Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. zelmund

zelmund

yes

cant track it. its just happening in random situations. i use WASD + alt + ctrl + mouse to move in scene. happening after some combinations.
    sometimes, when i connect road to another, my camera stuck and wont go anywhere. i mean camera - editor view.

mostly it happens when i want to stop work with connections. simply i dont know what what button to push and i select in ierarchy something untill i can to select objects in scene.
    about build im not sure, ill be on work in middle of august, dont have access to ER now.
    and im only one who have talk with scene and ER (atm im only one designer in our team, programmers wont work in scene, they love code, not pictures =) )

2. raoul

raoul

Hi Zemund,

Thank you for the additonal info!

So you have a feeling it is related to scene view navigation using the keyboard?

The only thing I can think of is a combination of hitting the S key (selects all markers) an then Shift + R which deletes all currently selected markers. But that seems unlikely. Please let us know if you notice a pattern in this.

I cannot think of any reason of how the scene camera is affected by the code that joins two roads? Is the F key (Scene Cam refocus) unresponsive as well?

This sounds like a new issue you bring up, crossings being unselectable. Clicking anywhere in the scene deselects the crossing. However, I think this is something that only occasionally happens is that right? And is that after Instantiating a new crossing to the scene? There is an issue known with this which, as mentioned, happens only very occasionally and is therefore hard to debug as there is no clear repro yet. Clicking outside the crossing does not deselect it. If that happens, first thing to try is deselect / reselect road network. If that fails you can instantiate a temporary new crossing and remove it afterwards. That fixes the problem. If anyone has additional info on this, how to reproduce, please let us know. That would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Raoul

3. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

I'm using V3 and have a roadnetwork laid out on a terrain - everything is working great...except when I click 'build terrain', the terrain isn't being updated properly, splat map isn't updated, tree's aren't removed, etc...

any ideas? I do see a few points where like a single intersection has flattened the underlying terrain, but the road network leading up to it didn't update the terrain etc, so I end up with strange things like this:

Ideas?

4. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

just discovered the 'Terrain Deformation' checkbox for the road segments...which seems to at least 'show' what the system thinks it's going to do to the terrain, but again, when I hit 'build terrain', it doesn't actually apply the changes.

5. raoul

raoul

Hi mikew_unity,

Indeed "Terrain Deformation" in the road settings should be switched on (sometimes, like with roads part of bridge overpasses terrain deformation is not desired hence this option).

What are the settings in the Build Settings, the middle mountain tab. I assume all the required checkboxes (heighmap, vegetation, splatmap) are ticked? Because you mention that intersections do flatten the terrain, it seems they are.

Another reason could be a multiple terrain setup, where a specific terrain is selected (instead of "All Terrains") other then the one with the current focus. But that wouldn't explain intersections flattenening the terrain either.

Which surfaces do you see when switching on 'Terrain Deformation' for a road? Those surfaces drawn on top of everything through Handles or the white mesh surfaces ( controlled through: General Settings > Scene Settings > Hide White Surfaces). The last one gives the most accurate visualization of how the terrain will be flattened. Are these surfaces generated correctly?

But looking at the screenshot, the roads do not look smooth either, or is this using "Follow Terrain Contours" with a very low Contour Threshold level? What does this look like in Edit Mode?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  6. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

In edit mode, the roads were nice and smooth, the wierd angles and alignment strangeness only happened once I hit 'build terrain'.

I ended up finalizing the roads on this terrain and manually adjusting the terrain, but will try and create an isolated test scene to see if I can repro it and potentially then can send it over to you if it happens again.

7. raoul

raoul

That is strange. Have you tried this in other scenes or in the main demo scene? Does the same thing happen?

That would be much appreciated as roads changing shapes when switching to Build mode has not been reported before, the terrain not being flattened according the road shape could very well be related to this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Hi raoul,
    I just tested the automatic LOD creation of roads when building the terrains (why is it part of this terrain deformation process, shouldn't it be part of the finalize process?) and it seems to do a fine job concerning the overall reduction and retaining the shape. But there are two issues we see with the automatic LODs:
    1. The LOD-Group component does not deactivate LODs - instead it shows all LODs at once resulting in Z-Fighting. At least in scene view. We haven't tested this in a build, yet.
    2. Also it seems like any LOD after LOD0 does not keep the road vertex colors (as defined per marker).
    Version: EasyRoads3D v3 Beta 8.5.1

9. raoul

raoul

Hi Marco,

The finalize proces removes all script components, only the created geometry will remain. It is optional, don't use this if you need access to road data for, for example, AI purposes.

