Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Thank you for the feedback.

These are all processes commonly used when building the road network. Further details would indeed be useful. Also, what are your terrain specs. heightmap resolution, multiple terrain tiles? And is this Unity 5 32bit or 64bit? Because 32bit and 4097 heightmap resolution could become problematic on v2. So far no issues are known for v3.

Also, is the Unity lighting system consistently running in the background, is "Auto" near the bottom of the lighting window switched on? This can cause lagging because of the consistent updating after road geometry changes. Unity crashing as a result of this situation is unknown, but it is perhaps something to check?

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. CloudWeight

CloudWeight

Hi Raoul,

Just wanted to update you. I disabled Auto-Generate Lighting and I haven't had a crash yet. I'm not sure if that was definitely the cause or simply because I restarted Unity from my PC being off. I'll keep you updated if I do experience a crash however.

3. raoul

raoul

Ok, please let me know how it goes. That would be much appreciated and interesting to know if this is auto-lighting related.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. AnAppGames

AnAppGames

Hello i am considering buying this asset, however, i need to know that it suits my needs

Will i be able to carve roads into mountains and can the roads be simple dirt roads that were meant for people, not cars?

5. raoul

raoul

Hi Censureret,

It can carve roads through mountains, you can control the steepness. Or did you mean tunnels? EasyRoads3D can generate tunnel geometry. The tricky part is the terrain, the Unity terrain system does not support holes at the moment. There are various packages that can do this, the demo package also includes an example but at the moment this is more for flat horizontal surfaces.

The package includes dirt track materials but but more intended for cars. But these textures can easily be adapted. Are you looking for something specific?

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. nl2012

nl2012

Hi Raoul, what an amazing tool! But maybey im doing something wrong. I switched to vegetation studio in my project. But Easyroad3D V3 pro doesn't seem to remove grass and trees. Is this a compatibility issue or am i doing something wrong...thank you

7. raoul

raoul

Hello nl2012,

Thank you, glad to hear you like it!

Grass and tree removal currently works for the unity terrain object itself. Support for Vegetation Studio is probably available in the next update. A beta will be available soon.

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. nl2012

nl2012

Thank you for your quick response, keep up the good work (-:

raoul likes this.
  9. zulo

zulo

Hi,
    I am considering buying the V3 Pro, what is the status of the ability to use kml files? Will it work in V3 Pro? I tried the demo but I guess that function isnt availble in that version. I'm very used to gis and geographical data and the possibility to use kml files sounds very interesting.

10. raoul

raoul

Hi Zulo,

KML files are indeed supported in the v3 Pro version. That said, usually we get osm related questions. If you want you can send a kml file for testing.

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. Philkrom

Philkrom

Hi, I bought this asset (V3Pro) to draw hiking trails on a tiled terrain. But I am afraid there is something I don't understand : how can the path be "stuck" to the surface, I mean an hiking trail is not like a road, "horizontal", but parallel to the mesh of the terrain ? I hope there is a way to do this, but I don't know how. Any tutorial somewhere ?

12. raoul

raoul

Hi Philkrom,

The roads are laid out on top of the terrain. Can you show a screenshot of what you like to achieve?

In any case, the unity terrain object is cell based. This does have its limitations when it comes to drawing shapes more "inside" the terrain, if that is indeed what you are after? This will require a more complex setup, custom terrain shaders or masks. There is a swamp road in the demo scene with an irregular shape on top of the terrain.

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. CloudWeight

CloudWeight

Hi again Raoul,

Haven't had any crashes lately since turning off auto light generation, which is good! I've run into another problem during my builds, I'm getting that shader error someone else had on this thread.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'EasyRoads3D/Terrain/ER Terrain Mesh Tesselation': maximum ps_5_0 sampler register index (16) exceeded at line 147 (on d3d11)
    3. Compiling Fragment program with SPOT SHADOWS_DEPTH
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1
    Was there ever any development on this problem? I'm currently using the Terrain Mesh Tessellation in my project.

14. raoul

raoul

Hi ModularBuilds,

Glad to hear you got that woring now.

Can you try what Stephen Strong suggested, open that shader and on line 58 change "target 4.6" to "target 5.0"? This will be in the next update anyway.

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. CloudWeight

CloudWeight

Yeah I did try that and it still gave me the error. I've tried other things but I wasn't able to get anything to work.

