Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. hauwing

hauwing

Thanks I figured that the start and end need to within a certain range with the terrain in order for auto-gen to work, just found in the setting. Will try to add side colliders separately.

2. raoul

raoul

Yes, that is correct. When the full road is higher above the terrain no bridge will be auto generated at the moment. Generally roads will not start / end higher above the ground. But this situation will be supported in the next update.

Thanks,
    Raoul

3. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

I have a small problem / maybe bug.

If you have a spline releated sideobject, and create a roadtype with that sideobject enabled and mark this roadtype as sideobject(so that all road settings get disabeled).

Now if this sideobject has "Snap To Terrain" disabled the sideobject (roadtype) is still affected by the "Road Smoothness" settings. Or I guess by the "Segment Smoothness" settings of each marker that are affecting the rotation and bumpiness.

I mean, shouln´t these options be disabled / have no effect, if the roadtype is marked as sideobject?.

Thanks

4. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

I see what you mean. Because I belief these bumpiness options can still be useful for side objects as welI, the main "problem" here is that these options are not displayed for this side object type of object.

In the next update this specific section in the Road Type Settings will be activated.

The default values are with then -0.02 and 0.02 range, so minimal. But for now, if you want to completely eliminate this then unmark "Is Side Object" that way the bumpiness controls will be enabled. Set the bumpiness values to 0 and mark the "road type" back to "Is Side Object".

Thanks,
    Raoul

marcell123455 likes this.
  5. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

sounds good! Well, I found a other small "problem" what is also related to the Random rotation/ bumpiness settings.
    Lets say you have a road with some rotation and bumpiness enabled. If this road has a autogenerated bridge or tunnel enabled, the road can interfer with the bridge/tunnel:

https://imgur.com/jfYAVKZ

Sure I could set the settings to 0 for each marker that has a bridge sideobject enabled or increase the space between the road and bridge/tunnel. But do you think you could add a small tickbox (or automatic behavior) that it sets these values automatically to 0, if there is a bridge/tunnel sideobject enabled at a marker?

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  6. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

Yes, these random bumpiness and rotation options will continue on bridge sections at the moment. Improvements on that is on the list, especially for random rotations. And indeed this can currently be controlled per marker section when this interferes with bridges.

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. joanpescador

joanpescador

Anybody knows what is this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCCQCCDCQ.OnEnable () (at <5973249baf2d461086c4306c3bea4a26>:0)

Unity 2020.2.6f1
    ER3.2

Trying to go back to edit terrain after build it. Unity editors died.
    There is no more info in the error.
    Thanks,
    Joan

PD
    When click back edit mode button appears also this:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase.OODCQQQQCD (System.Boolean restoreTerrain) (at <95d4a60352d34406885489f4fdf89c95>:0)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCCQCCDCQ.OnInspectorGUI () (at <5973249baf2d461086c4306c3bea4a26>:0)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass59_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <420b942f64794d4da66420603f126f7b>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

The option of keeping terrain deformation is disabled.

Seems something about the editor. Doesn't it?

PDPD
    When reinstall the asset, error reappear after asking for the side objects availables.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  8. raoul

raoul

Hello Joan,

The error by itself does not give explicit information what goes wrong other then indeed it happens when switching back to edit mode. And there are no known issues switching back to Edit Mode, so this is project / scene specific.

To get a better idea of what could be involved, what is the history of this project? Is this a new project with v3.2 imported? Or is this an existing ER project and was it upgraded to v3.2 and in this case, was this upgrade done with the road network in Build Mode? Or have you been working with v3.2 in Edit Mode in this scene before this happens.

I am not sure what you mean with the option of keeping terrain deformation bing disabled? You can always email the project so we can look at it and fix it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

@raoul does this do automatic interactions when the splines cross each other..?

10. raoul

raoul

Hi @SickaGamer,

Not necessarily when the splines cross each other, but when moving a marker control point over another spline or over another section of the same spline a blue circle will appear at the cross point. After releasing the mouse button the intersection will be inserted.

