Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi Mazak,

Looking promising! Always nice to see different uses of the tool :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

A general note: Beta 8.2 has been approved and is now also available on the asset store.

2. mike_kennedy989

mike_kennedy989

The example of the road blending into the terrain with a splat map (The dirt road example) might be perfect for what we are doing right now.

How do I go about doing this ??? :)

I created about 180 drive ways, screen shots attached, but they can't be baked into the terrain and this method would really help all the Z fighting issues we are running into.
    It's not an ideal terrain due to the fact it's huge and we have to use it for this Arch Viz project we are doing.
    Mike K Driveway_For_Forum_Questions_01.jpg Driveway_For_Forum_Questions_02.jpg Driveway_For_Forum_Questions_01.jpg Driveway_For_Forum_Questions_02.jpg

malkere likes this.
  3. raoul

raoul

Hi Mike,

It seems that the blending in the 8.3.2 screenshot is not the ideal solution for your situation. That example was primarily intended to show the new weight option for Shape type of side objects. What you see is a flat terrain, the bumpy track is all geometry on top of the terrain. The shader blends it with the terrain using the terrain splatmap. This approach is probably too heavy to use for all your drive ways.

The problem with the drive ways in your screenshots is that they are not connected to the main road using a dynamic or custom connection prefab. That makes it hard to match the terrain with both the main road and the separate drive ways.

In general you could use T-crossing type of connections and pull out the drive ways from the T-crossing, that way the terrain deformation will be correct. But in your screenshots the drive ways are irregular, it is not always possible to use a T-crossing or X-crossing for this.

Is preserving the contours of the terrain between the road and the houses a must? If not, then you could extend the Indent distance of the main road to cover the area between the road and the houses. Optionally this could be done only near the drive way areas by placing markers at drive way positions so you can can more accurately shape the indent area per marker to cover the drive way area. That way the terrain near the drive way area will be leveled nicely according the main road. If the drive ways are at the same height as the main road, no z-fighting will occur. Does that make sense?

Or you could use an extruded drive way shape instead of a flat shape, that will also deal better with z-fighting unless your terrains heightmap scale is very large and there are clear contours in the terrain these areas.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. mike_kennedy989

mike_kennedy989

Hi Raoul,
    Yeah, The road is custom built for a few reasons, cul de sacs and other custom shapes, sidewalks that exist only on one side on the roads in certain areas.

Plus the drive ways can't be attached to the road because they might need to move later on, hence hoping for a shader based solution to the z fighting issues.

Your plugin would be ideal if I could get all those variables though :) I am a bit of a noobie with it.

RE: "Or you could use an extruded drive way shape instead of a flat shape, that will also deal better with z-fighting unless your terrains height map scale is very large and there are clear contours in the terrain these areas."

For the Extruded Driveway shape, is that something I could do using Easy Roads V3?
    This is a huge terrain with 3d contours and heights for sure. I attached a few screen shots.

If I could apply a Z fighting PBR shader with normal map support to the drives and road would that work, do you have a shader in your plugin that I could / should use?

Thanks again for all your feed back and help, it's a massive and complex project.

Mike K

Attached Files:

5. raoul

raoul

I didn't realize the roads are custom made but now you mention it, indeed no markers are visible.

Have you looked into the custom prefab system? If you cut out the cul de sacs, T crossings etc. and Import them into the system you can create your road network exactly how it looks now.

Extruded road shapes is something that will be supported in the dynamic built-in connection system in 3.x but you can already do that through that same custom prefab system. Create a small sample model with the road shape you want and import it in the system, you will be able to create roads with that shape. The single lane road in the demo scene, the road that includes a T crossing with a dirt road connected, is an example of this. The first post in this thread includes two videos related to Custom Road Networks.

Which shaders are you currently using? The EasyRoads3D shaders use an Offset to deal with real z-fighting with the terrain. An adapted version of the Unity Standard shader (PBR) is also included.

But I am not sure if this is a z-fighting issue. Looking at the cul de sac image it seems that, for example, the three drive ways in the top right do not have the same alignment as the cul de sac. You you could try to manually fix this using the tilting option on the first marker but you will not have these issues when all road elements including the drive ways are part of the road network in a way that they all connect.

