Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Funtyx

Funtyx

In EasyRoads3D Demo 1.7, some materials are not on the roads, I have already deleted all the packages and re-installed them several times.

Here are the roads in which there are no materials when choosing:
    Side Object General, Fence, Bridge 01 Two Lane, Residential Road

What materials need to be installed manually and when will there be a new update?

upload_2021-2-21_21-19-49.png

2. raoul

raoul

Hi Funtyx,

The Fence "road type" is not really a road type. It is an example of how other objects like fences can be generated in the scene, not involving roads. This fence is based on the Fence side object. Do you mean the Fence appears in pink as a reult of no materials being assigned?

Regarding the other two road types. These are not current v3.1 demo package road types. Is this perhaps related to the older v3.0 beta package which is still included as a separate package. Do you have this package imported as well? The main reason for that package still being there is to provide more example assets like motorway overpasses. The "Bridge 01 Two Lane" is related to that. Matching materials should be available in the materials folder.

Perhaps the issue with the fence is also related to this? Does the fence work well with only the main demo package imported?

In any case, v3.2 will be released in the next couple of weeks. It includes a new demo scene so this package will be updated. There will be new assets, also for motorways. This older v3.0 beta package will not be part of it anymore.

Thanks,
    Raoul

3. newguy123

newguy123

Presales Question:

1) Does EasyRoadsPro and the HD extension only work on Unity Terrain? Can it also work on Gaia or World Composer?

2) This question is for somebody that has both used EasyRoadsPro and the new Gena Pro. How does the 2 road systems compare?

3) Is there a Discord for EasyRoadsPro?

4. raoul

raoul

Hi newguy123,

1) The end result of both Gaia and World Composer is a Unity terrain object. EasyRoads3D works well with both tools.

3) Not at the moment, at the moment the focus is especially on new features also based on the response we get from the survey on our website https://easyroads3d.com/survey.php . When many users request this we will start a channel. In any case we do repond fast to your questions both here and by email :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

5. newguy123

newguy123

Yes that was pretty fast, thanks!

Another presales question or 2 then!

1) I may need to do a project, covering a real world map of about 10km X 10km. Can EasyRoads auto import the existing real world road system in my selected area?

2) Can I manually add the newly proposes roads of my new development, into the existing road system that was hopefully auto downloaded and created?

3) If its possible to automatically download/create roads from existing real world data, how do I handle the actual terrain for that around the roads? Any specific terrain tool come to mind that will let me download and create real world terrain?

6. raoul

raoul

1) Built-in OSM and KML data files are supported. Crossings are not yet auto inserted. The road data can be imported relatively to the terrain bounds. Or terrain matching latitude and longitude coordinates can be set, that way the road data can be parsed exactly relative to these coordinates. The scripting API can also be used to generate roads from data. And the scripting API does include methods to insert available crossings in the project.

2) Auto generated roads from data are fully editable and new roads can be added.

3) I think this is already answered in 1) OSM , https://www.openstreetmap.org/ . Are you familiar with this website? It is fairly simple. Zoom in to your area. Press the blue Export button at the top. Map data data will appear on the left with another Export button. This button generates the osm file ready to import into Unity. KML data files are also supported.

When working with real world road data you usually also want to use real world terrain DEM material, digital elevation data. That is what we do, LiDAR high resolution data in particular. The new v3.2 demo scene that will be out very soon is based on that as well. There are tools on the asset store that can generate real world terrains but I am not familiar with them, I don't know what data they use and it highly depends on the detail you need. As mentioned, we use LiDAR data, there are many resources for that both free and commercial. This data is converted into the Floatgrid format in an external tool like Globalmapper, there are also free tools that can do that. Then we have a script, something like this, that generated the Unity terrain from that inside Unity itself. By using this DEM data you know the latitude and longitude coordinates of the terrain which can then be entered like mentioned above in 1) so the roads will be generated accordingly.

So as far as I know there are still two options, the easy way right inside Unity through another asset tool, perhaps resulting in a less detailed terrain. The harder option in a way that you have to get familiar with the steps to take. But you will have full control over the terrain detail.