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. joanpescador

joanpescador

Hi Raoul.
    Yes it was an existing ER project and was it upgraded to v3.2. Probably upgraded when terrain was already built. Anyway, I done it again. I notice you, just in case. Thanks,

12. raoul

raoul

Hi Joan,

Does that mean the problem is resolved? If not, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. joanpescador

joanpescador

Hi Raoul. My problem is solved because I re-created a new road network. The issue itself was not resolved. It was quite stable in its behavior: As you said, if you try to edit a road network made with the previous version, the error appears. I'm pretty sure that, at the time of updating the asset version, the road network had the terrain built. Let me know if I can bring more info.
    btw.
    I really need to find a way to move editable road networks from one project to another, what would be the best aproach? Export Road Network Geometry? Prefabs? I can't quite see the right path.
    Thanks a lot.

14. raoul

raoul

Hi Joan,

I will see if the error can be recreated by upgrading a v3.1 project to v3.2 with the road network in Build Mode. In any case, this type of errors can be dealt with, no need to redo the road network.

Moving a road network from one project to another keeping the road network exactly as it is can be done through the following steps:

1. Export the scene with the road network. Optionally the scene can be duplicated first and none road network related objects can be removed

2. Export the scene including all dependencies to a Unity package and Import this package in the other project

3. Open both the target scene and this imported scene in the hierarchy

4. Drag the road network object from the original scene to the target scene. The original scene can be deleted afterwards.

The reason for this approach is that Unity stores dynamically generated mesh assets, the roads in this case, in the scene file. Because of that turning the road network into a prefab will not work. There are ways around this, but the steps above are less and it keeps the road network in exactly the same state which is ideally what you want.

Thanks,
    Raoul

joanpescador likes this.
  15. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

Again, I have a small usability problem.
    My goal is to have 2 (or more) different objects (like the sharp turn sign sideobject) generate besides the road and so they take turns.

Start/ End offsets of the sideobjects are setup to make it work, and it works if both are enabled per "Default Active Marker State". The problem is now when I set them to "Auto Generate" (what I actually need them to be) the spacing between these object gets messed up. Is there a way to fix the spacing with "Auto Generate"?

If not. Would you consider to add:

If sideobject Type: Mesh Object

change the "Source Object" Gameobject to a array. If lengh more than one, show more options to configure the amount of how many objects of the same type are spawned after each other before it spawnes the next source object in the array.?

Something like this. could solve my problem too, I guess.

Thanks

16. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

Perhaps I misunderstood the problem but it iseems you are looking to achieve a specific side object shape in a specific area. Auto generated side objects are side objects generated based on the terrain profile. It seems this is a different concept of what you are looking for, manually placed side objects at a specific position.

I cannot match this with the previous part. But the Mesh type of side object does have different options to spawn the Source Object. By default the prefab itself is spawned including all childs, but optionally the child objects can be spawned randomly or in sequence.

What exactly do you want to do? For example, if there are three different child objects A, B and C, and you want to spawn A 3 times, B 2 times and C 4 times, then you could duplicate these childs according these numbers. Or am I missing something here?

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

yes I guess you missunderstood me.

This is my goal:
    https://imgur.com/ZRdhVRJ

The red ones are one side object type (not one mesh) the blue ones too.
    I want to do it this way, because later I will add a blinking light. If they would be all one type, the light would be on or off for all objects. Thats the actual problem I try to avoid.

Thanks

18. marcell123455

marcell123455

To solve this problem I created two sideobjects but with different offsets to create a matching spacing. The problem with this solution is that when I mark them both as auto generate, this spacing gets messed up.

19. johan90joseph

johan90joseph

I am interested in making a road design like this, but I couldn't find any tutorial.
    If there is a good tutorial, i would like to purchase this asset.

20. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

I think I am still missing something. If these are two different objects why does the "Child Sequence" option not work for that on a single side object? The option I mentioned in my first post. That is how the below simple test is done on a single auto generated side object.

child-sequence.jpg

Thanks,
    Raoul

21. raoul

raoul

Hi johan90joseph,

This full example is part of the v3.1 scene in the demo package available here, https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/easyroads3d-demo-project-105045. This package is free if you own a copy of EasyRoads3D Pro. Tutorials, mainly side object related can be found here: https://easyroads3d.com/tutorials/race_track.php

Meanwhile with auto generated side objects available in v3.2 some of these race track elements can be simplified.

As the tutorials show, some of these elements are more advanced, for example the section with the bridge where the road goes down below the terrain height.