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. mike_kennedy989

mike_kennedy989

Those are some great ideas, is there a video or tutorial / manual that shows how to work with the custom prefabs system?
    Mike

7. raoul

raoul

Custom prefabs act the same as the dynamic X T Crossings and roundabouts. The only difference is that they do not support dynamic sidewalks.

The process of turning your meshes into custom prefabs that can be used within the system is shown in the videos I mentioned. Find the links below as well.

The second video also shows how you can create a new road type from the connections. This might be useful if you decide to go with the extruded roads option. By creating a "Drive Way" road type you can quickly update the existing drive ways and create new drive ways according the extruded road shape. This approach may work well together with rotating roads when necessary to align them more according the main road / cull de sacs. But as mentioned, you will not have these alignment issues if the drive ways are part of and connected to the "road network".

Custom Prefabs in the docs: http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/general_settings.html#customcrossings

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. mike_kennedy989

mike_kennedy989

Hate to be a total pain, I know the work flow we are using ideal but I ran into one more issue,.
    I put cars on the drive way, I think I have LOD's turned off for the roads in my settings, it's greyed out and un check.
    The Cars end up being buried in the drive as the camera moves away. I hid the the roads (Driveways done with EasyRoads) and it doesn't happen with the terrain.

I made the car's shader an Easyroads one and it didn't fix the issue. At a loss for next steps to correct.

Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  9. raoul

raoul

The LOD's option for road objects is not really involved here.

What you see happens because of the Unity's Offset option in the shader, that is how it works. It deals with z-fighting with the terrain but depending on the cam angles it can also effect other objects on the road. This is a side effect to take into account If you want to deal with z-fighting through a shader. Look for example at the terrains LOD system. Without the Offset the road might be hidden by the terrain in hilly areas further away from the cam when the terrains LOD system kicks in. The further away the cam, the stronger the Offset. So using the offset can be helpful here.

First thing to consider are your in game cam angles / distances, will this actually cause visual problems?

If so, then you can try adjusting the Offset values more towards 0 in the shader, this will reduce the side effects as well.

The Offset isn't really required on flat roads if you raise the road network to 0.02 or so provided that the terrain is flattened according the road shape which is what EasyRoads3D does by default.

Alternatively you could also use a similar offset on your car shader.

When using the earlier dicussed extruded roads option you will not need the offset in the shader.

Thanks,
    Raoul

10. mike_kennedy989

mike_kennedy989

Awesome, Thanks Raoul!
    Mike

11. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Hi Raoul

I am currently fighting with two weird issues with EasyRoads.

For one, all the roads created seem to have the waypoints about 18 Unity units below the terrains surface. I am sure this is a simple mistake I made, but I cannot find out what I did wrong. Can you tell just from this description? Or do you need more information?

The second problem is with a procedural mesh I created in Blender. Simple Road with banks mesh, The source mesh looks good in Unity, and it looks okay in the procedural mesh window of EasyRoads, but it never appears as a mesh Object, and I found this warning in the console at some point:

EasyRoads3Dv3 warning: no accurate results for this mesh was found on the selected Axis

Anything I should do to make sure the mesh can be processed by EasyRoads? What could be wrong with the mesh? Do you need more information or the mesh I am using?

Regards

Gian-Reto

12. raoul

raoul

Hi Gian-Reto,

The waypoints should initially be placed where the raycast hits the terrain, regardless whether the terrains game object is positioned at y=0 or not. Does your issue always happen, in every scene? Also, for example, with the terrain in the main demo scene?

One of the characteristics of the Procedural side object type is that it connects vertices at the start and end of each segment if there are matches. For this the source mesh is extracted. The above warning appears when there is an usual high number of triangle groups extracted. What does the source mesh look like, could you send it to me prefarbly in .obj or fbx?

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. Sadi-84

Sadi-84

Hi Raul I bought EasiRoad3D PRO! But I have it does not work! There's this function! Fences, hedges, walls, pipes, tree lines, bridges, trains, rail system or any other type of geometry along the path, it only takes a couple of clicks to build geometry.! Tell please why! Thank you.

14. raoul

raoul

Hi Sadi.

I also received your PM and just replied to your email.

As explained in my email please check the v3 beta package. For v2 we have a side objects package available but we would recommend to start using v3.

Please let me know if you have further questions or let me know in more detail what does not work for you.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  15. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Is V3 out of beta? If not, is there a reason it isn't?

