Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ghiboz

ghiboz

good thing, and just for example, if I wish a shape that the center point is 0.1 over the edges, which list I need to set?

2. raoul

raoul

As mentioned, use this at your own risk :). In General Settings > Road Types you can create new road types and change the main info but more road type data is generated internally based on that info. There is more to it than directly changing road shape / UV data only. Are you looking at this in /EasyRoads3D/Resources/ERProjectLog and ERSideObjectsLog? Please do not change that data manually.

If you want a road type with cross sections you could follow the steps below. This can be used as a quick and simple test to get familiar and start creating your own custom connections in general. The custom connections feature is a powerful tool, it can be used for all sorts of purposes.

1. Create a prefab in the assets folder from a standard Unity plane primitive. A plane primitive has 10 cross sections and the default size is 10. Based on this info, the width of your new road type and the number of cross sections you want, you can scale the prefab so the distance between those required cross sections match the final road width.

2. Create a custom prefab out of this (see the below provisional video)

3. Assign a connection by dragging a rectangle around the vertices matching the number of cross sections you want. You can do this for example on the bottom row of vertices visible in the Custom Prefab editor window.

4. Create a new road type from this info, check the below video starting at 1.00.

After you completed these steps you can optionally remove the generated custom prefab from /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom prefabs/. This way it does not show up in the crossings tab (3rd from the left).

Let me know if you have more questions about this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  3. 600

Hello @raoul,

Awesome work on this plugin, bought it some time ago and just recently started to use it. Had fun working with it, really saved me resources to model a road network for my demo scene with my custom road pieces. Still work in process, but decided to share with you:

More to come ;)

Thank you for making this, feels like a city-builder game inside of Unity.
    Good luck with the development and updates!

hopeful and raoul like this.
  4. raoul

raoul

Very, very nice work!

Thank you! I am primarily working on a new demo project showcasting all the features but have a new update coming up involving side objects. It will bring things "alive". I will post some screenshots.

Raoul

600 likes this.
  5. ghiboz

ghiboz

hello again @raoul
    i've another tricky question: loading the terrain dynamically and creating the road after I need to remove trees and details from the terrain... I'm able to do this with the editor, but from code I wish set to true the flags and rebuild the terrain.. it's possible?

6. raoul

raoul

Hello ghiboz,

Code (csharp):
    1. ERRoadNetwork.BuildRoadNetwork(bool splatmaps, bool trees, bool detail);
    Or did you mean something else?

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Hello @raoul . I just started using ER3D-V3 for my project and I'm very glad I am. So far I've found it to be extremely useful, with only a couple of problems here and there, but by using it I'm learning how to avoid them.

Because I think it is important, I'll give you my Bug Feedback:

So far, I've had some problems when turning on and off sideobjects on some nodes. Sometimes, they turn off the sideobjects on parts that don't correspond to the node that I have currently selected. It may be important to mention that it has happened on nodes that are very close to other nodes. On chicanes or road places that require a few nodes close to each other.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, I'd like to ask a question.

1 - I want to have irregular roads with noise similar to the way shown in the river example video. I haven't found the way to do that in V3, is there one? To add subdivisions across the road and then add irregularity.
    I'd like to have that because I am building off road tracks and that would be great to get the bumpiness I want.

2- In order to make curbstones with lower pattern repetition and enough mesh resolution, I decided to use the "Shape Object" mode instead of the Procedural Object Mode. The reason was, that on procedural object mode, my meshes had a very high texture pattern rate of red and white stripes, and didn't look good. If I increased the size of the shape, I got lower texture pattern repetition, but also lower mesh resolution. Shape Objects work great to get curbstones with low pattern repetition and high mesh resolution, but I can't get to work the end objects properly. Only the beginning object appears, but the end object is absent no matter what I do.

Any ideas on how to approach this? Either by using the Procedural object mode a bit differently or if there is a way to get the shape object to display the end object.

Thank you for the great asset!

Cheers.

8. raoul

raoul

Hello Alberto,

Thank you, glad to hear it is helpful for you so far!

I have seen something that seem to be similar as what you are describing. I have to check and fix this but I belief it was related to using other controller types then the default spline controller. Is that also what happens in your scene when switching on/off markers actually affect another marker or are you only using the Spline Controller type?

1. This was also recently asked by ghiboz. Having options for subdivision is on the to do list. It is fairly easy to implement as the system already supports custom shapes roads, but currently it won't work well with dynamic crossings. That is why it isn't available yet. You can however do this through the custom prefab system and create a new road type. A quick way to achieve this mentioned in the 4th post on this page. Once you get this working you can use the N key to toggle on scene controls to add irregularity per road shape node for the selected marker, both upwards and sideways.

2. I just did a quick test with a shape type of side object using Start and End objects. Start and Connection objects work well, but Indeed the end object is not instantiated, this will be fixed. Thank you for letting me know!

Is changing the tiling on the material not an option?

Thank again,
    Raoul

9. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am indeed using different settings than the default spline controller. Maybe that could be it, If you need more info to reproduce it let me know and I'll explain it further.

