Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi Joe,

Since there are only two markers and the road is attached to a connector on both ends this can indeed be related to what I mentioned.

If you look in the Inspector of the selected road you will see Ease In and Ease Out Smoothness sliders. What is the value? Can you remember changing these values?

This option is in the current v3.3 beta disabled because it can result in issues in specific situations. Can you remember adjusting these values before? If you want I can send an update with these option enabled so you can see the difference. In that case, are you indeed using Unity 2022 at the moment?

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. canakdemir

canakdemir

Hi,
    I want a craete a tunnel but after apply mesh editor window my models happend a kind of issue.Also happend same issue on another models like guardrails on side of the roads. How can ı fix it?

Attached Files:

3. raoul

raoul

Hi canakdemir,

What is the setup of your tunnel prefab and the side object setup? Does it have a similar setup as the provided tunnel examples?

Can you send the prefab to us so we can test it?

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. bonzyb20

bonzyb20

Is there a way to create like a center island for roads? and how?

5. raoul

raoul

Hi bonzyb20,

Do you already have center island prefabs?

This type of object in the middle of the road can be created using the side object system. Are you familiar with the side object system in EasyRoads3D? You probably want to use the Procedural side object type for this and assign your prefab to the Source Object slot.

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. bonzyb20

bonzyb20

Hi Raoul,

Is there a way to create a 4 lane road? or is it just change the materials?

thanks

7. raoul

raoul

Hi bonzyb20,

Yes, in the current v3.2 it is a matter of changing the materials / texture to a 4 lane road.

But v3.3, available in betas, includes new lane info options. The number of lanes can be set per road type. Currently this is used for generating lane data for AI purposes but eventually there will also be new road materials that will auto update to the road setup.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  8. maurosso

maurosso

Hi Raoul,

We've hit an issue we believe might be due to Easy Roads storing some restoring data on the terrains in scenes and making the scenes very bloated.

The scene in question (others have a similar issue, this one is the worst offender), has 9 terrain tiles. Each terrain object in the project file weighs around 50mb (2048x2048 terrain, world creator import). The scene, with all the various props and system setup, weighs normally <500mb. And we are ok with that.
    But at one point, it started bloating. At this moment, the Scene file is over 2gb in size, and it's the Terrain objects. After removing the terrains from the Hierarchy and saving the scene, it drops below 100mb.
    I have no other idea than that Easy Roads is saving some kind of backup data onto the Terrain Object in the scene. But I have no idea how to clear that data, or limit the amount of backups.

Any ideas?
    Martin
    EasyRoads3D Pro 3.2.3f2.t4

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
  9. raoul

raoul

Hi Martin,

Does this happen with the road network in Build Mode?

Because that may explain this. The file size increase seems on the high end but as you mention there are 9 terrain tiles and the terrain data can be significant.

In Build Mode the original terrain data is stored in order to be able to restore the terrain to the original terrain before adjusting it to the road network.

This "old" terrain data will be removed when using the Finalize option in the Build settings. Finalize should only be used at the very end just before the final build. And even then you probably want to keep a backup of the scene with the full road network data.

In your case, just to test, you could copy the full project and try and test the Finalize option in the copy to see how that affects the scene size.

This data is stored in the ERTerrain component attached to each terrain object.

Thanks,
    Raoul

maurosso likes this.
  10. maurosso

maurosso

Hey Raoul,

That's the case. When saving the scene in edit mode: 130mb. With the terrains built for the road network: over 2gb.

The problem is, it's not about some disk saving measures. It's just that our version control is having a hard time swallowing such big files. Finalizing the road network does seem like a good end step, but the various stages are still under development, and it's to early to remove ER3D from them.

Off loading that data from the scene is not an option? Are there maybe some guidelines to keep the size down?

We have a lot of different scenes, and the problem arose not that long ago...I'm wondering why now. Scenes of similar complexity where around ~500mb. But never over 2gb.
    Is it the road network complexity? (this is more or less similar over all the scenes) Some recent updates? Is there no way to throw the original terrain data outside the scene?

