Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're a macOS 10.13 High Sierra user take be sure to read this before updating Unity.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

@raoul It didn't help with changing the intend value. But for now it works with lowering the min surrounding to two meters and use two meters at the places close to buildings

2. raoul

raoul

Yes, both Min Indent and Min Surrounding affect terrain deformation. I belief the default Min Indent is about 5. With your high resolution terrain you can probably decrease this to about 1 or so. That is why I was specifically mentioning the Min Indent value.

The surrounding values represent the distance over which the terrain will be flattened to its original height. This value is not limited to the terrain specs.

Thanks,
    Raoul

3. painkiller_93

painkiller_93

Hi,

I'm trying to create a custom junction for a highway entrance. The problem is that I can't select the vertices I want:

[​IMG]

I would like to select them like this:

[​IMG]

It doesn't let me select them though. What am I doing wrong?

4. raoul

raoul

Hi painkiller_93,

Is this a flat road section, or not? What does the triangulation look like at the front and back where you want to create the connections?

First thoughts are that it is closed which is not what you want. In that case you can take the highway overpass meshes in the demo project as an example.

If not, could you then send the model to us so we can look at it?

Also, it is recommended to have the pivot point near the center of the bounding box. I think it is just safe as it is now because it should be within the bounding box, but it works easier in scene view when it is more in the center.

Thanks,
    Raoul

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

@raoul
    Hey I need to increase the width of the road, but its grayed out

upload_2017-12-6_19-7-15.png

6. raoul

raoul

Hi Andres,

Controls like the Road Type dropdown and the width are disabled once the road is connected to a crossing which I assume is the case for the road in your image?

The current behaviour is that roads update to crossing settings. This makes it possible to quickly pull out new roads from crossing connections with the correct settings.

The first sections of the manual explain the recommended workflow:

1. Create Road Types specific to your scene
    2. Create Dynamic crossing prefabs (or custom prefabs connections like painkiller_93 post above ) and assign road types to the connection settings.

When using road types and you want to change the width, you can do that in the Road Type settings and apply the changes to scene instances. This will also update crossing connections with that road type assigned.

You can change the road width for a specific road in the respective crossing connection to which the road is attached, this will however break the connection with the initially selected road type.

In a later build once more dynamic crossing types and options are available it will be possible to update crossings to road changes in which case the above mentioned controls will no longer be disabled.

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. painkiller_93

painkiller_93

I created it in a separated scene using easy roads, then exported to obj. It's made of four road pieces: two short sections at the bottom for the highway and the single lane access, a wider and long piece for the blending and the final short piece for the highway with extra lane. Then I added two guard rail on the sides as separated side objects:

[​IMG]

BTW when I exported to obj the model appeared mirrored and had to use blender to mirror it back. Is this normal?

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Sounds like a very important feature for a large world. I mean, you will need to change width settings pretty often durignm the course of any scene to adjust for gameplay, balance etc, etc

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I can not build my project because of easy roads

upload_2017-12-6_20-1-0.png

Tried to reimport easyroads no dice. 2017.2p1

10. CDstudios

CDstudios

Hey Rauol, here again with a quick question.

Is it possible to switch the target terrain of the road network by putting the ER Terrain script on a different terrain object?

Basically I used an asset called Real World Terrain which generates real-world EasyRoads networks, but the terrain didn't end up being ideal.

Thanks.

11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

When I reimport I get a singel error

upload_2017-12-6_20-36-15.png

12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

very strange once in a while I get 1 error but most often 3

upload_2017-12-6_20-38-9.png

13. raoul

raoul

The "GetBool" error was reported today by someone else. I have not seen it before and have to look into it.

The Broken text PPtr message is also strange. It started to pop up in Unity 2017. It seems import related. It is harmless with regard to creating the road network but it can stop creating a final build. I am looking into it. So far we found that on our end the warning no longer appear after temporarily moving the specific prefab to another location and then move it back.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  14. raoul

raoul

Hi CDstudios,

You can remove or disable the original terrain and drop the other terrain in the scene with the road network. When selecting the road network, a message will appear that a new terrain was found. You will be asked to create backups of the terrain if you want. Other then that there is nothing additional to do assuming that the terrain matches the road network.