I haven't looked at this for a while. I belief it is actually disabled in the current beta (?). We never noticed issues like you described with the LOD group component itself. I belief it should activate / deactivate the correpsonding mesh based on distance. But I will check this. What needs more attention here is LOD levels for irregularly shaped roads generated from custom crossings causing glitches, I belief it has to do with even or uneven "subdivision" count.

That could very well be the case. Vertex colors were added only recently by your request :) I will check and fix that.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Marco-Sperling likes this.
  10. dheera1996

dheera1996

Did anyone successfully create a road from openstreetmap data ? i tried to but the the road constructed has many overlaps i.e 2 or more roads in same place and hence does not serve the purpose ..... i enabled only motorway 2 lanes ....

I just want a large loop like high way road with motorway 2 lanes.....Any Help is appreciated ...

Edit : issue resolved... Problem with the osm file i used ....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  11. raoul

raoul

Hi dheera1996,

Do you mean that road objects are duplicated? That should not happen, I just double checked.

Can you send me the OSM file?

This is an EasyRoads3D road type in the current package. Is this related to only extracting OSM "Motorway" data and is the "motorway 2 lanes" road type linked to that OSM object type?

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. imDanOush

imDanOush

Two suggestions:
    1. Add "Scaling" option, There is a possibility to rotate and move Custom and Automatic connections. But if you add "scale" option, then there would be no need to re-create all the connections in a 3D software only for making them smaller or bigger.

2. Add a possibility for connecting the connections without a need of creating roads between them.
    These - Specially the first suggestion - would be awesome!!.

13. raoul

raoul

Hi D4N005H,

A scale option will be added. For now you can scale the source mesh in the import settings and afterwards open the generated prefab in /EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom prefabs. Since the object wa sonly scaled, clicking the "UpdateConnection Prefab" button should be sufficient.

This will also be added. Is this something that you will use often between different crossing types? If not, then in the mean time you could try creating a new single prefab out of the two that you want to connect by adding one as a child to the other and aligning them as desired.

Thanks,
    Raoul

imDanOush likes this.
  14. RobsonFMaciel

RobsonFMaciel

@raoul Is there any documentation for consultation? I've been searching and have not found.

15. raoul

raoul

Hi Robson-FrostGear,

You can find the manual in the root directory /EasyRoads3D/manualv3.html

Alternatively, the help button in the most right tab in the Inspector points to the online version:

http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/manualv3.html

Apart from the provisional videos on the Quick Start page, tutorials will follow soon.

Thanks,
    Raoul

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  16. tryptic

tryptic

We're seeing this as well when we build the road system. What appears to be happening is that a Mesh is on the top level node of the road, then the LOD's have them as well, so the roads are rendering twice.

Marco-Sperling likes this.
  17. raoul

raoul

Hi tryptic,

That's right, I looked at this yesterday. The original mesh renderer is still active on the parent road object. This has been fixed. The LODGroup component functionality by itself should work fine.

I also noticed inaccuracies at the end, this is further optimized and inaccuracies when sidewalks are involved. Custom road shapes should work fine.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  18. tryptic

tryptic

That's great news. Yes I believe there are no problems with the LOD function.

19. CDUnityDev

CDUnityDev

How come I can't extend this sidewalk?
    https://gfycat.com/LargeTautDingo

Edit: Looks like it wasn't connected to the intersection, I prob just have to snap them together.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  20. raoul

raoul

Hi claydamron,

Yes, maybe the road on that side got disconnected. Please let me know if that is not the case. The road sidewalks should auto update when clicking these green / white corner handles.

Thanks,
    Raoul

21. HansKPersson

HansKPersson

Hello Raoul
    Just Curious how the cleanup on Easy Road 3D V3 is going, and wondering if your making any progress on road tunnel system.