Thanks,
    Martin

11. raoul

raoul

Hi Martin,

The road network itself is the same in Edit Mode and in Build mode so it is not the complexity of the road network. Only terrain related data is additional data that is stored in Build mode. This can be checked in a similar test as suggested in my previous post, in a backup, but this time by removing the ERTerrain components from the terrain objects.

If the stages are still under development, is keeping the road network in Edit Mode for version control not an option?

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. maurosso

maurosso

Not really. The stages need to be tested, sent to our playtesters, managed with other system such as road signs, enviroment etc. Even in development, they need to be playable.

The thing I don't understand is the size discrepancies that arise. As I said, most of our scenes have the same backed setup (9 tiles, 18x18km). Some of the scenes weigh 500mb, some 1gb, and this one is over 2gb.

The road network is not in any way more complicated or much different than in the other scenes. On the contrary. Some scenes with a much more complex road network and more intensive terrain modification are ~1gb. Which is high, but managble. But 2 gb is just too much and our source control chokes.

I could understand a 10% or 15% difference. But here, the scene is 100% bigger than the next biggest scene without any obvious reason. And no feedback as of why that is, and what made it so.

13. raoul

raoul

Hi Maurosso,

Did you meanwhile do the tests I mentioned. Is it indeed directly related to the data stored in the ERTerrain component? Is the same terrain heightmap resolution used? Are there differences in Terrain Layer counts, tree prototypes and tree density, the same for detail objects?

If you want you can send the specific scene in a private message or email so we can look at it on our end.

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. bonzyb20

bonzyb20

Hello

How to I make custom roads? Do I import a 3d file? or? thanks

15. raoul

raoul

Hello bonzyb20,

What does your custom road look like?

It is possible to create a custom shape through the Custom Connection system based on imported models. And in v3.3 custom road shapes is supported built-in, the shape can be defined in General Settings > Road Types.

If you want to create a road shape based on a 3D model, that is not directly supported for road objects because of the complexity at intersections. A similar question was recently asked, check this link for the workaround and how this could perhaps be done with the procedural side object system part of EasyRoads3D.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. bonzyb20

bonzyb20

Hi Raoul

A road like the file attached

Attached Files:

17. raoul

raoul

Hi bonzyb20,

The image is a little bit small. The road appears to have a standard shape also doable with the v3.2 built-in options.

And there is a median strip visible in the center of the road. This can be done with side objects, is this related to the question you asked earlier this week here on the forum?

What does your road 3D model look like?

[EDIT]: Alternatively the median strip can be part of the road object shape. This involves custom road shapes imported into the system through the Custom Connection Editor window. This requires matching connection objects / intersection models with the median shape start / end sections part of this model. The assigned connection sections for the road objects should include the median shape. Attached road objects will inherit this shape.

So the start and end of the median section will be part of the connection / intersection objects, the middle section connected to the start / end will be part of the road object.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  18. didithilmy

didithilmy

Hello,

I think there's a bug in the connector lane. So here's the setup: Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 15.46.46.png

There is one two-way road, and two one-way roads. All of them have two lanes. They are generated using the Scripting API. Here's the generated path at the intersection:

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 15.42.18.png

At connections 2 and 4, notice that there are lanes that are placed on the road centre line, as opposed to where the lane is supposed to be. Is this a bug or is there something wrong with my setup?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  19. raoul

raoul

Hello didithilmy,

This is v3.3 beta, the scripting API is not fully updated yet to this type of v3.3 features. Does the same happen when creating this directly in the Unity editor without the scripting API?

Just to see if this can be recreated on our end, what is the road type setup? Are these the exact same road types that come with the v3.3 beta scene which does include similar road types.

Also, looking at the right connection with no road object attached, this intersection is a v3.2 X-Crossing prefab. Have you tried this with the v3.3 Flex Connector which will replace the v3.2 X and T-Crossing prefabs?