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. raoul

raoul

To simplify setting up the prefab I would probably not add additional side objects to it. You can add the guard rails separately to the newly create prefab after creating it.

I belief prefabs might get rotated 180 degrees, but not mirrored. Is that indeed the case with your prefab?

With regard to the connections, it is hard to see this from a screenshot with this angle and distance. Could you send the model to us?

Looking at the images in your first post it appears as if the mesh has thickness and is closed otherwsie there would be black dots on the outer right side as well. Are these indeed separate objects entirely created in Unity? It would be helpful if we could have a look at it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

This map is probably another month in the making so not super critical, but we would really like it adressed until then since it blocks our build. I only tried reimport wil trying moving the prefab.

Also I found this bug when connecting a 10m road to a 7 meter road. Pretty common that a larger main road connects to a smallar side road so I hope it will be fixed

upload_2017-12-6_21-14-37.png

17. CDstudios

CDstudios

So I deleted the old terrains, and added a new terrain called NewTerrain. I didn't get any prompt/message to my knowledge.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the deleted terrains are still listed in the dropdown, but the new one isn't there.

18. painkiller_93

painkiller_93

Yep, they aren't rotated but mirrored along X axis.

By exporting without side objects I could select the vertices and configure the junction but I'm having issues with the mirrored problem (road appears with normals inversed).

I can send you the objects I get when exporting with and without side objects so you can check them out. Where should I send them?

19. raoul

raoul

Are you going to create roads at runtime? If not, then you can safely move this prefab outside the resources folder before doing a build.

Regarding the crossing, when you look at the real world there are many things pretty common :) but it all needs to be implemented...

I will try this setup with different widths and it looks as if this can be resolved fairly easy, but please bear in mind the complexity of all this and that it may not be able to do everything you want it to do, and in the way you want it to work, out of the box. It all needs to be implemented. Crossings will be further optimized so it can handle different road types better, also regarding different materials. Once again, if it currently cannot do what you want it to do you can always resort to the custom connection prefab system.

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. raoul

raoul

I just tested this. After adding a new terrain to the scene and selecting the road network it did notify me that a new terrain was found and it is listed in the dropdown. The original terrain is no longer listed, both when disabling it and when completely removing it.

Could you try this in a small test project? I cannot see how but perhaps it is related to real world terrain?

But there is a small glitch, the dropdown does not accuraetly show all terrains if they have the same name. But this is a visual glitch, they will still all be processed if "All terrains" is selected. This will be fixed.

Thanks,
    Raoul

21. raoul

raoul

Thinking of it, does this actually happen after creating the new prefab or is the .obj already mirrored? If the .obj is mirrored, how did you export it? I belief that the Road Network Export currently mirrors it on the x-axis. This can be undone by using -1 for x scale. The individual road export option does have several export options to choose from including "Unity" which will export it as it is.

I checked your profile but it seems I cannot start conversation with you and send my email. You can contact us through our website in my siganture. There is also a contact option on the asset store page, https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/469

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Nope VR, everything needs to be baked, even lighting :D

edit: ok, if its fixed its fixed

23. raoul

raoul

Ok, there is very little information available about this. I am about to contact Unity, there is a similar issue reported on the Unity issue tracker but Unity 5 related. Hopefully they will be able to tell more about this.

In any case, if it is not resolved by the time you have to create final builds, this can always be fixed as mentioned in my previous post. If you do not need that specific crossing prefab at runtime it is not required in the final build.

Thanks,
    Raoul

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  24. painkiller_93

painkiller_93

Just sent you the models to info@unityterraintools.com
    I get the obj already mirrored. I think I tried to mirror it back using - 1 as X scale but when creating the prefab it gets mirrored again

25. raoul

raoul

Thank you!

It is midnight over here, I will look at it tomorrow and get back to you.

