Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. sathya

sathya

Hi,
    Is it possible to modify the width of road at each node independently ?

2. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

It happens with MeshPrefabs, too, I'm not using dynamic prefabs.

3. raoul

raoul

In v2, after adding the first road object, the system will backup the terrain data. Is that where Unity becomes unrepsonsive?

In the almost 5 years v2 exists I have never heard of issues with this, but to test, you could duplicate the terrain in the assets folder, drop the backup terrain in the scene and clean it up bit by bit and test meanwhile whether you can create a road object.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. raoul

raoul

Do you mean in the new beta update I mentioned? You can indeed control the position (x,y) for each node. A standard road will only have two nodes at the left and right side but for custom roads you can change the shape in all sorts of ways. See below a simple example:

Thanks,
    Raoul

5. raoul

raoul

Hi Carpe Denius,

I check this in the weekend, custom prefabs are actually all using the same mesh asset located in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/prefab meshes

How would you like to see this work differently?

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. sathya

sathya

I want to change the width of road itself. not the side mesh. I want the corners of road to be more wider.I do not see any controls to achieve that. Would like to know if its supported in Beta 7. If not please consider it and add it to next update

Attached Files:

• C1.PNG
      C1.PNG
      File size:
      287.6 KB
      Views:
  7. raoul

raoul

Hi sathya,

What you see in the screenshot is a single road mesh similar to the bridge example in the main demo scene of the beta package, no side objects involved. It is based on custom crossing prefabs. Making the road wider in a corner can be done in a similar way as above. After selecting the outer node, the position handle will appear which you can use to change the width.

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. lunstar

lunstar

Hi, I have a question.
    In unity, it works perfectly. But the android build version is not working properly.
    How can I fix this?

This is a result of unity editor.
    스크린샷 2015-12-21 오후 11.58.37.png

And a screenshot from android device. My vehicle is covered by roads.
    스크린샷 2015-12-21 오후 11.59.08.png

9. raoul

raoul

Hi lunstar,

It seems in the Unity editor the same distortion is visible at the top right? Just to verify, how long is this road and does this get worse and worse along the track? And does increasing the UV tiling improve this?

Looking at the cam angle and the speific texture distortion I am not sure if this is related, but did you double check the Aniso Level in the Inspector for that specific texture? What is the value?

Or is this question purely related to the wheels of your vehicly sinking in the road? This should not be platform related. It is most likely due to the offset on the EasyRoads3D shader which can have this side affect on specific cam angles / distances. This offset is used as a way to prevent z-fighting with the terrain. You can verify this by switching to, for example, the Unity standard shader for the road material. Does that solve the issue?

In that case, if this is indeed an issue in your project you can do several things:

1. Open the shader, look for the line: Offset X,X . Change the values more towards 0. This reduces the offset.
    2. Use the Unity standard shader and raise the road network slightly further above the terrain, you can do this in the build settings. Values up to 0.05 or even higher depending on your cam angles are usually hardly noticable and should be enough to prevent z-fighting if the terrain is not too hilly.

Hope this helps, otherwise let me know!

Thank you,
    Raoul

10. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

You're right, now it works. Maybe it was with beta6, I had clones of the prefab mesh everywhere (so 6 intersections => 6 identical, but seperate meshes)

11. Mazak

Mazak

This project is looking great.

I would like to buy it before the price goes up, however cash is tight right now. Do you have an estimate when V3 will be released?

12. sathya

sathya

Testing Beta 7 and when building to windows store platform app fails at WACK test. Check the following error log
    I remember you saying Easy roads 3 will support runtime. Can you please look into this. I need to resolve this issue asap. Thanks in advance.

13. raoul

raoul

That is strange, the way custom prefabs are instantiated in the scene hasn't changed in the recent updates. Please let me know if you see anything if that happens again.

Thank you,
    Raoul

14. raoul

raoul

Hi Mazak,

Thank you! I have been in touch with the asset store team and v3 can be released as a separate package part of the current v2 package. Replacing it is a bit tricky as v2 is a different package and some people are still using the v2 package neither do I want release it as a new package because that will mean those who already have a Pro license will have to purchase again...