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. didithilmy

didithilmy

Hi Raoul,

The road type is simply a duplicate of Default Road, but in the lane info, the "one-way" option is checked. The issue still persist if I draw the roads by hand, both in prefab and flex connectors.

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 09.18.00.png

(Conn 4 is the one-way road)

Thanks

21. raoul

raoul

Hi didithilmy,

Is the intersection in this screenshot a Flex Connector? And looking at the bottom left corner line marking (not a smooth curve) it is visible that these are indeed not the default presets in the beta package.

How is the one-way road defined? Looking at the intersection shape all 4 connections appear to be based on the same road type, is that correct? Is this an intersection with 4 similar road types and is the one-way road object simply attached to the intersection road type that is not marked as one-way road? That may explain the problem.

I just created the below with the v3.3 beta presets. This is the instant result without lane modifications and assigning the smooth transitions between different road types available in the latest beta. The left road, the one way road, is clearly a different road type, confirmed by the two rectangle lane connector handles. The other road connections have an incoming and an outgoing lane connector handle. In this test the lane connectors are generated correctly.

Flex.jpg

Otherwise, to debug your situation further, can you send this project or a unity package in a private message or by email so we can look at it?

I am also asking that because you wrote that the road type is a duplicate of Default Road. When I duplicate the road type "Default Road" the intersection corner line markings are smooth just like with the "Default Road" road type, so it seems the road type settings are different on your end.

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. bonzyb20

bonzyb20

How do I fix this problems?
    Assets\GleyPlugins\TrafficSystem\Scripts\Core\Editor\ExternalTools\EasyRoads\EasyRoadsMethods.cs(62,34): error CS1061: 'ERRoad' does not contain a definition for 'GetLaneCount' and no accessible extension method 'GetLaneCount' accepting a first argument of type 'ERRoad' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\GleyPlugins\TrafficSystem\Scripts\Core\Editor\ExternalTools\EasyRoads\EasyRoadsMethods.cs(64,55): error CS1061: 'ERRoad' does not contain a definition for 'GetLeftLaneCount' and no accessible extension method 'GetLeftLaneCount' accepting a first argument of type 'ERRoad' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\GleyPlugins\TrafficSystem\Scripts\Core\Editor\ExternalTools\EasyRoads\EasyRoadsMethods.cs(65,55): error CS1061: 'ERRoad' does not contain a definition for 'GetRightLaneCount' and no accessible extension method 'GetRightLaneCount' accepting a first argument of type 'ERRoad' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\GleyPlugins\TrafficSystem\Scripts\Core\Editor\ExternalTools\EasyRoads\EasyRoadsMethods.cs(66,52): error CS1061: 'ERRoad' does not contain a definition for 'GetLaneCount' and no accessible extension method 'GetLaneCount' accepting a first argument of type 'ERRoad' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\GleyPlugins\TrafficSystem\Scripts\Core\Editor\ExternalTools\EasyRoads\EasyRoadsMethods.cs(402,48): error CS1061: 'ERRoad' does not contain a definition for 'GetLanePoints' and no accessible extension method 'GetLanePoints' accepting a first argument of type 'ERRoad' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\GleyPlugins\TrafficSystem\Scripts\Core\Editor\ExternalTools\EasyRoads\EasyRoadsMethods.cs(415,59): error CS1061: 'ERRoad' does not contain a definition for 'GetSpeedLimit' and no accessible extension method 'GetSpeedLimit' accepting a first argument of type 'ERRoad' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\GleyPlugins\TrafficSystem\Scripts\Core\Editor\ExternalTools\EasyRoads\EasyRoadsMethods.cs(443,106): error CS1061: 'ERRoad' does not contain a definition for 'GetSpeedLimit' and no accessible extension method 'GetSpeedLimit' accepting a first argument of type 'ERRoad' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\GleyPlugins\TrafficSystem\Scripts\Core\Editor\ExternalTools\EasyRoads\EasyRoadsMethods.cs(462,106): error CS1061: 'ERRoad' does not contain a definition for 'GetSpeedLimit' and no accessible extension method 'GetSpeedLimit' accepting a first argument of type 'ERRoad' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

23. raoul

raoul

Hi bonzyb20,

This seems to be Mobile Traffic System code by Gley Games, it is not our code so we cannot provide direct support for that.

