Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi raoul,

I opend up the ERCallback script but... it is empty?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. [ExecuteInEditMode()]
    5. public class ERCallback : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     // Use this for initialization
    8.     void Start () {
    10.     }
    12.     // Update is called once per frame
    13.     void Update () {
    15.     }
    16. }

or is this all and I just don´t get it :D?

2. raoul

raoul

Hi @marcell123455,

I will check the demo package, but the actual code is in an editor script, something like:

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. using EasyRoads3Dv3;
    7. [CustomEditor (typeof(ERCallback))]
    8. public class ERCallbackEditor : Editor  {
    10.     public void OnEnable()
    11.     {
    12.         // This will call OnBuild() after the road network has switched to Build Mode
    13.         ERRoadNetwork.onBuildModeEnter += OnBuild;
    15.         // This will call OnEdit() after the road network has switched to Build Mode
    16.         ERRoadNetwork.onEditModeEnter += OnEdit;
    18.         // This will call OnRoadUpdate(ERRoad road) after each road update
    19.         ERRoadNetwork.onRoadUpdate += OnRoadUpdate;
    21.         // This will call OnRoadUpdate(ERRoad road) after each road update
    22.         ERRoadNetwork.onSideObjectUpdate += OnSideObjectUpdate;
    23.     }
    25.     void OnDisable()
    26.     {
    27.         ERRoadNetwork.onBuildModeEnter -= OnBuild;
    28.         ERRoadNetwork.onEditModeEnter -= OnEdit;
    29.         ERRoadNetwork.onRoadUpdate -= OnRoadUpdate;
    30.         ERRoadNetwork.onSideObjectUpdate -= OnSideObjectUpdate;
    31.     }
    33.     public void OnBuild(){
    34.     //    Debug.Log("Enter Build Mode");
    35.     }
    37.     public void OnEdit(){
    38.     //        Debug.Log("Exit Build Mode");
    39.     }
    41.     public void OnRoadUpdate(ERRoad road){
    42.         Debug.Log("road Update: " + road.GetName() );
    43.     }
    45.     public void OnSideObjectUpdate(ERSideObjectInstance soInstance)
    46.     {
    47.     //    Debug.Log("Side Object Update " + soInstance.gameObject.name );
    48.     }
    50. }
    If you paste this in a new editor script ERCallbackEditor.cs in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/ and you drop the ERCallback component for example on the main road network object, you should see the road name in the console after updating a road. So, put your code in this case in OnRoadUpdate(ERRoad road).

As you can see, similar options are available for side object updates and switching back and forth between Edit Mode and Build Mode.

Thanks,
    Raoul

joanpescador and marcell123455 like this.
  3. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hey Raoul,

another thing that just came to my mind, that I haven´t tested yet: are the road smoothness settings like random bumpiness over distance, still active on the road sections that have a tunnel or bridge sideobject enabled? in my case this always caused the road to interfer with the bridge base for example. If not, I think a bool or something, where I could enable / disable that behavior per road type would be cool...

thanks ;)

4. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

Did that happen with random bumpiness or with random tilting (or both)?

Random bumpiness does still continue on bridge sections and should work well with the bridge base unless the bridge base resolution is considerably lower than the road resolution.

Random tilting on bridges is less "logical" and could cause issues depending on the bridge side object alignment settings.

In the latest builds, the v3.3 beta and the new v3.2.1f1, possible tilting in front of a bridge section does not continue on the bridge section itself. This is the case for both manually activated bridge sections as auto generated bridge sections.

I guess something similar can also be added for random bumpiness, although this can also be adjusted manually for the specific marker segments.

Thanks,
    Raoul

marcell123455 likes this.
  5. FGHCStudios

FGHCStudios

Hello. How can I use a guard rail in an intersection? I can't use in an intersection, only in road paths. "Side objects in an intersection"

Please help me, thank you,
    Diego.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  6. raoul

raoul

Hi Diego,

Do you want to continue guard rails on roads on intersections or add separate guard rails to an intersection?

Guard rails (side objects) on intersections is not yet supported so it is not possible to continue guard rails on roads on intersections. But it is being worked on.

