Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. TrueProger

TrueProger

Hello Raoul!
    The question is how to cast a shadow on transparent materials? I'm using the material of EasyRoads3d / Transparency / Diffuse. shadow_n.png

2. raoul

raoul

Hi Bogat!

This comes up regularly, you may want to do a search in general on transparency and receiving shadows in Unity. It is supported on cutout shaders but not on full transparent shaders.

Regarding EasyRoads3D, the same question was recently asked in the link below. In the posts afterwards you see some workarounds (a dirt track blending with the terrain receiving shadows from the trees) which will be part of the new upcoming demo project.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/e...g-new-road-system.229327/page-67#post-3037232

For the asphalt material in your screenshot you can try a cutout shader. Good results can be achieved this way as long as the cam is not heavily zoomed in.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. TrueProger

TrueProger

Thank you Raoul for your help!:) I hope I will do this way!

4. Reahreic

Reahreic

The project is around 1.2GB so i can't really send it, but i'll try my best to provide you with a step by step.

Not always, sometimes the T crossing functions perfectly other times connecting the first road to it errors, other times the first road connects flawlessly then the others start to glitch.

I can try re importing the V3 beta package. Will this cause me to need to recreate the roads as i have around 50-60KM of road created so far and wouldn't want to loose them?

Steps to Recreate
    1. Create new road section.
      (Default 2laneHighway,
      64 Resolution,
      no side objects,
      Follow terrain contours checked,
      Terrain Deformation checked)

2. Add new connection via toolbar.
      (Default T Crossing,
      No Sidewalks)

3. Rotate crossing as needed for alignment.

4. Select blue sphere on road section and drag onto green sphere of crossing.
      (This one connected fine)

5. Select I Connector from another existing road segment and drag green sphere out to create new road.

6. Drag blue sphere of new road segment to green sphere of T Crossing.
      (Blue sphere "snaps" to green sphere, but road segments don't join. Argument Out Of Range parameter : index Exception Thrown)

7. Select yellow sphere on T Crossing and drag to adjust position.
      (Sometimes this causes the road segments to snap to and connect without a gap or error, Other times it throws the above error several times while moving.
      Additionally when this error triggers it causes the recently connected road section to be entirely replaced with a pavement and the white pavement spheres turn green on that side.)

8. Deselect the green pavement dots to return road section back to road.
      (More of the same error message, T-Connection no longer attached to either of the two roads it was connected to.
      Blue circles of now detached roads no longer attached to end of road section, instead pinned to T-Crossing)

9. Shift+R to remove crossing.
      (Two blue circles mentioned above remain disconnected from anything, move them around and they snap back to their road sections)

I've also uploaded two short videos showing the bug using two different connection methods. Of interesting note is that in the one video the T-Connection doesn't glitch until after i select Follows terrain contours on the newly created road segment.

I've tried to be thorough as i know how difficult it can be debugging a report that only contains 1-2 sentences. Let em know if you need anything else.

5. JOKaija

JOKaija

DAMN!

I made a big mistake, when I made my game maps. Those maps have "Main Road" and
    it's resolution is 1.5m. Unfortunately it is too much, since my "side roads" uses 1m resolution.

Now, when my "Jokstra" road path finder tries to find shortest way, it uses easily main road,
    even there is a shorter way (visually).

Is there a inbuild function to re-resolutioning my "Main Road" in runtime, or have to I
    make a reResolution function By myself for easyroads?

6. raoul

raoul

Hi Reahreic,

Thank you very much for the feedback!

I justed tested a road between an I Connector and a T Crossing. Indeed the argumentOutOfRangeExceptions appears when the road directly connects to both an I Connector and the T Crossing. In fact this happens for any crossing type. All is fine for roads with 3 or more markers. I will check what causes this.

Video 1: Everything after 0.30 when the resolution is raised and the errors are appear is directly related to this situation. Because of the errors these roads are no longer updating to the changes. You can see that in the console, repetitive errors while moving the crossing.

