Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi OccularMalice,

What are the OSM settings before importing the OSM file?

I am asking that because it is possible to assign EasyRoads3D road types to OSM road types. And the "Follow Terrain Contours" option is available for road types.

Does this match your setup? If not, it is very much recommended to work with road types in general. For example, in case you want to change specific road type settings, this can be done for the Road Types section. And "Update Scene Instances" near the bottom in this section can be used to update all road objects in the scene that are based on that road type.

With regard to roads floating above the terrain, just in case, the OSM data file is imported with the road network in Edit Mode. The terrain is adjusted to the road objects through the middle mountain tab of the EasyRoads3D toolbar in the Inspector, the "Build Terrain(s)" button.

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

The OSM was imported via a different process (that I don't know the settings for) via the Real World Terrain asset. It created a good network (I have to go through all the connections and clean them up) but didn't conform to the terrain as that was brought in via a RAW file I got through a Lidar scan of the area. So now I have a nice, complex road network that follows most of the roads but doesn't adhere to the terrain. I can go through all the roads one-by-one and select a node then click the "Follow Terrain Contours" as I go through cleaning them up, but was hoping I could just get them all "dropped" on the terrain at once and then worry about cleaning up/creating connections.

3. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Also I really struggle sometime with the system (for example a lot of times I have a node that won't move and the only real fix is to remove it with Shift-R and add a new one back a bit then do the connection. However I started the level with all the different road types (from the demo package I installed after the core one) and at some point things got messed up and now I only have one road type (Default Road). I can't seem to get back all of the old types I had and can't figure out where they went. It's confusing because the documentation/video says to use the demo package to bring all of that in, but it's older than the core package. So are you supposed to import the demo first then the core or the other way around? And how do I get all my road types back again?

4. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

LOL. Just deleted the demo package to see about reimporting it, and now it's been updated. Must have just been updated since I loading it up earlier this morning.

5. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Okay, reimported the demo assets but still stuck as I only have 1 road type in the scene (Default Road), the "Add Project Road Types" button is disabled and selecting "Manage Project Road Types" only shows the one. I don't know where the dozen or so sample road types went now?

6. raoul

raoul

Hello OccularMalice,

I went through your posts,

I think the below is still what is unanswered.

"Follow Terrain Contours" is intended to adjust the spline curve more to the road shape, not as a complete alternative to adjusting the terrain to the road shape.

LiDAR files are usually high resolution and the road shape can be clearly visible in the terrain. But that does also depend on the Unity terrain object resolution and size. Usually you would still want to do this final step of adjusting the terrain to the final road network shape.

The additional road types and side objects in the demo package are stored in the ERDemoPresets asset in the EasyRoads3D root directory and these presets are used in the two demo scenes. There are two ways to make these presets available in other scene:

1. Open both scenes and select / deselect the road network objects in the hierarchy. This action will update the project with all road types and side objects in the scene that are not yet available in the project log. That is also how your own presets will be come available across scenes.

2. In your scene go to the Road Types section and the Side Object Manager section. There is an option in these sections to Import road types resp. side objects. A window will open, drop the above mentioned ERDemoPresets asset in this window. All road types / side objects will appear. They can all be imported or a selection can be made.

Yes, an update of the demo package was released this afternoon. The update is especially Unity 2022.2 related.

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

That's what I was looking for, dropping the ERDemoPresets into the import road type window gave me back the full list. Thanks!

As for the roads I'm still not sure since you said "Follow Terrain Contours" is intended to adjust the spline curve more to the road shape, not as a complete alternative to adjusting the terrain to the road shape. I'm not trying to adjust the terrain to the road shape, I'm trying to do the opposite. The road shapes are all a few meters above the terrain. I want to adjust *all* of the roads to conform to the terrain.

In any case I have to adjust all the roads manually anyways so I'm just selecting the node and having it conform then making the adjustments. That's working and since I have to go through every road (and now with the demo road types restored I can do this since I needed to change a lot of the types) I'll just work through that.

Thanks!

8. raoul

raoul

Glad to hear you managed to get the road types back in your project. If you are still looking for an optimized way to adjust the road shapes I would need a little bit more info.

It sounds as if the generated road objects are position higher above the terrain. Isn't this something that can be adjusted in Real World Terrain before the EasyRoads3D API is used to generate the road objects? I know RWT supports EasyRoads3D for this and sometimes users have questions, but I have never heard that RWT generated road objects are created higher above the terrain.

