Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi revox2006,

You should be able to connect the two dirt tracks if they are of the same road type.

After selecting the two markers that should connect by holding Shift, does it show the "Join Selected Roads" button in the Inspector? Can you show a screenshot?

But If more then two roads should connect at the same position you want to use either a custom or dynamic crossing type in between them. For symmetrical dirt textures you can try a dynamic crossing, but a custom connection which gives more contol over the texture which might be something you want in the case of dirt textures..

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. revox2006

revox2006

Holding shift shown nothing. Can't see join selected roads in the inspector.
    http://prntscr.com/a0lew5

3. raoul

raoul

Hi revox2006,

That looks more like a crossing then connecting the ends of two roads. The Join roads option is for connecting the ends of two roads, indeed this will not work if you select markers somewhere in the middle of the road.

In this case, you want to use the "Split Road at Selected Marker" option (or SHIFT + ALT + C) on both roads. This will result in 4 roads at that crosspoint. You can now insert a crossing prefab and connect all 4 roads to this crossing.

This will be further optimized in a way that you can auto insert an X crossing if an x crossing exsists with matching connections but for now you can use the above workflow.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. revox2006

revox2006

So how do I make a dirt crossing? I can't see a prefab for it... To be honest thought this would've been easier to create more than 1 road.

5. raoul

raoul

Hello revox2006,

Currently prefabs are provided for standard roads, X crossings, T Crossings, roundabouts and a number of custom crossings/connection prefabs.

The package is beta, the final package will include a lot more prefabs. It is impossible to provide a solution for everything at once. You are asking for an X crossing with dirt tracks, last week there was a question about dirt tracks with more detail, another person needs motorways connecting to standard roads. When it comes to roads there are so many different situations...

But that is exactly also the reason why the v3 system includes two intersection types, dynamic intersections and custom intersections. This is explained in the first sections of the manual, the Quick Start section also includes links to providional videos, http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/quick_start.html

In short, dynamic intersections are built-in, you can create your own project specific crossings through the built-in system. In order to have this work with dirt tracks, the dirt track texture needs to be symmetrical. The third video in the link shows how you can customize dynamic crossings. In your case it is primarily a matter of using different materials, so it depends on the dirt material, the texture whether this will work well.

The custom crossing system is based on your own mesh models. Using this system you can have your dirt track crossing look exactly the way you want. For this you may want to check the customized road networks - Part 1 and Part 2 videos which show how to integrate your own models in the system.

Let me know if you have further questions regarding this.

Thanks,
    Raoul.

revox2006 likes this.
  6. Curunir

Curunir

Hi Raoul
    The texture on my sidewalks jumps back and forth(
    Sorry, I can't send you a gif-animation of this - hope you are understood what I mean)
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

7. raoul

raoul

Hi Curunir,

I cannot see from the provided screenshots what the problem is. The dirt "sidewalk" seems to have a consistent pattern.

But the heights are set to 0 which makes this a flat "sidewalk". Isn't merging the two textures to a single road texture an option?

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. Curunir

Curunir

Hello Raoul

Seems I've found the reason - it happens because LOD groups are lying under the road. So, can I somehow fix current LODs or disable to do it? Even if I uncheck the "Build LOD Groups" - they are still building.

I've showed you other type of sidewalk on previous post, but this type has a same problem.

Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  9. raoul

raoul

Hi Curunir,

There was a critical issue with LOD levels somewhere in beta 6.8 when support for preserving normal groups was implemented. This issue was fixed around beta 7. It is still not perfect but it should not affect the highest LOD level nearby the cam like in your screenshot. For which LOD levels is the geometry not optimized correctly?

And what does this look like in game view with the LOD group system active? It seems that it should only render the highest LOD level for that road.

I will have a look at disabling LOD Groups. It seems like a simply thing to fix, deactivate "Build LOD Groups" in the Build Settings when "Active" in General Settings > LOD Groups is unchecked.

The scene looks good by the way :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

[UPDATE] Forgot to mention, for now, you may want to try to activate General Settings > LOD Groups, then in Build Settings deactive "Build LOD Groups".

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  10. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

Hi @raoul, This asset looks nice. How would one go about creating ditches along road? Trying to find some solution for that. I'd like to have ditches on both sides of road and support for crossroads as well. Is it something I can do with this package?