Video 2: This seems related to what I mentioned above, a two marker road connected to the T crossing and the I connector. Again, this issue makes every change afterwards that affects that road unreliable.

This seems directly related to the combination road resolution 65 and "Follow Terrain Contours", the road length being only 49 and also connected to crossings which by itself requires a safe distance to level. Obviously the error shouldn't happen, but these settings do not go well together. When using "Follow Terrain Contours" you want to use a much lower resolution then 65 otherwise this function will not have good results. Perhaps this should be locked to a max value once "Follow Terrain Contours" is active.

Very much appreciated, that indeed makes it easier to debug a situation :). I willl make sure these situations are optimized.

Raoul

7. raoul

raoul

Hi JOKaija,

ERRoad.SetResolution(float res)

Optionally together with ERRoad.GetRoadType(); to make sure this is only done for the "Main Road" road type.

Will that work?

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. JOKaija

JOKaija

Nope. After that my camera goes crazy. UVs are totally ruined. Full of 999+ errors.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void AddRoadToSceneWithWaypoints(ERRoad er)
    2.     {
    3.         _roads rd = new _roads();
    5.         //er.SetResolution(1); <----- this ruins everything...
    7.         Vector3[] wps = er.GetSplinePointsCenter();
    8.         Vector3[] wpsl = er.GetSplinePointsLeftSide();
    9.         Vector3[] wpsr = er.GetSplinePointsRightSide();
    11.         rd.roadName = er.roadScript.gameObject.name;
    12.         rd.ER3Road = er;
    13.         rd.yourRoadName = er.roadScript.gameObject.name;
    14.         int id = 0;
    15.         int skipper = 0;
    16.         int count = 0;
    17.         foreach (Vector3 wpp in wps)
    18.         {

9. raoul

raoul

What are the error messages? Is the road Network in Edit Mode? Can you give more details?

I just tested this:

Code (csharp):
    1. var roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork();
    2. ERRoad road1 = roadNetwork.GetRoadByName("Default Road 0022");
    3. road1.SetResolution(4);
    The road geometry is updated accordingly, the UVs are not messed up. Tested on a single road only and the same road attached to crossings on both ends.

Thanks,
    Raoul

10. JOKaija

JOKaija

[RunTime]

First it gives:
    Invalid AABB aabb
    UnityEngine.Mesh:Clear()
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad:OQODODOQDO(Boolean, Boolean)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERRoad:Refresh()
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERRoad:SetResolution(Single)
    RoadToWayPoints:AddRoadToSceneWithWaypoints(ERRoad) (at Assets/GameAssets/Scripts/RoadToWayPoints.cs:782)

then:

Not allowed to access vertices on mesh 'Combined Mesh (root: scene)' (isReadable is false; Read/Write must be enabled in import settings)
    UnityEngine.Mesh:set_vertices(Vector3[])
    RoadToWayPoints:AddRoadToSceneWithWaypoints(ERRoad) (at Assets/GameAssets/Scripts/RoadToWayPoints.cs:782)

then:

Not allowed to access uv on mesh 'Combined Mesh (root: scene)' (isReadable is false; Read/Write must be enabled in import settings)
    UnityEngine.Mesh:set_uv(Vector2[])

and it repeats this a while and after a moment, camera is ruined too, starts to whine almost all renderers :)

11. JOKaija

JOKaija

Found a solution!

Again this *ucking "static" toggle....

I hate, when game objects are forced to be a "static". After that I have to every time uncheck them to make any modification to meshes etc...

;)

Now I remember it with Easyroads, but there is so many other coders and their assets left....

Code (CSharp):
    1.         if (er.gameObject.isStatic)
    2.         {
    3.             Debug.Log("Set your roads to NON static to get them re-resolutioned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!");
    4.         }
    5.         else
    6.         {
    7.             er.SetResolution(1);
    8.         }

12. JOKaija

JOKaija

At least you should set a switch to Easyroads editor, if user do not want static road meshes.