16. raoul

raoul

Did you check theck the player settings as well? Other Settings > Rendering

Are these set to use Direct3D11? Either by reordering the default or list or by removing Direct3D9.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/eas...g-new-road-system.229327/page-88#post-3383066

Thanks,
    Raoul

[EDIT] also, for these two shaders the normals can be incorrect resulting in wrong lighting. In that case, please remove line 153 resp line 212:

nrm.g = nrm.r;

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  17. CloudWeight

CloudWeight

I'm finding the Unity Shader Compiler is a bit unreliable. If I goto the scene with the shader in it and manually save the scene, then the shader compiles fine in the build. However, if I try and build my game from a different scene without doing this little "hack" it will throw an error regardless.

I use Direct X 11 and OpenGL Core (In replacement for DX9)

18. raoul

raoul

Yes, that does seem strange. I have tested a Windows standalone build both with the demo scene open and another scene with no road network object. Both builds are completed succesfully. Also when OpenGL Core is added.

I will see if I can find more info.

Thanks,
    Raoul

19. raoul

raoul

I will contact Unity regarding this. Can you give full details? Unity version, build target platform

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. CloudWeight

CloudWeight

I recently upgraded to 5.6.5p2 to fix an issue I had. Not sure if this version has some problems that I'm not aware of that might be causing this. I'm building for PC only right now with DX11 and OpenGL Core on Linear light space with Deferred rendering. Anything else?

I'm using NGSS for custom shadows and Advanced Terrain Grass for my deferred lighting. Not sure if this might cause a problem but the more information the better I suppose.

21. raoul

raoul

Thank you! Let's see what they say. If this is not a known issue they will probably ask for more details. In that case I will prepare a small project isolating the issue to that particular terrain mesh shader. I will send it to you for testing.

Thanks again,
    Raoul

22. SveinEven

SveinEven

Hello again Raoul!
    Sorry for my late reply. 500 might seem a bit high, but in comparison, my world is 20k long.
    But that is not an issue atm. I have not yet bought the pro version, but will do so eventually.
    In the meantime, I'm using the free version, but it does not seem to deform the terrain.
    What can I do to improve this?

Attached Files:

23. raoul

raoul

Hi SveinEven,

Yes, but a cam position of 500m higher then the terrain is still a lot with regard to the Unity terrain LOD system. Put another object near the road and it will disappear as well. As mentioned before one way to deal with that are the offsets.

Is the screenshot taken in Build Mode? That is when the terrain is flattened according the road shape.

Also, is this the 20k long world? Are multiple terrain tiles involved? The free version terrain deformation is optimized for a scene with only one terrain object. Multiple terrain tiles are not supported in the free version.

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. raoul

raoul

@ModularBuilds,

Indeed ideally Unity would like to receive a bug report submitted from your machine. I will prepare a small scene and send it to you with additional info but there is one thing you can try first.

This could be related to a compiler variants issue. This is what you can test with the scene open that uses the specific shader:

1 Open Edit/Preferences/Graphics Settings (or Edit > Project Settings > Graphics)
    2 At the bottom of the inspector now select "Save to Asset", to create a ShaderVarientCollection with all the shader information found in the active scene.
    3 Add this shader variant collection to the preload list (above the "Save to Asset" button)

Do builds with other scenes selected still fail?

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

Hi, sorry if this have been asked before, but does easyroads3d still support river creations? and does it support river flowmaps?

I saw a new river tool in the asset store, and was wondering if i can do the same with Easyroads3D, because the workflow seems very similar to the road creation system.

26. Philkrom

Philkrom

Hi Raoul, thanks for your answer. Here 3 photos so you can better understand what I mean.
    I want to draw a hiking trail on this terrain.

So I added a road with no terrain deformation

I get this

But the road is not parralel to the terrain, so half of the road is masked by the terrain.

Is there a way, a parameter somewhere to make the road stuck on the terrain like a ribbon, following the terrain shape ? Or give thickness to this object ? Best regards !

27. raoul

raoul

Hi Vanidash-Studios,

V2 had a dedicated river object but it was more aimed at generating the river shape, surface and carving the matching riverbed in the terrain. The idea was to use it with the water prefabs provided by Unity. Meanwhile there is indeed a wide
    range of river / water packages available on the asset store.

Although there is no dedicated river object in V3, it can still do the same as v2 and you can create your own water presets. The demo package includes an example with a river prefab (no flowmaps at the moment) assigned to a target slot in the Inspector. This target prefab slot makes it possible to use it with other river packages.

The idea behind EasyRoads3D is to provide an affordable all in one mapbuilder solution. In that respect the package name doesn't fully cover its potential as hopefully already can be seen in the demo package :). It includes a lot more then roads only. Expanding the river options is on the list. We have a survey on our website where this is covered as well. You can participate...