But first thoughts, this traffic system requires the EasyRoads3D v3.3 lane data features. Is the v3.3 beta imported in this project?

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. bonzyb20

bonzyb20

No, I have v3.2

25. raoul

raoul

If you want you can send a private message or email us for full v3.3 beta access, the email is in the readme file in the EasyRoads3D folder.

Thanks,
    Raoul

26. bonzyb20

bonzyb20

I started a conversation with you

raoul likes this.
  27. mashermack

mashermack

Hi Raoul,
    I have a weird issue on the latest update 3.2.3f2 (using Unity 2022.2.15).

I have previously tweaked the Left/Right indent for the terrain successfully with an earlier version of your asset, now I changed slightly the terrain and moved around some markers so I could reduce a little bit the indent, after updating the asset I cannot reduce indents anymore, slider does nothing - also typing in "0" won't change anything. Indents are huge and I do not know how to solve this (terrain is hidden in the screenshot)

Screenshot 2023-11-20 165634.png

Fiddling around I found I can increase the maximum for indents but the minimum is still stuck to this value.

Screenshot 2023-11-20 165654.png

Another unrelated question, I found myself in a bit of a weird position where I needed to reclone the entire project from my git repositories, for licensing reasons I cannot include your tool into it and that's great, so I created an entire Tools folder with your editor and set it as ignored on git - however when re-cloning (on the same machine or different machines, let's say if I want to build on mac) I need to manually re-download all assets, included yours and move them around again, re-install the appropriate URP package, etc, which is a bit of an inconvenience - wonder how large teams go around with this.
    Is there a chance or even on the radar the possibility to publish your package in the future as an upm package just to facilitate the install process on multiple machines?

Thank you

28. cs747

cs747

I just had this exact issue with the indenting. If you enter debug mode in the inspector with the road node connected, you can adjust the Default Indent value freely (mine was stuck at 60).

29. raoul

raoul

Hi mashermack,

Due to the heightmap based nature of the terrain object and not being able to add detail points it is necessary that at least 1 terrain point outside the road shape is leveled at the same height as the road. That is why a minimum required Indent value is used based on the terrains heightmap resolution and the terrain size.

What are these values for the terrain object in your scene? Is the terrain indeed a fairly large terrain or is a small heightmap resolution used?

I am not entirely sure what the problem is here?

Almost all assets will be part of a final build and can remain in the project folder. The only file to remove would be this one: /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/EasyRoads3Dv3Editor

Thanks,
    Raoul

30. raoul

raoul

Hi cs747,

As mentioned in my reply there is a reason for not being able to lower Indent values below a certain value which is based on the terrain specs in the scene.

Doing what you suggest will result in the terrain breaking through the road in hilly areas or the road floating above the terrain.

Making changes to settings in debug mode is entirely at your own risk and certainly not recommended! :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

cs747 likes this.
  31. raoul

raoul

Hi didithilmy,

This is v3.3 beta, the intersection is a v3.2 intersection type.

I imported the package in a project, in a new scene I created a road network, imported the package and activated AI Traffic in General Settings > AI Traffic, all other settings are kept as they are including "Connect matching lane numbers only" which is checked. I mention this because on your end non matching lane numbers are connected.

This is the result after creating a v3.3 beta Flex Connector:

2x2.jpg

"Clear Lane Connectors" and "Rest Lane Connectors" results in the same.

A v3.2 X-connector, similar to what I see in your screenshot, results in this:

2x2_1.jpg

The package does not include the code, especially the editor code which includes version info, which v3.3 beta are you using? This is visible in the most right Info tab of the EasyRoads3D toolbar in the Inspector.