Regards
    HansKPersson

22. raoul

raoul

Hi HansKPersson,

The cleanup itself is almost done, just have to figure out what to do with some copyrighted assets in the demo project (none EasyRoads3D related, trees, vegetation billboards) as this demo project is also used to prepare promotional material. I think the demo project, as it is now, is a good starting point showing many different situations. At the moment I am preparing tutorials covering various areas in the demo project. Once that is done it will be available on the asset store. After that I will prepare the final v3.0 package.

The main problem with tunnels is the unity terrain object still not supporting holes out of the box. So this will require terrain hacks. There are some asset store packages covering that. The new demo project includes a custom terrain shader which uses a mask. This is used on a flat horizontal plane cutting holes in the terrain required for a more complex custom crossing prefab. A similar approach could be followed for tunnels but that is a bit more complicated. The mesh used for the mask should match the terrain geometry. When the start and end point of the tunnel is exacly aligned with the x or z axis, a simple plane aligned with the terrain will also work, if that makes sense.

The tunnel geometry itself can be generated with side objects just like bridges etc.

At this moment I want to keep the new demo project as it is and release it but an example of the above can be added afterwards.

Thanks,
    Raoul

23. voncarp

voncarp

24. raoul

raoul

Hi voncarp,

The error includes a referemce to ERCrossingPrefabs. You mention that this happens when adding new road objects. ERCrossingPrefabs is not involved in that process and from the screenshot the scene / road network seems empty.

Could you provide more info? When exactly does this happen?

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. voncarp

voncarp

I add the roadnetwork. Then it asks me if I want to add side objects.

Then it starts up. I press add new road object tab.

Then select road type: default road.

And once I press add the error shows up. And I cannot add any segments to the scene.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u47xikfb8a1etdi/Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 1.35.41 PM.png?dl=0

In the screenshot above you can faintly see black dots where I am trying to add the road in the scene view.

Edit

If you have a Mac. Here is a screen recording of the steps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxr6vmivjshm4hg/easyroads.mov?dl=0

26. raoul

raoul

Thank you for the further details!

This doesn't happen on our end but I remember looking at something similar, I am not entirely sure. Is this 2017.1 related?

I think you contacted us once through our website. Is that right? Could you otherwise send a PM with your email so I can send you the latest alpha build to try out.

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. voncarp

voncarp

Thats correct. I contacted you a few years ago. I've had issues over time on my Mac with EasyRoads v3. Thats why I often use the old version. When v3 does work for me, it is outstanding.

Thanks for the continued support.

DM sent.

28. raoul

raoul

Thank you! I will send and update today.

And, for anyone, please let me know if you run into issues so the tool can be improved further.

Raoul

29. TriCoachSim

TriCoachSim

Hi Raoul,

I'm using GetSplinePointsLeftSide() and GetSplinePointsRightSide() from the Road API.
    It seems that roads include sidewalks for this spline points.
    How could I compute road side spline points before sidewalks?
    For example, is there API getters for sidewalks enabling state and sidewalks width?

Thanks in advance
    Mika

30. raoul

raoul

Hi Mika,

These two arrays represent the outer part of the created geometry so sidewalks, if active, are indeed included.

One way to compute the spline points before sidewalks is something like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. float width = road.GetWidth() * 0.5f;
    2. Vector3[] splinePointsLeftSide = road.GetSplinePointsLeftSide();
    3. Vector3[] splinePointsCenter = road.GetSplinePointsCenter();
    4. Vector3[] leftPoints = new Vector3[splinePointsLeftSide.Length];
    5. Vector3[] rightPoints = new Vector3[splinePointsLeftSide.Length];
    6. for(int i = 0; i < splinePointsCenter.Length; i++){
    7.        Vector3 dir = (splinePointsLeftSide[i] - splinePointsCenter[i]).normalized;
    8.        leftPoints[i] = splinePointsCenter[i] + (dir * width);
    9.        rightPoints[i] = splinePointsCenter[i] + (-dir * width);
    10. }
    That should work, otherwise let me know :)

Once v3 is released the API will be extended with more options. More control over sidewalks through the API was recently also asked for by email, it is on the list. I will add the above also to the list, road spline points before sidewalks.

Thanks,
    Raoul

[Edit]
    float width = road.GetWidth() * 0.5f;

This will actually not work as the full width is returned including sidewalks.