So the schedule at the moment is that the v3 beta will be part of the asset store package as soon as possible. I am currently working on that version. Once some bugs have been fixed and the new demo project is ready it will replace the current asset store version, that is also probably when the price will go up again. I cannot give an exact date for that but it will certainly not be within the next one or two weeks.

Thank you,
    Raoul

15. raoul

raoul

Hi sathya,

Thank you for reporting this! I remember testing this a while ago and it seemed to work well but perhaps this was for Windows Phone 8 builds? Some platdorms indeed do not like System.IO. I am quite sure this is not being used anymore, I will check the upcoming new beta for Windows Store builds.

Raoul

16. Mazak

Mazak

Excellent, Thank you.

Take a look at https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/82

Maybe an email to the author would help. He sends a package that contains two packages for old and new versions in it. It works pretty well, once you import it you click on the version you want to install, simple and straight forward.

17. raoul

raoul

Hi Mazak,

Looking at the folder structure, the package import already contains both versions or does the initial package import only include two unityPackages?

What I had in mind is simply add the v3 beta as a separate package.

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. hopeful

hopeful

Not sure if you have considered this, but since you are likely to stop support on v2, you could also make v3 the version that is downloaded for U5.2 and up.

This way customers who were using v2 (and are on U4.6, or maybe 5.1) can continue using it, while those who have migrated to Unity 5.2 or 5.3 get v3.

Or something like that. I'm sure you and Unity will come up with a good plan. :)

19. raoul

raoul

Hi Hopeful,

Yes, the new version specific uploads since Unity 5 can be used for this as well.

On the other hand, the current beta does include a Unity 4 package as well since I regularly do get emails from users who are still on Unity 4.

v2 and v3 can be used in the same project so one way or another there will be a solution during the transition. And even after v3 has replaced v2, a v2 package can still be included. The question is what the best way is to keep a clean version specific /Assets/EasyRoads3/ folder. If the upload of a v2 and a v3 specific unitypackage results in an import of these v2 and v3 packages so the user can decide which one two actually import, that might be a solution.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  20. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

This time tested in the newer version:
    - when I hide white surfaces, they reappear for new intersections, I have to unhide and hide them again
    - there is a bug mentioned in the troubleshooting pages regarding red handles on crossings. I only find something about that in roundabouts and dynamic prefabs, but I'm using mesh crossings, and I still get the message that I should look into troubleshooting
    - I get a message saying that side objects are not syncronized and I should report that. Here I am ;)

21. raoul

raoul

Hi Carpe Denius,

Yes, that happens for custom crossings. This is fixed in the next beta.

Is this related to the crossing connection center handle appearing in red instead of green? That is not a bug, it means that the geometry structure of the road and that specific connection do not match. It also applies to custom mesh crossings. What message do you get as in general no message is displayed when the geomtery structure does not match, the handle simply appears in red instead of green? And are the associated crossing connections / road geometry actually the same? Could I have a look at these mesh prefabs in that case?

As always with bugs, please report with as much information as possible;), ideally with steps how to recreate the problem. For instance, what is the exact message? When exactly do you get this message, how does it affect the road network and, if this was working before, what has changed in the project meanwhile?

It sounds like this is related to side objects attached to a road object and the available side objects in the scene. When this is not in synch it should auto update in recent beta versions. Can you see something wrong?

Thank you,
    Raoul

22. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

1. ok

2. There is only the message that "this is a bug mentioned in..." and the road handle is red. If I drag the second handle to the first instead of the other way around, it works. It seems that I can't drag from the last connection of a custom prefab, like mentioned for roundabouts.

3. There are two side objects attached and they are in the scene. It tells me that it resyncs and it does, everything looks normal. Steps to reproduce are only "create 2 intersections and connect them", there are no error messages and no errors, only the message that this shouldn't happen and one should report the occurrence

I can upload it later, sure

23. Mazak

Mazak

When I import the asset, only the packages are available, the user needs to click on the package they want to use. I deleted the unused packages contained in the asset once I import the new version.

Everything updates its pretty clean.

24. raoul

raoul

Hi Carpe Denius,

I think I found that message "This is a bug mentioned on the troubleshooting page in the manual: please check the green handles of the crossing object". It happens when pulling out a new road from a connection and while dragging the road away from the connection the reference with that connection is lost. Is that what happened? What exactly do you mean with "If I drag the second handle to the first instead of the other way around, it works." Is this about connecting a road instantly between two connections of the same crossing?

