Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. PrimusThe3rd

PrimusThe3rd

Hi, again. :) I hope I'm not bothering you too much.
    1) What "road shoulder side object" in the demo scene you are reffering? I can't see any decals on the road surface. I don't mean adding a bike lane by the main road. I need main road to be a bike road (with bike icon as decal on road surface). (example is attached).
    2) Why Tunnel on one side of the entrance is "closed"...but from the other side and all the way through the tunnel everything is OK?
    Regards, Primoz

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  2. raoul

raoul

Ok, I thought you were referring to a bike lane texture.

For this you need a:
    1. Mesh type of side object
    2. Assign the prefab to the Source object slot.
    3. Set "Distance between Objects" to spawn the prefab every x units
    4. Set the "X Position" to control the position relative to the center of the road or the edge of the road (if "Dual Sided" is required)
    5. Set "Alignment" to "Path Normal"

Also. set Y Position to slightly above 0 or when using for example the "ER Road Transparency" shader, set the Offset value to slightly stronger then the offset on the road.

The Hd Roads package includes decal cracks and fixes that use a similar approach but with more random settings.

Thanks,
    Raoul

PrimusThe3rd likes this.
  3. raoul

raoul

I can't tell from an image, what are the terrain specs (heightmap resolution and size)? Does this always happen at any spot?

Also, the tunnels seems to cut quite far inside the hill? What is the original hill shape at this spot? Are you using the default settings for this tunnel example? Because the position of the auto generated tunnel relative to the terrain where height difference between the road and the terrain matches the height threshold set in the Side Object Manager, is customizable.

Tunnel hole creation is in Preview state, feedback is very much appreciated. The holes can also be cut manually with the terrain tools.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. Wolpertinger-Games

Wolpertinger-Games

Hi Raoul,
    we're currently trying to create Shape Side Objects along our road but want to extend them beyond the last road marker to partially cover the closed side of a custom T-crossing. We have a problem that the start & end offset do not allow us to extend the side object beyond the last marker of the road, it stops dead when reaching the end of the road. Do you have any advice to solve this?

upload_2021-6-3_20-1-18.png

keithsoulasa likes this.
  5. raoul

raoul

Hi Wolpertinger-Games,

Side objects are indeed generated within the spline shape start / end.

In think that is generally the logic you want but what you are trying to do is on the list.

But in this situation, will that actually work well? What is usually done when sidewalks are generated as side objects connecting to sidewalks sections on custom connections, is add a small slightly larger strip (with optionally a different sidewalk texture) to the custom connection. And have this strip also cover the sidewalk on the road a little bit.

Also, the sidewalk system upgrade for v3.3 will also work on Custom Connections. And just like in the current v3.2 sidewalks on roads will snap to sidewalks on intersections.

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. Wolpertinger-Games

Wolpertinger-Games

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. This help us already on another thing we wanted to try.

My problem is more related to this little dark stone wall along the underside of the sidewalk which we tried as both retaining wall and regular Shape Side Object. And we will have other cases like railings and cables that should follow the road and go over the T-crossing's flat side. We can always add these objects to the crossing of course, but it would be very convenient if side objects could span crossings or extend further than the road itself and into/across a crossing.

7. raoul

raoul

Yes, I see the focus is indeed on this dark wall side object. The same answer in my previous post applies.

And for sidewalks to work on custom connections new options will be added to the Custom Connection Editor window to clearly set road edges between connections. This data will also be used for side objects which willl be supported on intersections. This will probably already be the case somewhere in v3.2.x.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Wolpertinger-Games likes this.
  8. PrimusThe3rd

PrimusThe3rd

Hi,
    Raoul, the screenshot from the closed Tunnel entrance is from your Demo Scene. I'm still learning how to do one by myself.. :) Any video tutorial? Thanks., Primoz

9. raoul

raoul

Hi Primoz,

That is strange. I will check that. As mentioned, the hole creation part is in Preview state but it should work well on the two roads with tunnels in the demo scene.

Especially Tunnel placement is based on auto generated side objects. So this is primarily about getting the "rules" right for these tunnels in the Side Object Manager. This depends on the terrain heightmapscale and tunnel shape.

Then in the scene in Edit Mode with the original terrain and the main road network object selected, you can click the start or end of a tunnel. This will display some tunnel specific controls.

tunnel.jpg

In this case, for the end "Tunnel End Offset" can be used to change the position at the end of the tunnel relative to the terrain.