And in my first reply I mentioned road types. Does RWT give you this option to use road types? Are road types assigned to the generated road objects? That would be the first thing to try after the road objects are created. See if the "Contours Threshold" option can be applied to all road objects this way.

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

RWT might have more options for the integration but I went with a simple setup so I could just connect things together later. After a few hours of messing around with things in a test system I find RWT doesn't do a great job with complex roadways so it's best to just adjust things after the fact, but at least it starts from a base and gets things working quickly. I just reran the terrain import and things were fixed, not sure why the roads were all over the place before.

One more question that I don't recall from the videos, how can you connect two different road types? For example the main road in the town is a Motorway 2x2, but there are several roads coming off of that that I've set to Primary Road. Not sure how to connect them in an intersection, which seems like a common thing to me.

Thanks

10. raoul

raoul

You have the demo package imported. The v3.2 demo scene shows how different road types can connect. The demo package already uses the v3.3 beta, this version includes the Flex Connector which can connect different road types.

The Motorway 2x2 road type is a road type preset from the demo package. This is not a road for a standard junction, the 2x2 road texture isn't suitable for that. Instead for this road type there is a custom roundabout option and a motorway exit / entrance prefab.

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. It's not really an on-ramp/off-ramp setup but rather a traditional 4 way intersection, it just happens that it's a lesser road connecting to a motorway. If I can't do that I'll look at replacing the motorway with two primary roads and that'll work.

12. raoul

raoul

I mentioned these two connection prefabs as connection prefabs that are currently available.

There are so many different intersection types in the real world. One of the first things that was implemented in v3 is the Custom Connection system, connections types / intersections based on your own models imported into the system. So that is an option if you are looking for something different.

Another option is to make an intersection version of the 2x2 motorway texture. That way it is possible to use the Motorway 2x2 road type with "standard" intersections.

Thanks,
    Raoul

OccularMalice likes this.
  13. Recon03

Recon03

Hi Raoul, its been awhile anyways, I been using Easy Roads but I have not used the side object feature much, since its release, but I notice while using a few things.

One you need to scroll to change values for marker side objects, why can't we type in the value?

Also when I make default Marker active state, checked, I can't adjust the X position. I can the rest of them, like random and so forth, but not X pos.

So I was wondering if this is by design or a bug? I assume a bug, since its there...

I'm using Barriers by the way. I 'm using your demo ones. in a new project.

Last question, how do I select the whole road, I made, so I can add side objects, it seems to not let me edit, them, unless I do one by one. Which is a pain. I tried selecting manually even,.

I like these new features, and I notice you have side walks for preview mode, I used Easy Roads on and off for 10 + years now, its always been pretty awesome.

Nice work by the way.

14. raoul

raoul

Hi Recon03,

Hope you are well.

Is this in the Side Object Manager or side object settings for a specific road object? Can you give an example of a control for which entering a value does not work?

In general you should be able to enter a value, some controls however also require the enter key to avoid that the side object updates after each keystroke.

I assume this is in the side object settings of the selected road object. "X Position" is one of the controls that require the enter key after changes. I just double checked, I see no issues with this regardless whether "Default Marker Active State" is checked or not. The side object updates after pressing the enter key.

Shift + Z will select all road markers. And when two markers are selected, Shift + Z will select all markers between these two markers, so this can also be used to quickly select a range of markers.

http://www.easyroads3d.com/v3/html/shortcuts.html

Glad to hear you like the new features. If you are using the additional demo package then the v3.3 beta is imported. Sidewalks are handled differently in v3.3, there is indeed a new Sidewalk section in General Settings where sidewalk presets can be created. These presets can be assigned to road types and they can be activated/deactivated on individual road objects and v3.3 Flex Connectors.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Recon03 likes this.
  15. Recon03

Recon03

After rebooting I was able to add values , but the GUI /inspector at times get unreadable, things are mashed together, so you can't select or read some things, this happens, its Unity 2021 by the way.

Shift Z, Ok thanks that worked to select all, Thanks for that.

I did notice to, that terrain over lay sometimes, I had tor reboot Unity, would keep adding new ones even when I didn't when it would refresh. I deleted it, rebooted Unity and that fixed itself too.

