Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi a436t4ataf,

In the last beta support for intersections was added to the API. The only thing missing is side object control per marker. All the API calls are in general 100% working :)

Indeed the API can be used to test the core of the tool but some things can be approved here. For example, something you do not want to do, connecting a road without sidewalks to a crossing connection with sidewalks. This is not possible in scene view, the road will not connect.

I don't think these exact words are used in the asset store description, perhaps as a reply on an older comment made in one of the reviews in which case I think the date of the reply should be taken into consideration.

What exactly is confusing about v3 currently being released in beta? V3.0 will be the current version with some small enhancement but the v3.0 feature set will be the same. The v3.0 package just needs completion in term of additional assets and a new demo project. This is just me wanting to present the final v3.0 in a "nice" way.

The large number of small bugs in the core? Could you please list all these small bugs so I can tell whether they are fixed? It looks like you are referring to earlier posts in this WIP thread. Bug reports are always taken care of.

As mentioned bugs are always being taken care of and new bugs may arise when new features are being implemented, it is an ongoing process. Indeed there will be v3.1, v3.2 and yes, EasyRoads3D was one of the very first 3rd party tools available for Unity, v3 however is an entirely new tool written from scratch so time was needed to implement all the features and get it stable. People who have been using the beta for a longer time have also mentioned that it is ready for release that is why the beta is now public. Let's see what issues users are still running into.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Nick's bug *from yesterday* is probably "minor" for people making scenes by hand, but it's *critical* for procgen games. While there are bugs like that, the asset is unusable in procgen situations - it's generating bad data, that then has a chain-reaction effect on anything that's calculating based off scene geometry (e.g. AI, pathfinding, building-placement, player actions, etc). Not to mention it looks bad.

I appreciate you didn't set out to make a procgen tool - that's fine. I'm merely trying to establish how far away it is from being procgen capable, and how much work I'd have to do to fix it. The question I have to ask (and it can only be an opinion answer, theres no right or wrong here): Is it better for me to buy it, spend time debugging your tool (I'd decompile to get approximate source code and work from there) and potentially stop development on my game waiting for you to fix bugs ... or to re-write the subset I need for myself?

Obviously, rewriting for myself has a huge lead time, but I'd be making it with procgen in mind, using lots of unit tests etc, so there would be very few late-stage bugs. But it could be weeks or months before I had a fully working version.

Obviously, using your asset will "work" first-time (until I start hitting bugs), and I can move on with other parts of my game. But it could be months (if ever) to get source fixes for bugs I find and to add bonus features I'd like.

(I'm not saying either of these is better or worst, merely giving you some insight into the questions I'm asking at the moment! ER looks great. For other, non-procgen, projects I wouldn't hesitate to use it)

3. DiegoBricksESP

DiegoBricksESP

How to make an intersections? Please

4. raoul

raoul

Hi a436t4ataf,

With "bugs" I thought you were more referring to errors, code breaking, things becoming unresponsive etc.

Nick's questions were more related to getting the best results for his particular situation, rather steep declines using an high resolution road. In my response I gave options how possibly better results can be achieved and today I also posted an improvement for good results for, almost unrealistic, very steep hairpins.

This sort of road generation is almost impossible through the API, as mentioned in my reply to Nick's post, his situation is the most critical possible especially regarding achieving the best possible terrain deformation. It is one of those situations where you want to fine tune the shape, trial and error. I would say it is fairly impossible to get 100% accurate results every time through the API. The API is at the moment build step by step, providing the main functions to create road networks through code. This will probably be expanded with additional functions like for example limiting height differences etc. to specifc angles, etc. At this moment you can take care of this sort of logic yourself.

Apart from Nick's situation, there might be other things that you may want to see handled differently but this is not related to procgen specifically and also not necessarily bug related. As you can see in the posts I always take feedback into account. You may want to implement changes yourself but my own experience is that this is not ideal for tools with regular updates.

Overall I am not 100% sure now what your question is? But in terms of error messages, code breaking, etc. API calls should be stable apart from some few exceptions I already gave, trying to connect a road without sidewalks to a crossing with sidewalks.

