Search Unity

EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi Suavomirro,

I have seen it, didn't play it yet. I belief it indeed also includes railroads.

We have our schedule for new features, but your opinion is very important in the order of implementation. If you have features high on your wishlist, please consider taking the survey and let us know :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. darshie1976

darshie1976

Hi, I was wondering when tutorials will be available.

So far I was able to import the package, add a road element to the project and then with shift-click I did add few road parts, but it won't fit the terrain, no matter what I do.

I did check and uncheck the option to conform to the terrain, but it won't do that. The road in some areas just go below the terrain, so you see only part of it coming out of the ground.
    It really helps to have videos that show the whole process, because reading the manual tutorial, it is a bit difficult to follow.

I had luck only if I use a flat terrain; but that is not really a realistic case; I am not going to make extreme mountain roads but I would expect to go over hills and mild climb, but I can't get the right settings.

Love the asset, although the lack of proper video tutorials is quite a problem for me (not sure about others). The only videos I found on your channel are months or years old; and they are very generic. I did get also the test scene, and tried to experiment on it, but even there, the road does not seem to follow my path at all, so I guess I am missing something.

Thanks in advance!

3. raoul

raoul

Hello darshie1976,

There are written tutorials on our website, http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials.php . Links to provisional v3 videos are listed in the Quick Start section of the manual.

A new introduction video tutorial covering the full tool will follow with the v3.1 release. We are working on this at the moment.

What does this look like? In general, there is Edit mode and Build mode. The road network is created in Edit mode. In Build Mode (middle mountain tab) the terrain is adjusted.

http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/quick_start.html

Can you show images if you are already doing this?

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. ecquack

ecquack

Serious issues with Beta 3
    Please look at the attached images.
    1) The Dynamic prefabs appear and disappear from the connections list. I can't really say why.
    2) Also, in one of your demo scenes, I see you have thumbnails of the connections. But I don't see thumbnails on my scene
    There is also this error that keeps coming up "EasyRoads3Dv3: A source prefab is still in the scene.Please Save / Delete this prefab first before continuing work on the road network itself.

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
    • 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      130.8 KB
      Views:
  5. raoul

raoul

Hello ecquack,

The second screenshot shows that the road Campus_Out_Double_lane is selected. In v3.0, the available connection prefabs for the selected road are displayed further below in the most left Scene tab. In V3.1 these prefabs are displayed in the connections tab visible in the screenshot. In the same screenshot there is the button "Instantiate New Connection Prefab". This will deselect the currently selected road object and show all available connections prefabs like in v3.0. The same will happen when you click in the scene.and open the connections tab once again

Do you mean thumbnails of the connections in the Inspector? That is activated through the Prefab Display slider also visible in the screenshot you posted. Most left is text only, the slider controls the size of the thumnails.

Since when do you get this message? Do you see "Temp Crossing Prefabs" as a child of the Road Network in the hierarchy. This is for source prefabs dragged from the project folder in the scene for editing. There is an issue with this in v3.0 that can happen when you select a connection prefab in the hierarchy. The v3.1 beta does actually have a fix for this.

When exactly do you get the error messages in the first screenshot and what is the exact error message?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  6. SveinEven

SveinEven

Hello Raoul!

Again I have an error message that I could use your help in figuring out.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EasyRoads3Dv3 ERROR: Updating road road_1073_primary_2 Failed
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    3. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODQCDQOODO:OOQDODQQQO(ERModularBase, OCODQODCOO)
    4. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCODQODCOO:OnInspectorGUI()
    5. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    I got this message after trying to update all primary roads in my scene.
    What might have caused it is that since I have such an insane amount of roads in my scene, I have had about 95% of them unactivated while I worked on the other 5%. Thus, they did not get updated when I pressed the buton to update the roads in my scene.

Have you experienced this error message?
    If the cause is that I had most of them unactivated, is there another way I should do it? Having everyone active drains enormous resources from my computer, and I can bearly get any work done.

7. raoul

raoul

Hello SveinEven,

I will check updating roads while having roads in unactive state and see if I can recreate the error. Does it only raise the error for this road?