The new Introduction Tutorial briefly covers auto generated side objects. The description on youtube includes timestamps.

Side Object specific videos will be available soon.

Thanks,
    Raoul

PrimusThe3rd likes this.
  10. davidkhan12

davidkhan12

Hi mate , trying to make road with easyroad3d api using code below and work fine.

Code (CSharp):
    1. ERRoadNetwork roadNetwork;
    2.         ERRoad road;
    3. roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork();
    5.         ERRoadType roadType = new ERRoadType();
    6.         roadType.roadWidth = 6;
    7.         roadType.roadMaterial = Resources.Load("Materials/roads/Default Road") as Material;
    8.         // optional
    9.         roadType.layer = 1;
    10.         roadType.tag = "Untagged";
    12.         // create a new road
    13.         Vector3[] markers = new Vector3[4];
    14.         markers[0] = new Vector3(175, 0, 322);
    15.         markers[1] = new Vector3(53, 0, 332);
    16.         markers[2] = new Vector3(17, 0, 162);
    17.         markers[3] = new Vector3(5, 0, 30);
    19.         road = roadNetwork.CreateRoad("road 1", roadType, markers);
    20.         roadNetwork.BuildRoadNetwork();

my question is
    1. How to add sideobjects with api? currently trying but not work
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SideObject so = roadNetwork.GetSideObjectByName("Guard Rail Left v2");
    2. so.markerActive = true;
    3. road.SideObjectSetActive(so, true);
    2. I understand it is not opensource , but possible share code openstreetmap road generation part as there are losts need to fix?

11. PrimusThe3rd

PrimusThe3rd

How could I improve road view appearance?
    To narrow retain wall thickness? Can I overlay one texture from side to side?
    Path should be that narrow (Road width:2)
    Regards,
    Primoz

Attached Files:

12. raoul

raoul

Hi davidkhan12,

You asked the exact same question by email. I just replied to that. In short:

1. What is your road network object setup? It is recommended to use a road network object that is already in the scene. That way the constructor (line 3) will create a reference to the road network. By doing so you can setup road types and side objects in the Unity editor. All that needs to be done is activate the required side object for the specific road type in General Settings > Road Types. Then in your code use:

2. There are various OSM parsers available, have you looked at that?

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. raoul

raoul

Hi Primoz,

What have you tried so far? :)

It is recommended to play around with various settings so you know what the tool can do. In one of my previous replies I mentioned "X Position" near the top in "Control Settings" (and adjustable for individual road objects) for positioning side objects relative to the road. Is that what you are looking for here as well?

Also, when using a side object in the demo package you can review the setup. In this case you will it is a Shape Type of side object. The shape is visibible and editable in the Shape Editor window which can be opened from the Sude Object Manager.

What exactly do you mean with this?

Just in case, regarding narrow path widths like 2 and using retaining walls in hilly areas, please make sure that the terrains heightmapscale can handle it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. Chzero

Chzero

Hi, I've got an error when build project:
    I still need to use GLES2, is possible? how to fix?

Thanks

15. raoul

raoul

Hello Chzero,

That is a known issue for URP and Android builds. It has been brought up in general on the Unity forums. It is being looked into.

Which shaders are you using? Alternatively the URP Lit shader can be used.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. Chzero

Chzero

Oh, I see. Thanks.
    I am not using any shaders on the scene I only use Lit, maybe I just need to delete default materials on Resources folder.

17. raoul

raoul

in that case, yes. And these shaders are located in:

/Assets/EasyRoads3D/Shaders/

And, otherwise, which URP version do you use , if you are confortable editing shaders you could search for the specific line

LODDitheringTransition( IN.clipPos.xyz, unity_LODFade.x );

and remove these lines (about 3 or 4 I belief). That seems to work better on URP, GLES2. But this is being looked into because this issue was supposed to be already fixed in a previous URP version but still seems to happen.

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. PrimusThe3rd

PrimusThe3rd

Yes, I'm playing a lot with your tool lately. :) It's fun and I get a lot of new ideas what to use in my upcoming cycling simulator. :) I got another issue with Side Object Manager... see attached picture. It looks I'm locked and not able to use it. I can't add Mountain barrier object as well...
    Thanks,
    regards,
    Primoz

Attached Files:

19. raoul

raoul

Hi Primoz,

Yes, experimenting with all the options, knowing what they do helps getting new ideas.