So some bugs I notice from GUI bugs mostly in the inspector are happening. Some i'm sure are Unity though, I make alot of inspectors so I know this happens, so I will cut you a break, haha, but I wanted to let you know incase, someone else had these issues.

I been having issues adding terrain textures, and adjusting its X pos, Y pos, since its to big, I will mess with it more later, but I found that to be a bit difficult, so for example if you have a road , with some height and after you build, you get an area, that you want to add terrain over lay , for a texture, like rocks, or some other terrain texture, is there a better way you can suggest?? This nearly worked, the way I liked, but I found that the side object would not adjust to where I wanted no matter what X pos, Y pos and the way I adjusted the right indent , helped some, but just not the look I was after.

Do you suggest a different work flow for adding textures to areas that I want a terrain texture on the side of the road, that has some height to it.

As far as sidewalks, are there any textures, meshes for this anywhere? I did not see them, and I was not able to import any, same with decals...

I tend to use them when testing, prototyping so I find that stuff useful. So, just wondering where they are.? I have the demo downloaded, I had to do that to get the side objects.

I have a ton of my own which I added some when you first added some of this. and I have some from working with other stuff, so I can add my own, but I like to use ones that come with it at first until I get how things are working as they should..

Thanks Raoul, I always loved Easy Roads, you did a fantastic job over the years with it...

16. Recon03

Recon03

Here is the bugged GUI. it looks like it needs more padding between values , and such.

Attached Files:

• ER.jpg
      ER.jpg
      File size:
      54.3 KB
      Views:
  17. Recon03

Recon03

This is what I was talking about with the terrain texture on the side. Is there a better way to handle this?

I wish we could grab where the red arrow is and adjust this. if we can how? I can adjust the right indent as before when using ER, I can adjust X and Y pos. but No matter how I adjust this, I cant seem to get some of the width of that side object to be smaller. I wish we could be able to grab verts/edges, like the rest of the road mesh, so we have more control over that.

I hope with images this helps explain what I'm asking. Thanks again.

Edit:

I actually can edit this in the shape editor , unless you have a better way, but this seems to work ok.

Attached Files:

• ER1.jpg
      ER1.jpg
      File size:
      48 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  18. raoul

raoul

The screenshot in the other post shows a narrow Inspector layout. making it wider will solve the text issue.

It seems you are looking for a way to auto adjust the terrain texturing based on height differences after adjusting the terrain. This is no the list to add.

But I am not sure because you also mention side objects. What is the exact situation and how and what type of side objects are used here? Because side objects can be used for example to auto generate retaining walls or other shapes snapping to the ground. The v3.2+ demo scene does include examples of this in the hilly areas.

The new sidewalk options are not featured in the v3,2+ demo scene. The v3.3 beta package on the download page of our website includes v3.3 sidewalk preset examples. It is indeed recommended to check the setup of these presets, also with regard to crosswalk options.

19. raoul

raoul

Ok, so this is a shape type of side object snapping to the terrain? The default shape can indeed be created / edited in the Shape Editor window.

And you want to customize the shape per marker?

The B key toggles on/off handle display for each side object shape node for the selected marker. These handles can be selected and moved. But this is currently supported for single side objects that are not used on both sides of the road, the "Dual Sided" option in the Side Object Manager. So for this, currently a left and right version is required if you want to use this on both sides of the road. This is easy to do in the Side Object Manager, duplicate the side object and in the Shape Editor window press the "Mirror Horizontally" button.

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. Recon03

Recon03

I'm a UX/UI Designer by my professional, not to sound rude, I tried that first thing, it does not fix it, you have an issue You have to expand it pretty far , its spread through out your other GUI's...too The issue is, its not scaling , properly.

Annoying having to expand the inspector that far out, I work with many different software open, so I work strictly in 2 by 3 layout.

This is a default layout 2 x3, so if you add more padding/space between values, this will address this issue. Not trying to tell you what to do, but it should be working with Unity default layouts. Its not. Unity has built in UI scaling, while not always that great, this is why this needs to be done. I come across this with Unity horrible inspectors.

I normally would have fixed it myself, but I remember ER is a DLL. Other wise I would of not of mentioned it. so if this is something you would address for 2 by 3 default, layout, I would be great ful. Thanks

Just making the space/padding between values will address it , it should be like a 10 second fix. Most of the other inspectors all have the same problem so the space is prolly the same through out all of your inspectors. .