Earlier this week I was doing some test with large osm files, 3000+ roads which does cause delays. This has been optimized. Since you mention you have so many roads I can send an alpha build if you want to test this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. SveinEven

SveinEven

No, I get about 157 messages, and after manually going to a road, and moving a marker, the road updates, and the error for that road will not show up again.

EDIT: After trying with residential roads I get 999+ error messages, whichs makes me believe it is because most of them have been unactive.

I would love to test it out!

9. ecquack

ecquack

Thanks Raoul.
    The first 2 issues have been solved by your suggestions.
    The third one concerning the error display, I have not manually instantiated a connection, but yes, I see a "Temp Crossing Prefabs" as a child of the Road network. I am not the one who placed it there manually though.
    Another error I see is this - image attached. That number on the right ( that reads 4460) just keeps adding up until I deselect the road. When it is adding I cannot see the dots on the road segments.
    See this video

Attached Files:

• 03.JPG
      03.JPG
      File size:
      173.2 KB
      Views:
  10. raoul

raoul

Yes, in that case it seems related to the inactive roads, I will test this.

Do I have your email for test build? Can you otherwise send it through PM or email?

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. raoul

raoul

Hi ecquack,

Glad to hear you got those two issues resolved.

In the video the errors are repeatedly thrown after each scene view update, that is also the reason why you cannot see the road markers.

"Temp Crossing Prefabs" is created automatically after dropping a source prefab in the scene from the project folder. This is related to editing a source prefab in the project folder. Source prefabs should not be used directly in the road network, there for it is placed under "Temp Crossing Prefabs" to isolate it from the main road network.

Can you look in the hierarchy and see which connection prefab is placed there? Is this indeed actually a prefab part of the road network? I mentioned this in my previous post, in v3.0 there is a bug that,depending on the prefab type, can result in this situation when selecting the actual prefab in the hierarchy. Can you remove this prefab from the scene and instantiate it again through the connections tab in the Inspector? Does that also resolve the errors?

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. SveinEven

SveinEven

I have PM'ed you my email :)

And, I might be looking in the wrong places, but is there a way to modify the sidewalk size? Width etc.
    And is there another way to apply it other than at a crossing?
    I also noticed that the sidewalk is raised, but it does not get lowered on the outside, and the terrain is not deformed to fit there either. Is this something you are working on, or is there a setting that I have overlooked?

13. raoul

raoul

Thank you!

Currently sidewalks can be edited in the Inspector for the selected crossing in the hierarchy.

"Outer Curb" in the above screenshot does that.

Terrain deformation to fit the outer sidewalk height was dicussed recently. That can be added, but it will not work well in standard situations unless the terrain has a very small heightmapscale or the sidewalk is wide enough with enough terrain points available to and match it with the road and with the sidewalk.

In v3.2 or v3.3 sidewalks will be a separate section in General Settings. The idea is to also support this on custom prefabs.

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. ecquack

ecquack

Raoul,
    There is no Temp Crossing Prefab
    See this video again. The same numbers keep adding up

And you can see that by moving the viewport, the whole node network is selected and the markers still don't appear on the road

15. raoul

raoul

In your first post one of the messages in the console was:

"EasyRoads3D: A source prefab is still in the scene.Please Save / Delete this prefab first before continuing work on the road network itself."

That message can only appear when a gameobject with the name "Temp Crossing Prefab" exists in the road network hierarchy. So it seems this was dealt with and this message does no longer appear, is that right?

Can you select the error message seen in the video and post the full error here? After which action did this start to appear?

The roads in the scene look like the roads in the demo package with the complex crossing prefab. Are you using this exact same prefab with the sewer component?

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. raoul

raoul

@ecquack

To confirm, I can recreate the repetitive error using that specific prefab, X Crossing RA Prefab. It does occasionally happen after snapping middle markers to insert the crossing, the new v3.1 b3 feature.