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. joanpescador

joanpescador

Thanks a lot.

raoul likes this.
  23. marcell123455

marcell123455

Ok, Wow, this was it! THANKS ;)

raoul likes this.
  24. joanpescador

joanpescador

Hi Raoul.
    Sorry to bother you again but something has come up about which I find no information in the forum. I have a 6 meters long blended conections between two widths of road. Seems that there are not road collider in those 6 meters long of conection. Is there anyway to avoid the car sinking, other then leveling the terrain?

25. raoul

raoul

Hi Joan,

Mesh colliders should be generated for all built-in connection types. And for side objects the collider options are displayed near the bottom in the Side Object Manager, this can be a Mesh Collider or a Box Collider.

How is this blended connection made? What type of connection is that? And did you check this object in the hierarchy? Is indeed no Collider component attached?

Thanks,
    Raoul

26. joanpescador

joanpescador

Some connections has collider and some not.
    The connection is made inserting an I connector to split a segment and changing the "Road Type" of the next segment.
    I can't remember how has been done those with no collider.

When I try to see in hierarchy, a connection with no collider, this errors appers. Not sure if related:
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad.AdjustPrefabNormals (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] roadInts, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] prefabInts, UnityEngine.Vector3[] normals, UnityEngine.GameObject prefab, UnityEngine.Vector3[] verts) (at <d7e067431d5a4396a4f9b458175c3194>:0)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad.OOOOODCDQQ (System.Boolean ignorePrefabAlignment, System.Boolean forceAutoRotate) (at <d7e067431d5a4396a4f9b458175c3194>:0)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCDCODOCOC.OQDQQCCCOD (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERIConnector target) (at <29b525122b7a4cfeafdf2eae9df2576b>:0)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCQDQOCCO.OnInspectorGUI () (at <29b525122b7a4cfeafdf2eae9df2576b>:0)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass59_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <c23044a1d79146ae9e09271e58031064>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)
    This time I get all ER new versions new installed before add markers.
    Seems then something I miss. So I'll keep digging. If I can reproduce connections with no collider, I will let you know.
    Thanks,

27. raoul

raoul

Ok, so this is I Connector related. The connector in the image clearly has a collider component attached so I assume this one is not causing collision issues?

I had a look at the error. If you want I can send a build that will handle the error with a more clear error message. The error could be related.

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. johan90joseph

johan90joseph

Thanks Raoul.
    Ignoring the bridge, how do we start creating such a track?

29. joanpescador

joanpescador

Sure. If you send me a build, I'll do all the tests I can. Thinking about it, the collider may be lost when, after the connector is created, I modify it, move it, or delete it to redo it in another way. I don't know exactly how. Once the collider is lost, even deleting the connector and creating another new, the collider doesn't appears anymore. info@groupb.live

30. raoul

raoul

Hi johan90joseph,

Are you referring to a specific part? The race track is a matter of adding marker control points to define the shape. By default the shape is based on a spline curve. But for race tracks like this you also want to use the circular control type and straight sections. This is all available in the marker section and explained in the new introduction video at 43:20

Please let me know if you have more specific questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. raoul

raoul

Thank you for the additional info. For roads a mesh collider will always be added when it does not exist. Perhaps this bit is missing for the I Connector and somehow the collider got removed. I will check that today and send an update to you so you can test.

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

I don´t know what to say. After changing some start / end offsets of some of my sideobjects (including lampposts), I saw that always the first or last lamppost was not correctly positioned on the x axis. So I tried updating road types,the sideobjects, en/disabeling the sideobject on roads. did not worked. Then I started changing the roadtype and switching it back. This made the last lamppost position correctly, so I did it for every road until I had one road that caused a error.

So i though just exit without saving and open the project up again. then when I click exit edit mode, because i saved at this state, it gives me errors of not beeing able to rebuild stuff. then when I try to change that one road / roadtype it gives my out of range exeptions, and when I am in scene view looking arround it is constantly spawning the lamppost objects and others that also appear in the errors.

This one road has a serious problem and deleting it does not solve the problems. also not rebuilding the road network, changing editor layout or whatever. I tried enough to say that there is something I cant fix.

Error Log:
    https://pastebin.com/kfaknqYq

I feel like I should send you the project...or any other ideas before doing that?

Thanks

33. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

The error points to rebuilding side objects. Is that related to the specific road you mentioned, can the error be isolated to a specific side object? This can be checked by deactivating side objects. If these are complex side objects activated per marker then please either backup the scene or make sure to not save it after deactivating side objects.