11. raoul

raoul

Hi VertexSoup,

Thank you!

What sort of ditches do you want? Can you show screenshots?

In general this is not a straightforward task. I assume you want these ditches as part of the Unity terrain object? It is kinda impossible to have small holes/ditches in the terrain just aside the road and also have the terrain nicely connect with the road itself.

But you can create the ditches as a terrain mesh object on top of the unity terrainobject. You can do this with the side object system.

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

Here, couple of examples of what I mean... Could white mesh borders that modify terrain be extended to take texture that can then be used as brush on terrain?

Eg I can imagine it as black and white texture with black meaning how much ground will be pushed down and white means same height as sideroad smoothing mesh. Nice option would be to have slider to control this. Eg how deep this ditch would be carved based on that texture.

One could live with additional manual correction in turns or sharp corners. That's not an issue. Main point is to optimize creation of this on larger scale and have nice lines you can't do with bare hand.

Pictures:

I think you get the point now :)

EDIT: Added more examples.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  13. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

Using river tool just for this seem redundant. Best would be to utilize already existing system as you have both terrain modification, mesh generation, UV texturing in place.
    Consider this as nice viable feature suggestion. It would instantly add more value tho this product and made more believable networks. :)

EDIT: I would like to be able to push road to ground with edge of sidemesh be able to raise up, to "carve" road into the ground if this is not already implemented. I just purchased while ago and getting familiar with system. I found bug in demo scene v3. In one place road is flat but it is pinched up as spike on flat ground. I'll try to take screenshot of that in a moment.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  14. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

Here is screenshot.

15. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

I'm attaching quick texture you might try to work with if case you are interested. Left of texture is far side of side road mesh and right side is where road start.

v2 - sharper slope in far from road
    ditch_texture_gradient_2.png
    v1 - smooth ditch
    ditch_texture_gradient.png

16. raoul

raoul

Hi VertexSoup,

I am doing everything I can to make creating all sorts of different road networks possible. But this is not a standalone tool, in this case the limitations of the Unity terrain object play a big roll.

In none of the screenshots you can create this purely by digging the ditch in the terrain object unless you use a very small heightmapscale on the terrain. So, there is no way to carve the road, the ditch shape in the terrain object. And indeed using the river object will also not work well as that will shape a riverbed in the terrain. This tool is more intended for wider streams, rivers.

But as mentioned, all this can already be done by using terrain mesh overlays. What you want to have a look at, is both custom road shapes and the Shape type of side object. This will allow you to create terrain surface mesh overlays which you can use to visualize the ditches.

For roads you can already tweak the shape per marker. This will also be possible side objects so you can add variation in the ditch shape. I will see if I can make a quick example.

I noticed the glitch in the demo scene as well. That road uses "Follow Terrain Contours", the markers (positioned exactly at thespikes) are not snapped to the terrain causing those spikes. If you still see small spikes near markers once they match the terrain height (Toggle Off/On "Follow Terrain Coutours"), you may want to reposition them a little bit. I will update the demo scene according this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  17. raoul

raoul

Here is an example:

ditch.jpg

On the left side you see the terrain (size 2000x2000, heightmap 1025), you can see that the ditch is not fluent due to the grid based nature of the terrain object.

The ditch on the right is entirely based on side objects following the road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

ZenMicro, Curunir, hopeful and 3 others like this.
  18. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

Thank you for example I need to look into this side objects. I'm using heightmap in higher resolution tho so it might be viable for me to try both. One on the right modify terrain as well or it is using shader to archive that look? So far i like this plugin. You did great job on it. I want to use it with OpenStret map data. Hope it will go according to plan :)

19. raoul

raoul

Hi VertexSoup,

Thank you, glad you like it:)

Apart from the road mesh all this is done using side objects. Terrain deformation for the road is switched off. Instead a side object (similar as the riverbed side object in the package) is used to deform the terrain, from the left side all the way to the right side. On the left and right side of the road, Shape type of side objects are used to generate the ditch shape as a terrain mesh.

You could experiment with a shape type of side object, like the riverbed, on your specific terrains and see to what extend you can add a good looking ditch directly through the terrain object. But most of the ditches in the images you posted are quite narrow. It will be hard to get that shape directly in the terrain object.

