can you be able to help with this please. :)

Thanks
    Mani

23. raoul

raoul

Hi Mani,

What type of movement is involved?

It seems you want to use the mesh type of side object here. Make sure the combine option at the bottom in the Side Object Manager is not active. Attach your movement script to the source prefab.

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. catchmani

catchmani

Hi Raoul,

I just want side objects to move around instead of being still. Creating movement script will be a new learning for me, will check that. :)

Thanks,
    Mani

25. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thanks so much for your fast response. This sounds really awesome.
    I read something about Aquas support in march last year. Is Aquas now "fully" supported or are you still working on it?
    I suppose that CTS support is not needed and Easyroads will work out of the box with any terrain shader asset like RTP, CTS etc?

Best regards
    Ronny

26. raoul

raoul

You can do all sorts of interesting things this way. As mentioned, this is more source prefab behaviour related, but let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

catchmani likes this.
  27. raoul

raoul

Actually depending on the nature of the original heightmap in that area, if the surrounding values are increased so they cover a reasonable number of terrain points, the "Preserve Terrain Contours" slider may already automatically add noise to the adjusted terrain heightmap resulting in something similar as in the screenshot you posted.

The AQUAS prefabs do work well. More complicated is full integration, the standard way of creating an AQUAS object involves more then only a water plane with a material assigned. If there is interest for this we can discuss this again with the publisher.

Yes, RTP and CTS are terrain shader solutions which should work well out of the box. From an EasyRoads3D point of few there will be improvements in next updates taking advantage of shaders like CTS. RTP does include some additional features that may optionally lock the terrain heightmap. This could be something to take into account when terrain heightmap updates fail.

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. raoul

raoul

Here is a working Standard Shader for Unity 2018. Updates for the specular and roughness versions will follow.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Attached Files:

29. Ben_Iyan

Ben_Iyan

Could someone point me towards a tutorial on how to add a bridge?

30. raoul

raoul

Hi Ben_lyan,

What type of bridge do you want to add?

The demo package includes examples. Two procedural bridge (procedural side object type), these bridges will follow the road. And two based on the mesh type of side object which will instantiate the bridge prefab.

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/bridges.php

The procedural bridge tutorial explains the setup in the side object manager and how to use it in a scene.

First the bridge side object needs to be activated in the main side objects settings of the selected road. After that it is a matter of selecting the marker(s) where you want to add the bridge, select the bridge side object from the available side objects in the "Marker Side Object Settings" section below the main Marker Settings and activate it.

The motorway bridge example tutorial is not done yet because we are looking to make this easier. Setting this up in the side object manager is covered here: http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/side_objects.html#bridgeObject

In the scene this involves two roads. The side object needs to be activated for the higher road. After selecting the four markers, two for both roads, alignment buttons (according the setup in the side object manager) will be visible in the Inspector.

But you could also simply activate it like for the procedural bridge type, align the two markers on both ends of the bridge so the road aligns with the bridge.

Bridges can also be setup as connection objects. Afterwards the bridge can be instantiated directly in the scene from the connections tab, and roads can be attached.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. catchmani

catchmani

Yep, sure thanks :)

Mani

32. Mephilin

Mephilin

Hello!

I have a problem with project size when using EasyRoads3D Pro v3.

When I set up roads network, finalize it and build my project ER adds 100MB to final build (normally my build is ~30MB, so 130MB total is no go). I only used like 4 road types and a few crossings from Demo Project. It seems like EasyRoads places it's resources to Unity's 'Resources' folder, so unforgivably many of them sneak into final build.

I'm newbie to Unity and EasyRoads, so no solution comes to my mind. Could anyone please explain how to cut painlessly what comes to my build from EasyRoads (ideally to ~5MB or less)? Any help would be much appeciated, thank you!

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  33. raoul

raoul

Hi Mephilin,

It sounds as if you are using the full demo package in your project?

The demo package is more intended as a resource to get familiar with the tool. Any assets you like to use, road types, side objects etc. can be exported and imported in your project.

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/so_import_export.php

If you have indeed finalized the road network then I assume you do not need any runtime functionality of EasyRoads3D. In that case you can indeed clean up the resources folder. It is recommended to Finalize and do this always just before a build and in a duplicated project. That way you can always make changes to the road network in a later stage in the original project.

As a starting point in your current situation (after first backing up the project!), you can remove the 4 prefabs in: /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/

In this same folder you can also try removing the "custom prefabs" and "dynamic prefabs" folders.

Please let me know if you need more help with this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. ecquack

ecquack

Hi Raoul.
    Please look at this

Could you help please.
    Thanks

35. raoul

raoul

Hi ecquack,

This is a mesh based connection prefab for which connections are added in the Custom prefab Editor. These connections are linked are linked to the "RA Road" road type.