Thanks,
    Raoul

Mark_01 likes this.
  28. raoul

raoul

Hi Philkrom,

First of all those surfaces stretch over a long distance sideways. This means that the terrain has quite an high heightmapscale (size vs heightmap resolution). Is that right? Flatterning the terrain according the road is in this situation will indeed not look good.

Aligning the road with the terrain is currently not directly available in the Inspector options but it has been requested before and can be done through the scripting API. I can provide a code example. The question is whether this will look good on terrain cell edges because of the terrains heightmapscale although it does look fairly smooth.

With regard to thickness, do you need cross sections? Custom road shapes with thickness are not yet supported by the built-in crossing system. It is being worked on and available in v3.2. Meanwhile this can be done by importing mesh models in the system, tracks pulled out of these models will inherit the custom shape.

If no crossings are required then this post shows how currently custom road shapes can be created. But you probably still want the road to snap to the terain on the outer edges.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Mark_01 likes this.
  29. raoul

raoul

v3.0.2 is available on our website

The next major update, v3.1, includes new Scene View operations involving adding and inserting crossings which can be complex when different road types and sidewalks are involved. We decided to first release this as a beta, available later this week.

Meanwhile v3.0.2 has been released.

This update includes changes to how procedural side objects are generated. It signficantly reduces the processing time, especially when switching back and forth between Build and Edit mode.

Furthermore the road type export issue (unselected road types being exported instead of the selected) has been fixed.

The demo project also includes updated versions of the shaders recently discussed here on the forum.

http://unityterraintools.com/download.php

As always, please backup your project first before importing the package

The asset store updates will be uploaded today.

Thanks,
    Raoul

mikko_to, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  30. SveinEven

SveinEven

Thank you for the reply!
    Yes, I am aware, And I will probably put a height limit.
    This is taken when the road is built and finalized.
    This is of the long world yes, and there are multiple tiles involved, but not at the place of where the road is.
    But if the free version cant handle that, it is understandable why it would not work.

Would a work around be to disable all the other terrains, set the road, build it etc and then activate the terrain?

31. raoul

raoul

Yes, you can try that. The free version uses Terrain.activeTerrain

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. raoul

raoul

The new asset store versions of the updates announced further above are now available as well.

Please backup your project first before importing the package

Thanks,
    Raoul

Mark_01 likes this.
  33. SveinEven

SveinEven

Hello again Raoul!
    Disabling the other terrain tiles worked! The road looks very good.

Just curious, does the pro version offer the possibility of changing the terrain texture when deforming it?
    If not, that could be a nice feature to add in the future :)

34. m85a

m85a

Hi!!!
    It will be great if you demonstrate how to work with OSM data and subsequent configuration. Thank you for Your package road!!!

35. raoul

raoul

Hi SveinEven,

Glad to hear you managed to test that in the free version!

With Pro you can select any of the available terrain splat textures, set fade distance, and have the road shape baked in the terrain splatmap. This can be pre set this for each road type so you don't have to do this for all the individual roads in the scene.

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. raoul

raoul

Mark_01 likes this.
  37. SveinEven

SveinEven

That is a feature I have overlooked! Does that mean that you can have EasyRoads3D to automatically generate the roads dependent on the data from OSM?
    If that is so, how is the integration with the asset "Real World Terrain" that gets data from OSM and creates a terrain based on that. That would reduce my workload by a lot!

38. raoul

raoul

Yes, the integration is based on how we use it. Our terrains are generated from high resolution DEM material with the road shape already visible in the terrain, we enter the lon lat coordinates in the terrain fields, download the road data of separate required areas from openstreemap. The roads will be laid out on the correct position on the terrain.

Real World Terrain has direct integration. They have their own parser and use the EasyRoads3D scripting API to generate the roads. We discussed that recently with the Infinity Code Team, the publisher of RWT. There are some things to fix and I also suggested further support for road type matching like what is possible when importing osm data directly. That will improve the integration between the two tools.

Just in case, as mentioned on our website, crossings are not yet generated automatically. This is WIP and not active yet, it currently works for roads connecting to X and T crossings etc. But roads/crossings in real world situations can be complex. It will probably never be possible to do a fully realistic simulation, but as the built-in crossing options grow so will full integration...

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. SveinEven

SveinEven

Hmm, the main roads would still be very good to have. My terrain is scaled up 2 times. Would it still be possible to generate the roads for it? Just scale everything up I guess?