16. raoul

raoul

Hi StaffanEk,

V3, the system by itself is 99% ready regarding v3.0. Small things are being improved but everything is functional.

The reason why it is still in beta primarily is because of the presentation on the asset store and our website, additional resources, additonal textures, side object examples, a new demo project and the final tutorials. This is what is being worked on at the moment. Once this new demo project is ready all the above is covered. Meanwhile people also ask for additonal features so I have to find a balance in this.

For sure it is not because the workflow is unstable for release. If anyone is experiencing issues, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Raoul

recon0303, hopeful and Mazak like this.
  17. Mazak

Mazak

Its amazing how much work goes into the final stuff <sigh>

18. raoul

raoul

Hi Mazak,

Yes, I wish this part could be skipped, but I think it is necessary. All possebilities must be featured ideally for the presentation but certainly for tutorials, extra resources. I have already skipped quite some ideas I had for the first release to push it.

Again, all this is more about the final release, not so much about fixing bugs etc. If anyone is waiting for something specific please let me know so I can provide more info on that. Also let me know if you are waiting for specific resources/assets so I can take that into account.

Thanks,
    Raoul

19. No0B25

No0B25

Hi Raoul,

when I want to select a road marker and click on it, the marker is selected and then instantly the road model itself is selected. When I then again click on the road network object, the marker is still active and can be edited, until I want to edit another marker. This means I'm constantly going back and forth between the editor view and the hierarchy to switch between objects, which is very tedious. Could it be something on my end? The only editor extension I'm using is XT Reorder, which I tried deactivating, but the issue remains.

Here's a video: https://u.nya.is/dazxop.mp4

20. raoul

raoul

Hi No0B25,

Which version are you using? The latest builds should not have the "surface" object visible in the hierarchy.

General Settings > Scene Settings > Hide White Surfaces. You could switch this option on.

But by itself that is unexpected behaviour, even with the white surfaces visible and with the "surface" object part of the hierarchy it should not be selectable. What happens on your end after hiding the white surfaces. Is the road object itself selected or can you now select all markers?

Thanks,
    Raoul

21. No0B25

No0B25

Hi,

of course I forgot the version numbers... Anyway, I'm on 5.5.0f3 and use the latest EasyRoads version from the Asset Store (v3 8.3.2). I didn't start this road network on this very same version of EasyRoads though, so maybe something didn't clean up after itself when upgrading?

With the white surfaces hidden the issue still persists and also when I refresh the road network. It worked just fine with older versions of v3 and seems to went broken with the newest one.

22. raoul

raoul

There are no known issues with this in Unity 5.5.

Because the surface object already exists in the Hierarchy the Refresh Procedure will not work for this. You can manually remove the surface object from one road just as a test. It will rebuild after updating the road and it should not be visible in the hierarchy in 8.3.2.

But it seems this is unrelated. Which object is selected with the white surfaces hidden when you click a marker, the road object itself? What happens when you click on an empty area, is the terrain selected? Do you get warnings / error messages? Does this also happen in the main demo scene part of the package?

Thanks,
    Raoul

23. No0B25

No0B25

Hi,

with the white surfaces hidden either nothing would be selected (which is weird, because there would be a terrain behind the marker) or the terrain. For some reason reimporting the whole EasyRoads folder fixed the issue, so I can't tell whether a bug on Unity's, yours or my side caused it, but thank you for helping me troubleshoot.

24. raoul

raoul

Hi,

In your video the road is clearly above the terrain so with this issue either the road or the white surfaces will be selected. I would think that after hiding the white surfaces the road should be selected when clicking the marker which is in the center of the road.

It seems that something was interfering with the Scene View behaviour. The only thing that is involved here is keeping the road network selected, for some reason that code was not triggered. Did it happen straight after a package upgrade? Did you also try reopening the project?

Anyway, glad to hear you got that working :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. No0B25

No0B25

Hi,

a few days (and project openings) went by before I noticed, because today the terrain had to be adjusted in a few ways again and I needed to adjust the roads. Can't say if the issue appeared right after the upgrade. We're using a git and run Unity on Windows and macOS, so that might be another source for the cause.

By the way, is there a way to have the heightmap that EasyRoads generates to deform the terrain exported to a texture? I'd like to put that texture into TerrainComposer, because there I can have more control over the output and wouldn't need to rebake the roads every time I tweak the terrain. Also EasyRoads' output is sometimes a little too choppy even with the integrated smoothing option.

