Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Yes, sorry some v3.3 features like lane data required for traffic is indeed not active in the current v3.2 demo package version.

Working on URP and HDRP packages at the moment, after that a new v3.3 beta will be prepared. Have you tried the current v3.3 alpha with iTS? I am pretty certain Jose Garrido, the developer of iTS used this version for the integration. I can also send you the most recent v3.3.0a2.t10 build when the version on our website does not work well with iTS.

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. Ward101

Ward101

Thank's for your offer! Not needed by now.
    We're deploying some iTS routes by hand by now. We're just testing.

3. raoul

raoul

Ok, in that case a v3.3 beta update will be available later next week.

Thanks,
    Raoul

JamesWjRose likes this.
  4. nicolasbluj

nicolasbluj

Hello Raoul,

After further testing I was able to consistently reproduce the following bugs:

When using auto generation on "barrier" side meshes, none of the parameters seems to work. The barrier just spawns in 1 continuous stroke regardless of its auto generation parameters. Also: I was unable to mirror auto generated props, the "double sided" option on side meshes does not work with auto generation.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif

When trying to blend 1 road into another using your "dual road blend" shader. The parameters do work; I am able to change the blend distance and this updates immediately in the scene, but its the shader that just shows up as a pink color instead of producing the intended blended effect. Screenshot_3.jpg Screenshot_2.jpg

When spawning a road out of a custom intersection, there will always be 1 road that completely glitches out when rotating or moving the intersection. the road object will be permanently broken until you delete and re make it.

I remade and tweaked the custom intersection several times, this happens with all shapes and any amount of connections. I also double checked that I assigned the connections in a clock-wise manner as instructed in the custom intersection interface.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

There are some inconsistencies with how the markers or road segments sample height height from the terrain as demonstrated in the gif below. This makes the bridge placement unpredictable when transitioning to the regular road near the ground.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

1 more bug will be demonstrated in an answer as the max number of files in this forum is 5

5. nicolasbluj

nicolasbluj

The last bug I was consistently able to reproduce was that at some angles, The lantern "prop" side meshes bugged out and spawned way off to the side of the road. The "dual side" option was ticked in this case.
    ezgif.com-gif-maker (4).gif

6. raoul

raoul

Hello nicolasbluj,

Thank you for ther feedback.

In the image "Update Scene Instances" is used. This indeed does not work well yet with auto generated side objects because. Please try moving a marker a little bit. This will refresh the road data which is required for auto generated side objects.

v3.2 has been in beta for quite some time. Have you seen the beta demo scenes and the new v3.2 demo scene. Side objects like guardrails and retaining walls are setup as "Dual Sided" and they are generated on both sides of the roads.

So the question is, why does this not happen on your end. If the side object spawns over the full track, then the first thing I would check is the active state on markers. Is it perhaps also active on all markers of that side. If so, then what is the history of this side object regarding that? Was it always auto generated or has it also been active on all markers?

Which packages do you have imported? I have a project open here and I just quickly tested the "ER Dual Road Blend" shader. There are no shader errors, the material is not pink.

dual-blend-shader.jpg

This type of transitions are also used in the v3.1 demo scene. Have you seen that, does this material also appear in pink?

There are no known issues with this, not from our own experience and not reported, neither in this thread. So the question is why does this happen on your end?

Does the generated prefab use the original scaling? This is the Custom Connection system, connection prefabs based on your own models. Can you send this intersection model to us so we can test it?

The height difference between the road and the terrain is calculated in the same way for each spline point. It is very hard to see in the gif what goes wrong.

When I asked if you can consitently reproduce an issue, the idea behaind that was to pass the information so we can recreate it. What exactly do I have to do and what should be noticeable regarding this last issue?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  7. raoul

raoul

For this too, side objects not following the road has not been reported for a long time. I can record a 1 hour video of a road with lampposts activated on both sides, moving markers around in all directions and both the road and lampposts updating correctly. Can you recreate this with lampposts in the demo scene?

