Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

@br0kenp0ly

Your test project uses beta 8.7. I imported an update with debug info, it actually instantly fixed the problem.

Could you backup your project and try importing the latest v3.02? Or otherwise the v3.1 beta?

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. zKici

zKici

Thank you that worked.

Can I also remove the meshes on the other prefabs in the Resources/dynamic , like the X, T crossing and my custom ones?

3. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

I have about 8 roundabouts in my scene, but I have about 30 T crossings. I wasn't concerned with "updating instances" of the roundabouts, I can just easily re-add those. My problem was I couldn't find where to update instances of T and X crossings either.

4. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

Btw, I started a new project just to see how the "Import Road Data" worked. I checked off the roads in OSM settings and browsed to my OSM file. It's been sitting here for about 10 mins stuck on "Building Road 1 of 27". I also see an Argument out of range exception at the bottom. Any idea?

I used Real world terrain to import the terrain and used the same lat/long for the OSM file.

stack trace
    ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[EasyRoads3Dv3.QDQDOOQQDQODD].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OOOQDCCDDD.Extract (System.String path)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OQQDDDQCDC.OOOQDQDOOQ (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODCDOODOQO eScr)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODCDOODOQO.OnInspectorGUI ()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1245)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

5. raoul

raoul

Yes, you can do. A new mesh asset will be created if it doesn't exist yet. But for X, T crossings this is not really required. The issue with the mesh asset already being assigned to the source prefab is only roundabout related.

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. raoul

raoul

The idea at the moment is to make these change to the source prefab. The "Refresh Scene Instances" button is avaialable in the Inspector after selecting this source prefab in the project folder. After this process you may have to do a General Settings > Scene Settings > Refresh Road Network. This will refresh possibly attached roads.

In a later update it will also be possible to update the source prefab after changing a scene instance of that prefab.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  7. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @raoul, after updating to the latest beta available on you site I'm getting 3 warnings although I think those are quite important:
    The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'T-Crossing') is missing!
    The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'cul-de-sac') is missing!
    The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'rounded_crossing') is missing!

Looking at those prefabs I notice the is a component named 'Nothing Selected' grayed out, looking at a crossing prefab that doesn't throw a warning I see it has a ER Crossings an ER Crossing Prefabs component. Is it save to add those missing components or do you advice another approach.

Kind regards,

Wim

8. raoul

raoul

Could you send me the osm file so I can look at it?

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. SveinEven

SveinEven

I know I can create the road by hand, but there is a possibility to import the roads either with the asset "Real World Terrain" or by getting data from OSM. I would much rather do that than creating every road by had since I have almost 100 square kilometers with terrain from the real world that needs roads :)

Thanks, I had the RWT run overnight, and somehow, my computer ran out of memory while doing this, so I will try and use the built in OSM import instead since I found the longtitude and latitude i needed.

EDIT: Super quick question Raoul. The area I need is bigger than what OSM allows to be downloaded. Is there a way to get the bigger area or do I then need to do it piece by piece?

raoul likes this.
  10. raoul

raoul

Hi Wim,

In which folder are these objects located? For example 'cul-de-sac' is this one of your own prefabs? Because the cul-de-sac prefab from the early betas is no longer part of the package. It used to be part of the /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/standard prefabs/ folder. And I belief the other two used to be in this folder as well. They are no longer used.

The prefabs in that folder that are important are "roundabout" and "X crossing", the only prefabs in the current package. If the ER Crossings and ER Crossing Prefabs component are correctly attached to these prefabs and all other prefabs in "/dynamic prefabs/" and "/custom prefabs/", then all should be good.

But yes warnings like you posted is why it always recommended to backup projects first before doing upgrades. We haven't seen package upgrades /imports go wrong for a long time, but it is always good to do that, just in case...

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Those are indeed in the EasyRoads3D\Resources\standard prefabs. I'll remove those old prefabs just not to clutter the project.

12. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Hi!

It seems to be better with the latest version, but I still get some strangeness in my road markings. Hmm.. Gonna try with a clean install & see if it works out better.

13. SveinEven

SveinEven

I have a small problem. First off, the size I would like to import is not possible to download from OSM. but that is fine, I can just import it several times.
    But the problem now is that I get an error message when the asset attempts to build the road.

on road 1 of 1321, it sais

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[EasyRoads3Dv3.QDQDOOQQDQODD].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OOOQDCCDDD.Extract (System.String path)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OQQDDDQCDC.OOOQDQDOOQ (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODCDOODOQO eScr)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODCDOODOQO.OnInspectorGUI ()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1253)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

14. raoul

raoul

I can confirm that the same happens in the project you sent yesterday. It becomes noticeable when zooming in.