26. raoul

raoul

Thank you, this uses standard Unity API code so I would using it on both Windos and Mac shouldn't make a difference.

Does TerrainComposer accept the RAW format? In that case you can use the UNity heightmap export option.

Just in case, the terrain deformation is done based on the terrains heightmap scale on a fixed required distance for the terrain at the road level. Then it is gradually smoothened to the original terrain height according the surrounding distance. Both values are tweakable globally for the full road network and for each individual marker. If a sawtooth shape is visible in hilly areas with steep height changes between the road height and the original terrain shape, you can tweak the surrounding values to make the deformation smoother. The smoothing option does require higher surrounding values as it can only make the terrain smoother when it covers multiple terrain cells.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  27. No0B25

No0B25

Hi,

yes, TerrainComposer can take RAW. Also thanks for the advice, will try.

28. magique

magique

I just purchased this tool after having it on my wish list forever. I tried the free version earlier today and even that limited tool demonstrated just how great this product is. Thanks for making such a fantastic product. This will be an integral part of my racing game. I thought my race tracks were going to be somewhat limited, but this tool is going to make so many things possible and so easily that I can't believe I waited this long to buy it.

600 and StaffanEk like this.
  29. raoul

raoul

Good to hear you are covered regarding the heightmap.

After the v3.0 release more options will follow for smoothening the terrain further depending on the height differences between the road and the original terrain. Soemthing like the image at the top of the page but then directly affecting the terrain heightmap.

Thanks,
    Raoul

No0B25 likes this.
  30. raoul

raoul

Hi magique,

Thank you very much :)

Indeed the free version (still v2) is very limited compared to v3. Today I worked on a racing track example for the new demo project. Many circular / straight segments typical for a racing track. This will be further expanded in v3.x, I think it will be useful as an option in the road type settings. Automatically set the controller type for markers to Straight, Circular, Straight, etc. The final package will also include new curb side objects and some other race track specific side objects.

Thanks again,
    Raoul

31. magique

magique

That's great to hear. I'm setting up a separate project today to build race track environments so I'll be putting this all to the test extensively this weekend.

32. malkere

malkere

Heyo, I'm playing with the free version for rivers, but am running into a problem. I'm using MapMagic for terrain generation, but they're still just basic terrains. Selecting add markers and shift+left-click in the scene window just selects the terrain and doesn't add any markers. The terrain is under a parent, so I tried moving it out of the parent transform, but when I shift-click it selects the terrain for just an instant, like a flicker, then goes back to the RoadObject, but no markers are added.

I made a new scene and tried it and it worked....? Any ideas why I can't get it to work in my main scene.

33. magique

magique

I just starting using the Pro version and I have a small issue. Since I'm new to this I'm going through a lot of trial an error at the beginning so I've created and deleted my roads in the scene a few times already as I figure out the nuances. However, when I deleted my first road and tried to create a new one with the same name it complained that the names had to be unique. But since the road was deleted, it actually was unique. I thought maybe there must be some resource somewhere in the project used by EasyRoads that has that old name, but I couldn't find it. Is this just a bug or is there something I can delete or refresh so it'll accept the same name? I'll try closing and re-opening the scene next, but I would think that wouldn't be necessary.

[EDIT]
    I think I found it. There is an EasyRoads3D folder outside the Assets folder with the track data. I will delete those.

34. magique

magique

Awesome tool. I was previously using an asset with various track components. While not horrible, it was such a pain to get the components to fit the way I wanted and connect up at the end. With this, it auto connects, adapts to the terrain, and lets me slap down any track configuration I want in seconds. Just fantastic.

malkere likes this.
  35. raoul

raoul

Hi malkere,

That is hard to tell without seeing the scene. What is different? You could try duplicating the project / scene and strip the scene until you found the problem. Or could you send the project / scee to me so I can have a look a it.

Anyway, the free version is still v2 and multiple terrains are not supported in the free version resulting in markers not being added.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  36. raoul

raoul

Hi magique,

It sounds like you are using v2 at the moment. Indeed road names must be unqiue in v2, not in v3. Yes, you can reuse that road name after deleting the folder with the same name in the EasyRoads3D folder you mention.

But again, this is v2, I would recommend to check the v3 beta. The asset store desription includes the recommended install procedure but you will also find info in the _Readme file in the root directory of the EasyRoads3D folder.