What can be done in the current version is add guard rails to intersections by creating the guard rails as unique objects without roads being involved. This can be done by marking the new object as "Side Object" in the "Add New Road / Object" tab. That way the guard rail can be added to intersections.

It is also possible to export these guard rails and add them as child object to intersection prefabs. That is how the guard rails were added to the motorway exits in the demo package.

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. Barritico

Barritico

I have a major problem.

In image 1 you can see the roads, once the parameter used to eliminate the vegetation created by Vegetation Studio Pro has been added. You can see that they are fine ... without any grass.

Save the scene, I generate the standalone and what I show in image 2 appears. The herbs appear on the roads, ignoring the parameter.

EASYROAD version: v3.2.1f1
    UNITY version: 2021.1.28f1

road_edition.png Image 1

road_fail.png Image 2

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  8. raoul

raoul

Hi Barritico,

Nothing has changed regarding Vegetation Studio.

I am not in the position at the moment to check the new v3.2.1f1 with Vegetation Studio. I will check tomorrow and report back.

Meanwhile, if you want to do a test, does this indeed work well in a new project with Unity 2021.1.28f1, EasyRoads3D v3.2.0f5 and Vegetation Studio?

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. Barritico

Barritico

Excuse my ignorance. How can I put an older version than the one I already have downloaded and updated? I've never done it, honestly.

10. raoul

raoul

Downloading / importing older versions is indeed currently not an option on the Asset Store.

Do you have an older project or a backup with the previous version you used? Generally it is recommended to backup projects first before upgrading. We backup projects every week and also after major changes.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Barritico likes this.
  11. Barritico

Barritico

In the end, it turns out that the problem was mine.

I have added a code to solve the "floating point" problem and it was the one that was generating the failures. In editing it was not a problem as it was not running, but it did when it was in standalone or in edit-play.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

12. raoul

raoul

Glad to hear you got that working again and thank you for the update!

Raoul

Barritico likes this.
  13. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Hello Raoul,

I can't believe I never asked this, but what should be the distance between points of a road?

Thanks

14. raoul

raoul

Hello James,

Do you mean the road resolution? That depends on the type of road and the quality you are after taking optimization into account.

Motorways usually have a larger distance between points than narrow curvy mountain roads.

The "Angle Threshold" option can also be useful here. By using a higher values for the distance between points (Resolution) and a lower value for "Angle Threshold" the triangle count can be reduced significantly without losing quality.

Thanks,
    Raoul

JamesWjRose likes this.
  15. Barritico

Barritico

Hello again.
    I'm doing tests. I don't trust Unity updates. They always give problems.

I have updated a project to version 2021.2.1f1
    Easyroad is in the latest version.

When I open the scene that contains the roads, and clicking on "Road Network" I get this text in the console:

TypeLoadException: Could not resolve type with token 010000ef from typeref (expected class 'UnityEditor.Experimental.SceneManagement.PrefabStage' in assembly 'UnityEditor, Version = 0.0.0.0, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken = null')

And then several times:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCDQCOCQOD.OnInspectorGUI () (at <f436446019554ab1a61dfadaf00869e7>: 0)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement + <> c__DisplayClass59_0. <CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor> b__0 () (at <5cd53c58cab44054a1ac592b0da25132>: 0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent (Int32, IntPtr, Boolean &)

All this comes out every time I click on "road network"

This same scene, with Unity 2021.1.28f1 and the same versions of Easyroad, does not happen.

FYI

16. raoul

raoul

Hi Barritico,

The first error (the other errors are a result) points to a critical change in Unity 2021.2

EasyRoads3D v3.2.1f1 has been uploaded to the Asset Store with a version specifically for Unity 2021.2 with a fix for these critical changes.

Can you check the most right info tab in the EasyRoads3D toolbar in the Inspector, is v3.2.1f1 indeed imported and did you import it from the Unity Asset Store?

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi raoul,

I think I found a bug in ERV3.2.1f1 using unity 2019.4.14.f1.