Thanks,
    Raoul

newguy123 likes this.
  7. sanayakhaan777

sanayakhaan777

8. raoul

raoul

Hi sanayakhaan777,

Do you mean you are also interested in a video showing this? Generationg bridges is simplified in v3.2 which will be available very soon. The beta is already located in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Beta Release/

In v3.2 bridges can be generated based on rules. Depending on the height difference between the road and the terrain a bridge will auto generated. The v3.2 beta includes a demo scene with examples of this. Just play around moving markers higher above the ground, a bridge will appear at some point. This Threshold height can be set in the Side Object Manager.

And new tutorial videos will follow after the v3.2 release. But the below video shows what I wrote above, the bridge part starts near 1.40. All that was done here is activate the bridge side object for this specific road, after that bridges are created based on the road shape relative to the terrain.

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. Funtyx

Funtyx

Thanks for the previous answer! I ran into a problem! When creating a new Side object, I noticed that the objects are dark and different from the original object. I could be wrong but maybe the problem is in the normals. How to fix this, this happens with all new Side objects.

upload_2021-2-24_14-55-26.png

10. raoul

raoul

Hi Funtyx,

Which version do you have imported? This is visible in the most right Inspector Toolbar tab.

And what do you mean with "all new Side Objects"? Are these all side objects you created based on your models like the one in the image?

Because for this procedural side object type the normals will be calculated based on the original normals. How does the model import in Unity? Does Unity apply X / Z axis rotations to it when dropping the model in the scene?

Would it be possible to send us the original model / prefab so we can test on our end? Our email is in the Readme file in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. Funtyx

Funtyx

I am using EasyRoads3D Pro v3.2 beta 10. New side objects are yes created by me. There are no X and Z turns. I'll send the files to the mail.

raoul likes this.
  12. Funtyx

Funtyx

13. raoul

raoul

Thank you!

It includes a prefab and an fbx file. The prefab file does not import well, the mesh asset is for example missing and no material is assigned. I assume this requires the mesh asset in the fbx file. But I didn't go that far because I also noticed the LODGroup component. Is using LOD levels your intention? That will not work well. LOD Level support for Procedural side objects will be added in v3.2.x

This is what I get when using the original fbx as the Source Object.

funtyx.png

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. koraybirand

koraybirand

Hi Guys,

I am having a strange issue with my T-Crossings (Black texture). Any ideas ?

Attached Files:

15. Funtyx

Funtyx

Was it like that for me too

16. raoul

raoul

Hi koraybirand,

That is a known issue related to Tangents. It is fixed in the next update that will be available next week. Meanwhile if you do coding and you want to check this, RecalculateTangents() in the Unity Mesh class will fix it as well.

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. Summer006_unity

Summer006_unity

Can it make a crossing with non-90 degree angle ?
    I saw all the videos but found all crossing is 90 degree angle...
    Can it dynamic tuning each angle of crossing ?

18. koraybirand

koraybirand

Thanks Raoul,
    I will try to fix it with my limited code knowlodge

raoul likes this.
  19. raoul

raoul

Hi Summer006_unity,

The T Crossing can do non-90 degree angles.

v3.3 will include the Flex Connector, https://easyroads3d.com/v3alpha.php . An alpha version is available. V3.2 will be released next week. V3.3 will then go into beta.

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. koraybirand

koraybirand

Hey its me again. My player is able to go through sideobjects (tunnel) and can fall down from sidewalks (in tunnel). Is it normal ?

Attached Files:

21. raoul

raoul

Hi koraybirand,

This looks like the tunnel example of the v3.2 beta package.

Tunnels are generated as side objects. Please go to the Side Object Manager (second tab from the right). Select this tunnel from the Bridges & Tunnel tab. Then near the bottom look for the "Mesh Collider" checkbox. Switching this on will generate a Mesh Collider after refreshing the specific road with the tunnel.

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. koraybirand

koraybirand

Raoul, You are the MAN !!! Thanks mate..
    Also thanks for the prompt support.
    Let me go ahead and give 5 stars

Meceka, hopeful and raoul like this.
  23. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

He really is. I have been a dev for 20+ years and rarely have dealt with a provider that was so great at support and response.