You can always send the project / scene. You have a complex road network , being able to look at a problem like this is probably the fastest way to solve it.

Which version are you using? There is a v3.2 build available for testing created earlier this week with some side object changes. So if you use v3.2 I can send it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  34. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

I use v3.2.b10. Also, one of the rebuild errors makes no sense. It says it cant rebuild sideobjects on the road "Tram". But my Tram road does not even have these sideobjects... however. I will compress and upload the project now and send it over per Email, since I am not near my PC in the next days.

I think this could be the problematic roads. The Tram object is only one in my scene
    https://imgur.com/ddpxzsp

Thanks

35. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

v3.2 was released last month, it is recommended to upgrade to the latest version. I see you also sent sent an email with a link to the project. I will have a look at it. Does it say it cannot rebuild side objects on that road or in general? Because when there are errors it could be there are still side objects in queue on other roads for updating and in your previous post, although not entirely clear, it seems you did a Road Network Refresh which could be related to this.

Anyway I will check the project and report back.

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. raoul

raoul

@marcell123455

I just had a look at the scene.

The road network in the scene is saved in Build Mode, so I switched back to Edit Mode. Then I did a Road Network Refresh. There were some warning about side objects that could not be updated.

Also indeed for Tram 001, side object "SP_Hydrant" could not be rebuild. I counted 6 objects with the name "Tram 001" and 4 of them do have this side object active.

Then I imported the latest v3.2.0f2 and did another road network refresh. There are no warnings. I changed quite a few roads, they all updated fine. I repeated the Road Network Refresh, it still completes with no errors or warnings.

The road network has become even larger, The refresh counts 125 roads, 421 side objects. I am not sure where to look. Can you guide me to the problem road?

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

Right, there are multiple tram objects because where I placed the actual tram object(the pillar thing with rails) I needed to place nodes on top of existing roads. When I then wanted to move a node of the tram object that was o top of a existing road, it selected the road not the tram object, and renamed the road where the markers were placed on to tram and a number.

I guess this is a other bug.

These roads make problems:
    https://imgur.com/ddpxzsp

For example change the road type of the 4L sidewalk road to 4l road, and change it back. If you then select a marker of this road, it gives errors if you move the camera in the scene view or move a marker of this road.

38. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

I only mentioned multiple Tram 001 objects because you got the error where side objects could not update for Tram 001 and you mentioned that this object doesn't even have that side object active. But there are Tram 001 objects with that side object, so I am not sure what the bug here is?

But yes, these roads in your new picture have side object errors, thank you.

I couldn't find out info about the error because after importing the latest build to get more debug info, the errors were no longer there. Also after doing what you suggested, doing the road type change. I just sent this build to you by email. Let's see if that fixes it on your end as well.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

About the tram001 objects: yes you are totally right, there are roads named tram001 and they have the mentioned sideobjects. The names of these roads were changed by a bug from the initial road type name to tram 001 because where I placed my tram object, I had to place nodes of this object onto these existing roads. Once I wanted to select a node of my tram object that was ontop of a existing road, it selected the node but not my tram object. Instead it selected the road beneath, the node, and renamed the road to the road type of my node. In this case Tram. Maybe this caused this mess?

If it's not fixed in the newer version, you should be able to recreate this bug by creating a object of the road type Tram, place nodes ontop of a existing road, unselect and reselect a node that was placed on top of the road and see the naming of this road change to tram+numbers.

Thanks

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  40. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

Yes, we are talking about two different things. I guess you noticed the Tram 001 renaming of other objects only after my post here.

The renaming is related to a recently added feature. Previously roads could only be selected by pressing a marker. Now roads can also be selected by clicking the road mesh (this currently works for road meshes only, not side object meshes), the nearest marker will be selected.

This can interfere when pressing a marker of an object that is at the same position as the road mesh of another object. And in your scene indeed the tram markers are at the road height. So when selecting the Tram marker, the road will actually be selected (this will be fixed). The renaming is related to that. Road names can be set in the Inspector. When the game object name does not match the name in the Inspector, the game object name will be updated. That is what happens with the tram and road object. A marker of object A is selected and object B is also clicked at the same time, object B is renamed to the Inspector name of object A which obviously should not happen. That will be fixed too.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  41. raoul

raoul

@marcell123455,

This selection issue for road markers on top of other road meshes is fixed. And that by itself indeed also fixed the renaming of the other object. An update will be available on the asset store next week.