I will look into this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. raoul

raoul

This is exactly the same error as LSUTiger85 posted further above. It looks as if both of you are doing the same thing.

I just tested OSM imports, it works fine. But this does depend on the OSM data.

Where did you get the data file from? Can you send it so I can look at it?

Thanks,
    Raoul

EDIT: Today I tested osm files from http://www.openstreetmap.org/ to see if something has changed. It imports well.

16. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

I just made a clean project with the latest easyroad package and it seems to work just fine. No idea what happened, but as for now it works as it should :) Thanks for the quick replies! Appreciated!

upload_2018-3-21_10-15-7.png

17. raoul

raoul

Just in case, I can actually recreate this in the current version. It seems to be related to custom connection prefabs. It doesn't happen for built-in connection prefabs. So I will look into this anyway :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

If you are creating a 100km square terrain, you are going to run into a hell of a lot more issues than your road network. You can split that up into multiple terrains?

19. raoul

raoul

If the area is bigger then what OSM allows then you can download multiple smaller areas. Just make sure to import the OSM data relative to the full terrain bounds by entering the original lon/lat coordinates matching the terrain bounds in the respective terrain lon/lat fields.

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. SveinEven

SveinEven

Hmm. I can try a smaller area, and see if that helps. The file itself is 10mb, so I dont know if that is an issue?
    You can download the file from here if you wanted to try it out:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wp7oticmhuwuvaj/map (2).osm?dl=0

Yes, that is one of the options in Real World Terrain. The world is split up into 49 different terrain objects.

If the coordinates that are chosen in the "Global Terrain Coordinates" option, that is the bounds you talked about?
    So I should have my entire terrain bounds there, even if I import smaller than that?
    And if I happen to import more by mistake, will it just cut that away? If so, that is a genius feature!

EDIT: So I've tested a while, and I cant seem to make it work. I have tried everything from the biggest area OSM allowes, and all the way down to something that isnt even 1 square kilometers, but I still get the same errors.
    This is the last area i tried, and I only got "ArgumentOutOfRageException" error.
    https://imgur.com/efsXWzV

With bigger areas I got these errors.
    https://imgur.com/LjTTVAU

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  21. raoul

raoul

I tried the osm file in your post. All I did was add a terrain to the scene, based on your comments I scaled it up to 50.000x50.000. Then I added a new road network object. Because of the large data file "Unclassified" in the OSM Settintgs was unchecked, then I pressed "Open OSM File" and selected your osm data file. Parsing starts automatically, 3606 roads were extracted.

Processing takes a while because roads are automatically split at cross points. I have never tested this on such a large file, this can use some optimizing which I will look into, but it extracts fine:

osm1.jpg
    osm2.jpg

Can you give the exact steps you take?

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. SveinEven

SveinEven

So my exact steps are:
    1. Open the scene
    2. Choose/create the Road Network
    3. Enlarge Import Road Data
    4. Checks Global Terrain Coordinates and OSM settings
    5. Clicks Open OSM File
    6. Choose File
    7. EasyRoads stops on "Building Road 3 of 1321"

At this point I will have to shut down Unity, because the import windows stops, and I cant exit it. Although Unity works fine in the background.

23. raoul

raoul

What is involved here? What are the settings?

Is this another data file?

What is the terrain size?

This time you mention that the import windows stops but that Unity works fine in the background? When do you get the errors in your previous post?

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. SveinEven

SveinEven

This is the same file as I provided you.
    The terrain is a bit bigger than the terrain on the file is.

https://imgur.com/Mz1eLgF
    This image shows the settings I were reffering to, and the window etc. Unity works fine in the background, but as you can see, there are several error messages that is displayed. Although, sometimes they stop comming, and other times they just keep comming untill i close hte program.

25. raoul

raoul

You have road types assigned to OSM road types. I think I was able to recreate the issue.

The error posted by both you and LSUTiger85 is thrown when the last road type in the list of available road types is selected for one of the OSM road types. This is fixed in the next update.

For now, could you try avoiding this situation either by selecting another road type or simply by adding a temporary new unused road type in General Settings > Road Types. That way none of the selected road types will be the last in the list. Does that indeed fix the problem?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    hopeful likes this.
  26. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

It won't let me upload the file. Go here and click export:
    Is there a way to raise/lower your entire road network?

27. raoul

raoul

Is this about uploading your osm file to the forum? Did you see my post above?

This is currently not possible as an editor option. It might be added in a protected way because generally you want to be careful with this and avoid moving the road network unintentionally.

It can be done through the scripting API:

ERRoadNetwork.Translate(Vector3 positionchange);

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. SveinEven

SveinEven

I'm afraid this didnt work. I created two new roads, but I am still getting the same error.