Just in case, it is also possible to create lane markings manually, start at the rectangle handle and drag towards the center handle of the lane on the outgoing connection.

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. didithilmy

didithilmy

Hi Raoul,

I'm using v3.3b12. My use case requires using a scripting API to allow users to drag and drop intersections to a map, and connect the roads later. Hence, I'm using the v3.2 connectors for now. Is this possible to do in v3.3 flex connectors?

Thank you

33. raoul

raoul

Hi didithilmy,

The Flex Connectors can be inserted using the scripting API. This can bedone through the ERRoadNetwork object by passing 3 road objects:

public ERConnection InsertFlexConnector(ERRoad road1, ERRoad road2, ERRoad road3)

The flex connector will be inserted between the nearest free available road markers.

And a Flex Connector can be inserted on an ERRoad object at a specific position. That road object will be split in two road objects:

public ERConnection InsertFlexConnector(Vector3 position, ERRoad road2, int markerIndex, out ERRoad road3)
    MarkerIndex is the marker index of road2 that should connect to this road object.

Regarding the lane data, can you provide exact steps how to reproduce the situation on our end? Or, also because this is v3.3 beta features and scripting API related, perhaps you can send us a small project where we can see the problem?

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. mashermack

mashermack

That was the problem, thanks - I've increased the resolution again of the terrain even if it was a fairly flat terrain.

Not a problem but it's more of a logical reasoning following what usually happens with package managers in other programming languages, immutable packages vs actual mutable codebase/assets. For example, if you install the unity asset store plugin it'll will be installed as a package instead of polluting the asset folder.

But sorry for asking and don't worry, I feel the general state of the package manager in unity is a dumpster fire - so it's not in any way your fault :)

35. raoul

raoul

Hi mashermack,

Glad to hear you were able to fix the issue with the terrain heightmap.

I will see what the options are regarding your upm package request without breaking the current "standard" unitypackage workflow on the asset store :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. boop_xyz

boop_xyz

Hi,

I'm a bit confused on how you can like blend your road/path in with the terrain. For example, I have a gravel patch here and I have a road using the same material and I want it to blend in with the patch. upload_2023-11-26_10-17-9.png

37. raoul

raoul

Hi boop_xyz,

Is the same texture used on both the terrain and the road?

Usually dirt type of road textures are blended with the terrain using the alpha channel on the texture. Have a look at the example dirt materials in the demo package, the textures and the used shader which also supports blending the dirt path with the terrain at the start and end.

Additionally the road shape can be blended with the terrain, the "Add Shape to Terrain Splatmap" section near the bottom in the Inspector for the selected road object. It is possible to select which terrain layer should be used and it is possible to set the smoothness and opacity level. The same options are also available for each road type, that way this only has to be set once.

Thanks,
    Raoul

38. Modimage

Modimage

Hello,
    I've got a little problem, I want to make a transition between two roads but I got an error message
    upload_2023-11-30_11-25-47.png

Material 'road material_Snow' with Shader 'EasyRoads3D/ER Road' doesn't have a float or range property '_Metallic'
    UnityEngine.Material:GetFloat (string)

I'm using Unity 2022.3.1f1 in HDRP 14.0.9
    Does anyone have a idea how I can fix that?

Thanks!

39. raoul

raoul

Hi ModImage,

This is related to I Connectors between two road objects and blending materials / textures automatically on the connector. For that specific function to work the "ER I Connector Blend" shader is required.

It seems you are using another shader.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Modimage likes this.
  40. Pazzaar

Pazzaar

Hi raoul, I'm trying to use flex connectors in the most recent beta release, however I seem to be unable to set the corner radius sometimes when connecting 2 different types of roads to create a T junction. It seems to have issues when connecting from specific world directions.
    Are you aware of any issues to do with setting corner radius in flex connectors?