Is that indeed what you did? Can you remove that prefab and insert it directly in the scene through Shift + Click in that case. Or insert the prefab at the selected marker through the connections tab in the Inspector.

This will resolve the issue with the errors. Thank you for reporting this, it will be fixed!

There are other issues with this new v3.1 b3 snapping feature related to custom prefabs in the demo package with only 3 connections. A new update for all this will follow later this week.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  17. SveinEven

SveinEven

These options are grayed out for me when I have targeted the crossing, see the picture.
    Probably just something I overlooked, but I cant seem to find it.

When you say it, I understand why the terrain deformation would not work :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  18. raoul

raoul

Can you open the General Settings foldout further above, and activate "Include Sidewalks".

Is this the Primary T Crossing prefab in the demo package? Some settings seem a little bit off. For example "Inner Segment Distance" in the Corner Settings, this can be used to fix the irregular outer line marking in the corners.

Also, this road texture is not ideal for sidewalks which are currently attached to the sides of the road. In a previous post above I mentioned new Sidewalk options in v3.2 or v3.3. This also includes the option to position the sidewalk relative to the edge of the roads/ crossing edge.

Thanks,
    Raoul

19. SveinEven

SveinEven

I thought I had done that.... Thanks xD

I think this is the default T crossing. I tried to create a new one, but didnt work xD (Though I see there is an option "Save as New Sidewalk Preset" so I will try that one! :)
    Not a big deal though. And yes, I noticed those settings. Very good!

Ah, yes, I saw that post. Very nice! All the features you have in this asset is blowing me away! It is a delight to work with this asset!

raoul likes this.
  20. witcher101

witcher101

Does this support procedural runtime road gen

21. SveinEven

SveinEven

Feature suggestion: add the possibility to update a sidewalk preset.
    Unless this is already a feature, then I am sorry. I could not find it.

22. raoul

raoul

The current sidewalk preset options are limited to creating a new preset so the same settings can be used quickly on other crossing connections and other crossing prefabs.

The mentioned sidewalk upgrade will no longer have these sidewalk Inspector options for crossings. Instead this will be assigned automatcially based on the involved roads with the option to select another preset. With that workflow the sidewalks will always be build according the current preset status.

Thanks,
    Raoul

23. raoul

raoul

Hello witcher101,

What exactly do you mean with procedural? Roads can be generated at runtime through the scripting API by passing an array of control points. Procedural road creation in a way of providing start / end point and auto create the ideal path based on max slope angles etc. is not part of the tool. Other users have posted their implementation of this in this thread in the past. But it is not something that has been requested so far. If there is demand for this, please let us know, survey

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. Ben_Iyan

Ben_Iyan

This is really a noob question, and I'm a little embarrassed to post it, given how smart everyone else in this forum sound. I am following the written documentation and have started a simple road. The problem I'm having is that once I add a second (or more) point(s) the section of road is surrounded by a white rectangle and I can no longer see the terrain underneath. What is the purpose of the white rectangle, and am I missing a setting to make it translucent? When I look at Youtube tutorials, there is white to the sides of the road, but not in front so you can still see the terrain. Given that this is basically Step 1, it doesn't get more noob than that. Any help would be great.

Ben

25. raoul

raoul

Hi Ben,

These white surfaces, which are also seen sometimes on screenshots posted here on the forum, give a representation of how the terrain will be flattened according the road shape in Build mode.

This becomes especially clear when moving a marker upwards further above the ground, the surfaces snap to the ground on the outer sides.

Inspector: General Settings tab > Scene Settings > Hide White Surfaces

This controls the visibility of these surfaces. Alternatively the other highlight options above "Hide White Surfaces" can be used.

All these options can be toggled on/off with the space bar.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  26. ecquack

ecquack

Hey Raoul,
    My problems are temporarily solved. I just deleted that road segment and made a new one. I would like to appreciate the vegetation studio support, it's really saving my @ss, I had a loooong road network through my forest and this functionality saved me big time
    It adds vegetation studio masking to the road segments but not the connection objects. For the moment I'll just add the masking component manually to a game object, which is more tedious but it would be good if it worked on connection objects too

Attached Files:

27. raoul

raoul

Yes, that needs to be taken care off. An additional node at the center position of the connection should work well. This will be part of the next update.