21. Recon03

Recon03

Ya I use one one side, I remember the mirror part, that is easy to do, most side objects are working great, but this one, has not been so good.

You said toggle "B" what do I have to select in order for that to work? as expected?

Thanks!

PS Shape Editor, ya I remember that after making the post , I used it before , it was one aspect that was super useful, like having Maya sorta in Unity for side objects. Super useful. So that was addressed anyways.

I just need to get this to work, toggle "B" does nothing, so maybe i'm not selecting, something that needs to be?

I recommend, at the top of the inspector, under Help, I would add these controls there. I know you have them in the docs too, but having them for work flow reason would be helpful, I always do that when I design software at work, it saves support questions.

22. raoul

raoul

Making the Inspector wider does fix it on our end, see the attachment

This is using standard Unity Inspector code. In the case of the screenshot: EditorGUILayout.Toggle()

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/EditorGUILayout.Toggle.html

Attached is also a screenshot of part of the Unity Terrain component Inspector on a narrow Inspector. The same happens in the Tree & Detail Objects section where the GUIContent text string is too long for the available space. Seeing this is why we never looked deeper into it. But if there is a quick fix for that we can look into this.

Attached Files:

23. raoul

raoul

This is Scene View window related so this window must have focus when pressing the B key. And the specific Side Object must be the selected in the side object in the dropdown of the specific marker in the Inspector.

When the side object is set to be Dual Sided there should be a warning message in the console. Otherwise it should show/hide handles at the node positions for the selected marker.

The Shape type of side object can indeed be used for many different purposes and it is quite easy to setup in the Shape Editor window.

Do you mean add controls for this also in the Inspector to set the active state for node shape changes? This is always something we consider, the situation here also is that sometimes we here that there are too many controls in the Inspector, controls that people may not use so often.

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. Recon03

Recon03

Nah, just a tool tip is all that is needed, so that users know what is needed like Shift R to remove, Shift to add and so on. So no controls or anything.

If it was me, I would add right above the ER modular base, the tool tip, Shift R to remove, Shift to add markers and so on. Since your inside this alot, I would add it right above it where it says what the commands are, so its just text. I do this in many assets that I can change the code, since I cant remember commands, from all the different software I use, Houdini, Maya, Substance , Unity assets , Unreal and so on, hard to keep up, and I hate digging for docs, just for that aspect, to remember commands. So, I would add that. pretty simple stuff.

Thanks for the other info. I still can't get "B" to toggle, but I will keep messing with it. Everything else is good to go.

Other than the annoying GUI scaling issue.

25. Recon03

Recon03

it does, but you need to expand way beyond any other asset I have used. Its crazy. lol..... The lay out of 2 by 3.... Unity default.. No reason why this should be this way, I have 5 programs open, for work flow reasons this is annoying as heck. I HAVE to expand it and move all my other software that is open I have two monitors, as well.... I wish I had GUI access, I could fix it in 10 seconds, lol....

I showed you its broke in a Screen shot and if you like its all of them...Super annoying. Like I said if this was any other asset I would of never bothered the dev, I would of adjusted myself, but I cant.

Here is an example, with properties drawers.

public class SpaceDecoratorDrawerExample : MonoBehaviour {
    public int health = 0;
    public int maxHealth = 100;
    [Space(10)]
    public int stam = 0;
    public int maxStam= 10;
    }

Could also use headers. it would be alot cleaner, and readable.
    [Header("Health Settings")]
    public int health = 0;
    public int maxHealth = 100;

Or use both the same time, anyways this is something super quick to address, Unity UI is bad as it is...

Looks like your using headers, but add some more space for example, left indent Alignment,
    shorter that, or make it Left Indent
    Alignment
    Add space and add the right, and so on. its all jammed up together causing this issue. I fixed many other assets, that tend to do this ..

Better yet, some of the longer naming you have there, make a space or shorter there names . That would be even faster to fix. . Some of yours have longer names, so Unity UI scaling is screwing up as always. Typically 2x3 I normally don't have to mess with many assets, unless they have long names, yours I have to bring out even further than normal which is why I noticed it.

A few assets have a few things that cut off, at 2 x3 layout that happens, but yours does alot of important aspects.

Unity UI scaling works, half ass, is the biggest issue...lol

Maybe consider, leaving the GUI a non DLL. Its mostly Unity stuff anyways... Just my 2 cents.