Regarding Open Streetmap map, you can assign side objects to road types and you can assign road types to open streetmap road types. This way you can quickly build the OSM roads with side objects already activated.

Thanks,
    Raoul

btw, the screenshot was taken from the new demo project I am working on. I hope it will be useful as a reference so you can see how to deal with situations like this.

John-G likes this.
  20. Curunir

Curunir

Hi Raol!

I have some troubles with custom crossings:
    Безымянный.jpg
    Безымянный2.jpg

I need to make road with relief, not flat. So, how can I do it with your asset? Is it possible at all? :(
    Безымянный1.jpg

P.S.: How you made such amazing blend with terrain near the edges of the road? o_O

21. raoul

raoul

Hi Curunir,

I wonder whether the error has to do with the source model or something else, would it be possible to send me the model so I can check on my end?

The extruded roads from this connection will inherit the exact same shape as the selected vertices from that connection, so indeed it will not have the same pattern as the entire source model. But you can still add some variation by tweaking node positions per marker.

If you want to preserve the same detail, you can also make a procedural side object from the source model. The generated side object will look exacty as the source model. You can add terrain deformation in a similar way as done in the ditch example. But, as this is a side object, it will not be possible to connect it to crossings.

The road texture includes the same texture as the "terrain" on the left and right side of the road texture. Furthermore, a cutout shader is used to minimize visible seams.

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. ZenMicro

ZenMicro

Hi Raoul,

Have you by chance had a chance to do an example of the bush track i posted about?, i Also would like to know if this may be limited to flat terrain or if such a track could more naturally find a balance between pushing the terrain down where required and lifting it up should it be too steep by chance for example? I guess i mean Bezier curves but with control over weather the road or terrain moves to 'Mate' properly.

If you know what i mean, like a track usually follows the path of least resistance as it was created purely by drivers taking the same and best (easiest) route... although when laying the track sometimes it may be somewhat inconsistent and will require cutting into a mountain (creating a cliff cutout) etc. so does EasyRoads have an options to make the road win, the terrain win or some other percentage within limits set?

About the changes mentioned that will likely be in future updates, will they be things like limiting max twist and turns of the track?, and what happens where say a bridge needs to be inserted (with a model no less)... Also i would like to know with wanting to make it bumpy, will there be if there is not already a tool that can add this or apply this to existing segments? At least that's how i imagine it to happen in a perfect world, select a segments and apply a property so to speak.

Otherwise i agree it may have to implemented by code when running on a certain material. So by this I assume you can change materials per segment?

PS i already use Edy's Vehicle Physics which has a 'Ground Material Manager' that handles Tyre Marks, Dust etc when on a certain material so i think easy to add EasyRoads3D material to it... only thing is... can i change the material per section? else no way to add say a boggy wet bit etc... i also use RTP and think the road segments would do well to support this so you can shade them beautifully... with RTP Wetness, Glitter, and umm... Superdetail. I can imagine making some really interesting and custom tracks. Have you any knowledge of RTP and it's use on your road surfaces?

So Does EasyRoads now already allow different materials per segment? I think if so then between RTP and EVP some nice texturing can be applied.. Is the road seen as an Arbitrary Mesh? (allows me to read further on RTP as it can do some things on them but not everything i believe)

Appreciate the reply!

Cheers!

23. raoul

raoul

Hi ZenMicro,

bush-road.jpg

This is roughly done through a custom dirt crossing but the texture on the dirt crossing needs more work. The geometry of the bush track looks like the above image. As you can see, you can edit nodes to change the shape.

Also with this you have to deal with the limitations of grid based nature of the unity terrain object so I am not sure how that affects what you want to achieve.

This example is done by raising the nodes above the terrain. Indeed you could also use the same approach as the ditch example and push the terrain downwards but that will generally require wider road geometry. If you like to experiment a bit, than you could also try using a mask matching the road roughly to hide the terrain but this will also require addtional work to ignore the terrain collider.

I am not sure what you mean with limiting mx twists and turns related to futre updates? In general, V3 is about roads and connection prefabs, with these two you can create variation to the road network, add crossings, bridges, etc.

Regarding bumpyness behaviour for your car physics etc. you can use for example invisible side objects that work as triggers.

Each road (and road section between crossings) is by default an individual game object to which you can assign any material you want.