The issue with the errors was actually most likely related to side object scene handles being active (the H key). One thing that was missing in the process of inserting prefabs by snapping markers was resetting the road selection. This together with side object scene handles being active is what caused the errors when the previously selected marker index was higher then the new total number of markers of the same still selected road after inserting the prefab. This too is resolved.

Thanks again for reporting that,
    Raoul

28. ecquack

ecquack

So the corrections will available in the next update?

29. Ben_Iyan

Ben_Iyan

Thank you, Raoul. I have another question, if I may. I'm following a Youtube tutorial on making a river using EasyRoads

and near the end he widens the "road" so that the edges fit into the terrain. He seems to be using an older version of the free tool (I'm practicing on the free one as well) but I don't seem to have that option. Is it only available now in the full version?

Ben

30. raoul

raoul

Yes, one more thing needs to be done and then the next update will be prepared, available either today or Monday next week.

ERVS.jpg

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. raoul

raoul

Hi Ben,

That is indeed an old video where the free version of EasyRoads3D v2 was used.

Please have a look at the free v3 demo package (if you have the Pro version)

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/easyroads3d-demo-project-105045

In the back left of the scene you will see a river example based on side objects.

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/rivers.php

But I belief the road width option is available in the free version, look in the Inspector of the selected road near the top.

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

I'm getting an error when I attempt to add a new road. Currently I have only one in the scene, so I go to "Add New Road/Object" Select my road (created with multiple side objects: street lights, trees, builds) and the moment I press the "Add New Object" button I get the following error. I am version 3.0.2

NOT! a rush. Have a good weekend

------------------------
    ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[EasyRoads3Dv3.ERMarkerExt].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ODOQQCQOCO.ODODQOQOCQ (UnityEngine.GameObject go, EasyRoads3Dv3.SideObject so, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad roadScr, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERSORoadExt soData)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ODOQQCQOCO.OQDCQQODOO (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad roadScr, EasyRoads3Dv3.SideObject so)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.QDQDOOQQDQODD.AssignSideObjects (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, Int32 roadTypeInt, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad ODDCQQQCDQ)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODCDOODOQO.OnInspectorGUI ()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1253)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility: processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

33. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

This is a very standard process for which no other issues are known. So a little bit more info is required.

There are several references to side objects in the error, so it looks like it is related to that.

1. What type of side objects are involved?
    2. What type of side objects?
    3. Can you isolate the issue by one by one deactivating these side objects for that road type and create a new road of that type?
    4. Once you have found which side object(s) causes issues, can you create a new road without side objects and activate that particular side object manually. Does that work?

Thanks,
    Raoul

JamesWjRose likes this.
  34. raoul

raoul

V3.1 beta 4 is now available on our website

This update is mainly new crossing snapping system related. It includes further optimizations for custom connection prefabs like those in the demo package.

The update also includes fixes for recently reported issues with this.

Please let us know if there is still something not working well with this in your situation.

The update also includes improved support for Vegetation Studio for vegetation removal on crossings like the image posted a few posts above.

Please backup your project first before importing.

Thanks,
    Raoul

julianr likes this.
  35. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Thanks for the speedy reply. I created a new road, added back the side objects, one at a time and ... nothing happened. It works again. The previous instance of the road still errors. NOT a big deal. If you want more info, just let me know. At this point I am willing to deal with the issue.

Have a great weekend

36. raoul

raoul

Do you mean that activating the side objects manually works well and that creating new instances of this road type with these side objects pre activated always fails. Or did only that specific instance fail?

Enjoy the weekend!

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. catchmani

catchmani

Hi Raoul,

Firstly appreciate the effort put in for creating the asset, it's super awesome :)

I'm using the pro version, was able to build roads and side objects no issues with that. My only query is how to enable Colliders for Side Objects? Using Side Objects from Demo. Game objects go through the Barriers instead of stopping, maybe I missed something, please advise.Thanks!