By the way, is there a good place to get roads? Or do you possibly have a pack? I see the textures you have in the video looks amazing :p

EDIT: Sorry, I completely missunderstood. Yes, that fixed the problem. I am currently building and crossing fingers! Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  29. raoul

raoul

Glad to hear that indeed resolved it. While looking into this yesterday I added some additional features. In the next update it will be possible to cancel processing at any time and you will be asked if already existing objects in the road network should be removed when importing road data.

All assets in the video are part of the demo package, https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/easyroads3d-demo-project-105045 , it is a free download if you have Pro. :)

And more will follow...

Thanks,
    Raoul

30. SveinEven

SveinEven

Awesome!
    I also encountered a bug i believe. See the image.
    What happened was that I were trying to move the points, and the end points on the roads (That are on top of other end points), more often than not, will not move the actual road for one of the points. So I have to move both end points, then the road will snap back to the point it didnt follow.

errors.png

31. raoul

raoul

Yes, that is a known issue related to two markers being at the same spot after the road is split. The OSM parser will cut roads in segments when crossings are found. This results in markers being at the same spot. That is why this is more likely to happen after importing road data.

It is harmless and markers of the involved roads need to be moved anyway in those occassions. But it will be fixed.

Thanks,
    Raoul

[EDIT] this situation is fixed as well in the next update

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    hopeful likes this.
  32. imDanOush

imDanOush

In case of avoiding any problem, I always remove the old and import the newer EasyRoads when updating it. But whenever I do that, I have to re-create my custom connections. Would you please tell me where is the custom connections data? I could be able to back up that data and just don't delete it when upgrading EasyRoads.

33. raoul

raoul

Hi D4N005H,

The prefabs themselves are located in:

/Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/dynamic prefabs/
    /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom prefabs/

Please do not remove the package, it is written in the docs and in the readme.

When removing the EasyRoads3D folder all newly created dynamic prefabs, custom prefabs, road types and side objects will be removed as well. Road types and side objects can be regenerated by selecting the road networks in your scenes. But that is not the case for dynamic and custom prefabs.

In early Unity versions it was recommended to remove the package before doing an upgrade. But package imports are much more stable nowadays in Unity. It is safe to import updates over the existing version. We have not seen anything go wrong with this for years. But it is recommended to first backup the project, just in case...

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful and imDanOush like this.
  34. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @raoul,
    Having a question, because I can't seem to manage it to work. I have a road of the type Primary Road (adjusted width to 10 m to match my game), I'm having no problem in setting fences, barriers, lamppost etc however for one seection of the road I want a bridge. I tried everything but no simple or pilar bridge is shown when selected those for the perticular markers. I must be missing something crusial but just don't get it what. Can you give me some guidance and/or pointers so I can check? Or is there any tutorial available? I checked you demo scene but don't know how exactly you build those roads.

Thanks,
    Wim

35. raoul

raoul

Hi Wim,

Do you indeed mean the bridge does not appear after activating it for markers?

The bridge side objects are setup in the side object manager in a way that they are disabled for all markers by default. After activating the side object for the road, all that is necessary is activating them in the side object settings of the selected marker(s). Can you check the child objects of the selected road, there should be one gameobject for the simple bridge side object and one for the pillars with several child instances for each pillar.

The bridge tutorials are not complete yet, but the simple bridge example in the demo scene is covered:

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/bridges.php

Thanks,
    Raoul

Mark_01 and cygnusprojects like this.
  36. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi Raoul,

That was it indeed, wasn't aware I had to set those side objects active for the markers. Thanks!

raoul likes this.
  37. zKici

zKici

Hi Raoul,

I instantiate new roundabout, remove 3 connections so that it only has 1, reposition the last one. Connect it to a road.

After that the roundabout is not selectable, the "yellow" center is unable to be selected at all. This continues to happen to me with the roundabouts,

Why can't I select it, perhaps to adjust rotation, position etc.

Note: If i manually select it via inspector, and add an additional connection, I also can not create a road from the new connection out (not selectable).

Link to roundabout that cannot be selected is in your PM.

Help

Thank you

38. raoul

raoul

Hi zKici,

Are you using the v3.1 beta? This update hides the position gizmos etc. for the main road network object because they are not used. But this actually also affects other objects like roundabouts when you select them in the hierarchy. This is fixed in the next update.

However, you do not need these gizmos for roundabouts. They can be moved and rotated when selecting them from the main road network, just like the first roundabout in your movie. Roads are also attached with the main road network selected. You only want to select the roundabout in the hierarchy, to edit it.