26. raoul

raoul

This Inspector glitch with longer label names started to happen in the new Unity editor style, I belief it was introduced in Unity 2019.3 or Unity 2020.

I just checked newer versions, Unity 2021.2 and Unity 2022, I don't see this happening in these versions. Which version do you use?

27. Recon03

Recon03

I'm aware its in 2021.3 as well.., which is what I use. Default, 2 by 3 is all broke. I use 2 by 3, since Unity 3 . Layout

I been using Unity for nearly 2 decades now so , Unity has its UI issues. This is part of why the UI TOOL kit was made.

Like I said, if you can make the GUI not a dll, or address this, its a quick fix that would be great.

I don't use 2022, yet, but I bet its there too.

28. raoul

raoul

That is strange.

The screenshots I posted yesterday are from a Unity 2020 project.

This is Unity 2021.3.11f1. The same for Unity 2021.2 and Unity 2022.

Inspector1_ER.jpg Inspector_terrain.jpg

I tried the 2 by 3 layout you mentioned but the in your screenshot highlighted control "Clamp to Road Geometry" is fully visible with that layout so I made the Inspector smaller so it clearly shows what happens for longer names.

Just like for the Unity Terrain Object, longer names are not fully visible just like it used to do instead of being displayed unreadable on two lines like in your screenshot.

I understand what you are asking but I would think it is also good to know what actually happens on your end, why this looks different on your end. We see the same behaviour for the EasyRoads3D Inspector as for example the Unity Terrain component Inspector.

Recon03 likes this.
  29. Recon03

Recon03

I tried in a new project, this one too, but I did anyways, to make sure its not the project, same issue, 2021.3.16. let me upgrade to .17, I will let you know.

I know in 2020 I seen a ton of odd issues with different versions of 2020, so if your not having the issue, it could be related to the version.

Upgrading to .17 right now. Not the first time this happen.

30. Recon03

Recon03

Try 2021.3.16 for the heck of it, just to see if its Unity being annoying, I will check .17... This happen alot with other issues in 2020. .... versions.. for other odd issues...

Unity adds all sorts of fun bugs.

I normally stay back a few versions so I won't be using 2022, or once they do 2023 for awhile... I stay back, so I will be on Unity 2021 for awhile, I updated not to long ago from 2020. I felt forced since 2020 was buggy as crap.

if this is a Unity issue, then I will use another version of 2021, which is fine by me.

PS: Check when alot of values are together, I noticed it happens more when that happens. as well as longer names.. Not all of them but which is why I mention adding space. The one your sharing has a lot of space and headers.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  31. Recon03

Recon03

So this is 2021.3.17

Attached Files:

32. Recon03

Recon03

you will see this one is fine, though, so I believe it to be padding, with the longer names, others with longer names, seem to have more padding. the more I look at it.

What is happening, is the name is longer, and the value box, is huge, I know in Unity that has been an issue for ever. So when the longer name, has no where to go, it cant scale at 2 by 3. properly, when there is to much of other properties below it, so it won't scale. So, in order things need to be moved down. Re-named.

I know the tool kit was partly made, as this Inspector GUI seems to be getting worse over the years with problems..

If you could add a slight increase to space, that would be helpful , what it does for some things, it pushes it down so I can't even select some values at all to make changes.
    Annoying, so i'm sure its prolly on Unity side, but this can help users like myself who are having issues, since I can't read all the values/properties , with out having to expand it all the way blocking folders, and forcing me to turn off other software like Modo, or Maya while making models for ER.

So, if you can shorten a few names, shift as far left as possible for names. Make space between longer named, properties that would be helpful.

the smallest change for folks not having issues, it shouldn't effect them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  33. Recon03

Recon03

So, tested 2020, as I used ER last I think in 2018 or 2019..... 2020, is working for me, go figure.... But using 2021, 2020 for most things have been a nightmare..

Just my luck, oh well..

34. raoul

raoul

Hi Recon03,

Unity 2018, early 2019 is the previous Unity editor. These glitches with longer names and to narrow Inspector windows started when the new Unity UI style was released, I belief it was Unity 2019.3. But they seemed to be resolved now. It is strange that you are seeing different things.

I have made a note to go through the Inspector and shorten names, that would be the most logical to do at the moment as we cannot reproduce your situation in recent Unity versions.