It is impossible to fix a situation by watching a gif when the issue cannot be reproduced. The question is why does this happen on your end, what is the exact setup of the lantern side object and in which exact situation does this happen? Can you send this scene by email with the roads in the specific state so we can see what happens?

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Great work my dear

raoul likes this.
  9. hauwing

hauwing

hello, is there any target date for URP support? thanks.

10. raoul

raoul

Hi hauwing,

Provisional URP shaders were already available, but this is being worked on at this moment. The final URP shaders will be compiled today. Then it is a matter of updating the materials in the new v3.2 Pro and demo packages. Both URP and HDRP material packages should be available next week.

If you need the shaders urgently then we can already send them later today.

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. hauwing

hauwing

Thanks, I will wait for the official package next week.

raoul likes this.
  12. unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

Hi everybody,

Is it not possible to use your own basic road mesh? Im struggling to find any information about this, if you could point out where i can find this in the documentation it would be fine for me.

13. raoul

raoul

Hi unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ,

What does your mesh look like?

Roads are generated based on a shape, the default road road shape has two nodes, one on the left and one on the right. But that is customizable.

Are crossings involved? If not, then the procedural side object type can be used to generate the road based on a mesh input. Create a new side object, select the "Procedural Mesh Object" as the side object type and drop your mesh in the "Source Object" slot.

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

Hi Raoul,

you can see my road in the picture on this post. It is designed to have a layered lit material and crossings are involved. Basically i want a normal road object, my own mesh, specialy UV unwrapped so it tiles, so i can make quickly good looking roads. Crossings need to be implemented too, but i first wanted to implement my own road. Thats where im struggling. Basically i want this mesh as a road base.
    upload_2021-4-21_10-33-3.png
    I would then use the layered lit shader to add variation for damage or a green base material for the overgrow by plants look.
    upload_2021-4-21_10-35-24.png

15. raoul

raoul

Hi,

What vertex data does the mesh have?

As mentioned the Procedural side object type can generate this preserving all mesh data. The problem with meshes is that they can have any shape which makes integrating them with crossings, having them snap to crossing connections, more complex, that is why they are not yet supported as roads. You could test this though by generating the road as a side object and removing the road mesh generated by the tool.

Looking at the mesh in the image, the shape itself can be created using the custom connection system in the current version. You can also make your own crossing connection prefabs, that way the custom road shape will connect. But it depends on the required mesh data (vertex colors for example?) whether that will work.

And this can done built-in in v3.3 which supports creating custom road shapes in the road type section. Alpha / beta builds are available. These custom road shapes are supported by built-in crossings like the Flex Connector in v3.3.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

It just has Vertex Colors, i tested it with normal roads, just applied another shader and material. You can use Polybrush to paint colors after that. The thing i think is the way forward is a workflow like this:

I dont know how you use uvs and vertex color, but i designed my streets with uvs in a way they would tile, with materials that would tile. Then i simply paint over the parts where i want certain features.

Where are v3.3 builds available, would love to try them out, im currently in a phase in my game where im starting to make Envirement Prototypes to see if the tools work.

17. raoul

raoul

The UE4 video shows at 2:56 that vertex painting is used. This is also something on the list, but there are already various vertex paint solutions available, also free and it seems you already have a solutions for that. Adding vertex colors could also be coded and done automatically through callbacks after road changes.

Depending on the render pipeline all that is additionally needed is a shader that uses this data. New shaders, also for URP and HDRP are about ready for release. A shader that uses the vertex data that can do somethjing like in the video, can be included. There are already some similar shaders blending textures by a mask instead of vertex color.

And your specific road shape can be done in v3.3. The alpha, soon beta, is available on our website, https://easyroads3d.com/v3alpha.php . As mentioned this can also be done in the current version through the Custom Connection Prefab system.