Regarding the screenshot, that does not tell me much unfortunately and there is no history of this. I assume there are errors in the console? Are all other tabs responsive? Does this still happen after deselect / reselect the road network? After reopening the scene? What was the last thing you did?

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. Chzero

Chzero

Thanks Raoul, I have another question about connection dynamic prefabs I set the Layer "Road" on the prfab, but when I placed the connection to scene the Layer is "Default". Is my method to set layer directly from prefab correct? or there is any method to set layer for connection?

Attached Files:

21. raoul

raoul

Hi Chzero,

Connections are customizable so instances in the scene do not exactly work as unity prefabs in general.

So, that is a good point, I will make changes so the layer is preserved. It will be done for the next update.

Meanwhile if it is urgent, it is fairly easy to change this in the hierarchy, all connections are in the "Connection Objects" object under the main Road Network object. Selecting all of them and changing the layer will work.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Chzero likes this.
  22. PrimusThe3rd

PrimusThe3rd

Yes..all other tabs are available... Yes happen still after deselect/reselect procedure...even closing Unity doesn't help. Should I reinstall the asset? Thanks, Primoz

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  23. raoul

raoul

In my previous reply I mentioned this is unknown so I cannot tell at this stage what to do. But I doubt reinstalling the package will make a difference.

What about my question if there are errors in the console when opening the Side Object Manager tab? Because looking at the code it is unlikely that nothing appears at all in the Inspector unless there are errors.

Would it be possible to look at this? Since this is Inspector related and if this is a large scene then you can duplicate it, remove all the roads and intersections and other objects in the scene so only the road network object remains. Then check if the Side Object Manager tab is still empty. And in that case, create a package from the scene including dependencies and email it. The email is for example in the Readme in the EasyRoads3D road directory.

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. Seb88250

Seb88250

Hi,
    I have 3 questions on this asset :
    - Is it possible to generate roads at runtime, just like in Cities : Skylines ?
    - Can we have parking spots along some roads ?
    - Does the road create hole in the terrain (just like in this image, I believe this is called mesh carving) or are they above the terrain to avoid Z-fighting ?

25. raoul

raoul

Hi Seb88250,
    Roads can be created at runtime through the scripting API.

What type of parking spots do you need?

In general parking spots can be generated as side objects or as part of the road along the full road section by using custom road shapes.

[/QUOTE]

The Unity terrain object is heightmap based, what is visible in the image is unfortunately not possible. So the roads are on top of the terrain. The distance can be specified and there are also offset options in the EasyRoads3D shaders to handle z-fighting.

Thanks,
    Raoul

26. Zurkio

Zurkio

Hey Raoul,

I have the following issue:

When I import ER3D into my URP project, in Unity 2021.2.0a19, I get the following errorcode: upload_2021-6-6_20-21-2.png

Now ER3D is completly unusable. Am I doing something wrong when importing it? I have the most up to date version

Thanks!

27. Zurkio

Zurkio

Hey Raoul,

I was able to get rid of one error but when I create a Road Network I get this error:
    upload_2021-6-6_20-41-49.png

And this is what the Object looks like:
    upload_2021-6-6_20-42-10.png

Thanks!

28. raoul

raoul

Hello Zurkio,

We will check Unity 2021.2.0a19. But this is Unity 2019.2 alpha....

Also, after manually changing values in debug mode we cannot really give further support here on the forum. Please send the project to us, the email is in the readme in the EasyRoads3D root directory.

Thanks,
    Raoul

29. Zurkio

Zurkio

Hey Raoul,

This error happens even when I create a new project in a19, so a completely blank project. I went back all the way to 2021.1.10f1, that's the first version where it works without issues. I can try and migrate my project into f1 and see what I can rescue :)

Thanks anyway! :)

30. raoul

raoul

Hi Zurkio,

Please always backup the project both before upgrading, certainly when upgrading to alpha versions, and also when manually changing settings in debug mode.

Usually we monitor changes in alpha versions but it looks like this specific change in 2021.2.0 is already safe to update, so we will look into that.

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. PrimusThe3rd

PrimusThe3rd

Hi, please see attached screenshot of the error. Haven't reinstalled the asset yet.
    Other tags are responsive if I press no Side Object tag...after that others get locked as well..error log keeps counting... untill I click on other prefab in the Hierarchy...
    Regards, Primoz

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  32. raoul

raoul

Hi Primoz,

As mentioned, reinstalling the asset will probably not help.