I also made a note to add support for side object shape node changes per marker when "Dual Sided" is active, a single side object that is used on both sides of the road and where the shape is editable individually per marker on both sides of the road.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. Recon03

Recon03

The ones I shared with issues are 2021.3.16, 2021.3.17..

Also the newest 2020.3 version. Those are the ones I tried.

When I used 2018, if I had the issue I would of said something, so I doubt that I did. being a UI programmer, when ever I see an issue I either fix it myself, or if I can't I mention it to the developer due to DLL. Other wise, every other asset, software, I always just fix to my liking or fix bugs like that. Its rare I say much to most developers regarding bugs. But with yours being a DLL, I have no choice.

This is prolly related to Unity, Unity has got worse with issues over the years since Unity 5...

Thanks

36. LegacySystem

LegacySystem

Hi,
    Is there a way to move all the roads and markers at once ? I want to move my city from the origin but when ever ı tried it snap backs to where it started moving. Is there a way to move it all at once ?

37. raoul

raoul

Hi,

The road network position itself is indeed locked. The reason for that is to avoid that it is moved accidentally, especially in more hilly environments it will be hard to move it back to the original position exactly matching the terrain.

But it can be done by selecting both the two child objects "Connection Objects" and "Road Objects". After moving these two objects there will be a message in the Inspector and a button "Apply Transform Changes" to make the position change permanent.

Thanks,
    Raoul

38. Barritico

Barritico

Hello.

I have a question, to see if there is a solution.

I have in my scene 46 roads and paths. I need to adjust all of them to the terrain. To get it, I select one, pick a point, do CTRL + R, then CTRL + SHIFT + M and it snaps. With the option "TERRAIN DEFORMATION" activated the road is redone, adjusting to the terrain.

I have to do this operation on 46 roads in this scene and close to 70 in another.

Is there a method, script or the like to make it all (or most of it) easier?

Thank you.

Hola.

Tengo una pregunta, a ver si hay solución.

Tengo en mi escena 46 carreteras y caminos. Necesito ajustar todas ellas al terreno. Para conseguir, selecciono una, escojo un punto, hago CTRL + R, luego CTRL + MAYS + M y se ajusta. Con la opción "DEFORMACIÓN TERRENO" activada las carretera se rehace, ajustándose al terreno.

Esta operación la tengo que hacer en 46 carreteras en esta escena y en cerca de 70 en otra.

¿Hay algún método, script o similar para hacerlo todo (o la mayor parte posible) de forma más sencilla?

Muchas gracias.

39. raoul

raoul

Hi Barritico,

Ctrl + R removes the selected marker, I guess you mean Ctrl + Z for selecting all road markers?

And CTRL + SHIFT + M will snap the selected road markers to the terrain height at that position. So I think that is the situation the road network in this scene does not match the current terrain?

The easiest way to do that for all road objects is through an editor script. Are you familiar with that?

In the ERRoadNetwork class: public ERRoad[] GetRoadObjects()

In the ERRoad class: public void FollowTerrainContours(bool value)

Part of FollowTerrainContours(true) is that it will snap all road marker positions to the terrain at that height. Unless you actually want to activate the "Follow Terrain Contours" feature you want to call FollowTerrainContours(false) afterwards to deactivate this for the specific road object.

Switching on/off "Follow Terrain Contours" for each road object will also snap all road markers of that road object to the terrain.

Thanks y un saludo :)
    Raoul

Barritico likes this.
  40. Barritico

Barritico

Yes, I'm with it. But there is no way to achieve the effect.

The fact is that I am changing the terrain from time to time. I put jumps, speed bumps and things like that. To leave an optimal mesh, I put a road "invisible" in terms of texture but using the mesh of the product.

And horrible things remain, with the car "floating" because it steps on a mesh that has not been adjusted.

With script I have not succeeded and was wondering if there was any other method. I will keep researching and testing.

Thank you very much as always.

41. raoul

raoul

Have you tried activating "Follow Terrain Contours" in the Inspector? Does that have the desired effect? The road markers should snap to the terrain. I just tested that with a road object with markers that are not aligned with the terrain.

But you mention that the road is "invisible", do you mean the road object itself is hidden and the road is only used as a road mesh collider?