Raoul

26. raoul

raoul

The UV Tiling can actually already be controlled and deal with crossings with different connection widths like in your image.

crossingUVTilling.jpg

But obviously a different texture is required. There is an experimental Texture Utility available for that in General Settings > Materials & textures > Texture Utility. You can define left and right offsets for line info on textures. Based on the default road width and the target road width, it will crop the image preserving detail corresponding to the left right offsets.

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. CDstudios

CDstudios

Resolved the previous issue by using different settings in RWT. Now I need to be able to change the width of the generated road network.

[​IMG]

The only way I can think to do this would be to change the Road Width value in General Settings, but this doesn't work probably because of the road type selected. Any way to go about changing the width of the entire road network?

28. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Cool bud, will play around with that!

29. raoul

raoul

I had a look at this. Did you get the version without guard rails to work? Because for me it seems to work well although no materials were included. Below is the .obj version, but the fbx version also correctly displayed all black dots around the mesh which is an indication that all is good.

painkiller.jpg

Please check the prefab, it is not perfectly horizontal aligned, it is below y = 0 on the left side as you can see above. The terrain will be leveled at y = 0 so in this scenario the terrain will break through the left side of the road.

To add the guard rails I took the below steps:

1. The newly created prefab was dropped in the scene from /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom prefabs/
    2. The Guard_Rail_Left-guardrailMat child prefab was dropped as a child to the above prefab and positioned at (0,0,0)
    3. With the new prefab selected: Top Menu > GameObject > Apply Changes To Prefab
    4. Remove the the prefab from the scene

New instances in the scene will now also include the guard rails.

Let me know if you have more questions related to this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

30. raoul

raoul

I just noticed that changing the tiling resets the selected road type. As this is entirely crossing related, this is not what you want. So you probably want to leave this for now if indeed the connections have road types assigned. If you want I can send an update.

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Also I noticed that it was no easy way to change width of the roads. I had to delete all crossings, change the width and then create new crossings. Maybe a way to automate this?

32. raoul

raoul

Hi CDstudios,

Do you mean you want to scale the full road network? That is not possible as it will cause all sorts of complications. But if the road network is ready you can finalize it. The script components will be removed and you can scale it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. raoul

raoul

That is why I mentioned Road Types in my previous post. If you work with road types, you can assign road types to connections. Attached roads and newly pulled out roads from crossings will inherit the specifc road type settings.

In a later stage you may want to change the width of a specific road type. This can be done in General Settings > Road Types and these changes can be applied to existing scene instances. Crossing connections with this road type assigned will update as well.

Furthermore, all crossings of a specific type share the same ID. Although not possible yet, in the future this can be used to update other crossings sharing the same ID. But you do not always want that as you may have customized a single crossing which you do not want to update, this needs to be worked out further.

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. NordstroemSAAB

NordstroemSAAB

I'm now trying to alter our asset bundle workflow (the one where we turn finished terrains into asset bundles for faster loading speeds) to include roads. However, after destroying roads and connections (so far only IConnectors, no crossings yet) that are no longer needed the BuildRoadNetwork() function start throwing MissingReferenceException. The only thing I can image causing this is some leftover of the deleted roads and/or crossings being referenced in the RoadNetwork.

The asset bundle creation scripts are not run in Play Mode, if that matters.
    I'm properly destroying each road and connection with the Destroy() function when I no longer need them.
    I don't think it's terrain related as it hasn't given troubles after switching terrains.

The problem arise once roads have been destroyed. At first I didn't destroy the connections, meaning they piled up in large numbers. The problem existed already then and I figured that they were referencing the destroyed roads, but destroying the connections didn't solve the problem. The problem doesn't happen when I don't destroy roads, but not destroying roads would mean that they would pile up in massive numbers and that's simply not feasible.

35. raoul

raoul

Hi NordstroemSAAB,

I just did a test, I created two roads using the scripting API.

Before roadNetwork.BuildRoadNetwork(true, true, true); the first road was destroyed using

DestroyImmediate(road.gameObject);

The other road build fine without errors. This was also tested by passing an array of the created roads including the ERRoad object with the destroyed gameobject.