I know, it is needed for baking system, when using easyroad with road meshes and textures,
    but even then, it should be user selectable. Not forced.

For me it is just a pain. Since I don't use textures, like easyroad uses, at all (ok, only when user draws a new road). I use shader, what have a big texture. Each pixel on texture represents will the terrain shader show real terrain pixel OR my road texture pixel (with alpha value = pixel value).

I use easyroads own texture system only, when user draws a new road to terrain with help from Apex tools pathfinder.

13. Behzad65

Behzad65

Thanks Raoul,
    is it possible to modify custom connection prefabs? for example change the scale? How?

14. raoul

raoul

It is on the list. :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. raoul

raoul

Hi Behzad65,

The custom prefab system is exactly that, it is based on your own meshes. The provided custom prefabs mainly serve as examples. There is no integrated scale option for this. Perhaps it will be added in a later stage.

However, you can scale the source prefab in the assets folder and simply rebuild the custom prefab afterwards in the custom prefab editor, the "Update Connection Prefab" button, click "Apply" afterwards. Updating scene instances was added in the latest beta, you will be asked if you want to do that. Note that this is not entirely working well. It is better to skip this option. This part works well in the next update.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. xAvatarchikx

xAvatarchikx

Hi! I build terrain and I see such a picture ...
    Unity 5.6.1p1
    Win10 x64
    EasyRoads3D v3.0 Beta 8.5.1

17. raoul

raoul

Hi xAvatarchikx,

Those are the pillars that should be underneath the highway overpass roads which by themseleves should float above the ground. The cam is a bit zoomed out, are the roads indeed still floating above the ground?

The pillars are side objects for which the pivot position should be at the top of the pillar. That way they align nicely with the road. Can you check that?

What does this look like in Edit Mode? Did you change any of the settings?

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

Should Easy Roads 3d work with the Unity 2017 beta? I am seeing 999+ errors with the javascript editor files

e.g

Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/ERTextureWindow.js(63,5): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'i'.

for(i = 0; i < 5; i++){

19. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

But I in switching to using the latest 3 beta, I am able to create a road. I did delete all the v2 folders & scripts then I imported the package.

20. raoul

raoul

That is indeed a v2 script. I will check that.

It is recommended to start using v3 anyway, ideally using a clean v3 install in your project. You can do this either by only selecting the v3 beta package in the import window. Or, in the case all the files are imported, rename the EasyRoads3D folder in, for example, EasyRoads3D v2. That way v3 will be imported in /EasyRoads3/ and you can safely remove the other folder afterwards.

Thanks for letting me know about these v2 errors in 2017 beta!

Raoul

ManjitSBedi likes this.
  21. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

Ok, I have a new problem. I can use Easy Road v3 beta within Unity 2017 but when I publish a build for the Mac or IOS, Unity crashes almost immediately. I have a crash log if that is useful.

Attached Files:

22. raoul

raoul

Hi ManjitSBedi,

I did a search but cannot find any direct references to EasyRoads3D in the log.

Since some issues for v2 have been reported (by you as well), I am actually downloading the latest 2017 beta at the moment, I will test v3 as well.

Meanwhile, what you can do just as a test is, duplicate the project and finalize your road network so all script components are removed. Do not include the /EasyRoads3D/lib/EasyRoads3Dv3.dll in the build. Does that work? If not, remove the full road network, does that build?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  23. leeljubic

leeljubic

Is there a way to give the road some depth? It appears unity does not support maps for displacing geometry and I'm unsure if the road even has enough geometry to provide that lip on the edge I'm looking for. Is there a mesh object somewhere that the road is generated from which I can slightly modify? Or an option I'm unaware of?