Good of you to notice it. You rule.

24. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

Thank you! V3.2 will be released very soon which means the focus will be more on v3.3, finishing the new sidewalk options etc. So if there is anything you need, let me know.

Raoul

25. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I'm back at work trying to get my game working in Quest. So I am running tests and if anything comes up I'll let you know.

Have a wonderful week

raoul likes this.
  26. newguy123

newguy123

Another quick 2 presales questions:

1) How are roads aligned to terrain? ie typically we need our roads 140mm lower than our "ground" level.
    In other words grass, sidewalks, paving etc will be at 0mm for example, and roads will be at -140mm
    Is that something that is easily achievable?

2) Can I create roads on large imported meshes, or it only works on actual terrain objects?

27. raoul

raoul

Hi newguy123,

1) Road markers will be aligned with the terrain. In theory the markers can then be lowered 140mm. This could also be done automatically through the scripting API. But I guess the terrain near the road should still be leveled with the road afterwards? Because otherwise the terrain will be on top of the road.

2) Roads can be created on a mesh terrain in a way that the road markers snap to this mesh, see the "Mesh Terrain" option in General Settings > Scene Settings. But the mesh terrain will not be adjusted to the road shape.

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. newguy123

newguy123

No the road should be lower than the terrain, just like in real life. You have the road at the lowest point, then you have a kerb, then you have the grass and soil. The road is aligned to the bottom of the kerb, but grass and soil is aligned to the top of the kerb.

So typical road you see in urban setting: (where road is lower than terrain)
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/57/db/56/57db56746a6d805a408c0107ccbc46cb.jpg

NOT the road you see out in the middle of nowhere, where typically there is no kerb or sidewalk
    https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/empty-asphalt-road-countryside-going-260nw-1466837948.jpg

29. raoul

raoul

Unless perhaps with some custom terrain shader, it is impossible to have the road below the terrain even with the terrain holes system introduced in Unity 2019.3.

Try to do this manually with the terrain tools, you could put a cube primitive on the terrain and size it to simulate a kerb section. It is impossible to match the terrain because the terrain shape is based on a heightmap.

All you can do is "fake" the situation in the first image by using additional terrain meshes with the kerb and grass. That can be done to some extent using the side objects system part of the tool.

The second image is a standard road at the terrain level which is how the tool works.

In v3.3 additional terrain control will be added where the road can be lower then the terrain. This is more intended for sidewalks at the terrain level on the outer side. This will require sidewalks with a specific minimal width based on the terrains heightmapscale. In theory this could also be used for a kerb with grass as an alternative for the side object option mentioned above.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  30. michealcaj

michealcaj

Hello guys ultimate traffic controller has been integrated with the Easy roads

Video tutorials

Requirements:
    -Ultimate traffic controller version 1.8.5
    or higher
    UTC ASSETSTORE LINK
    -Easy roads v3.3a ,the new lane data .

-UTC Integration tool
    INTERGRATION TOOL ASSETSTORE LINK

FEATURES

One click Auto Generates traffic node

Roads generated with easy roads 3.3 would be easily configure for UTC AI vehicle to navigate on.

hopeful and raoul like this.
  31. raoul

raoul

Hi michealcaj,

That looks very good.

But please note that v3.3 is in alpha state

Please do not advertise this yet as fully working and stable :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

michealcaj likes this.
  32. cdibbs

cdibbs

Hello. Running into "Index was out of range" when trying to update splatmaps with 3.2b9 and some veg studio-populated layers. I haven't tried b10 yet, but I also don't see anyone else reporting this when I searched.

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OODDQQOCDO.CreateSplatMeshes (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad scr, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.GameObject]& soSplatmapObjects, System.Single splatSize) (at <05b173e906fc4a32bf33fc8765650f62>:0)
    The error causes the "Build Terrain(s)" op to fail, and leaves lots of pink meshes.

When I choose "selected roads only," it works fine for any selected road. I'm guessing that there is some corrupted bit of data not visible to me that needs to be purged? Is there any way to do that? I've tried "Refresh Road Network" to no avail (although that does clean up the pink).

Thanks!