Do you have a simple code example? And what is the full error?

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. painkiller_93

painkiller_93

The version without guard rails works but having issues with the x-mirrored thing. In the image you posted you can see its x-mirrored (it should be a higway entrance, not an exit). I tried to mirror it back by making a prefab in Unity setting x scale to -1 on all the pieces. It looks fine but when I create the junction prefab the road is flipped (you can see the road from under the floor but not from upside):

Unity Prefab:

[​IMG]

Created junction prefab:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

37. painkiller_93

painkiller_93

I think I got it working by exporting the four pieces one by one using "unity" coordinates option, then making a prefab with the four objects.

38. raoul

raoul

I was just writing that down as an alternative :)

When exporting to .obj the x axis needs to be mirrored. This is currently not done for the full road network export (this is fixed). But it is done for the "Unity" coordinates option for individual road objects. I can send you an update if you have more exports like this, involving more then 1 object.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. painkiller_93

painkiller_93

I have just exported the four connections I needed for now, so I think I have no hurry to get the update.

40. CDstudios

CDstudios

To clarify, the aim is to expand just the width of each individual road in the network, not to uniformly scale the entire road network or anything like that

[​IMG]

41. painkiller_93

painkiller_93

Hey, I have another small issue with the custom prefabs. Looks like the direction of the roads gets inversed.

Look at this for example. On the left side I have two road pieces and on the right side two custom junctions. You can see the upper road piece has got the right direction in order to link it with the junction while the lower one is inversed:

[​IMG]

Now when I join the pieces to their junctions the problem appears as they get inversed:

[​IMG]

You can see that the one that was inversed is the one that now is looking on the correct direction.

Can this behaviour be changed somehow? As a workaround I can just build the roads with inverse direction like the lower one on the image but it gets a bit tricky when handling side objects as the left and right sides are inversed when looking in the direction of the road texture.

42. raoul

raoul

That is directly related to this post https://forum.unity.com/threads/eas...g-new-road-system.229327/page-82#post-3314610

Are your roads based on road types? Is that how RWT builds the road network? Like the integrated OSM import options allowing you to assign road types to OSM road types.

Otherwise indeed each road has to be updated manually.

Thanks,
    Raoul

43. raoul

raoul

For custom prefabs, which can have any type of shape, the system can in the current state (where connections are not linked) not know in which direction connected roads go. For example, if a prefab is dropped in the scene, you can pull out roads in all directions. Is the texture allways inversed? For dynamic prefabs and X crossings / T Crossings, the UVs on opposite roads do match regardless of how the road is created.

To fix this for custom road shapes you can try the "Flip Road Texture / UVs" button in the Inspector. Does that help? Or did you mean something else?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  44. painkiller_93

painkiller_93

the "Flip Road Texture / UVs" button did the trick. thanks!

raoul likes this.
  45. NordstroemSAAB

NordstroemSAAB

The error looks like this:
    MRE.png

I didn't have much time yesterday when I posted about the error. I will conduct more tests today.

As for a code example, the code is quite complicated so I will have to simplify it quite a bit and remove things that aren't related to the roads.

RoadCollection roadCollection = mappingArea.mappingArea.RoadCollection;
    List<ERRoad> roads = new List<ERRoad>();
    List<int> roadCount = new List<int>();
    List<ERConnection> connections = new List<ERConnection>();
    List<int> connectionCount = new List<int>();
    roadCount.Add(0);
    connectionCount.Add(0);