EDIT: Sorry for filling up your thread with small, and probably obvious questions. The more I know, the easier it is to have the asset bought :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  40. raoul

raoul

That should be fine. Within reasonable limits, you can use any terrain scale. The road positions will either be calculated matching the bounds of the road data in the osm file, the roads will fill the entire terrain (multiple terrain) bounds or they will calculated relatively to the entered matching terrain lon / lat coordinates. Scaling to far down should probably be avoided, parsing a 100x100km data file in a terrain size 1000x1000 will most likely not work well.

And you can indeed select which road types to parse, osm data file can have a massive amount of data.

Thanks,
    Raoul

41. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

Hi, is it possible to use 2 types of materials for the same road? i have 2 different asphalt textures, i want to use them both so the road doesnt look the same all the time, so lets say for an example one section is clean asphalt and then its worn asphalt *(im using the pro version)

42. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

how can i avoid the over stretched/compressed texture on curves? and also sometimes the terrain will show through the road when i look at certain position, especially when i move close to it
    Road.png

43. raoul

raoul

Hi Vanidash-Studios,

There are several ways to do that. It depends on the exact effect you are after. Do you want to use the different textures over short sections or longer sections?

Can the two textures blend? In that case you could try a similar material as used on the mountain road near the coast, the road with the walls.

Otherwise roads can be split using an I Connector, each road section can have its own material. For shorter sections vertex colors and a custom shader could be used. A shader example for that will be added to the demo package. It is already possible to set vertex colors per marker, more options will follow. Meanwhile, if you are familiar with meshes and vertex colors, you could also do this yourself after the road is generated.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Vanidash-Studios likes this.
  44. raoul

raoul

For sharp bends like in the image the circular controller type is recommended. It will result in a smoother bend.

This will however not necessarily solve the issue marked with the red circle. Are height differences involved here? Height differences and bends are tricky because it results in an irregular road shape in a small area. Depending on the terrains heightmapscale (size vs resolution) there will be a limit to what the terrain can handle. This is covered on the troubleshooting page in the manual including solutions like raising the road network using a stronger shader offset. In 3.2 road thickness will be supported built-in. That will also make this less likely to happen. Road thickness can already be done using custom road shapes together with custom connection prefabs based on meshes.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Vanidash-Studios likes this.
  45. CloudWeight

CloudWeight

I was sure I seen this mentioned recently but I can't find it. How do you enable the transform Gizmo on the road marker? It was showing but I think I pressed something to disable it and now I can't position my roads very well. I tried pressing a bunch of keys including M but to no avail.

46. raoul

raoul

Hi ModularBuilds,

The M key activates the yellow rectangle Move handle visible in the image. The default transform gizmos can be selected just like for ordinary game objects, through the transform toolbar in the Unity editor or the Q, W, E, R keys, in this case the W key.

Thanks,
    Raoul

CloudWeight likes this.
  47. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

Is there a way to make a race track with a loop? indexfujyduy.png

48. raoul

raoul

Hi SirTwistedStorm,

A while ago I started on a prototype that creates the loop but it is not integrated in the system yet. I will have a look at it.

For now these loops can also be modeled and imported in the system like custom connection prefabs so the track will snap to them like with the built-in connection system.

Thanks,
    Raoul

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  49. CloudWeight

CloudWeight

Was messing around with the demo project and got this error when trying to take a road off of one of the crossings. The marker moves but the actual mesh doesn't update anymore, just error spam.

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    2. Parameter name: index
    3. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Int32].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    4. EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad.OQCQOQCDCD (Boolean ignorePrefabAlignment, Boolean forceAutoRotate)
    5. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODOQCOCDQC.ODDOCCQOQC (UnityEngine.Vector3& hitPos, Boolean OCCOOCOQDO, UnityEngine.Event cEvent, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr)
    6. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODOQCOCDQC.OOQOOCDQDD (Vector3 pos, Boolean OCCOOCOQDO, UnityEngine.Event cEvent, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, Boolean dragStageFlag)
    7. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODOQCOCDQC.OnSceneGUI ()
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    9. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    10. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    11. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    12. UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2392)
    13. UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1721)
    14. UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1553)
    15. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

50. raoul

raoul

Hi ModularBuilds,

This area in the demo scene includes 4 instances of this crossing prefab. I just opened the scene, switched back to edit mode and disconnected all roads from all crossings. That worked without issues.

Can you provide more info? Does this happen on a specific crossing instance only or on all? If not, does this happen on a specific connection? Have you tried more things? Did you get other errors in the demo scene in general or when disconnecting roads from other crossing types?

Or, is the road still connected to the I Connector on the other end? If so, what happens when you disconnect it from that connector?

And with regard to previous conversations, and to eliminate possible causes, is this in Unity 5 or Unity 2017? I tested in Unity 2017.3

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018