Thanks,
    Raoul

5. raoul

raoul

Hi DiegoBricksESP,

Do you mean how to add an intersection prefab to the scene or how to create new dynamic intersections, custom intersections?

To add and intersection to the scene, you open the crossings tab (3rd tab from the left), click the prefab you want to instantiate and Shift + Click in scene view where you want to position it.

For creating new Dynamic and Custom intersections, this video shows how to create new dynamic intersections

This video shows how to turn your own models into connection prefabs so you can use them within the system

The videos are still provisional but I hope they bring over the idea. More tutorial like videos will follow. http://www.unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/quick_start.html this page includes links to more videos:

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. dhaupert

dhaupert

Hi,

Just purchased the pro version this past week after designing a scene with the free version (v2). I have a few issues and hope you can help:

1. I installed the v3 beta first off, going for broke. Now in my GameObject menu I have the v3 item only. I ran into problems (See the following items) and then tried installing v2 .unity package. I don't see the v2 item in there- still the v3. Is there a way to downgrade back to 2?

2. The first issue I'm having is that my road keeps dipping below the terrain. I am attaching a photo here. I read the troubleshooting section but it just describes the technical reasons for this- I need to know the steps to take to fix this! I tried adjusting the height via the 'raise road network' option and even at 0.1 it's a bit off the ground in most other places. I didn't have these problems with the free version so I'm wondering what pro setting I have to change to get this to properly fit to the terrain without going under, or allow it to bring up the terrain where needed.

Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 5.04.14 PM.png

3. If I trial the road, I am seeing all sorts of weird artifacts- the ground behind me is disappearing and the road ahead shows a blurry mirage. This never happened with the free version. A screen is attached where I had the road behind me disappearing and I slowed down enough to let it catch me.

Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 5.03.59 PM.png

4. I thought it would be easy to add a bridge but don't see any sort of tutorial for it? Can you point me to a video or similar?

Thanks in advance!

7. raoul

raoul

Hi dhaupert,

1. V2 and v3 are two different tools, v2 projects will not automatically upgrade to v3 that is also why both tools are still part of the asset store package. A script is available that will create v3 roads from v2 road objects.

Regarding the packages, if that is part of your question, both packages are imported to the same folder conform the final asset store package. If you like to have both tools in the same project, you could change the "EasyRoads3D" folder to "EasyRoads3D v2" and afterwards import the v3 package. And both packages should work well together in the same project so there is not really a need to remove v3. If you still want to remove it and both packages are imported in the same folder, I would open an empty scene, remove all the contents in the EasyRaods3D folder except the sideobjectslog file if you are using side object. And afterwards reimport v2. Backup your project first before doing this!

2. It seems as if there is no terrain deformation at all. Could you select a marker so the road gets selected and look in the Inspector for the "Terrain Deformation" checkbox, is it checked? "Terrain Deformation" is also a Road Type setting, in previous betas the default value was switched off resulting in newly created roads of that type not affecting the terrain neither. This should be toggled on by default for most road types. I will double check that but meanwhile you could verify this yourself for the road types in General Settings > Road Types.

3. Is the first part related to point 2, the terrain not being deformed? Regarding the blurry road, could you select the road and click on the Road Material slot. This should highlight the material in the assets folder. Select this material in the assets folder and in the Inspector click the diffuse texture slot, this will point to the used road texture for that material. Select this texture in the assets folder and look in the Inspector for "Aniso Level" in the texture Import settings. It looks like it is set to the default value 1, please try increasing this value for a better texture quality on horizontal cam angles.

You may also want to check the UV tiling option in the road settings, it looks like it is set to the lowest value which you probably do not want for this texture type.

4. In v3 you can create bridges in several ways, purely as a road type, the bridge geometry is part of the road geometry or you can create bridges using side objects. The Main demo scene part of the package includes examples of both.

The advantage of using side objects is that they are flexible and can be adjusted to the road width. It is a matter of activating the bridge side object for the specific road. Because the default active state for markers is inactive for this side object (check the side object settings in the Side Object Manager tab) initially no bridge will be created but it will add the bridge side object to the side objects list dropdown for selected markers. This way you can activate the bridge per marker segment.