What is the exact workflow? Is the terrain shape actually adjusted to the road shape?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Barritico likes this.
  42. Setmaster

Setmaster

Getting this error on unity 2022.2.4f1

Code (CSharp):
    1. Timeout while updating assemblies:Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.dll (Output: C:\Users\peter\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp688a19d.tmp)
    2. Assets/EasyRoads3D/lib/EasyRoads3Dv3.dll (Output: C:\Users\peter\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp198d3ac3.tmp)
    3. Assets/EasyRoads3D/lib/DelaunayER.dll (Output: C:\Users\peter\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp4037cf74.tmp)
    4. UnityEditor.Scripting.APIUpdaterLogger:WriteErrorToConsole (string,object[])

43. raoul

raoul

Hello Setmaster,

That looks like a package import issue. There are currently no known import related issues with the packages on the Asset store, also for Unity 2022.2 for which support was added last month.

Which exact packages do you have imported?

And what is the history of this project? Was it upgraded from an older Unity version? In that case, can you try downloading the asset again from the Asset Store from this Unity version and import this package.

Otherwise, have you tried restarting Unity? Is the asset usable or do you get more errors for example when opening the demo scene and selecting the road network in the hierarchy and moving road markers?

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. Hugo99999999

Hugo99999999

I am making an open world using EasyRoads3D Pro and I want to prefabricate the road but it doesn't work because its mesh will be lost. Is there a solution?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  45. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Hi guys,

I've imported some OSM data over top of a Bing map image of an area. The road in question is a cul-de-sac. The OSM data just generated a single road that just ends. How would I define this road? I don't see any option to make a road ending like this (and don't want to loop it around because that looks horrible).

2023-02-08.png

See the attached image for the satellite view and road network.

46. raoul

raoul

Hi OccularMalice,

Cul-de-sac type of road endings are currently not yet supported built-in, it is on the list.

Meanwhile, options are to model this type of cul-de-sac and import it into the system through the Custom Connection system. These are connection prefabs based on your own models so road objects can automatically connect just like with built-in connection types.

And looking at the shape of this cul-de-sac another option could be using a built-in roundabout with a small radius and only one connection.

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Thanks. I'll look at the roundabout and see if I have a prefab I can use for a custom model.

raoul likes this.
  48. Setmaster

Setmaster

I imported 3droads Pro 3.2.2f2 and the HD addon. The problem happens with the Pro installed even if the HD addon isn't. I can load the scenes that comes with it and can play them but if I try to use the 3d roads component such as modifying a road Unity gets stuck into an Inspector.initorrebuild loop. I reproduced the error in a brand new project as well.

Things I have tried:
    Deleting library and regenerating it
    Updating Unity
    Deleting the package multiple times and installing it again
    Testing if it causes the error in a new project (it does)
    Redownloading the package

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  49. raoul

raoul

Does Unity hang forever or does the Inspector.initorrebuild message disappear after a while and does the road network become responsive after that? And in that case, does that always happen or only occasionally?

In general, we have tested the EasyRoads3D Asset during the 2022.2 beta period, made necessary changes and also tested on the final 2022.2.0f1 release. Additional to that, no issues have been reported so far with the package itself in Unity 2022.2. So it is hard to give more feedback at this moment.

With all the Unity version updates throughout the years we have never seen critical changes in a specific version update, but we will double check this in the latest Unity 2022.2.x release and report back.

If you want you can send us a project (by email) in which this happens so we can test your exact setup on our end.

Thanks,
    Raoul

50. raoul

raoul

Meanwhile we tested the EasyRoads3D Pro package in Unity 2022.2.5f1.

The first test was in a new HDRP project. After the package import there were similar "Timeout" messages in the console as in your first post.

But the confirmation message that the EasyRoads3D HDRP material package was automatically imported was also visible. This means that the respective assemblies were actually successfully imported otherwise the code that imports the HDRP package would not have been executed.

Without restarting Unity we opened the provided demo scene. It loaded instantly, and indeed selecting the road network object in the hierarchy instantly showed the EasyRoads3D toolbar in the Inspector. Road objects are selectable and road markers can be moved without issues / delays.

The second test was in a new standard Unity project using the built-in render pipeline. The import process was faster, there were no "Timeout" messages.

Is your project a HDRP or URP project? I am just asking this to get a better idea of your situation. In that case, the tool should work just fine in an URP or HDRP project, but you could do a test in a standard Unity project just to see if you notice a difference.

Thanks,
    Raoul