Are your roads based on road types? In that case you can get the road type from the road (road.GetRoadType()) and get the width from the road type: ERRoadType.roadWidth.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  31. subzer0

subzer0

Hello Raoul,

I updated Unity to 2017.1.0p4 and when I imported the package I got about 751 errors:

Here is a screenshot of the console:

Also I got this warning. I don't know if this has something to do with the 751 errors.
    Assembly: 'C:/Unity Projects/ShootGame/Assets/EasyRoads3D Free/lib/EasyRoads3D.dll' uses obsolete Unity API (UnityUpgradable)

Thanks.

32. raoul

raoul

Hi subzer0,

Looking at the errors, this is related to the Free version.

The free version is still v2, this is the v3 thread, a completely different road tool compared to v2. Just in case you wanted to try the free version first :)

In your additional text you see "(UnityUpgradable)". Please remove the full folder "/Assets/EasyRoads3D Free/" and reimport it. During the import you will see a message asking to upgrade the package, Confirm to do this. Unity will upgrade the package. This should fix the errors.

The new demo project and website with tutorials is very close to done, after that the v3.0 Pro will be released. The free version update will follow after that.

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. TriCoachSim

TriCoachSim

Thank you Raoul.
    The solution with road type is ok :)

raoul likes this.
  34. TriCoachSim

TriCoachSim

Hi Raoul,

I created some T-Crossing dynamic prefabs with "Resolution Straight Side" modified (in order to save memory since as far as I understood, each crossing geometry is saved in the scene)
    But when I add these Crossings to my scene, the "Resolution Straight Side" is reset to default value : 1.

Did i misused prefab creation?

Is there a way to modify the resolution of the instances via the API?
    I tried ERConnection prefabScript.crossingsScript.resolution. But geomtry is updated only if I select the instance in hierarchy. Seems that I miss an update function.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  35. raoul

raoul

Thank you for reporting that! Indeed the resolution value is reset to the default of 1. This is fixed.

Your code is not documented API code :) The API will be further extended after the v3 release, also regarding crossings, but I can already add a Refresh() function.

But if this is primarily related to the resolution value being reset, I can prepare a build with the fix if you want. Can you send me your email in that case?

Thanks again,
    Raoul

36. TriCoachSim

TriCoachSim

I also noticed a little problem with inspector.
    When using 2 inspector tabs, one inspector doesn't show ER modular Base data, with this error in the console :
    "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OOOCODDCQO.OnInspectorGUI ()"

And if the working inspector is locked to another gameobject than RoadNetwork, it's impossible to select a road marker in the Scene when RoadNetwork is selected in Hierarchy.

Edit: I'm still using the 8.4 beta version

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  37. raoul

raoul

Yes, having two Inspector windows open does not work well, that is a known issue. It has lower priority as this is not likely to happen, it has only been reported once or twice before. But if it is a critical issue for more people, please let me know! I will make a note anyway to look into this after finishing the work currently done.

With regard to beta 8.4, it is always recommended to update to the latest beta

Thanks,
    Raoul

38. artplayer

artplayer

Hello, I would like an important information for the decision on the purchase of this asset:

I create my terrain meshs separately and would like to know if EasyRoads works with "non-terrain" meshes.

Thank you and forgive me for my English.

39. raoul

raoul

Hi artplayer,

EasyRoads does work with "non-terrain" meshes in a way that you can lay out your road network on top of the terrain mesh. The reason why we started this years ago was because it was almost impossible to manually conform the unity terrain object according the road shapes. This process is optimized for the Unity terrain object and will not work on terrain meshes.

Thanks,
    Raoul

40. artplayer

artplayer

Thanks for the quick reply!

41. Noss1325

Noss1325

Hello raoul, great tool !

But please I need help I can't find what I am looking for by script. I simply need to use the ERRoad.GetPosition() method from runtime on a road created in editor.
    I can't find out how to access any ERRoad script in the scene ? And when I try using FindObjectOfType<ERRoad>() from my script I have this compilation error : error CS0311: The type `EasyRoads3Dv3.ERRoad' cannot be used as type parameter `T' in the generic type or method `UnityEngine.Object.FindObjectOfType<T>()'.
    Finally, it doesn't seem to be any ERRoad script in the scene anyway.

I'm using an older version of EasyRoads3D, and I hesitate to update because of the progression of my project. Does the latest version implement these features ?

Thank you for the nice job !

42. raoul

raoul

Hi Noss1325,

Thank you!