Indeed RTP can be useful in different areas, also with these terrain mesh overlays, have them blend completely with the terrain.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

docsavage likes this.
  24. ZenMicro

ZenMicro

Hi Raoul,

I just purchased Pro and would like to have access to Betas etc. Also first thing i noticed is the manual html links seem to break, should i be using an online manual? The other thing is all the road types are name with numbers, which is not very handy. Is that a bug of sorts?

View attachment 174299

EDIT: I Deleted the previous version and reinstalled it but i still get this

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  25. raoul

raoul

Hi ZenMicro,

It seems you already found the beta:), Please send me a PM or email with your asset store invoice number and email address if you like to have access to betas from our website.

Please open the manual from the local folder not through Unity, indeed you can also access the online manual through the most right Help tab.

Regarding those numbers, can you check the Troubleshooting page, the part about your Unity editor setup probably using Text mode for asset serialization instead of the default Mixed Mode? It also includes a fix for this if you really want to use Text mode for asset serialization. Does that indeed solve this?

Thanks,
    Raoul

26. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

Hi Raoul,

Is there a way to set the scene min indent to 0 or 1, I tried in scene settings but the value in the editor always snaps back to 5.72

27. ZenMicro

ZenMicro

Indeed, Setting back to Mixed mode and deleting and re-importing the package worked. I first restarted Unity just in case as well, not sure if was required.

The manual opened from explorer still seems to bomb out when you click something and them try to use the Table of Contents button produces a Page not found error for me. Anyway i will use the website help!

Thanks for your help

28. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

Hi @raoul, do you keep list of tutorial videos in some playlist I can check. I'm very much visual type of person :) I found some on tube but they are not consistent and scattered..

29. raoul

raoul

Hi ZenMicro,

Glad that worked but as mentioned if you still want to use Text Mode the workaround should fix it: Import package in project using Mixed Mode > Switch to Text Mode for Assets Serialization > Export package > Import the new export in your development project.

I see what you mean regarding the manual. Table of Contents links to manualv3.html while this page was renamed to _manualv3 for the asset store. Removing the "_" should fix it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

30. raoul

raoul

Hi VertexSoup,

http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/quick_start.html

Here you can find a list of v3 videos. The videos are still provisional, new videos/tutorials will be available once v3.0 is officially released.

Thanks,
    Raoul

VertexSoup likes this.
  31. FalconCGN

FalconCGN

Hi,

the new V3 of Easy Roads is really great work. It is fun to create roads, fences and rivers etc.

But suddenly I have a problem with my cursor (hand tool). If I click on the road network and then right mouse to orbit, the cursor always stays in orbit mode (eye icon). I can't choose tranlate, rotate or scale anymore and also orbit does not work. When I restart Unity it works again.

This error occurs also:
    ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.Vector3].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OCODOCCDCD.OOCODDQOCD (UnityEngine.GameObject parentGo, Single curDist, Single scaleFactor, EasyRoads3Dv3.SideObject so, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vecPositions, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vecPositionsLeft, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vecPositionsRight, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vecPositionsCenter, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vecDistances, Int32 currentVecArrayInt, Int32 num, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad roadScr, Int32 startConnectionEnd)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OCODOCCDCD.ODCDCQODDQ (UnityEngine.GameObject go, EasyRoads3Dv3.SideObject so, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad roadScr)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OCODOCCDCD.OOCDOQDDCC (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad roadScr, EasyRoads3Dv3.SideObject so)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OCODOCCDCD.OQCQCDDOQC (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad roadScr, Boolean isSideObjectFlag)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OODCQCQCDO.UpdateSideObjectsInScene (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCOQQOCCDO.OnSceneGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2056)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1405)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1242)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Any ideas, because its annoying to restart unity every few minutes.

Regards,
    Sebastian

32. raoul

raoul

Hi Sebastian,

Glad to hear you like it!

Regarding the cursor always staying in orbit mode, it sounds like that specific error is thrown repetitively, is that right? Because repetitive errors can cause scene view to become unresponsive. Play the scene or make a temporary script change should solve this as well.

Do you have more details regarding that specific action, right mouse to orbit? Is that indeed when the errors appear? Does that always happen? Or only when a specific road object/side object is selected? Because looking at the error message it seems it is caused by a side object.

Is it related to side object handles being displayed? The H key toggles on/off handles for side objects.