As long as the custom prefab is created correctly you can pull out a new road from the last connection. You can try this on the custom prefab examples.

I tried that, Instantiate two crossings in the scene and instantly connect a road between the two. It seems to work fine for both custom and dynamic crossings, no messages.

Is this the message?
    This is indeed asking for more info just to find out in what specific situation both side object lists do not match. It should not result in issues.

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. raoul

raoul

Hi Mazak,

That indeed could be the way to avoid v2 and v3 package contents being mixed in the same folder!

Thanks again,
    Raoul

Mazak likes this.
  26. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

2: I have 2 crossings of the same type, connection 0 is south, 1 is west etc.
    If I drag crossing0:connection3 to crossing1:connection1 the handle on crossing1 turns red. If I drag crossing1:connection1 to crossing0:connection3, it works as it should

27. raoul

raoul

And if you drag crossing0:connection3 to crossing1:connection3?

Would it be possible to have a look at this custom mesh?

Thank you,
    Raoul

28. raoul

raoul

Beta 7.1 is now available!

I just uploaded a new beta package with bug fixes and the new option to change the shape of the road per marker. You can use the same link as for previous betas.

Our plans for the coming days changed a little bit. I will be away from tomorrow the 23rd until the 27th. I will take my laptop with me and work now and then but response time will be slightly less fast then usual.

Happy holidays everybody!

Raoul

29. hopeful

hopeful

Is this expected to be the final beta?

30. raoul

raoul

Hi hopeful,

Not yet, there are still some bugs to fix (the Troubleshooting and Known Issues pages in the manual) and things to improve. The new option for shape changes will also be added to side objects which could be useful to generate objects like rivers.

I will continue with that when I am back, the asset store version will also be completed for the next beta so from then on, v3 will also be available on the asset store.

But regarding new features, yes, the current feature set will probably be v3.0.

Thanks,
    Raoul

red2blue and hopeful like this.
  31. akareactor

akareactor

Hi Raoul,

1) how to change a material of a crossing? Should I make new prefab instead?
    2) What is a regular workflow with road network? Is it necessary to finalize every network road for a build? How to restore road network after finalize (if I want to fix any problems)?

32. raoul

raoul

Hi akastargazer,

1) You can make a new dynamic prefab but if you do not want to use the default material anyway you can simply change that material on the existing crossing prefabs. In general it is indeed recommended to create new dynamic prefabs specific to what you need in your road network, this also includes the materials. That way you can quickly reuse them.

2) The Finalize option should only be used if you do not use the runtime API. Even then it is optional, all it does is removing all script components. Indeed be careful with this, Finalize means finalize... there is no way back. Only use it when you are ready with the road network or just before you do a final platform build. Even then it is recommended to either duplicate the scene first or do a full project backup so you will still be able to make changes in a later stage.

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. Atzig

Atzig

Hey Raoul, I'm just wondering, are the white surfaces somehow tied into a terrains size? I'm working on a terrain that's really quite big, 45km x 45km total (multiple terrains about 10km x 10 km each)or so and the surfaces are a massive 70m. I can't adjust them in the editor, only by selecting a marker and copying to all, that's the only way to change it (even then the lowest it'll go is 30m). And even after refitting the terrains in Terrain Composer, the surfaces are still way too big. I'm using beta 6.6.1 and Unity 5.2.2f1 personal edition.

34. raoul

raoul

Hey Atzig,

The unity terrain object is grid based it is impossible to add detail points. In order to have the terrain deformed according the road shape at least one terrain point outside the road area must be at the same height as the road at that point. Hope that make sense.

This is what the white surfaces represent, they are build based on the indent and surrounding values set per marker for which a minimum value is set in General Settings > Scene Settings. This minimum value is required to guarantee the best possible terrain deformation.

What is the terrain heightmap resolution for these 10km x 10km terrain objects? 513?

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. Atzig

Atzig

Yes, that makes sense. The resolution for the height maps was 257, I assume a higher resolution would solve or at least improve my issue? And how do we get updates for the beta?

36. raoul

raoul

Yes, 257 on a 10kmx10km terrain leaves very little space for detail. Indeed the smaller the heightmapscale (heightmap resolution vs size) the more detail. The best way to deal with depends on your project and the type of road network.