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

Where can i find a Serial
    Im already using hdrp, but thanks. Im using the layered lit shader with polybrush, it has only 4 material slots, but it should work just fine and saves performace. Just received the email for the alpha, im going to try it out today :)

19. raoul

raoul

Yes, the HDRP layered lit shader :) that is why I mentioned the render pipeline. The latest v3.3 beta with these road type shape options is actually also part of the demo project on the asset store, https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/easyroads3d-demo-project-105045 . It is free if you have an EasyRoads3D Pro license. The version on our website will soon be updated.

Thanks,
    Raoul.

20. Enigma229

Enigma229

Thinking of buying this. Currently using the HDRP in Unity 2019.4.8f1.

Does this support HDRP?

21. raoul

raoul

Hi Enigma229,

URP and HDRP is material / shader related. You are in full control regarding this.

In any case today an update will be submitted to the Asset Store with new v3.2 URP and HDRP packages supporting the shaders and materials that come with the tool and the demo package. The shaders can already be send if they are urgently needed.

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. Enigma229

Enigma229

Thanks. Purchased it. Is there a step by step tutorial on how to use it for the first time?

23. Enigma229

Enigma229

Disregard. I found your YouTube channel. :)

24. raoul

raoul

Ah ok, I was just writing a reply here :), the youtube channel indeed includes a new v3.2 Introduction tutoria covering the main workflow. More will follow.

Meanwhile HDRP related, v3.2.0f2 including new URP and HDRP packages is now available on our website https://www.easyroads3d.com/, these are the road shaders only.

The Asset Store packages will be uploaded today as well. This also includes this free (if you have a Pro license) demo package https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/easyroads3d-demo-project-105045 which will include new v3.2 demo scene HDRP material packages.

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. Enigma229

Enigma229

Thanks Raoul for the info. Is the v.3.2.0f2 available in the downloads section of your site? It asks for the serial number. Is this the invoice/order number you require?

26. raoul

raoul

Yes, c3.2.0f2 is available in the downloads section. Can send the invoice number by email, the email is in the Readme file in the EasyRoads3D root directory, you will receive a key for the downloads page.

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. Enigma229

Enigma229

If you are going to update to this version in the Unity Store today, I can just wait.

28. raoul

raoul

Both the Pro and Demo packages have been uploaded, some final SRP auto import tests after last minute changes and then the package update will be submitted. Then the Asset Store team has to approve it, this is usually done within one or two days, but it can take longer. That is why I mentioned that the HDRP shaders are already available in the v3.2.0f2 update on our website.

Thanks,
    Raoul

29. hauwing

hauwing

Hi, I am using URP 11, just downloaded the latest v3.2.0f2 and the demo package from the asset store, did run the SRP Support Packages URP_7_3_1 and DEMO_URP_7_3_1 (although I am using URP 11), and then run the demo scene v3.2+, got the following error, and looks like not all material are converted to URP.

Did I miss anything? thanks.

upload_2021-4-29_22-10-32.png

30. Enigma229

Enigma229

Hi Raoul, I just updated Easy Roads on the asset store this morning and my road is still pink. Am I missing a setting or something?

31. raoul

raoul

Hi hauwing,

The 7_3_1 package should work well in URP 11. Looking at the roads and side object wall, it seems that is indeed the case.

There will also be SRP notes in the EasyRoads3D root directory. In this case, since the demo package is imported "SRP Demo Package Notes". This file includes SRP info.

To keep the file size small only the required materials are included, all road materials because they use custom shaders and some side objects that use custom shaders. All other materials in the scene are auto upgradable through the Unity SRP upgrade option.

Also the original demo scene includes water related assets, the large pink plane visible in the left Scene View window in your screenshot. It is not related to EasyRoads3D. Please remove these objects if you want to check the road network in the demo scene in an URP project.

This info is the readme.