I created a custom connection prefab using this model:
    https://mega.nz/file/Ac1DQYQQ#FRmaGWDXA7CJUDUAdgxp5juyE-6aOXws5S9xluevsxM

then during connection prefab setup, I created a new roadtype within the connection builder, and appied that to my connection ends. Now after placing that prefab in the scene and pulling some roads out, I selected my road type in the general settings tab and increased the roads default inted and default surrounding area to 5 and 10. Then I hit update scene instances but it didn´t changed the exising roads. So I deleted them and placed new roads. Now it is no longer possible to connect that road to the connection prefab.

I also deleted my connection prefab and tried to set it up again, but in the connection builder, it was not possible anymore to select this road type for the connection ends.

Maybe you should take a look at that.

thanks

18. Gua

Gua

@raoul, at the moment, Easy Roads 3d automatically creates collider for my roads. Is there an option that would allow me not create and attach mesh collider to created roads?

19. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

So this is not built-in crossing connection related but related to a model that you want to import into the system.

I looked at your model. I am not sure what the connections should look like? Three different road type setups are possible, one for 2 nodes, two for 3 nodes and one for 4 nodes.

marcell_custom.jpg

I created the two node connection and the two 3 node connections and two new corresponding road types, .

Then I added a prefab to the scene and connected roads. After updating the Indent and surrounding values in Road Types and pressing "Update Scene Instances" the Indent values did update. The Surrounding values did not update, I will check that. New road instances do inherit the updated surrounding values.

Then I duplicated the original prefab and created a new Custom Connection prefab from this prefab. The two and three node road types do appear when creating the respective connections. So I cannot recreate this problem.

The node setup/ the connection shape is important for road types, only road types with a shape that match the current connection selection will be displayed. Since your prefab has options for three different connection shapes, could that be involved? What was your intial setup?

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. raoul

raoul

Hi @Gua,

Indeed Mesh Colliders are created for the roads. Having this done optionally was requested recently, it is on the list to add.

If you do coding, meanwhile the collider can be removed through a callback after the road is updated. Example code for callbacks is actually posted further above.

Thanks,
    Raoul

21. Barritico

Barritico

I have tried everything and nothing.

I have removed everything about Easyroad, reinstalled it, and the error remains the same.

I've been removing and adding "scripting define symbos" (VSP 1.4.6 works only if you act on these fields), with no success.

I will continue with 2021.1 and wait for another time to see if I have more luck.

Thanks.

22. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

I just tried it again and now it worked :| I don´t know what I have done differently but uh ok... I only used 2 nodes for all connection ends like on the left. The mesh extension on the right is just for terrain adjustment when terrain building.

Thanks

raoul likes this.
  23. raoul

raoul

Hi @Barritico,

Is this still about 2021.2?

What is the project history? Was the new v3.2.1f1 imported in an older Unity versions and was the project upgraded to Unity 2021.2 after that?

Have you tried clearing the cache of Asset Store packages and force the reimport of v3.2.1f1 from the Asset Store from within the Unity 2021.2 editor version?

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

Small issue. Version 3.3.b4

I made a 6 lane road, currently the only road in the scene, and occasionally the connection will look like this: https://imgur.com/a/vAnvROk

Before I delete and recreate the ones that have the issue I thought I'd ask if there is some setting I should adjust or....

25. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

That is known, tweaking the angles by moving the Flex Connector itself or one of the attached roads should correct that. But I belief what is known is that this is actually more related to narrow roads connecting to wider roads.

What is the road width? That way I can see if it can be replicated easily.

I am asking this because over the past weeks it is day in day out working with Flex Connectors, sidewalks and new crosswalk options in the v3.3 beta currently on roads that are between 6 and 10 units wide and I have not once seen that happening.

Thanks,
    Raoul

26. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

The road specs are:
    Width: 18
    Subsegments: 1
    Resolution: 2
    Angle Threshold: 45
    Lanes: 6

All the roads in the scene are this Road Type, so it's not about different connections, at least not in this case.

You are correct that if I pull/move the Connection in the direction where the issue/missing part of the Connection exists that the Connection rebuilds correctly.

If there is other info you need, just let me know.

27. raoul

raoul

Thank you for the additional info.