List<QuadTreeNodeDataInfo> quadTreeNodeList = new List<QuadTreeNodeDataInfo>();
    List<int> childIndexList = new List<int>();
    quadTreeNodeList.Add(mappingArea.data);
    childIndexList.Add(0);

while(quadTreeNodeList.Count > 0)
    {
    int lastNodeIndex = quadTreeNodeList.Count - 1;
    QuadTreeNodeDataInfo dataInfo = quadTreeNodeList.Last();
    int c = childIndexList.Last();

if(c == 0)
    {
    for(int d = 0; d < dataInfo.data.Count; ++d)
    {
    TurnTileIntoAssetBundle(dataInfo.data[d],
    roadNetwork,
    roadCollection,
    roads,
    connections);​
    }
    roadCount.Add(roads.Count);
    connectionCount.Add(connections.Count);​
    }

if(c == dataInfo.children.Count)
    {
    quadTreeNodeList.RemoveAt(lastNodeIndex);
    childIndexList.RemoveAt(lastNodeIndex);
    roadCount.RemoveAt(lastNodeIndex + 1);
    int count = roadCount.Last();
    for(int r = count; r < roads.Count; ++r)
    {
    //GameObject.DestroyImmediate(roads[r].gameObject);
    roads[r].Destroy();
    roads[r] = null;​
    }
    roads.RemoveRange(count, roads.Count - count);
    connectionCount.RemoveAt(lastNodeIndex + 1);
    count = connectionCount.Last();
    for(int conn = count; conn < connections.Count; ++conn)
    {
    //GameObject.DestroyImmediate(connections[conn].gameObject);
    connections[conn].Destroy();
    connections[conn] = null;​
    }
    connections.RemoveRange(count, connections.Count - count);
    continue;​
    }

quadTreeNodeList.Add(dataInfo.children[c]);
    ++childIndexList[lastNodeIndex];
    childIndexList.Add(0);​
    }​

What this code does it go through a quad tree to build terrains in different levels. For every level it first builds the terrain(s) on that level (there could be more than one because each level could have more than one level of detail) and then it moves on to its children. As it goes down to the children it keeps the roads and connections from the levels above in the lists roads and connections. When all the children has been processed it moves up in the tree again and removes the roads and connections that were added by the children. The lists roadCount and connectionCount are used to remember how many roads and connections were in the list on each level.

It moves through the quad tree in an order like this:
    area
    ect.
    Where area is the top level and the indexes 0-3 represent upper left, upper right, lower left, lower right respectively.

The function TurnTileIntoAssetBundle is where the terrains and roads are built. There is a lot of code there that shouldn't affect roads. It takes more parametres than shown here.

RoadCollection contains all the data used to build the roads. The data for each road is basically a lists of nodes with IDs. The terrain tiles have a list of IDs which they use to access these road data. The building of the roads is also done inside the RoadCollection using the RoadNetwork and the roads are split at the edges of the tiles with IConnectors, which are added to the list of connections. I doubt this part causes the errors.

Like I said though, I will conduct more testing today to narrow down the potential causes.

46. raoul

raoul

Objects are removed in a different way then I tested yesterday. But your code has the same result. Building the roads, destroying roads and building the final road network completes without errors.

You mentioned that the roads and terrains are build in TurnTileIntoAssetBundle. Is that when the error happens?

It looks as if roads and connections are destroyed after that. Is this indeed related to destroying roads? The text below the highlighted text in blue, Is that the full error message?

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Hey @raoul
    I have moved my entireworld object including the road netwrork up 7 meters to accomodate for new layout on my terrain. But easyraods compensates and moves the roadobject to -7 meters so it stays at its old position. How can I move hte entire road system?

48. raoul

raoul

Hi Anders,

That is done exactly for that reason, it is done based on feedback. Imagine you start moving the road network for which the roads are laid out nicely on the terrain. Moving it once, no problem, the previous position was (0,0,0). But what if it wasn't that and you moved it by mistake, saved and closed the scene. It will be a pain to get it back on the right position exactly aligned with the terrain. Adding an option for this is on the list though.

At the moment it can be done through the scripting API. Get all the roads, move all the markers up, and the same for connections.

Or, how many roads do you have in the scene? If not too many, select a marker, press the S key, all markers are selected and in the Marker section in the Inspector, change the Y value to -7. The height will be adjusted for all markers relative to their current position.

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Thanks, used the S function for now since I didnt have that many crossing.

50. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Working with the crossing is very buggy and breaks the network often