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. raoul

raoul

Now it sounds as if you are using v3 :)

Anyway, glad to hear you like it!

Raoul

38. malkere

malkere

Alright, I have tons of terrains even in different systems in the scene, so if that's along the lines of a known limitation in the free version that's most likely related to the problem. If I pick up the latest version it should be able to work across multiple terrains/in a scene with lots of terrains? Supposedly at least?

39. raoul

raoul

Yes, both v2 Pro and v3 support multiple terrains in a scene. In v2 the terrains must be processed one by one. V3 can process all terrains at once and you can chose to process only one terrain which speeds up the process during development when switching back and forth between Edit Mode and Build Mode.

Thanks,
    Raoul

malkere and 600 like this.
  40. magique

magique

I noticed an issue with the EasyRoads3D/Diffuse shader that is used on the roads. I'm using Edy's vehicle Physics and the tire marks renderer and when this is applied to an EasyRoads3D road it doesn't show up at all. If I change the road to just use the Standard shader then I can see the tire marks. I don't see any visual difference in the 2 shaders. What is the EasyRoads3D/Diffuse shader supposed to give us?

41. raoul

raoul

Hi Magique,

These shaders use an offset as a way to deal with z-fighting with the underlaying terrain. Search for "Offset", you will see a line: Offset X, X (where X, X are negative numbers)

This is probably interfering with the tire marks shader.

If you have a reasonable flat terrain surrounding the roads you don't really need this. Using a Raise value of 0.02 should be sufficient.

Otherwise, adding this same line Offset X, X to the tire marks shader will probably solve it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. magique

magique

Thanks. I'll double check, but I think my road was fine with standard shader. I didn't see any z-fighting, but I'll make sure to look closer around entire track. Thanks for the solution in the case I might need it.

raoul likes this.
  43. lezan_

lezan_

Hi raoul,
    following your previous tips I fixed all issues.
    I have another question now: can I adjust depth bed of a river? I can raise it, but I can not lower it.

Thanks!

44. recon0303

recon0303

keep up the great work, I been using this for years now, and rarely needed support which is why I rarely post, keep up the awesome work, its the best tool on the store and one of the best ones I used for any engine to be honest, so please keep up the great work, we do appreciate your hard work.

raoul likes this.
  45. raoul

raoul

Hi lezan,

You can adjust the default shape of the river bed in the side object manager in the Shape Editor window. You can add nodes for more definition in the shape or simply lower the bottom nodes. This will automatically update scene instances after clicking the Apply button.

Or you can change the shape per marker. The B key toggles on/off white handles at the node positions for the selected marker. You can click a node and change the position.

Thaks,
    Raoul

46. imDanOush

imDanOush

Hello Raoul.
    Is it possible to use multiply road networks and connect roads of each road network to another road network?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  47. raoul

raoul

Hi D4N005H,

In earlier versions it was possible to have multiple road networks in a scene but that was causing confusion because you cannot connect roads between road networks.

From the screenshot it seems you want road network objects to be terrain specific. What is the exact reason to have multiple road networks in the scene? Perhaps there is a workaround. You are free to move the objects around once the road network is done, if that is related.

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. lezan_

lezan_

if I am not wrong, in this way I change shape for each markers (bed of all river).
    I do not want to achieve that, but just change depth (shape) at some markers.

I already tried in this way, but with B key I can only change River surface, and not River bed. If I change white handles I can only raise and lower River surface, and not River bed. As you can see, River surface disappears under River bed.

Thanks Raoul!

Attached Files:

49. raoul

raoul

Are you trying to change the river bed shape in Build Mode? That will indeed not work.

For the terrain in your screenshot you can also add more nodes to the sides so the terrain is adjusted more fluently. The 8.3.2 option to use terrain snap weights can be useful here. Instead of pulling the terrain up you want to pull it gradually down for the river bank, the priniciple is the same.

Thanks,
    Raoul

50. lezan_

lezan_

Nope.

It was just a example to view my issue.

Where can I find this new function?

So, I cannot change shape (width and depth) of River bed in only some markers, right?
    Thanks Raoul.

EDIT:
    So, I cannot change shape (width and depth) of River bed in only some markers, right?
    WRONG.
    With B key I can also change shape of River bed ( I can move all nodes defined on Shape Editor of River bed).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017