I'll test the irregular setup, hopefully I'll get it working soon.

How long till we see the fix for the end objects not appearing? as for why I need that method, it is because changing the tiling on the procedural shapes doesn't work as it does on the track. It changes the size of the texture on the UV, meaning I I can either increase the resolution of the stripes, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for, or I can grow the size of each stripe on that specific middle section, which ends up causing either all red or all white to be on the middle section. You can probably test it on the main test scene to see the effect that I'm explaining.

Cheers! Thanks again for the reply.

10. raoul

raoul

Hi Alberto,

In that case I am pretty certain it is the same issue. I wil have a look at this.

Yes, I see what you mean regarding UVs on the procedural meshes. I will also check what is going on with the end object on shape type of side objects.

An update is scheduled for the coming week altough asset store updates usually take almost a week to get approved. If you need all this urgently you can contact me by email or through a PM, I will send the download link of our website version.

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. ghiboz

ghiboz

wooow! It works! thanks....

awesome work!!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    raoul likes this.
  12. ghiboz

ghiboz

i've another 2 questions:

as you can see:
    1. the corner is hard shaped profiled
    2. sometimes the road seems to be under the terrain
    my sets for this road are:
    • resolution: 1.5
    • angle threshold: 1
    • follow terrain contour: true
    • contour threshold: 5
    • terrain deformation: true
    thanks again :)

13. raoul

raoul

Hi Ghiboz,

This comes up regularly. It is mentioned in the Troubleshooting section of the manual.

The unity terrain object is grid based, it is impossible to add detail points. So depending on the terrains heighmapscale (heightmap resolution versus size) you must make sure that the shape of your roads are not too complex for the specific terrain. There must be enough terrain points available to shape the terrain accrording the road shape.

It is not clearly visible, are indeed height differences involved for the road in that screenshot? Sharp bends with significant height differences are the trickiest to handle. Look at the shape of the road, how irregular it is in these situations. There must be enough terrain points available to adjust the terrain to that road shape.

There are severeal ways to deal with issues related to this. Adjust the complexity of your road shapes to the heightmapsscale of the used terrain. Increase the heightmap resolution of your terrains. Raise the Road Network slightly higher if the z-fighting is only minimal. Use terrain mesh overlays exactly matching the road shape in critical areas. You can use the shape type of side object for this, 4 nodes, the middle nodes follow the road shape, the outer two nodes snap to the terrain.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  14. ghiboz

ghiboz

thanks @raoul
    my terrain is 2048x2048 and the heightmap is 1025..
    how can I do to raise the road network?

15. raoul

raoul

That is a fairly high resolution but indeed the road in that screenshot does have significant height differences in that area, is that right?

To Raise the road network, build the road network through the middle mountain tab, after the build has finished you will see the "Raise" Control at the top in the Inspector.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. ghiboz

ghiboz

ook!!!
    and by code/api it's possible?:D

17. raoul

raoul

I will add that to the API :)

Raoul

18. ghiboz

ghiboz

thanks @raoul
    I'm using EasyRoads only by API, so if you need, i'm here!!! :rolleyes:

19. raoul

raoul

This has been added and available in the next update.

Regarding the API, eventually all scene view functionality will be added to the API but completing v3.0 has priority. nevertheless, if you have requests that are not that complicated / time consuming to implement, they will be added. So indeed let me know if you are missing somthing... :)

Raoul

20. yiliwu

yiliwu

why i moved the point but the road shape didn't changed?

21. raoul

raoul

Hello yiliwu,

Does creating a new road work? Can you see the road after adding some markers?

If not, which version are you using? You can see that in the most right tab in the Inspector. And is it the asset store version or our website version?

Also, I can't see the first image.

Thanks,
    Raoul

[Edit] Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't able to post messages yesterday for some reason. I see it is working now :)

22. raoul

raoul

There is a problem with this page

Posting on this page still does not work well after the last two posts, see the [Edit] in my previous page.

Editing a post isn't possible either unless you copy the Edit link location and paste it in the address bar.

Posting is possible from the previous page, which is how this post was done.

I am going to do some tests and force the next page...

Thanks
    Raoul

23. raoul

raoul

Please scroll upwards for an explanation of this post…

24. raoul

raoul

25. raoul

raoul

26. raoul

raoul

27. raoul

raoul

28. raoul

raoul

29. raoul

raoul

30. raoul

raoul

31. raoul

raoul

32. raoul

raoul

33. raoul

raoul

34. raoul

raoul

35. raoul

raoul

36. raoul

raoul

37. raoul

raoul

38. raoul

raoul

39. raoul

raoul

40. raoul

raoul

41. raoul

raoul

42. raoul

raoul

43. raoul

raoul

44. raoul

raoul

45. raoul

raoul

46. raoul

raoul

47. raoul

raoul

48. raoul

raoul

49. raoul

raoul

Yes, posting does work again on this new page.

See the previous page for an explanation :)

Raoul

50. ghiboz

ghiboz

lol what a strange issue on this forum... never seen this!
    I've a question: why installing the same easyroads v3 in some projects is everything ok and in some others appear this?

thanks and have a nice day :D