And does this consistently happen? What are the exact step you take? For example, create a new road road with two markers. And after that extrude a new road from the middle of the road so a Flex Connector is inserted.

28. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hey @raoul ,

I think I found a inconsistent thing in ER that seems unnoticed. When you setup a custom connection prefab, place it in the scene and pull a road out of it, the roads first node that is connected to the connection has a reduced left and right terrain intend and surrounding area. But if you just place the prefab in the scene, create a road with the add new road tab place some markers and connect a end to the connection prefab, that nodes intend and surrounding does not get adjusted.

This means depending on how the road was connected to the prefab, the intend and surrounding area of the connected node is not consistend. Maybe it would make sense to have a option to set the connection start node behavior during connection setup?

thanks

29. raoul

raoul

Hi @marcell123455,

Are you referring to the highlight surfaces option for the Indent and Surrounding zones?

In that case, please ignore the first node position after being attached to a connection.

General Settings > Scene Settings > Hide White Surfaces

This gives a true representation of how the terrain will be adjusted.

Or do you notice an inaccuracy in this as well? In that case, what exactly is the issue with adjusting the Terrain in Build Mode?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  30. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Sadly I have not seen it to be consistent If I find a pattern I will let you know.

It happens when I have an existing road, then drag the end of a new road to intersect with the existing road. Both are the same road. Not helpful, I know.

31. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi raoul,

when enabeling white surfaces it shows me the same behavior. In this screenshot you can see the left road was added to the scene and connected to the connection prefab, the right road was pulled out of the connection prefab.

https://imgur.com/PJHApHR

The problem I see is the behavior/ differenct of the intend / surrounding area, at the connected nodes depending on the workflow.

thanks

32. raoul

raoul

Yes, on the first attempt I was able to reproduce when dragging one road to the other. Indeed it does not seem yo be consistent. I will look into that.

Thanks again,
    Raoul

33. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

That is not standard behaviour. The demo package includes several example of imported models as Custom Connection prefabs, for example the railroad crossing. This does not happen with these presets. The indent and surrounding values on the road are the same as on the connection prefab. The white surfaces continue at the same relative positions to the road.

surfaces.jpg

On connection prefabs the default Indent / Surrounding values in "General Settings > Scene Settings" are used.

Is that involved? Different values for the connection prefab and the roads?

Depending on the connection angles there can be small differences because the surfaces will be generated diagonally away from the connections. But not so much as visible in your image and since this is terrain cell deformation related these differences should not really be visible in the terrain.

Otherwise, would it otherwise be possible to test this prefab?

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi raoul,

yes, my roads and the default values are different.

35. raoul

raoul

Looking at your image again, for the road on the right the Indent / Surrounding values do gradually adjust to match the connection prefab. Is that what you mean with inconsistentie? I will check that.

Thanks,
    Raoul

marcell123455 likes this.
  36. joanpescador

joanpescador

Hi Raoul.
    I'm working in a large scenario divided in many additive scenes. Those scenes are downloaded from addressables and instanciated when in a given distance from the player with SECTR asset. Mostly only terrain scenes with roads.
    I'm wondering how i'll connect the roads between scenes when start to build them.
    Is there some info about this? Is even possible?
    Maybe just put a connector on the edge of the scene and simply overlap one section of road over the other hoping for the best?
    Some other fancier option?
    Thanks,
    Joan

37. raoul

raoul

Hi Joan,

Yes, that can be done by inserting I Connectors on terrain tile edges where a road crosses. That way the road object is split in two road objects and the original road shape is preserved.

How will you create the road network with these different scenes? An option is to create the road network in a separate scene with the other scenes also loaded in the hierarchy.

Do you do coding? Because after the road network is created the process of inserting these I Connectors can be automated by looking at the bounding box of each road mesh and check if it crosses terrain tile edges. In that case the exact crosspoint can be calculated by going through the roads spline points which can be accessed through the scriptIng API. The scripting API can also be used to insert an I Connector at these crosspoint positions.

