Search Unity

1. We want you to join us at GDC this year! Take a peek at all of the events we will be hosting during the week of GDC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Tell us about your experience here and you’ll get early access to the 2018 Game Studios report + more goodies.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.3 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Thank you for the feedback.

These are all processes commonly used when building the road network. Further details would indeed be useful. Also, what are your terrain specs. heightmap resolution, multiple terrain tiles? And is this Unity 5 32bit or 64bit? Because 32bit and 4097 heightmap resolution could become problematic on v2. So far no issues are known for v3.

Also, is the Unity lighting system consistently running in the background, is "Auto" near the bottom of the lighting window switched on? This can cause lagging because of the consistent updating after road geometry changes. Unity crashing as a result of this situation is unknown, but it is perhaps something to check?

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. ModularBuilds

ModularBuilds

Hi Raoul,

Just wanted to update you. I disabled Auto-Generate Lighting and I haven't had a crash yet. I'm not sure if that was definitely the cause or simply because I restarted Unity from my PC being off. I'll keep you updated if I do experience a crash however.

3. raoul

raoul

Ok, please let me know how it goes. That would be much appreciated and interesting to know if this is auto-lighting related.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. Censureret

Censureret

Hello i am considering buying this asset, however, i need to know that it suits my needs

Will i be able to carve roads into mountains and can the roads be simple dirt roads that were meant for people, not cars?

5. raoul

raoul

Hi Censureret,

It can carve roads through mountains, you can control the steepness. Or did you mean tunnels? EasyRoads3D can generate tunnel geometry. The tricky part is the terrain, the Unity terrain system does not support holes at the moment. There are various packages that can do this, the demo package also includes an example but at the moment this is more for flat horizontal surfaces.

The package includes dirt track materials but but more intended for cars. But these textures can easily be adapted. Are you looking for something specific?

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. nl2012

nl2012

Hi Raoul, what an amazing tool! But maybey im doing something wrong. I switched to vegetation studio in my project. But Easyroad3D V3 pro doesn't seem to remove grass and trees. Is this a compatibility issue or am i doing something wrong...thank you

7. raoul

raoul

Hello nl2012,

Thank you, glad to hear you like it!

Grass and tree removal currently works for the unity terrain object itself. Support for Vegetation Studio is probably available in the next update. A beta will be available soon.

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. nl2012

nl2012

Thank you for your quick response, keep up the good work (-:

raoul likes this.
  9. zulo

zulo

Hi,
    I am considering buying the V3 Pro, what is the status of the ability to use kml files? Will it work in V3 Pro? I tried the demo but I guess that function isnt availble in that version. I'm very used to gis and geographical data and the possibility to use kml files sounds very interesting.

10. raoul

raoul

Hi Zulo,

KML files are indeed supported in the v3 Pro version. That said, usually we get osm related questions. If you want you can send a kml file for testing.

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. Philkrom

Philkrom

Hi, I bought this asset (V3Pro) to draw hiking trails on a tiled terrain. But I am afraid there is something I don't understand : how can the path be "stuck" to the surface, I mean an hiking trail is not like a road, "horizontal", but parallel to the mesh of the terrain ? I hope there is a way to do this, but I don't know how. Any tutorial somewhere ?

12. raoul

raoul

Hi Philkrom,

The roads are laid out on top of the terrain. Can you show a screenshot of what you like to achieve?

In any case, the unity terrain object is cell based. This does have its limitations when it comes to drawing shapes more "inside" the terrain, if that is indeed what you are after? This will require a more complex setup, custom terrain shaders or masks. There is a swamp road in the demo scene with an irregular shape on top of the terrain.

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. ModularBuilds

ModularBuilds

Hi again Raoul,

Haven't had any crashes lately since turning off auto light generation, which is good! I've run into another problem during my builds, I'm getting that shader error someone else had on this thread.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'EasyRoads3D/Terrain/ER Terrain Mesh Tesselation': maximum ps_5_0 sampler register index (16) exceeded at line 147 (on d3d11)
    3. Compiling Fragment program with SPOT SHADOWS_DEPTH
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1
    Was there ever any development on this problem? I'm currently using the Terrain Mesh Tessellation in my project.

14. raoul

raoul

Hi ModularBuilds,

Glad to hear you got that woring now.

Can you try what Stephen Strong suggested, open that shader and on line 58 change "target 4.6" to "target 5.0"? This will be in the next update anyway.

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. ModularBuilds

ModularBuilds

Yeah I did try that and it still gave me the error. I've tried other things but I wasn't able to get anything to work.

16. raoul

raoul

Did you check theck the player settings as well? Other Settings > Rendering

Are these set to use Direct3D11? Either by reordering the default or list or by removing Direct3D9.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/eas...g-new-road-system.229327/page-88#post-3383066

Thanks,
    Raoul

[EDIT] also, for these two shaders the normals can be incorrect resulting in wrong lighting. In that case, please remove line 153 resp line 212:

nrm.g = nrm.r;

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018 at 9:08 AM
  17. ModularBuilds

ModularBuilds

I'm finding the Unity Shader Compiler is a bit unreliable. If I goto the scene with the shader in it and manually save the scene, then the shader compiles fine in the build. However, if I try and build my game from a different scene without doing this little "hack" it will throw an error regardless.

I use Direct X 11 and OpenGL Core (In replacement for DX9)

18. raoul

raoul

Yes, that does seem strange. I have tested a Windows standalone build both with the demo scene open and another scene with no road network object. Both builds are completed succesfully. Also when OpenGL Core is added.

I will see if I can find more info.

Thanks,
    Raoul