Thanks,
    Raoul.

39. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

40. raoul

raoul

Hi Wim,

Can you check the geometry? It looks as if there are overlapping triangles. You should clearly see that when switching the Scene View shading mode to for example Wireframe of Shaded Wireframe.

In your previous posts you mentioned the previous beta was also imported before. Is this the same project? This side object was part of it as well.

Something might be wrong with the setup of this side object in the Mesh Editor Window, the start / end offsets more specifically.

This image is from the tutorial. Ignore the blue handles in the middle with the arrows. The other 4 blue handles represent the start / end offsets. The source mesh will be cut accordingly. It looks as if the mesh is flipped. Can you zoom in to the handles, move them a little bit so they for sure snap to the vertex row representing the start, resp. the end of the bridge, afterwards press the Apply button.

Does that make sense and does it solve the problem?

Thanks,
    Raoul

41. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @raoul,

I indeed did have an older beta in the same project.
    It does makes sense so I did let the markers snap to the vertexes in the editor:
    2018-03-25_15-51-08.png
    and it does improve a lot (see video link). However there is still flickering going on and when looking closely it is because over overdraw.
    Link to video: http://cygnusprojects.com/upload/EasyRoadsFlickeringBridge.mp4

Wireframe does look normal to me though:
    2018-03-25_16-07-07.png

Thanks,
    Wim

42. zKici

zKici

Yes I am using 3.1 beta,

So for moving the roundabout after it's connected to one road, I need to select it in the hierarchy?

I cannot select it otherwise to move, rotate.

43. raoul

raoul

Yes, the wireframe does look as it should. But in the video it looks as if perhaps two bridges are generated? Can you check the hierarchy for the bridge object. Can you try to deactivate/activate it? Or move a marker so the brdige updates.

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. raoul

raoul

Please do not select it in the hierarchy to move it. Instead, with the main road network selected in the hierarchy, select the yellow roundabout center handle. This is visible in your video at 0.34. With main road network selected in the hierachy a roundabout is selected, the position handle is displayed correctly.

Thanks,
    Raoul

45. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Hello Raul,

Couple of questions:

1) Got the asset from the Unity Store, and I would like to install the current beta but your site wants a serial number. How do I get that?

2) I am attempting to add some Side Objects (round balls that glow near the left/right sides of the street) However when I add the sidewalks, by pressing the white-ball on the corner of the X-crossing, the side objects disappear. What dumbass thing am I doing?

Thanks

46. raoul

raoul

Hi JamesWjRose,

1) The v3.1 beta is also included in the EasyRoads3D Pro download on the asset store. For website downloads you can register your asset store purchase on the download page, http://unityterraintools.com/download.php

2) That is an issue, side objects are removed and rebuild when updating the road, but no in the case of disabling a sidewalk. This is fixed in the next update. Meanwhile, deselect > reselect the X-crossing triggers the update. Can you try this to see if your situation is indeed related to this?

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Got it registered via your site, thanks for that. I can see the info about the this beta on the Asset Store, but *I* do not see any way to get it there. (just an fyi)

I have installed the beta and I will see if I can reproduce the issue with the latest version. I thought you should know that it updated my road's material. It is highly likely, in my ignorance, that I used the default material and you updated it so it's ALL my fault. I just wanted you to know.

In any case, I will reply tomorrow to let you know how it goes.

Have a great evening

48. raoul

raoul

The beta is located in the EasyRoads3D root directory, it is listed as well in the package preview popup.

Apart from quick upgrades, the EasyRoads3D Pro package assets are very limited for exactly that reason, to avoid changed materials, side objects etc. being overwritten after importing an update. Unfotunately in this case, that is how the Unity package importer works.

If you do change materials of the provided assets (also regarding the demo package with additional assets) it is recommended to create your own dynamic prefabs, etc. so nothing will get overwritten after a package upgrade. This is covered in the recommended workflow section, the first pages of the manual.

Yes, please let me know if the temporary fix does not work for you. The coming week a new beta will be available with a fix for the issue itself.

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Yea, I noticed today that it is INCLUDED with version 3 (SO embarrassed, sorry) I just realized that I have a hybrid of versions 2 and 3 in my project. I am backing up the project and then removing all traces and then reinstalling just version 3. I'll get back to you with the result of the items disappearing, or not, once this is all done.

Thank you again for the asset and the quick responses

50. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @raoul,
    Tried all suggestions but no luck, at runtime looked at the wireframe and everything seems to be drawn ok and only once. It seems like the material itself is causing this, which would be very strange.

I also noticed that after selecting the road network gameobject and selecting another gameobject the default move, rotate and scale gizmo's don't draw.

Wim