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. FalconCGN

FalconCGN

Hi Raoul,

thanks for the quick response. Well it seems to happen every time. I have placed several roads, some with connectors and disabled sideawalks by clicking the marker on the connectio/intersection.

When I click on RoadNetwork and then richt click on mouse this always happens.

Regards,
    Sebastian

34. raoul

raoul

Hi Sebastian,

There are no known issues in general with right click.

Would it be possible to have a look at this (stripped to road network and terrain only if you want)? In that case, could you email me a download link?

What you could test on your end is, duplicate the scene (or project). And one by one remove road objects until the problem disappears. But this will only confirm that indeed this is related to a specific road object / side object.

If you sent me the project or provide exact steps on how to reproduce this, I can fix it so you can continue with the current scene without having to redo a road, part of a road or side object.

Thank you,
    Raoul

35. lighting

lighting

Hi,

I'm interested in your asset and I see many its applications in conjunction with terrain generation. I'd like to ask you a few questions related to possibilities of EasyRoads. I'm sorry if any of those questions have appeared here before.

1. How does this asset can be configurable from code in the light of procedural generation ? Does it expose API, where I may e.g. provide starting point, end point and some parameters as maximum slope, maximum length, etc and i'd produce best matching road ?

2. What is the current status of supporting rivers ? Could the river be generated in the way, that is start in mountains and mouth of the river is in sea or lake ?

3. Do you plan adding support for POI such as towns, villages, etc ? I mean, that one I have map with such places, could roads connect them or go around ?

4. I've read that you are planning to add cliffs, caves and other terrain formations. Would it work with 3rd party maps such as produced by GAIA (Unity Asset) ? Would the rivers, roads consider such terrain elements while creating their shape ?

Thank you for your answers,
    Maciej

36. raoul

raoul

Hi Maciej,

V3 includes an API available both at runtime as in the unity editor. You can build roads from code. This works by passing an array of Vector3[] control points and optionally new control points afterwards. There are no parameters for maximum slope, maximum length but suggestions/requests are always welcome. You can get the total length info and you do have access to the full spline info regarding slopes and distances.

V3 does not have a dedicated river tool but you can simulate this using side objects. The demo project includes an example. The next beta update (probably available by the end of this week) includes options to tweak the shape of Shape type of side objects (which is what you want to use for rivers), so you can add variation. As for the API, you can build side objects through the API but customizations per marker is not yet possible.

This sounds like you want roads to be build automatically based on your map with towns/buildings? Regarding buildings I would think it works easier the other way around?

In general, there are no plans for what you describe. This sort of features depends on demand. You can certainly do this yourself through the API.

Do you mean the cliffs , caves examples on our website? That is pretty old actually. Meanwhile several packages are available on the asset store that can do this.But this will always work through terrain mesh overlays since it is impossible to add this sort of detail directly to a terrain object. And through the side objects system you can already generate terrain mesh overlays for detail near the road. Optionally you can export these objects and add more detailed cliffs etc. So in a way this is already possible.

Regarding Gaia, the end result is a Unity terrain object so you can use EasyRoads3D after creating your terrain with Gaia.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. sstrong

sstrong

Hey Raoul, as a regular user of ER 3, we'd like to more fully test our Landscape Builder with the latest ER beta. What version are you on now? On our roadmap is building terrains at runtime so we'd like to test that with your runtime ER API. Anything special we need to look out for? We're wondering if our tree/grass/mesh placement is going to interfere with your near-road object removal process.
    Where can we find documentation on the ER3 API?

38. raoul

raoul

Hey sstrong,

Congratulations, I see you just released your Landscape Builder asset.

The current version is 7.4, 7.5 will be available in a couple of days. The package includes a runtime example scene, a road is created at runtime and afterwards an object follows the spline curve of the road.

The API is currently developed upon requests, http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/scriptingAPI.html

Usually EasyRoads3D works fine with other terrain tools unless that terrain tool includes options to lock heightmap, splatmap, tree, detail data. Doing terrain modifications after building the road network is probably something you want to avoid, but in that case you also could rebuild the road network.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. lighting

lighting

Thank you for detailed answer :)

Indeed, I'm planning to create roads automatically between points on the map. Similarly I want to have procedural rivers. From what you've said it's possible, just requires special approach while using API (e.g. to simulate rivers). My question related to cliffs and and caves arose due to my curiosity how such procedural algorithm would consider terrain mesh modification. You've answered everything what I've asked and possible cooperation with GAIA convinced me to buy it. Once again, thanks !