That indeed doesn't work. To get the ERRoad reference you can use:

ERRoadNetwork.GetRoadByName(string name)

or

ERRoadNetwork.GetRoadByGameObject(GameObject object)

It is always good to upgrade to the latest version. Back up your project first, just in case.

Hope this help!

Thanks,
    Raoul

43. raoul

raoul

Beta 8.6 Is available for download from our website

It has been quiet for a while. I have been working hard on additional resources lately. New tutorials have been prepared. The new demo project is 99% ready. There are two bugs to fix deeper in the tool related to I Connectors and more complex custom prefabs and more complex shape type of side objects with extreme road shape changes. Once that is done the new demo project and tutorials will be released. The final v3.0 release will follow quickly afterwards.

Here is one last beta before release. It mainly has lots of optimizations and some bug fixes. Circular segments has been rewritten, it should not affect current circular segments in the scene unless you change it.

The asset store beta update has been submitted as well.

Some screenshots from the new upcoming demo project

rockOverlay_.jpg

iConnectorPrimaryDirt_.jpg

transparencyShader_.jpg

Meanwhile please report any issues you have or things you like to see improved.

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. Noss1325

Noss1325

Thank you for the quick reply.
    Ok, so I just moved to latest version v3 8.5.1. Yet, I can't find the static methods you state on ERRoadNetwork.
    But I can acsess it if I use an object. Which means I go back to same problem, I can't get the ERRoadNetwork from the scene.

45. Noss1325

Noss1325

Nice job about the new version !

About improvements, I have some suggestions that would be useful for cameras systems, racing games, etc.
    You are one step from making you plugin perfect :) Please try to make access from code easier and add a maximum of informative methods, at least on roads.

Some examples ordered by importance
    (based on what I see missing on the script API manual) :
    - ERRoad.GetLookAtDirectionAtPoint(float _distance) : Currently we need to call GetPosition() twice to calculate direction. No problem if the direction is reversed. A simple vector reverse will do it.

- Vector3 ERRoad.GetNearestPointTo(Vector3 _worldPosition) : Get the nearest point on path from a given position.

- float ERRoad.GetPathPercentage(Vector3 _fromPosition) or ERRoad.GetPathDistance(Vector3 _fromPosition).

- ERRoad.GetPathPercentage(float _distance) : Not useful if distance means percentage in the API.
    - ERRoad.GetPathDistance(float _percentage) : Not useful if distance means percentage in the API.

Please let us know if you put some of those method !
    Thank you ! Good luck bro.

46. raoul

raoul

These methods do exist :) This is all scripting API related.

ERRoadNetwork roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork();

This will create a reference to an already exisiting road network in the scene otherwise it will create a new road network object.

Let me know if this still doesn't work.

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. raoul

raoul

Thank your for the feedback, I have been getting a lot of scripting API related emails lately. It is good to know this is being used!

So far the scripting API has had less priority. As a start it included the main functionality. From there on it has been expanded by user requests. Eventually it should cover all the editor functionality.

I will make a note of your requests. Is it urgent?

At this stage releasing v3 has the highest priority. Usually the feedback is very positive but there have been some negative reviews lately. The arguments are confusing and/or mostly not correct. I think it is mainly related to start up issues / lack of resources, hence why I was asking for feedback. Releasing this together with the new demo project and tutorials will hopefully help.

After that more features will be added, also scripting API related.

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. Noss1325

Noss1325

Yes it works !
    I was looking for a static method, that's why I couldn't find it. So I understand ERRoadNetwork is likely a singleton class.
    Thank you very much.

raoul likes this.
  49. ikazrima

ikazrima

Hi raoul, is EasyRoads suited for procedural/runtime generation?

50. raoul

raoul

Hi ikazrima,

The scripting API does work at runtime and can be used to generate roads. The beta package includes a simple example of this, a road is created and afterwards and object follows that road.

Whether this will work for you depends on what you want to do? Inside the Unity editor there are two states: edit mode, build mode. You can switch back and forth between the two. Depending on various aspects, the terrain, the complexity of the road network,there is a delay during that process. So if you literally want to build a road procedurally like a never ending road, the current setup may not be ideal. But there might be some developments in that area that could make this process faster. I will look into that after the v3.0 release. No guarantees though! :)

Thanks,
    Raoul