If you really need those big terrains at a low heightmap resolution you could also do some tests using terrain detail meshes matching the road shape. This can be done fairly easy with side objects by using a shape type of side object with 4 or more nodes and have the outer nodes snap to the terrain. There are several shaders available on the asset store that you can use to blend the terrain mesh with the terrain itself and you could optimize this by putting these terrain meshes on a specific layer and use layerCullDistances for a smaller cull distance.

New betas can be downloaded using the same link as before.

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. sathya

sathya

Hi,
    Can we have updated build with quick fix for WACK test failing. I do not want to bake roads,Remove easyRoads and make builds as we are currently in d midddle of development.

38. raoul

raoul

Hi sathya,

I had a look earlier this week and both windows store and phone builds failed on my end as well but didn't had time to look deeper into this. As mentioned above in the beta 7.1 post I am away at the moment. I will be back the 28th and look into this.

Indeed you do not want to use "Finalize" if the road network is not completed yet. If testing the builds is urgent right now I would duplicate the project and Finalize the road network in the duplicated project.

Thank you,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  39. sathya

sathya

Hi @raoul
    Thanks. Will be waiting for the fix. merry Chirstmas

40. raoul

raoul

I will you know when this is done,

Merry Christmas
    Raoul

41. sid999_2015

sid999_2015

Hi Raoul

I've looking to purchase EasyRoads3D, but have a quick question. If I were to buy v2 today would I receive a free upgrade to v3 on release?

From a comment made on the first post...

"V3 is also included in an EasyRoads3D Pro license after it is released, no need to upgrade."

...I believe this would be the case.

Just wanted to double-check before making a decision.

Thanks

James

42. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

Yes, that is right, within the next couple of weeks the v3 beta will be part of the current asset store package. And no need to upgrade either once it has completely replaced v2. So you can already start using the current beta at no extra cost, send me a PM or email for the download link.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  43. sid999_2015

sid999_2015

Thanks Raoul...that's great news.

44. sathya

sathya

When finalizing the track please remove ERSideObjectInstace Component as well. I don't think it ll be required once we bake everything.

Edit:
    Trying to make a build with finalized roads for windows 8 platform. And EasyRoads3Dv3.dll goes along with the build even with 0 references to the dll in scenes. and Windows 8 build fails WACK test with the EasyRoads3Dv3.dll in project. If i try to exclude the dll from project it fails to build. Not finding any simple method to pass the WACK Test. Little required here. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  45. akareactor

akareactor

Please explain what's going on the video "EasyRoads3D v3 Customizing Intersections" at the moment 0:57

I cannot understand how the newly created prefab appears in the scene, inside a Temp Crossing Prefabs folder.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  46. raoul

raoul

Hi Sathya,

I will check ERSideObjectInstance.

Regarding the Windows 8 builds and the EasyRoads3Dv3.dll, it is no longer required so you can remove it from the project assuming this is the duplicated "build" project as mentioned in my previous post. Also, did you try updating the build settings for the dll in the Inspector after selecting it? I belief it is set to Any Platform by default, updating the build settings to your needs may work as well [EDIT] it seems you already tried the last bit.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  47. raoul

raoul

Hi akastargazer,

I am not entirely sure what you are asking, in short that particular video demonstrates how to create a new dynamic crossing through General Settings > Crossing Connection Prefabs. This process will create an entirely new crossing prefab that will be listed in the available crossing prefabs tab (3rd tab from the left).

As this is about creating a new "source" prefab it is temporarily added as a child to "Temp Crossing Prefabs" so you can build/customize the crossing. It will be removed from the scene after you are finished creating the new dynamic crossing. I think you are asking how to add it to the scene after clicking the "Create" button in the Inspector, is that right? This is done by Shift + Click just like adding markers.

Please let me know if you meant something else.

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. akareactor

akareactor

Exactly that! Thanks!

49. raoul

raoul

50. raoul

raoul

Hi Daniel,

Thank you, glad to hear you like it!

We generally do not give away licenses of the Pro version for free, but we can do this in return for some light work. There is a free version as well that will be updated to v3.

Also, the tool is 50% off until the v3 release!

Thank you,
    Raoul