The advantage of bridges part of the road geometry is, that the bridge and road is one solid mesh, no need to activate markers etc. it is based on custom crossings so, although a little bit more preparation time is required to set up your own bridges etc., you can use this to create more complex peripheral highway kind of networks.

The final package will include more examples of both, also useful for quick prototyping.

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. dhaupert

dhaupert

Hi Raoul,

Thanks so much for your fast and helpful reply- indeed the terrain deformation was disabled, don't recall touching that setting but you never know! It made a difference. The Aniso level was already set to 6 but the UV tiling was indeed the culprit, being set to 0.1. Looks much better now.

Was also able to add a bridge. Trying to figure out how to have the bridge pilar as part of the side object for the bridge. Right now the simple bridge is working but looks very unnatural without some type of support along the undercarriage or sides. I can see you still include a model for the pilar, but don't know how to use it. Seems that the custom objects tool as per the Unity BONUS Custom objects video, is missing for v3? Otherwise I was thinking to create a second object with the pilars and align it with the road. Any ideas?

Also, I keep seeing this error in the console:
    MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'ERModularBase' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCDDQQCDCO.OnDestroy ()

Is there something I can do to fix this?

9. raoul

raoul

Hi dhaupert,

Glad to hear that works better! Regarding the "Terrain Deformation" setting, as mentioned, it could be that this is still inactive for some of the road types in General Settings > Road Types. You may want to go through the list of road types and activate this for those road types you want terrain deformation. It could also be that in the current beta, Terrain Deformation is inactive for newly created roads not matching a road type. This will for sure be active by default in the next beta because indeed generally you do want the terrain to update according the road shapes.

Yes, for longer bridges you probably want something like pilars added to the bridge You can simply activate the pilar side object also used for the custom bridge roads (see the Main demo scene). But note that in the current beta this does not entirely work well, in Edit mode all looks good but in Build mode the pilars snap to the terrain. This is fixed in the next beta.

Everything you see in the v2 videos can be done in v3, but you cannot really use these videos as a reference, v3 has a lot more options and everything is controlled through the Inspector. Do you see the "Pilar" side object as an option for road objects in the Inspector? Otherwise, can you open the Side Object Manager (2nd tab from the right), do you see this side object in the side objects dropdown list? If not, could you click the "Add Project Side Objects" button and select it to import into your scene.

That error message is raised when you remove the network game object from the scene, I have to look into that but it is harmless by itself. It has also been reported it happens when playing the scene and when you have the Road Network object selected. I cannot consistently reproduce this but I belief in this case too it is harmless. Is this also when you get the error? Do you see anyhting going wrong afterwards?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  10. NickRenkel

NickRenkel

Hi Raoul,

Do you have a quick video demonstration on how you created this? I'm really struggling to use the circular tool and i'm having some serious problems when trying to simulate what you have in the image above.

Example:

Attempt1.png

Thanks,

Nick.

11. raoul

raoul

Hi Nick,

In my initial reply, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ea...g-new-road-system.229327/page-37#post-2487276, I mentioned I noticed some strange behaviour on bigger height differences between the involved markers when using the circular controller type. That strange behaviour is exactly what you see in your screenshot. When you move the lower marker upwards the problem is resolved, is that right?

Anyway, this issue is resolved as you can see in the screenshot in the first post at the top of this page.

A beta update with this fix will be released this week. If you like to have a look at it already, I can send you a test build. Just let me know in that case.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  12. NickRenkel

NickRenkel

Hi Raoul,

Ah ok, that makes sense then! :)

If we could get a test build that would be great, we are working to quite a tight schedule so need to get this stage of development in a good position to move forward with as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Nick.

13. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi Raoul,

I did some roadworks in the weekend and allthough I noticed in screenshots from others and within your video's you have the transform gismo available when selecting a marker. In my case when I select a marker say for raising that part of the road I don't get teh transform gizmo, the marker just changes color (from blue to green) and is a yellowish gizmo is drawn (like only the box of the transform gizmo where the axises meet).
    I'm however on the latest path of Unity 5.3.2p1, so maybe the asset wasn't tested with that version? Anything else I can try?

