Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi keithsoulasa,

What type of side object is this? Are you referring to the tag assigned to the source prefab of this Side Object in the Side Object Manager? Side object instances indeed do not have a tag option at the moment. That can be added, I will make a note of that.

The side object instances in the scene are named after the side object name. Is finding these objects by name an option?

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. slimshader

slimshader

Hi, very nice asset, 2 questions tho:

1) is there a way to leverage runtime api for AI driven vehicles?

2) docs mention that I-connections can be used to split road network in chunks for streaming, where to get more information on that topic?

3. raoul

raoul

Hi slimshader,

Thank you :)

1) Road data is available through the scripting API. The runtime scene example show how an object can follow the road. The script is in /Assets/EasuRoads3d/Scripts/

This is failry basic though. V3.3 will include more road type options among which the option to assign lane info, the number of lanes and the direction. Road data will be generated accordingly, also on intersections. The v3.3 alpha package includes a script example using this data, it is the script used at the end in the first v3.3 demo video on this page, https://easyroads3d.com/v3alpha.php

2) The "I Connector" option is available near the bottom in the marker section of the selected road. Streaming is often done based on terrain tiles. What most users do is insert these I Connectors where roads cross terrain tiles, that way roads can be terrain tile specific.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Exactly, that would be awesome for the next version .

I've fixed it for now, looks like your creating a child batch renderer object on the side objects , my script now recursively changes these as well

raoul likes this.
  5. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

How do I fix this z fighting between the simple bridge side object and it's parent road

upload_2020-12-24_13-0-25.png

6. raoul

raoul

Hi keithsoulasa,

Which shader is used on the road material? The EasyRoads3D shaders have an offset option that can help with this.

Otherwise the Y Position option in the side object settings can be used to move the bridge a little bit downwards.

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. qpuilie

qpuilie

Hi Raoul,
    Haven't contacted for a while.
    I want to submit a quesstion.
    It's too slow for runtime API when there are many road markers:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SetMarkerControlType(int marker,ERMarkerControlType type)
    For example:
    First: I create road by markers.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector3[][] initData = {new[] {new Vector3(-222, 16, -162), new Vector3(-222, 16, -138)}, new[] {new Vector3(-222, 16, -138), new Vector3(-150, 16, -138)},new[] {new Vector3(-150, 16, -138), new Vector3(-126, 16, -174)},...};
    Then create these roads:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void CreateRoad(RoadFragment roadData) {
    2.         Stopwatch sw=new Stopwatch();
    3.         if (_roadType == null) {
    4.             _roadType = _roadNetwork.GetRoadTypeByName("Default Road");
    5.             _roadType.roadWidth = BuildConsts.RoadWidth;
    6.         }
    7.         //get all of the position of this road
    8.         List<Vector3> positions = new List<Vector3>();
    9.         for (int i = 0; i < roadData.Markers.Count; i++) {
    10.             positions.Add(roadData.Markers[i].Position);
    11.         }
    12.         ERRoad currentRoad = _roadNetwork.CreateRoad($"road_{_roadAutoIncrement++}", _roadType, positions.ToArray());
    14.         sw.Start();
    15.         for (int i = 0; i < roadData.Markers.Count; i++) {
    16.             if (roadData.Markers[i].MarkerType == ERMarkerControlType.Spline)
    17.                 continue;
    18.             currentRoad.SetMarkerControlType(i, roadData.Markers[i].MarkerType);
    19.         }
    20.         sw.Stop();
    21.         Debug.Log($"Marker Count:{roadData.Markers.Count} Set the MarkerControlType cost:{sw.ElapsedMilliseconds}ms");
    23.         currentRoad.SetTerrainDeformation(false);
    24.         RoadObject newRoad = new RoadObject();
    25.         newRoad.Road = currentRoad;
    26.         newRoad.IntersectionInfos = roadData.IntersectionInfos;
    27.         newRoad.Markers.AddRange(roadData.Markers);
    28.         _roads.Add(newRoad);
    29.     }
    The final generation time is beyond what I can bear(figure1).

So,can you provide a API to create road with positions and MarkerTypes?
    Such as:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public ERRoad CreateRoad(string name, ERRoadType type, Vector3[] markers,ERMarkerControlType[] types);
    Best Wishes,
    Zhang

Attached Files:

8. raoul

raoul

Hello Zhang,

Yes, the lines with SetMarkerControlType() are probably not so fast when many road markers are involved. I would think this is only relevant when you know the exact road shape beforehand and when different marker control types are available. Usually this will only be used on a selection of road markers, step by step, like in the Unity editor. This can be optimized, I will make a note to a function to update all marker control types at once hrough the scripting API.

Thanks,
    Raoul

qpuilie likes this.
  9. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

10. raoul

raoul

Hi keithsoulasa,

First thougths are that it is more logical to plan the road network first and then fill the environment with buildings. So my approach would be to make it work the other way around.

This is on schedule for v3.3, more API access to road data, isolate areas for building blocks etc. But this could already be done to some extent with the current scripting API. The missing part is exact road data at crossings.

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. Barritico

Barritico

Hi.

I still have the same problem.
    Everything updated and with Unity 2020.1.17
    It happens in both the updated version and the beta.

Every time I go to the editor (the first time) and click on "Road Network" it slows down a lot of time, as I show in the image.

I've done everything. Delete all folders (easy road), temporary ... I can't think of anything. And, the truth is that when I have to do simple things I have to resort to other tools. And I don't like it.