The error points to LinkedSideObjectsGUI and Removing a linked side object, a side object that is linked to the currently selected side object and that will also be generated when this selected side object is active on a road (a recent v3.2 feature). Does that ring a bell with regard to last actions, adding removing linked side objects?

Anyway, I will send you an update to get mor info. Have you tried what I suggested regarding sending a package with the scene only including this road network object?

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. PrimusThe3rd

PrimusThe3rd

Hi,
    yes after removing Road Network and creating a new one... I've got it working as it should!
    Thanks for suggestions...
    Another question. :)
    I rise a road in build editor mode to get Retaining wall visible...but then after "Build Terrain" procedure... Reatining wall is hidden in the ground as terrain is modified and leveled with a road... Any workflow on this.
    Thanks,
    Primoz

Attached Files:

• wall.png
      wall.png
      File size:
      808.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  34. raoul

raoul

Yes, creating a new road network will work, do you still have the previous?

Regarding the wall question, it is all about settings and unfortunately I cannot see the settings from a screenshot.

What is different in the setup compared to what you did here https://forum.unity.com/threads/eas...-new-road-system.229327/page-191#post-7202269 ?

Is this an auto generated side object marked as a Retaining Wall in the Side Object Manager? Or is this done by manually activating the side object (possibly in the side object road settings)? This will override auto generated settings and terrain deformation. In that case terrain deformation can be controlled in the marker settings, the Left and Right Indent Alignment options.

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. PrimusThe3rd

PrimusThe3rd

36. raoul

raoul

The retaining wall example in the demo package does exactly that when using it with the default settings. All that should be done is activate the Retaining Wall side object for the specific road.

After pulling a marker up so the road height difference with the terrain is larger then the "Terrain Threshold height" set in the Side Object Manager, a retaining wall section is auto generated. This road is part of the demo scene.

retaining-wall-1.jpg

A road on a steep mountain, multiple retaining wall sections are detected and generated automatically. This road shape is part of the demo scene.

retaining-wall-2.jpg

When "Auto Generate" rules are set for a Side Object in the Side Object Manager, the specific side object will show that in the road settings. "Auto Generate" will be checked by default

retaining-wall-3.jpg

New Side Object video tutorials will follow soon, but all this can be reviewed in the free demo scene. The new Introduction tutorial video I mentioned in a previous communication with you also covers this briefly.

Thanks,
    Raoul

PrimusThe3rd likes this.
  37. PrimusThe3rd

PrimusThe3rd

Another question. :)
    Can a wall be generated above the road (not just below)? Can I do the wall as a seperate side object (not part of the road)?... Similar like seen in the tutorial for a wired fence...

Attached Files:

• wall.JPG
      wall.JPG
      File size:
      407.1 KB
      Views:
  38. Zurkio

Zurkio

Hey Raoul,

Really sorry that I have to post again!

I got ER working on a lower version of Unity and was able to save all my "progress", so everything is fine! :D

Now I have started to create my own Road Types but I have noticed that the "Left/Right" Indent is at 32 for the lowest setting, which is just too much for my terrain. Does it have anything to do with my terrain? It's quite hilly. I checked the road types from the Demo Project as well, they are also stuck above 32.
    upload_2021-6-8_20-13-5.png

Thank you so much for your help :)

39. raoul

raoul

Hi Primoz,

What is the exact question?

For wall side object creation please review the setup of the retaining wall in the Shape editor. You will see the top is positioned at y = 0 (the road position). So any shape above Y = 0 will appear above the road. Walls can also be done with procedural side object types, based on your own wall models. The demo package includes examples.

With respect to the image, the tricky part is the terrain. That is if the terrain should stop at the top of the wall. For retaining walls below the road, the terrain can still be present below the road. That is not the case for the scenario in your image and since the terrain is based on an heightmaps with specific cell sizes this is very terrain specific. Either the wall top part must be wide enough to cover full terrain cell sizes or the wall shape must include "mesh terrain" elements to snap the side object over x distance with the terrain.

Thanks,
    Raoul

40. raoul

raoul

Hi @Zurkio,

What are the terrain specs, especially the terrain size and heightmap resolution?

It seems the terrain in your scene is either quite large or it has a low heightmap resolution.