Regarding any console errors / warnings, that is not usual after package upgrades. So the main question here is are they critical, can you clear the console, do errors remain? And do errors still appear after restarting the scene or project?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  32. raoul

raoul

Hi Enigma229,

Did you see HDRP import info in the console after importing the update? What did it say?

The SRP packages are located in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/ SRP Support Packages/

The HDRP_7_3_1 packages should work for your Unity 2019.4.8f1 project. They should auto import, but you can try reimporting them. To be sure, which HDRP version are you using?

In case the roads are still pink, the next step would be, select a road and look at the material, is a shader assigned?

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. Enigma229

Enigma229

Ah I see those packages now. I'm using 7.5.1 HDRP.

I also removed Easy Roads and reimported the updated one from the Asset Store. Is 7.5.1 HDRP not compatible with the update? I'm a newbie to HDRP so I'm not sure about these things.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  34. Enigma229

Enigma229

I installed the HDRP_7_3_1 package and created a new secondary road and this is what I get: upload_2021-4-29_9-33-24.png

35. raoul

raoul

Not all versions were tested, but for the 7_3_1 shaders changes were required from HDRP v10.3.2 and up so I assume the 7_3_1 shaders should work well in HDRP v7.5.1.

But your screenshot shows that no shader is assigned to the "Secondary Road" material. This road should have the "EasyRoads3D/ER Road" shader assigned. You can change that manually, does that work?

The next thing is to figure out what the status is in your project. Does this happen for all road types? Note that there are still v3.1 demo scene assets in the package. The v3.1 assets are not fully optimized for URP and HDRP. v3.2 road types are "Primary Road", "Motorway 2x2", "Dirt Path Sans", "Dirt Path Gravel", "Tertiary Road Blend", "Motorway".

General Settings > Road Types. When selecting these road types, the material slot will point to the material location in the project folder, "/Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/Materials/Roads/". Do all these materials have no shaders assigned?

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. Enigma229

Enigma229

Manually added it and now it looks like it works:
    upload_2021-4-29_10-44-45.png

37. Enigma229

Enigma229

I opened up that folder and all the materials have the shader 'Hidden/Internal/ErrorShader"

The ER shader was invisible because the surface type was set to Transparent and after changing to Opaque it showed up (in the screenshot above).

Is the ER shader the one to use for Dirt/Gravel Path?

38. raoul

raoul

"Transparent" for Surface Type should also work. The below screenshot is taken from a HDRP 10.3.2 test project.

10.3.2.jpg

I will check Unity 2019.4.8f1 HDRP v7.5.1

For dirt type of tracks you want to use the "/EasyRoads3D/ER Dirt Road Fade In / Out" shader. It will blend in the road with the terrain at the start / end according the "Fade In - Out Distance" that can be set for the respective markers.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. hauwing

hauwing

Thanks Raoul,

I was able to remove the error after removing the water objects, but looks like I can see through the small track from the flyover. Seems updating the [Primary Road] material render queue to From Shader 3000 can resolve it, any thoughts?

Also a side question, is there any way to procedurally or manually paint some randomness to the roads like cracks or dirt? Thanks.
    upload_2021-4-30_11-59-45.png

40. raoul

raoul

Hi hauwing,

In your post yesterday you mentioned URP 11. This is what I see right after importing the demo package in URP 11.0.0 Unity 2021.1.1.

urp11.jpg

I can only recreate what is visible in your image when selecting "Geometry" with any value. What were the original Render Queue settings on you end?

Both the "ER Road Detail" and "ER Road Mask Blend" shaders can be used to add variation to the road and break the tiling pattern.

The "ER Road Detail" is shader is actually not used in the v3.2 scene, I will add an example. It is used in the previous in the older v3.1 scene on the secondary lifted road in the center of the scene. Note that this older v3.1 scene is not tested in URP / HDRP projects.

The "ER Road Mask Blend" shader is used on the road in the hilly area with the tunnels and the retaining walls in the centre of the scene, the road in your first post yesterday.