Edit: confirmed that this happens in b10 also.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  33. michealcaj

michealcaj

Alright boss I'll patiently wait for the stable version

34. raoul

raoul

Don't get me wrong, it looks great!

But the new v3.3 lane data options are used. This is not yet implemented for roundabouts and custom crossing connections.

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. michealcaj

michealcaj

Those this error let you enter playmode,or those it keep populating in the console window.

36. michealcaj

michealcaj

Y
    Yes that's y I will update the integration tool immediately after you get the v3.3 fully functional.

Thanks

37. raoul

raoul

v3.w will be released very soon, v3.3 will go into beta soon and the new lane data options will be further integrated.

It is up to you if you already want to promote support but in that case please include a side note so it is clear that this is still WIP and that lane data, required for your tool, currently is support for built-in X and T Crossings and the v3.3 Flex Connector. This is just to avoid misunderstandings. Because many people also use the custom connection system, crossings based on imported models. Lane data is not generated yet for these crossing types in the current v3.3 alpha.

Thanks,
    Raoul

38. raoul

raoul

Hi @cdibbs,

Sorry, I missed your post yesterday.

I had a look at this. This appears to be a known 3.2 beta issue that was fixed last week. I have sent an update through a private conversation so you can test.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  39. michealcaj

michealcaj

Okay man

40. konsordo

konsordo

@
    Hello!

Yesterday, I was bought the Easy Roads ProV3 and HD Roads (Nature Manufacture). When I am imported and integrated everything like in the manual, I get the next bugs on the scene!!! I am using the HDRP project preset, and it looks like the first 4 roads are wet or in the water!?

Attached Files:

• v1.PNG
      v1.PNG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • V2.PNG
      V2.PNG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
  41. joanpescador

joanpescador

Hello Raoul.
    Simple question. What is the easiest way to get the position of all the markers of a network? Either a list, gameobjects or transforms.
    Thanks,
    Joan

42. joanpescador

joanpescador

Never mind Raoul. I didn't knew that ER3 has VegetationStudio integration. Already solved.
    Regards,

raoul likes this.
  43. koraybirand

koraybirand

Hi Guys,
    I am constantly having problems with the side objects. Especially with tunnels, since I can not fix them. I have to do trial and errors to get a decent result. Since you need to arrange curve points and build the terrains to see results. Bridges are ok since you can do manual labor to fix columns positions. Any ideas especially with tunnels ? Please check the attached images.. bridge.jpg tunnel2.jpg tunnels.jpg

michealcaj likes this.
  44. koraybirand

koraybirand

Also some tunnels have problems where the road and the side objects have gap in between
    tunnel2 copy.jpg

45. michealcaj

michealcaj

Did you increase the road width or did you use the default width value ,

raoul likes this.
  46. cdibbs

cdibbs

Raoul worked with me to resolve this issue via PM. Looks like it is fixed as of the latest development builds.

Thanks for the quick response!

raoul likes this.
  47. kloogens

kloogens

I have no idea what happened but all my roads just vanished! Still see all the connectors, and the nodes (blue spheres) for each road I made but the road mesh is invisible.

Again, I still see all of the connectors. And I get a null reference exception when I try to build the road network.

All the nodes are for each road are still intact and the road will reappear once I select said nodes. After that, said road, may stay or may disappear again at random. If I move one of the nodes of the reappeared road it will stay visible for good.

This is a huge road network and fixing it using the methodology above will take me forever.

Any idea how to fix this?

Edit. Okay, this is a little better. If I select the connector and transform/rotate it a little all the connecting roads will reappear. So I guess it isn't the end of the world if I gotta go through doing that. Still, though it would be nice to know what happened so I don't do it again and also how if better fix it in case I do.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  48. koraybirand

koraybirand

It is the default width

49. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

Have you thought about or worked on the issue of multiple terrain? Meaning if I have a large enough area and want to split it up, is there a way for ER3D to work with this?

Thanks,
    James

50. raoul

raoul

Before answering latest posts, my apologies for the late replies. I guess I didn't open the last post On Saturday. I didn't get any notifications since then for new posts.

Raoul

unityunity