Kind regards,

Wim

14. raoul

raoul

Hi Nick,

Ok, I will prepare a test build today and send it to you. The marker info now also displays the average angle between two markers which can be useful for this type of tracks.

I cannot find a match on your name in my email correspondence, have we been in touch over email before? Could you send me a PM (Start Conversation in my profile link) and pass your emaill address and also the 9 digit order number associated with your copy?

Thank you,
    Raoul

15. raoul

raoul

Hi Wim,

You can use the M key to toggle between the standard Position Handle (what you are looking for) and the yellow rectangle (FreeMoveHandle). The shortcuts page in the manual includes more useful shortcuts, commands etc.

Thank you,
    Raoul

16. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Indeed, I did skip the shortcut sections of the manual. Shame on me :confused:. Everything works fine as advertised now.

hopeful likes this.
  17. raoul

raoul

Hi Wim,

:) Is everything indeed generally working now?

This is to everyone, there are still some small things to fine tune, improve but please let me know if there are crucial things not working well. Roads breaking etc. I am asking this again because yesterday a short asset store review was posted saying that the beta is full of bugs and that you cannot even complete a road. But no further details are included so I wonder what could possibly still be unstable.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  18. raoul

raoul

600 likes this.
  19. ZenMicro

ZenMicro

From the image of the tool that allows you to make a shape of a railway cross-section, would this work then for dirt tracks that have been gouged out? Something like in this pic?

And if so I can see it does smooth curves etc, is there any function or plan to have a kind of 'add noise' to the 'track' so you can get a more realistic bumpy irregular surface? or a way to manually 'rough' it up a bit?

EDIT: Moved from the old forum...
    Like so :) - I didn't realize that forum was last posted mid 2015. You know I was looking for perhaps an alternative (competition) maybe cheaper asset.. but it really seems that there is nothing like this! and it's does so much... i guess this is the Unity Standard :D

600 likes this.
  20. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Well I didn't actually used v3 specific features yet (like crossroads etc) but planning on doing this very shortly (most likely tomorrow). But I can confirm making a single road object (even with sideobjects) does work. I'll keeping you posted on my progress.

Kind regards,

Wim

21. raoul

raoul

Hi ZenMicro,

What you see in the image you posted is perfectly doable. As already mentioned in the other thread, you can change the shape per marker to make it more irregular. There are more things on the To Do list related to this but all this takes time to implement so, like other features, this is more v3.1, v3.2 etc. otherwise v3.0 will never be released. Another thing you could do is implement this in your car physics if this about the driving experience. As mentioned the visuals in the screenshot are already perfectly doable.

The tool with all the different options is currently $45, hundreds of hours of work, if you dig into it you will find many other purposes other than road creation, so I don't think $45 is expensive :) Probably the only way you may get it cheaper is a tool that only does exactly what you want, but indeed I don't think that exists?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  22. raoul

raoul

Hi Wim, yes I do belief the tool in general is fairly stable. First thoughts are the issues this person had are more related to specific settings and therefor the end result not looking the way he expected. But I don't know, there are no further details, that is why I asked again here.

Thank you for keeping me posted :)

Raoul

23. ZenMicro

ZenMicro

I've just bought so many assets lately (although 8 or 9 out of 10 have been used) I thought maybe like there is for Sky systems there would be a bunch of competitors.. nope.. This is it :) and yes the $45 (that's like $63.80 in my money but I agree worth every penny) I am convinced now that this is a must have.. the discounted price will stay for a while longer I hope? while I solve other issues with a couple of packages bought and/or upgraded (creating a right mess of everything of my lighting and texturing without being sure what caused it) - I'd hate to miss a discount/sale!

24. raoul

raoul

The final release is coming closer but it won't be next week so regarding the $45 offer you are safe :)

Maybe by then I have an example of this ready for the demo project, in that case I can already sent it to you if you want.

Thanks,
    Raoul

ZenMicro likes this.
  25. dradb

dradb

I have v3 and it's working well. I'm building a mobile app. The big problem is with baking shadows in Unity. My latest attempt has been sitting at "7/11 Light Transport | 1 jobs" for 2 days. I've turned down everything I can think of to lowest settings. There's lots of posts on other threads on this but I thought someone here might have a way around it? I don't need anything fancy, just basic baked hard shadows.