24. raoul

raoul

Hi leeljubic,

Indeed the default roads are flat. You can import and use your own road shapes / crossing meshes through the custom prefab system. The provisional main demo scene includes an example of what you are looking for, the single lane road connected to the custom T crossing.

Once v3.0 is released this will be added to the built-in road options. The dynamic X and T crossings will have to be updated to support this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. marcus_aggrippa

marcus_aggrippa

Hi
    Does any one have step by step instructions on how to fade a road into the terrain?

26. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcus,

This involves two steps:

1. Setting the fade in/out distance. After selecting the first or last marker you will see a "Fade In Distance" resp. "Fade Out Distance" slider near the bottom of the Marker section in the Inspector. This sets mesh vertex color data on the alpha channel.

2. A shader is required that will use this vertex color info to fade the road in/out. The provided transparent shader does this. You can use this as an example.

Note that transparent shaders do not support receiving shadows in Unity. This has been brought up recently, see the below post and next couple of posts. This workaround will be available in the final demo project.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/e...g-new-road-system.229327/page-67#post-3037232

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. marcus_aggrippa

marcus_aggrippa

Hi Raoul
    Thank you for your quick reply. I can find the Fade Out distance (last marker) but I don't understand what to do with a shader (easyRoads3D/Shaders?)

28. raoul

raoul

Yes, /EasyRoads3D/Transparent/Diffuse from the shader dropdown, /EasyRoads3D/shaders/EasyRoads3D-Alpha-Diffuse in the assets folder, the bumped version works the same way. Or have a look at the main demo scene, it includes a dirt track that blends with the terrain at the end, it uses "dirt material".

Thanks,
    Raoul

29. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

Hello Raoul.

Apparently, it is an existing issue in Unity, I quote from an email:

" Original issue id is 915659. Is it reproducible on earlier versions of Unity? Regression should be introduced in 2017.1.0b6 version of Unity."

30. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

I will have a try later.

Best regards

Manjit

31. raoul

raoul

Hi Manjit,

That is good to know, thank you for posting that here!

Meanwhile I tested v2 on 2017.1.0b7, it appears to be working well as long as you let Unity upgrade the package when asked for that. So at this stage unless more serious issues are reported I like to focus on v3 and get that released.

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

Hello Raoul.

I just created a very basic project with a terrain and then made a road using the v3 beta; I made a road and finalized it.. It would always crash on the building of the iOS target unless I deleted the all the Easy Road folders including the materials, textures & prefabs. Removing just the DLL did not work. I did have the road network mesh that was created in the project where I just added a black material to the road.

I am going to leave it at that for now.

Regards

Manjit

33. raoul

raoul

Hi Manjit,

I am not sure now, from your earlier post it seemed this was a known Unity 2017 issue not particularly related to EasyRoads3D. But from your last post it seems related to assets in the EasyRoads3D folder?

I will check this for iOS anyway.

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

Hello Raoul.

Yes, it is a known issue with Unity 2017 according to the email I received; I need to use the Unity 2017 beta as I want to add some animation using the new timeline feature & gain some experience with this new feature.

I wanted to have some roads to have vehicles etc moving along them using the timeline.

In the interim, I created a road system in Unity 5.6 with v2 of Easy Roads; I then migrated the project to the 2017 beta. I can work with this for now & update the road network at a later date.

Regards

Manjit

raoul likes this.
  35. marcus_aggrippa

marcus_aggrippa

Got it!
    Thank you for your assistance

raoul likes this.
  36. rizawerx

rizawerx

Hi,
    I just bought EasyRoad..wonderful plugin :)
    I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere, but I can't find a way to mix different material in the same road. I want to create a road that start with rough dirt and then asphalt, somewhere along the road the asphalt material goes to bumpy asphalt / different material. I read that there's a way to fade in / out using terrain but I want to specifically use the road. Thanks

37. raoul

raoul

Hi rizawerx,

Glad you like it! :)

The Main demo scene includes an example of a dirt and asphalt track blended into each other.