Regards,
    Maciek

40. raoul

raoul

Hi Maciek,

Regarding cliffs and caves, unless this is about relatively simple terrain overlays, I would say it is almost impossible to get good results through the API instantly. This will be different per situation and usually requires fine tuning settings for optimal results in that area.

Creating good looking rivers instantly however should work fine, actually a lot better than in v2 because you can have multiple outer riverbed shape nodes snap to the terrain. This will eliminate those sawtooth terrain shapes in v2 near the edges of a riverbed shape when the terrain had to be raised to match the riverbed shape.

Anyway, let me know how it goes and if you have further questions :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

lighting likes this.
  41. lighting

lighting

Fortunately, All these terrain elements in my game will be visible from certain distance (it's rather like strategy game, not the FPS) so lack of details isn't problem for me. It's about map which contains all terrain shapes which should look quite naturally from above.
    This part of game I expect will be ready in upcoming months. I'll share you the results. Thanks !

Regards,
    Maciek

42. raoul

raoul

Ok, I thought you needed those additonal terrain elements for the procedural creation at runtime as well. That indeed makes this a little bit easier easier, as mentioned creating the roads and rivers should not be a problem.

Thanks,
    Raoul

lighting likes this.
  43. lighting

lighting

Yes. My dreamy target would be sth like map generation in Civilization game, enriched with roads, rivers, forests, etc. Of course generated procedurally basing on input params. As always, such ideas may be hard to realize however it's my passion. I'm trying to gather tools that enables procedural generation of such terrains.

Regards,
    Maciek

raoul likes this.
  44. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Does Easyroad3D Pro work for creating railroad tracks? I would like to be able to create an entire railroad system using this tool.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  45. raoul

raoul

Hi longroadhwy,

V3 includes two "road" types, roads/tracks based on the currently built-in dynamic prefabs system and roads/tracks based on custom models you import in the system. With the custom prefabs system you can create all sorts of connection shapes, also train rail tracks.

The below image is taken from the first page of the thread. An example of this is part of the provisional demo scene in the v3 beta package.

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thank you very much for the info. I was playing the version 2.x but not the version 3 beta version.

47. raoul

raoul

Yes, the current asset store download includes two packages, v2 and the v3 beta package. You probably want to import the v3 package unless you are still working on a v2 project. Once v3 is released it will replace v2 completely.

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. raoul

raoul

Beta 7.5 is now available for download from our website

The asset store update will be submitted today as well.

This update includes several new options for the shape type of side object among which, changing the shape per marker. You can use this for example to add variation to the shape of rivers.

The above example is fairly simple, it narrows down and moves slightly towards the road but you can create complex, detailed rivers this way.

By request of a user, this update also includes an option to have procedural type of side objects, like walls or guard rails, exactly follow the road geometry which can be useful for lower poly tracks for the mobile platform.

As always, please backup your project before importing the update!

And please keep reporting issues you are having!

For the next update I will look into improving roundabout customization and optimization of the side object scene view controls.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Meceka, Tinjaw and cygnusprojects like this.
  49. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Hi, I would like to know if your river tool also adds foam borders to the river?

50. raoul

raoul

Hi Rodolfo,

EasyRoads3D is a geometry creation tool that includes a side objects system. One of the three side object types are based on defining shapes. With this shape type of side object you can automatically create riverbed shapes to which the unity terrain object will adapt and you can create the actual river surface geometry. Furthermore you can set a water prefab in your assets folder as the target object. The water material and scripts will be used on the surface.

So, EasyRoads3D itself does not include water materials ,shaders, scripts, etc. it is purely useful to create the actual riverbed in the unity terrain object and the water surface geometry.

The water in the example on the previous page is the default Unity WaterProDaytime prefab.

For support for foam you may want to look into other water solutions on the asset store. I also remember the old tropical island demo, http://unity3d.com/showcase/live-demos#tropical-paradise. This project includes foam borders based on additional shore geometry. I cannot recall how that exactly works, I belief by scrolling the UV coordinates. Certainly EasyRoads3D could be used to create the requirted geometry for that as well.

Thanks,
    Raoul