26. raoul

raoul

Hi dradb,

Glad to hear this is working well for you.

Is this a question in general or EasyRoads3D related? For the past year I have been too busy creating V3 and the editor tool for our own projects. I must say I am not 100% familiar with the new Unity 5 lighting settings. I did test the basics for v3 in a small scene, terrain and some roads, I belief it works fine. Do you have issues with this?

A side note on this in general, If you experience latency while working on the road network in Unity 5, you may want to check the lighting window and switch of "Auto" (if that is indeed on) so the continuous update process is stopped. I had this on one of our test machines.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  27. ZenMicro

ZenMicro

That would be cool! So far I tried the free version and I think it is limited to a flat road with bends (where it morphs the terrain to itself) but not hills, Is that correct? Anyway I can see in the screenshots the road can do both in Pro.

28. Curunir

Curunir

Hello Raoul
    Yesterday I was asking about normalmaps - everything is ok! Thank you!

But now I have another trouble: when I trying to connect my road with the crossing - it's marker turns in red and I can't join my road(
    How can I fix it?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

29. raoul

raoul

Hi ZenMicro,

The free version is still v2 and is limited by itself, so you cannot really compare it to V3 as discussed in this thread. V3 is an entirely new road system for which no free version is available yet.

I am not entirely sure though regarding your question, what exactly is the porblem with hills? The terrain deformation? There is some recent discussion in this thread (this page and the previous page) about dealing with hilly terrains in which the limitations of the gridbased nature of the unity terrain object are mentioned and options how to deal with that. These limitations also apply to the free version 2. Please let me know if you meant something else.

Thanks,
    Raoul

30. raoul

raoul

Hi Curunir,

Glad to hear you got your materials working!

In general crossing connections turn red and attaching markers will be disabled when the road geometry of the selected marker does not match the geometry of the crossing connection.

Does that match your situation? It is not clearly visible but it looks actually as if the geometry does match or are the outer handles of the crossing sidewalks off resulting in closed sidewalks? But this doesn't seem to be the case either?

Also, is this road connected to a crossing on the other end? If so, can you disconnect it and see if you know can connect to the crossing in the screenshot?

Does this only happen with this specific crossing instance? It doesn't look like the default X Crossing in the package. Did you create a new dynamic crossing through General Settings > Crossing / Connection Prefabs?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  31. ZenMicro

ZenMicro

I'll be getting V3 anyway, but i just meant I thought it was limited to left and right turns as I didn't get any hills happening so the road was flat (bringing the terrain up or down to match the road), maybe i didn't work it out properly with my brief play with it.

Also when trying to do a Build i had issues and deleted everything to get past what i perceived as a limitation of that demo. Not worries, I'm sold that v3 is going to really make for some nice bush tracks and highways.

EasyRoad3D.png

I'll have a read of the previous pages of the forum, I just couldn't get the road to go up or down only left and right. It's okay, I just thought that was a locked feature for the demo (I also couldn't get a custom texture to stick)... so i assumed you can't do a road like in this pic in the demo. Correct me if i'm wrong (for others mostly) as I want my dirt tracks which you will include in the demo in V3 (or tutorial either way)!

32. Curunir

Curunir

Thank you a lot! I just changed a little bit my corners settings and they was different for these two crossings.
    I've used standart crossings, but changed the texture :ь.

You are my hero! Thank you :Ъ

33. raoul

raoul

Hi ZenMicro,

There is no limitation on that in the free version. After selecting a marker, you should be able to move the position gizmo upwards and downwards unless you hold Ctrl which snaps the marker to the terrain at that position.

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. raoul

raoul

Hi Curunir,

Glad to hear that!

In the crossings options you can create a sidewalk preset after completing one. This way you can can quickly set exactly matching sidewalks on other dynamic crossing connections. I belief there is something to complete here, presets no longer being available after project restart. But for now you can always select one of the sidewalk corners and create the preset once again if you need it for other crossing connections in a later stage.