41. raoul

raoul

Hi Pazzaar,

A T-junction with two different road types involved needs more attention regarding the corner radius. The secondary road is attached to the main road:

For example when the secondary road is attached to connection 3, the Corner Radius and the Left and Right Corner Curvature values are relevant. The Corner Radius controls the size of the rounding, the two Corner Curvature control the strength of the rounding. For example a small curvature of 0.1 will almost look straight regardless the Corner Radius.

Is this related?

Otherwise, there are no known issues with the corner radius, can you give more info about how specific world directions affect the corner radius?

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. Pazzaar

Pazzaar

Hi Raoul
    I've set up a new empty unity 2022 project, and I import the beta package (with 2022 upgrade).
    If I create a new road with a different width, and then create a t junction, I can't adjust the corner radius whilst facing in the -Z direction.
    doesnt work.png

Whilst I can adjust the corner radius when facing in the +Z direction.
    works.png

Have you seen this sort of behaviour before?

Thanks!

43. raoul

raoul

Hi Pazzaar,

The Inspector does show the difference as mentioned in my previous reply. In the Second image both the corner radius and the Curvature values are higher.

How are the values changed? Using the Scene View handles or manually in the Inspector? Or do both fail?

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. Pazzaar

Pazzaar

Hi Raoul, in the second image the corner radius is higher because I could change it when the road is in that position (the camera is facing in the +Z direction). When I tried adjusting the corner radius in the road in the first image (which is in a different position, I'm facing -Z) I can't change the corner radius in the inspector and in the scene view.

Thanks

45. raoul

raoul

Hi Pazaar,

I just rotated a T crossing in steps of 45 degree over the full 360 degrees. Connection 3 is the road with the different road type. In general changing the radius both in the scene and in the Inspector works well. At one point I had to set the radius of connection 2 in the Inspector. The scene view handle corresponding to connection 2 controls the radius for the secondary road. That is the only small thing I noticed which I will look into, perhaps it is related.

Is this still in the v3.3 beta demo scene? In that case could you send the scene with the specific Flex Connector orientation in a unity package (scene only) and email it (the email is in the EasyRoads3D root directory readme file)? Or send it in a private conversation? That way I can quickly see the exact situation on your end.

Thank you,
    Raoul

46. Tony347

Tony347

Hi Raoul,

I have another problem that just appeared out of nowhere and I hope you can help me out if you please.

There are two identical procedural mesh objects as uninterrupted line. One is Line_continuous_right, the other is Line_continuous_left. As I said, they are identical in settings, based on the same prefab, the only difference is that one is relative to the right side of the road, the other one relative to the left, yet the left one seems to be buggy.
    I will attach a screenshot with the problem.

Attached Files:

47. raoul

raoul

Hi Tony,

Also because the right version does work well, it is hard to tell what is wrong by only looking at the screenshot.

Is it possible to create a package with both side objects and send it in a private message or by email so I can look at it. To create a package of a selection of side object presets, press the "Export Side Objects" button near the top in the Side Object Manager.

Since it is a procedural mesh, what does the used model look like? Are both line side objects visually the same and do they use the same model? In that case, have you tried using a single side object for this and activate "Dual Sided" in the "Control Settings" below "Position"?

Also, we usually use a shape type of side object for this type of markings unless we need a more complex shape at the start or end.

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. Tony347

Tony347

Hey,

The reason I don't use "Dual Sided" option is because I don't always use it on both sides.
    Also, if I don't use it as procedural mesh, for some reason it does that (see screenshot).

I will try to export the side objects and send them to you by email.

49. Tony347

Tony347

I forgot to attach the screenshot. Here it is.
    Also. The shape object hides the object completely.

Attached Files:

50. raoul

raoul

Hi Tony,

"Dual Sided" side objects will have individual controls for the left and right side of the road. All settings, the active state, offsets, etc. are controllable per road side.

I received the link,l I will report back.

In what way is a Shape type of side object hidden on your end?. The shape can be drawn in the Shape Editor window, in this case probably just two horizontal nodes. The Y values can be set and the Y position can also be set for the final game object.

Thanks,
    Raoul