These indent values will be set according a required minimum based on the terrain cell size. That is done because it is impossible to add detail points to the terrain and to adjust the terrain to the road shape the nearest terrain points must be leveled at the same height as the road. The Indent values represent the distance over which will be search for these nearest terrain points.

Or do you have additional low resolution terrains in your scene that will not be adjusted? In that case, please selected these terrain objects and look for the ERTerrain component in the Inspector, there is an option "Excluse this terrain object".

Thanks,
    Raoul

41. Zurkio

Zurkio

Hey Raoul,

My Terrain is about 5500 meters x 3928 meters large and has a heightmap resolution 512. I have changed it up to 2049 and that got rid of the issue. Will play around with the heightmaps resolution as that seems to be the issue.

Thanks so much! :)

raoul likes this.
  42. joanpescador

joanpescador

Hi there.
    I have to do some minor terrain shaping after build the road network and I'm wondering how could I update the side objects position, relative to the new terrain position. Anyone?
    Thanks,
    Joan

43. raoul

raoul

Hi Joan,

What type of side object is it and what are the settings?

For example, the Fence side object example in the demo package is set to "Snap to Terrain". Road objects can be selected In Build Mode and in the main "Side Objects" section there is a "Refresh Side Object" button for each active side object. It is visible in the bottom image in this post https://forum.unity.com/threads/eas...-new-road-system.229327/page-192#post-7218298 further above. The fence will adjust to terrain changes after pressing this button, also when already in Build Mode.

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. joanpescador

joanpescador

Hi Raoul.
    Sorry for late reply. You know...
    The type of side object are mostly terrain side objects. Once I remove the terrain below, I don't want to go back to edit mode to avoid changes in terrain shape even with the keeping terrain option, but it results is a little weird looking. I don't know how to follow.
    Thanks,
    Joan

45. raoul

raoul

Hi Joan,

So these are side objects to add detail to the terrain right next to the road.

Looking at the shape of the road and what the terrain will look like in Build Mode, my first question would be, should this side object be active on this road section?

What is the setup of the side object? How do you want to use this specific side object?

It looks like the terrain mesh side object example in the v3.1 demo scene, the terrain on the right of the road in the below image.

mountainRoadShader.jpg

This is a Shape type of side object, the shape nodes near the road are at fixed positions relative to the road and the outer nodes snap to the terrain. This side object is intended for areas where the terrain is higher then the road. So it will not work well in situations like in your screenshot.

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. Wolpertinger-Games

Wolpertinger-Games

Hi Raoul,

is there a way to create lane markers like these in ER 3.2 and how would you go about it?

We're currently thinking multiple solutions:
    - create a variant of the road type with and without the markings to put between normal road and crossing
    - create side objects for the markings to overlay on the road
    - create custom crossings for these cases
    - build our own decal system on top of the ER lane data

Happy to hear how you would tackle this. Sorry if we overlooked a solution in your tutorials or manual.

47. raoul

raoul

Hi Wolpertinger-Games,

This is one of the things for which there will be built-in options in v3.3 which includes new ERLane road type features to set lane info, also for AI traffic systems.

In v3.2 this could indeed be done using decals placed with the side object system. If this is only required at the start / end where roads connect to crossings and you like to avoid having activate these side objects manually for the involved marker sections, then these respective side objects could be activates for the involved markers through and editor script using the scripting API. This script could also automatically run through a callback after road updates.

But ERLane is v3.3, so it sound like you are using the v3.3 beta? In that case you could indeed also create a decal system using the lane data. The v3.3 implementation of this will be done in a similar way.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Wolpertinger-Games likes this.
  48. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

What's the recommended way to get HDRP roads now ?

Edit : on HDRP Version 11.0.0

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  49. raoul

raoul

Hello keithsoulasa,

In general EasyRoads3D uses ordinary Unity game objects with a mesh renderer component. So you can use any HDRP material / shader you want.

But the current EasyRoads3D Pro package includes both URP and HDRP shader packages. And the free (if you have a copy of the pro version) demo package includes a new v3.2 demo scene with road types that will also upgrade to URP and HDRP.

The HD Roads Add On package already supported both URP and HDRP.

11.0.0 is supported.

Thanks,
    Raoul

JamesWjRose and keithsoulasa like this.
  50. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I'm getting pink textures for the roads even after installing the HDRP package
    upload_2021-6-19_8-40-45.png