In the video two roads are connected correctly. Does this issue happen only on this instance?

Can you add a new instance of this prefab in the scene and pull out roads from all four connections. How does this behave?

You can already see something is wrong with this connection by looking at the road type in the Inspector, it says "Default Road" which should be the with this connection associated road type "RA Road". All road vertices snap to the most outer connection vertex. This results in the error message. Something is wrong with this specific connection.

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. ecquack

ecquack

I have been using that connection prefab for all the roads in my scene and it has been behaving correctly. Yesterday when I wanted to add more roads it started behaving like that

Adding a new instance of that prefab and creating a road behave exactly the way you are seeing it behave there, badly

The other connections behave correctly, even the RA Sewer

I agree something is wrong with the connection. I have used it several times well before but yesterday it just started behaving like that. Is it linked to the fact that I deleted my metadata folder and had unity rebuild it. That's the only thing I remember doing that could be causing that

I created a new scene and added the same prefab and it behave more correctly, though it just choose to add side objects by itself and chose

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  37. raoul

raoul

There are two ways to fix this.

First of all, backup your project, just in case...

1. Check/fix the setup of the connection prefab

- General Settings > Crossing / Connection Prefabs > press the "Custom Prefab Editor Window" button.
    - Project Folder > /EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom prefabs/X Crossing RA Prefab_ER > drop this prefab on the canvas of the Custom Prefab Editor Window
    - Select one by one the connections from the Connections dropdown and check the connection settings on the canvas. Make sure they all look the same and the Road Type dropdown has "RA Prefab" selected for all four connections.
    - Press "Apply" at the bottom. Select "No" when asked if you want to update scene Instances.

2. Reimport the demo package, which is probably easier. In the import window deselect all assets and only import

/EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom prefabs/X Crossing RA Prefab_ER

Remove the corrupted prefab from the scene and try again with the newly imported prefab.

Does that fix the problem?

Thanks,
    Raoul

38. mattis89

mattis89

can I blend with the terrain if I have a path that has a bit grass on the edges?

39. raoul

raoul

Hi mattis89,

Yes, that can be done. The demo packge includes various dirt track examples that blend with the terrain. The materials use the ER Road Transparency shader.

Thanks,
    Raoul

40. Ben_Iyan

Ben_Iyan

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a new control point between two existing points?

41. mattis89

mattis89

Thanks! I bought it yesterday!

raoul likes this.
  42. raoul

raoul

43. Ben_Iyan

Ben_Iyan

44. raoul

raoul

Thank you!

Are you having specific issues with the v3.1 betas?

In the next few days a new beta will be available dealing with, among others, 3.1 beta 4 issues with markers not being displayed for "side object only" scene objects

The idea is to release v3.1 together with a new video tutorial covering the general workflow of the full tool. That is still being worked on.

Apart from that v3.1 is ready unless there are still issues? Please report in that case, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Raoul

45. Ben_Iyan

Ben_Iyan

Hi Raoul,

I'm not using the beta (yet) because I want to get comfortable with the tool first (i.e. to rule out beta issues). I find that when I add a T-Intersection, part of it will bend to line up with the new road (which is actually the behaviour I'm looking for). When it does, however, a part of it renders black. If correct the alignment (back to a T), then the black goes away. I noted that 3.1 will introduce Y-Intersections, which better represents what I'm looking for.

Ben

46. raoul

raoul

The bending functionality for T crossings is limited to small angles. Indeed flexible Y-intersections will be introduced which will work on any angle.

But this is not v3.1, this will be v3.2. A prototype that generates the crossings based on road types is done but it needs to be fully integrated in the tool, add connection data and support for sidewalks etc.

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

I am in need to get an instance of the ERRoadNetwork. Since I was having issues doing so I searched here and found a post from July 2015 where you state that calling roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork() will give me the existing road network, and I tried this and it works... I just wanted to make sure that something hasn't changed or... or whatever.

Thanks.

---------------------
    Post I was speaking abotu:

The system currently only accepts one road network object in the hierarchy. When you already have a road network game object in the hierarchy, ERRoadNetwork for_runtime = new ERRoadNetwork(); should reference that exisiting road network.

48. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

Nothing has changed here, roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork() will give you the road network already in the scene.

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Thanks for letting me know. However, as a developer I have to say that is really not a good pattern, as it's not a NEW instance of the object. tsk tsk. :)

50. raoul

raoul

At the moment only one road network object can exist in the scene. That is why it works that way and to avoid complications, especially when this is used in the Unity editor.

Thanks,
    Raoul

mattis89 likes this.