38. raoul

raoul

Hi catchmani,

Thank you, glad to hear you like it!

There are 3 side object types.

The mesh type of side object instantiates the source prefab. In this case the colliders should already be part of the source prefab.

For the other two side object types, Shape and Procedural (like the barriers), you can either select "Add Mesh Collider" or "Add Box Collider" further below in the Side Object Manager (2nd tab from the right in the Inspector) after selecting the specific side object from the side objects tab and dropdown.

Please let me know if you need further help with this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. catchmani

catchmani

Hi Raoul,

Thanks, that's the exact answer I'm looking for. :) In the Object Manager, there are two check boxes for colliders which I missed, this solves it :)

One more question, is there an option to move/rotate Side Objects randomly? Like at certain point some side objects will move on to the road and become obstacles.

Thanks
    Mani

40. raoul

raoul

Hi Mani,

For what type of side objects do you need this?

Random rotations are supported for all side object types. What you describe sounds like Y rotations, is that right? Objects can be spawned with Random Y rotations "Y-axis Rotation" dropdown.

Or do you mean at runtime? That depends on the exact behaviour you are looking for. A script that triggers the rotation could be added to the source prefab.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  41. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Hi, was trying to search this thread for any leads on how to do dirt and country roads?

42. raoul

raoul

Hi Kermedia,

It is very much recommended to work with road types.

New road types can be created in Inspector > General Settings tab > Road Types

Materials, such as dirt track materials, can be assigned to the new road road type.

The free demo package includes a range of additional assets (all assets seen in the video), including dirt track examples.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/easyroads3d-demo-project-105045

The demo scene includes red lights, these objects include Inspector buttons with links to tutorials on our website.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

kerrmedia likes this.
  43. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

One question though:
    I suppose cliff ways like this are not a problem with Easyroads? Having a big montain and you need a way from the button 0m to 1000m height? Something like that:

Does Easyroads support Vegetation Studio?

Cheers
    Ronny

44. MrG

MrG

RonnyDance and raoul like this.
  45. raoul

raoul

Hi Ronny,

Yes, you can do that

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/road_tools.php#distributeYEvenly

Create the road shape from start to end, markers will snap to the ground at that position. Then follow the above tutorial. That will create the exact shape in your image. You can then adjust indent and surrounding values for a rough shape of the terrain area surrounding the road, make sure to highlight this area (General Settings > Scene Settings) so it is clearly visible how the terrain will be leveled. Afterwards you can fine tune the terrain shape.

Vegetation Studio is supported in v3.1, betas are part of the asset store import. The latest v3.1 beta 4 can be downloaded from our website.

http://unityterraintools.com/download.php

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. raoul

raoul

47. SilverSho0t

SilverSho0t

Hello, thank you for this sale, I will take this opportunity to buy your great asset. Thank for making this.
    I have just a little question, whatever your answer I will buy it. Does highway ramps/exit will be available soon? By soon I mean in the next 6 months?

48. raoul

raoul

Hi SilverSho0t,

That is certainly the plan, hopefully sooner.

The core functionality of the tool is finally about ready with the upcoming v3.1 release which is in the final beta stage. It includes road snapping to auto insert crossings.

The next two major new features will be Y crossings and highway ramps. Both are already being worked on. Roundabouts will be upgraded as well.

We could also provide temporary prefabs if there is demand for this. You can also do this yourself if you are familiar with modelling. These models can be imported into the system, they will act just like the built-in crossing prefabs.

Thanks,
    Raoul

SilverSho0t likes this.
  49. FengShuiSTAR

FengShuiSTAR

This is what happens when I build terrains. Any idea what I did wrong? (attached image)

Attached Files:

50. raoul

raoul

Hello FengShuiSTAR,

Just to be sure, what does the Terrain look like in Edit Mode? Is the problem related to rectangle area with the flat terrain? In that case, what is the grey plane object, is it on layer 31? Or are there any other similarly shaped objects on layer 31?

Thanks,
    Raoul