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. dradb

dradb

Thank you for your reply Raoul.

The issue is only indirectly related to EasyRoads. Today I downloaded Unity V5.3 (5.2 previously) and at last it does actually bake a moderate (500x500) terrain with a network of roads, without stalling. However the results on baking shadows for fences, poles etc are just terrible. Most shadows missing and others such as road gutters, very blotchy.

Yes, "Auto" is off and I'm baking manually.

Here's what a test scene looks like before and after lightmapping. Similar results with various settings. Very vague shadows but all sorts of artefacts on the road.

Towards the end of this thread, it suggests these problems are related to the model UV's http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/so-many-lightmapping-problems-unity-5.321033/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  36. raoul

raoul

Hi dradb,

In the first image I see mainly shadows on the terrain only. What is the size of the generated lightmap texture for the terrain? In general, terrains usually are reasonably sized, you can calculate what area 1 pixel on the lightmap will cover on the terrain. Those lampposts and fences are so thin, you will need a huge lightmap texture size to get that detailed mapped on the terrain. So I think the result for the poles and fences is related to that. If a lighting specialist is reading this, please correct me if I am wrong here.

Regarding the road, that is strange. For the roads both the U and V values are clamped to 0..1 to cover the full texture, I can't see how that is causing the artifacts. Is the used lightmap pointing to the correct texture? I will do some simple tests myself anyway, I haven't looked into baking shadows on the road for a while.

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. raoul

raoul

Beta 7.4 is now available for download from our website

The asset store build will be submitted later today but note that this always takes some time before it is approved. You can always contact me if you like to have access to the website download.

The side objects system has been expanded with additional options to create more complex side objects such as power lines and walls easier. The below examples are part of the package / demo scene.

beta7.4.jpg

The final package will include more of all this but those who like to build side objects with their own assets can already use the setup of the new examples as a reference.

Furthermore there are various bug fixes among which an important one related to wrong terrain deformation for T Crossings with sidewalks and Activate bending switched on.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    red2blue and hopeful like this.
  38. akhil96

akhil96

also provide different types of intersections for linking various types of roads easily like linking default road with motorway 2*2 as making custom intersections is a bit difficult.

39. raoul

raoul

Hi Akhil96,

Yes, I know what you mean. Please note that the currently provided assets are provisional. For instance the Motorway 2x2 road is a road type we use in our project just like those other custom crossing examples. They are part of the current package just to show some examples of the different options you have to create road networks with v3.

The final package will include additonal assets for both dynamic and custom crossings, including custom objects with connections that match the dynamic crossings. This is how you can use both custom and dynamic crossings in one road network and connect roads between them.

The new beta includes a fix for a bug that did triggered the normals to flip on connected roads on a specific mesh model. This was reported by a user who created 9 other custom crossings without issues. I am also in touch with various other people who use the custom prefab system who haven't reported issue related to this recently. Based on this I belief it is fairly stable now.

The process of preparing the models for the system by itself is reasonably simple but just one of those things you have to try and get used to. Users who send me videos almost go through the full process faster then I do with all the time I spend on this. You will need by far most of the time preparing the mesh models. If you do want to use your own custom road network prefabs I would recommend to start simple, just create a quick X crossing mesh or so and test the full process and then continue with more complex models. This system gives you endless possebilities.

Thanks,
    Raoul

40. Curunir

Curunir

Attached Files:

41. dradb

dradb

Hi Raoul,

My terrain is 500x500. I've tried every setting and resolution possible without any success. I can avoid the black blobs on the road by raising it but the blobs on the kerbs always look terrible. The shadows of side objects are always quite vague, which seems to just be related to the object size compared to the terrain size.

I've come to the conclusion that on mobiles I'll have to forget about shadows.

42. raoul

raoul

Hi Curunir,

Are you refering to the tangents? You mention both when "launching the final .exe file" and at the end "build mode". Does this happen on the final Unity build or already in the EasyRoads3D Build Mode?

.Exe? Is that indeed a Windows standalone build?