Dirt on road edges can be added with dirt strips as side objects. The HD Roads package includes examples of this. More shaders are being developed for v3.3, shaders for the v3.3 lane options. Dirt options will also be added to these shaders.

Thanks,
    Raoul

41. hauwing

hauwing

Hi Raoul, the original render queue is Alpha Test 2450. What is the correct expected value?

42. raoul

raoul

That should be fine.

urp11.jpg

The dirt track below is also set to AlphaTest 2450, is that right?

Thanks,
    Raoul

43. hauwing

hauwing

Yes the dirt track is also Alpha Test 2450. I made a video below showing what I am seeing in play mode (actually it happens in the scene view on the left too). This is just a fresh URP 11 project on 2021.1.4f1. Please look at the intersection of the main fly over and the dirt track below. The see through issue happens when the camera is within certain range. Also wait until the end of the video showing another case in the tunnel. Changing the primary road material shader to "From Shader" will eliminate the issue. Do I need to setup any thing in the URP rendering setting? Thanks.

44. raoul

raoul

So this happens when the cam is further away. I don't see this happening in the standard 3D project with these shader settings I am looking at at the moment. I don't know if this is an issue with URP, but if using "From Shader" solves it, why not use that?

I will check the current URP materials settings for this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  45. hauwing

hauwing

Thanks, apart from rendering, I found that some road type (eg. Motorway 2X2) cannot have bridge auto-generated, instead I need to set the marker side object setting to active, seems I can't find any setting related to this.

Also is there any way to add a side collider for the bridge? I think I just need some low poly collider instead of using the bridge mesh as the mesh collider. thanks.

46. raoul

raoul

In what way can no bridges be auto generated for the "Motorway 2 x 2" road type? This road type is used near the coast, it includes a section with an auto generated bridge near the center of the terrain. And auto generated side objects is not road type specific. So is this really road type related? What is the terrain profile? Does the same happen when adding a similar road somewhere else and raise the markers higher above the ground, just as a quick test?

Regarding colliders ,bridge shapes makes this more problematic, simply using the box collider option near the bottom in the Side Objects Manager will not work in this case. Depending on the bridge type, what you could try is adding additional side objects at the left and right side of the bridge and use box colliders for these side objects. When the bridge is auto generated then these additional side objects can be added to the list of other side objects linked to this bridge side object. That way these collider side objects will also be auto generated. But since only the colliders are required you want to remove or disable the MeshRenderer component of these new side objects. This is something that can be done automatically through code using callbacks after changes to these side objects.

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. aganm

aganm

Is there a way to have road connections follow terrain height just like I can with normal roads? When I place them I always have to adjust their height manually because they don't spawn correctly on the terrain.

48. raoul

raoul

Hi aganm,

Connection objecys can be rotated with the Unity rotation tool (the E key). That way they can be aligned with the terrain.

Alternatively connection objects can also be spawned and attached directly to roads when the road marker is selected. The connection object will snap to the road and align with the road. So if the road is already aligned with the terrain, the connection object will be aligned correctly as well.

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. aganm

aganm

Thanks. Another question: I'm making cars in my game and I need AI to be able to drive on the roads. How can I fetch road data from EasyRoads3D such that my AI drivers can drive along them? This may be out of this asset's scope but how would I do pathfinding on the roads and how would I tell my AI to drive on the right side of the road?

50. raoul

raoul

The main EasyRoads3D Pro package includes a runtime scene example. A road is created at runtime and afterwards an object follows the road. You could have a look at that script.

In v3.3 more detailed road data is available. V3.3 includes the option to set lane info for road types, lane count and lane positions on the road, etc. Lane data will be generated accordingly also on crossings. The v3.3 beta available on our website also includes a simple demo scene and an AI script using this data. And there are already various traffic systems on the Asset Store using the v3.3 data.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.