Select the yellow connector in between the two roads. It is an I Connector. In the Inspector you will see the details of the two roads. By default an I Connector simply connects two roads but in this case you see that "Connector Distance" in both roads holds a value of 5. This means that the roads merge into each other over a total distance of 10m. On road two 2 this only involves stretching the road to match the road width of road 1.

The actual blending is done on the Road 1 segment, see "Blend Section" , road 1 is selected. The blend material is "Blend Asphalt - Dirt". You can use this material as an example. The "Build" button will auto update the textures according the materials used on road 1 and road 2.

http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/scene.html#IConnector

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

38. rizawerx

rizawerx

Ah I see, I'm not looking hard enough...thank you Raoul!

39. CDUnityDev

CDUnityDev

Hey, encountering a bug in V3 where when the road is selected, the markers no longer appear. Any thoughts?

NullReferenceException

40. raoul

raoul

Hi claydamron,

Only one road exists in the road network. Could you provide more information.

1) What is the full error message (the part that appears after selecting this error in the console)
    2) Is this the only error?
    3) When did this start to happen?
    4) Which version are you using (most right "i" tab in the Inspector)?

Thanks,
    Raoul

41. CDUnityDev

CDUnityDev

1. Full error message is as follows:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase.OOOCDDQCOC ()
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODDOQOQQCQ.OnEnable ()
    It appears after pressing "build terrain" or after pressing the button.

2. Yes
    3. Not enitrely sure
    4. Beta 8.5.1

I've currently got a closed loop road.

42. raoul

raoul

Thank you for the info!

The error messages point to EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODDOQOQQCQ.OnEnable (), this runs when selecting the road network. Some data is verified, among which the status of terrain objects in the scene. This is done in EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase.OOOCDDQCOC (). That is what the error points to.

I can see a "Terrain" object in the scene. What is the status of this terrain?

1) Is this an ordinary Unity terrain object?
    2) Is the script component ERTerrain attached to it?

I cannot match the specific error message with clicking "Build Terrain". But "Build Terrain" does involve terrain objects so perhaps the error is related. Is that indeed exactly the same error message you get when clicking "Build Terrain" or the button?

Would it be possible to have a look at this scene (stripped to terrain and road network only if you want)? Can you email or PM me?

Thanks,
    Raoul

43. yohami

yohami

Is this working in Unity 5.6?

44. raoul

raoul

Hi yohami,

No issues are known for Unity 5.6. Are you having problems?

Thanks,
    Raoul

45. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Now I am in need of the same workaround. From reading the post you linked to I guess that it is provided in the build on your website?

46. raoul

raoul

Hi Marco,

The website build is the same as the beta package on the asset store. I was referring to the new demo project which is getting very close to being ready. Some additional assets need to be prepared and the project needs a clean up because it is massive at the moment.

That particular shader is part of a set of other shaders, if you want I can already send this shader to you as it is now. Ideally a wizard will be included to prepare the shader. I belief that is not done yet but the shader by itself works.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Marco-Sperling likes this.
  47. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

That would be very kind.
    For now I've implemented my own surface shader based on cutout transparency and screendoor dithering which is okayish I guess.

48. raoul

raoul

I will send it today.

How does screendoor dithering option come out in this type of situations? For sure it is an easier approach without that wizard and perhaps also faster?

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

upload_2017-6-9_14-39-1.png
    Should be quite fast, yes. Not worth looking into when you want first or third person action I'd say. But for gameplay with a little more space between camera and ground it looks decent.

50. raoul

raoul

It is a bit zoomed out :) but it looks good!

Is this mainly the situation you would be using this shader for, blending the edges of all your roads? In that case the shader I mentioned might be too heavy. It is primarily intended for sporadic terrain mesh overlays using the terrain splatmap, as seen on the previous page, it can also be used to blend a dirt track at the start / end with the terrain.

I will send it anyway.

Thanks,
    Raoul