I am asking because this looks like a rendering issue which involves materials. If your final EasyRoads3D build is done with "Calculate Tangents" and indeed everything does look good in the EasyRoads3D Build Mode than I cannot see what could be wrong in the final build.

Also, the screenshots look different, different lighting. Looking at this lighting, also on the terrain, I assume the issue is especially related to the crossing? Are you using the same material setup on both? And could you post two screenshots from exactly the same cam position?

Below is a quick Windows.exe build test from the main demo scene using the adapted Unity standard shader and a normalmap assigned.

_testbuild.jpg

Thanks,
    Raoul

43. raoul

raoul

Hi dradb,

Yes, it will be difficult to get a good quality lightmap shadows for these objects on the terrain, the same will happen for similar objects not involving EasyRoads3D.

Having to raise the road network a little bit before baking the lightmaps rings a bell.

Yesterday I was busy creating new builds. I will do some lightmap tests today to see if I get similar results.

Thank you,
    Raoul

44. israr

israr

Hello EveryOne, i have a question about Easy Road package , the package does not works fine at some android devices, the vehicle goes down the road Plzz help me out if Some one is fimiliar to this problem.
    Below are the Screen Shots take from game play on some andriod devices...

12656312_1694511687483277_1583953952_o.jpg
    12404697_723280394473941_1334700778_o.jpg

12631262_1694517444149368_1026766469_o.jpg

45. raoul

raoul

Hi israr,

This seems to be a rendering issue rather then "the package doesn't work fine at some Android devices".

Are you using the shaders in the package? These shaders use an offset as one of the ways to deal with z-fighting with the terrain. Perhaps these offsets are mutltiplied some how on some android devices? In that case it might be something for the Unity devs to look into, you may want to send a bug report including the android devices you tested this on, or does this happen on all android devices?

To verify/test all this, could you try the standard Unity shader? You will probably get z-fighting but does it fix the problem in the screenshots? In that case you can you try lowering the offset values towards 0 in the used shaders or use the standard shaders and raise the road network just a little bit higher depending on how much z-fighting you see. On relatively flat roads raising the road network to 0.02 or 0.03 should already work fine when using the Unity standard shader.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  46. revox2006

revox2006

2 problems

1) How do I connect roads, using the dirt road would love to know how to split routes.
    2) Fog on Tenkoku doesn't seem to affect the road which looks really weird. Had this problem with Ceto water and changed to Opaque queue rather than Transparent but doesn't seem to do anything for the road.

[EDIT] Changed to Unity5 shader created by yourself and that works for the fog, but would like to know how to connect two roads.

Thanks.

47. dradb

dradb

I'd like the upgrade please Raoul. Unity Asset is still showing "Version: 2.5.8 (Jan 22, 2016)".
    Where can I check my current version?

48. raoul

raoul

Hi revox2006,

Could you give an example regarding how you want to connect roads?

In general, you can connect roads if they are of the same type, select both markers you want to connect and click "Join Selected Roads" in the Inspector or SHIFT + ALT + J

If you want to connect two different road types you probably want a custom connection object in between for a fluent transition, certainly when the roads have different geometry.

For dirt tracks another option is to use the Fade In / Fade out option at the start resp at the end of the road and overlap the roads over the fade distance.

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. raoul

raoul

Hi dradb,

The new beta 7.4 asset store update is pending approval. You can check your version in the most right tab in the Inspector.

If you want I can send our website download link. In that case, could you send a PM (Start Conversation) and forward your email address and also the 9 digit order number associated with your EasyRoads3D Pro copy?

Regarding your previous post, I am looking into lightmapping. I checked this on Saturday and ran into weird issues Unity 5 related. When sidewalks are involved and "Calculate Tangents" is on, after using unity's CalculateSecondaryUVs() the geometry is all messed up, perhaps it is related to using submeshes? While debugging this, by coincidence I found a workaround that fixes this. I am mentioning this in case other people have noticed similar issues like this.

Today I will look further into baking shadows.

Thanks,
    Raoul

50. revox2006

revox2006

Shift Alt J doesn't work. I just want the same type of dirt road connecting to another dirt road. Got multiple roads but would like to join them if i leave them then the terrain changes doesn't work well where the roads are suppose to join.