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. Felixsg

Felixsg

Anyone know why this happen? 2021-05-14 (3).png

43. raoul

raoul

Hi felixsq,

These surfaces are Scene View related. Visibility of these surfaces can be controlled through the space bar and the "highlight" options in General Settings > Scene Settings (in the EasyRoads3D Inspector toolbar)

These surfaces represent how the terrain will be adjusted. They are quite large in your scene. The reason for that is probably the specs of your terrain. It looks like it either is quite a large terrain or a very low heightmap resolution is used. What is the terrain size and what is the heightmap resolution?

In order to adjust the terrain to the road in the best possible way, the nearest terrain points just outside the road edges must be leveled at the terrain height. As a result a Minimum Indent value is set, the value is also visible in General Settings > Scene Settings. What is this value?

But there seem to be areas with more detail in the terrain. Can you lower these Indent values in the Inspector? In that case the marker indent values of the specific road can also be lowered.

A standard Unity terrain is 1000x1000, heightmap resolution 513x513.

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. Felixsg

Felixsg

I fix when turn off a secundary terrain with very low resolution and then start the work with only the primary terrain at more resolution(i think the max unity permit)

raoul likes this.
  45. raoul

raoul

Glad to hear you resolved that. Also, if you select the low resolution terrain you will see a ER Terrain component in the Inspector with the option "Exclude this terrain object". It will not be used by EasyRoads3D.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  46. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

I tested now the version you send me and it solves the can´t rebuild errors. I can also swap the road type and move nodes without getting errors.

Once I pull a road out of a node from a connection with the following road types, or create a new road with roadtype "4L_Road_Sidewalk" or "2L_Road_Sidewalk", Index out of bounds errors appear. I also noticed that if you select a road and scroll to the side objects tab and expand the settings of a side object that it has two "X Position" settings.

I think one or multiple sideobjects that are enabled on these road types have a problem. I didn´t tested all road types but it does not happen on "4L_Road" or "4L_Road_Sidewalk_Bridge".

So I would say the sideobjects "SP_Streetlamp_Dualside", "SP_Hydrant", "SP_Busstop", "Simple Sidewalk_L", "Simple Sidewalk_R" and Road types "4L_Road_Sidewalk", "2L_Road_Sidewalk" are suspicious...

maybe you could check this in my project?

Thanks

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  47. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

Good to hear the issues you posted last week are indeed resolved the latest builds.

The project you sent does not seem to include the connection prefabs. So I cannot see a quick reference which crossing connections use the two road types "4L_Road_Sidewalk" "2L_Road_Sidewalk"". I disconnected a "4L_Road_Sidewalk" from a 4L_2L_X_SW_ER connection, pulling out a new road was successful, it had the "4L_Road_Sidewalk" road type assigned. So I am not sure how I can recreate the issue when pulling out new roads from a crossing. Did you test with connections already in scene? Which connections in that case?

Creating new roads based on these two road types works well, see below. All side objects are generated. I see that apart from the sidewalks no actual meshes are spawned and these are all side objects with only scripts attached which I assume will generate the side object at some point? In any case, there are no errors.

marcell_so.jpg

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

I checked it again and placed my roads at the same location as you did in your screenshot and indeed, no errors. If I place them on the terrain where the city is, I get the errors again. The terrains seems to have something to do with the errors.

My connection prefabs are in Assets / _Connections_

And yes. the actual props get spawned / positioned using my pooling system.

Thanks

49. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

I placed a connection prefab in an area surrounded by other roads and pulled out 4 roads, all "2L_Road_Sidewalk". Still no errors.

marcell.jpg

What are the exact steps to reproduce this and at which location?

Thanks,
    Raoul

50. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

I simply go back to edit mode (because it was saved in build mode), create a "4L_Road_Sidewalk" or "2L_Road_Sidewalk" road at the location in this image, and errors appear. they also apper when i pull them out of a connection.

Maybe try a "4L_Road_Sidewalk" first?

It was also possible for me to place roads one time without errors...this is very odd.

If you created a 4L_Road_Sidewalk road, placed some nodes but didn´t get any errors, try deleting this object and create a new one.

Also try more than two nodes per road.

Editor log:
    https://pastebin.com/sgpqSDwA

Thanks

Last edited: May 17, 2021