And once all that is done a final script can be used to split the road network and move road objects to the scene with the matching terrain

Thanks,
    Raoul

joanpescador likes this.
  38. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi raoul,

Guess what? I plan to use World streamer and could need such a script later too. Maybe it makes sense if you make this a feature of ER? ^^

Thanks

joanpescador likes this.
  39. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

It is on the list. But with this type of tool the “list” is literally endless and there is only so much time...

It is prioritized based on what users ask for and also, is it required or are there already ways to do this.

This question does come up now and then, and I guess it is something that can be done in between things. I will make a note.

Thanks,
    Raoul

joanpescador and marcell123455 like this.
  40. joanpescador

joanpescador

Cool. Thanks for quick answer.
    Yes, I have a persistent scene to put the road network. So, does the road network detect the road section once an additive section is instantiated in the hierarchy? Do you have to call it somehow from the road network?

Do you have any sample script where see the namespaces structure for the api and start playing with the scripting api?
    How roads spline point can detect the edge of the terrain?

Anyway, I will check de documentation.
    Thanks a lot.

41. joanpescador

joanpescador

Hi Marcel.
    World Streamer for any particular reason?
    I was looking at both WS and SECTR without reaching any conclusion.

42. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Joan,

I guess I bought it because it was on sale and simply understood the workflow in the tutorial video, but not because I thought it is somehow much better than SECTR.

When taking a closer look and watching the SECTR tutorial videos I would say it is more intuitive to setup, but it seems to stream all assets and the terrain of each scene it creates at once? World Streamer (2 to be precise) has layer streaming and it allows me to automatically generate low poly versions of terrains that are shown at far distance instead just disabling the far terrains how SECTR does it, correct me if I am wrong.

joanpescador likes this.
  43. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi @raoul,
    that would be helpful and I would appreciate such a sample script too ;)

thanks

raoul likes this.
  44. raoul

raoul

Hi Joan,

I am not entirely sure if I understand this correctly? The full road network is created and saved in this persistent scene you mentioned, is that correct?

After adding scenes to the hierarchy and selecting the road network object again, all terrains in these scenes will be collected. Road markers will snap to the terrain heights across scenes and switching to Build Mode will update all these terrains.

Code (csharp):
    1. // create a reference to the road network in the scene
    2. ERRoadNetwork roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork();
    4. // Get all the road objects
    5. ERRoad[] roads = roadNetwork.GetRoads();
    In the ERRoad class GetSplinePointsCenter() will return an array of Vector3 with all the points at the center of the road. So it will be a matter of finding the two points where the roads cross terrain tiles. This can be done for example by calculating the intersection point between two lines, the line between spline points and the edge of the terrain.

Thanks,
    Raoul

joanpescador likes this.
  45. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

Quick one: I am attempting to set the Corner Radius of a Flex Connector (beta 4) but I do not see these fields in the ERConnection, nor did I find a specific ERFlexConnector object, and the standard ERConnection object has a IsFlexConnector (just as I suspected, bravo!) So, is it possible?

Thanks

46. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

This is not yet possible through the scripting API. But default corner radius values for Flex Connectors can be set for each road type in General Settings > Road Types.

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Ok, no worries.

Sadly, I wish I had known about the defaults before I setup all the roads. Oh well.

48. BettoSan

BettoSan

The "Side Objects" that I place on the road, for example, a lamppost, are generated from a Prefab, but when "Finish" the project, these "Side Objects" are no longer linked to the Prefab.
    This is a problem because I want to make changes to this lamp post. It would be easy to just change the Prefab to update everything. But as it is not linked, I must now change it one by one, and there are hundreds.
    Is there a way to leave the "Side Object" linked to the prefab after finishing the project?

49. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

This was added in v3.3 beta 4.

Do you have many Flex Connectors in the scene that need an update? There are always workarounds, let me know

Thanks,
    Raoul

50. raoul

raoul

Hi ZekaTatu,

When using EasyRoads3D in the standard way, inside the Unity editor, the prefab itself is instantiated. That was implemented in v3.2. So after changing the prefab in the project folder all instances in the scene should update.

One thing to consider here is the use of the "Combine" option near the bottom in the Side Object Manager. When using this all instances will be combined in one mesh.

Thanks,
    Raoul