I just need some advice. Something I can investigate.

Let's see if I'm lucky.

Thank you.
    i7-4790
    24Gb RAM
    GTX 1060 6Gb

Attached Files:

12. raoul

raoul

Hello Barritico,

What exactly do you mean with the same problem?

So far no issues have been reported in recent Unity versions. For example, over past two days we have been testing projects in Unity 2020.2.1f1. There have not been any issues, the road network can be selected and the roads are responsive.

It appears something is updating, does Unity hang or does it eventually finish the update? And if this finishes does this update happen again the next time the road network is selected?

Searching on Inspector.InitOrRebuild does return some results, for example https://answers.unity.com/questions/1708437/unity-inspector-stuck-on-one-objectunity-inspector.html

What is the history of this project, what was the latest version of Unity and EasyRoads3D that worked well for this project?

Does this also happen in the provided demo scene?

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I was more thinking to replace the fantastic city roads with EasyRoads via a script once the city is generated.

Can you create new roads with the API ,?

14. raoul

raoul

Hi keithsoulasa,

Yes, roads and intersections can be created through the scripting API. The EasyRoads3 Pro package includes a runtimescene example where a road is created at runtime.

The same code can be used inside the Unity editor. Currently no intersections are created in this example, the scripting API is documented in the manual and if useful code for this can be provided. Once v3.2 is out new tutorials and demo scenes will follow, also scripting API related.

Thanks,
    Raoul

keithsoulasa likes this.
  15. Barritico

Barritico

Ya. Sé que esto no ha pasado nunca, que todas las pruebas superan todos los test y que la herramienta es espectacular.

Pero me pasa, eso es obvio. Y me lleva pasando desde hace mucho tiempo.

Sé que haciendo un nuevo proyecto se soluciona. Pero son tales cantidades de cosas las que tengo que migrar, que suponía que en base a la mayor experiencia, tanto tuya como del resto de usuarios, habría alguna solución más sencilla. Tal como eliminar carpeta temporal, cambiar algún check o similares que solucionan este tipo de cosas.

Pero bueno... qué se va a hacer. Seguiré trabajando como pueda hasta que tenga que invertir varios días en crear un proyecto de cero y migrarlo todo.

Gracias y feliz año.

16. raoul

raoul

Hi Barritico,

I understand, it is just that not being able to reproduce it makes it hard to debug from our end and give feedback. Would it be possible to email us the project / scene so we can look at this? If this is a large project, could you try duplicate the project, strip the scene and minimize the road network by manually removing road and crossing objects from the hierarchy but still in a state that results in this same situation?

Happy New Year!
    Raoul

17. MatheusPereiraBarros

MatheusPereiraBarros

Hello guys. I'm trying to make a complex cloverleaf intersection, like this example in image.

But, i don't find in documentation or none tutorial that explain a way to reproduce this cloverleaf, or other highway overpasses.

Can you help me?

Best regards and happy new year!

18. raoul

raoul

Hi Matheus,

Highway exits are not yet supported. For now they can be modeled outside Unity and imported into the system using the custom connection system. These prefabs will act the same as built-in dynamic connections, roads can connect.

Built-in support for dynamic customizable highway exits will be available in v3.3. The upcoming v3.2 demo scene will include two examples done like described above.

Happy New Year!
    Raoul

MatheusPereiraBarros and hopeful like this.
  19. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

I don´t know why but this custom connection won´t convert correctly. After the building process as custom connection, the model has some problem. Have you seen this before or have a idea what could cause this?

https://imgur.com/1w4pezt

I can also send the model / prefab per mail if you need.

Thanks ;)

20. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

Is this a normals issue? How does the model import in the Custom Connection Editor system? Is it necessary to change the axis or is it immediately visible in top down view after dropping it in the editor window?

When it is necessary to change the axis then normals and tangents also need to be recalculated. This is the case when the model is imported in a way that Unity has to apply rotations to it when dropping it in the scene. Is that correct, are rotations added on especially the x and z axis on the version visible on the left in the attached image?

In order to keep the mesh data as is, without the need of recalculating the normals and tangents, it is recommended to export the model from your modelling app in a way that Unity does not have to add these roatations.

Could you indeed send the model to us if this does not solve the problem. That way we can test it on our end.

Thanks,
    Raoul

21. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

yes, I have to rotate it after putting it in the editor. Yes there are rotations on the x axis. Even when I correct the roation in blender, it doesn´t work. I have send you a link per email where I uploaded the crossing. The models rotation are corrected and you should not need to change the axis in the editor.

thanks ;)

22. PrimusThe3rd

PrimusThe3rd

Hi, here is seen a strange texture after exporting a build. Inside Unity project no strange texture is seen, though (small screenshot). I have attached the same textures on road and T connector and still no success.
    What should I do?
    Thanks,
    Primus

Attached Files:

• 3D.png
      3D.png
      File size:
      2.4 MB
      Views:
  23. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

I had a look at the prefab. It appears to work well, the wrong shading like in the image in your first post does not happen. On the left the prefab, on the right the final prefab as used within a road network.

marcell_cp.jpg

The only small issue is the setup of the material in the package. It uses the HD Roads material with only one albedo and normals texture. This didn't work optimal. Either additional textures can be assigned to the other slots or, like in the above image, the adapted Standard shader can be used.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    marcell123455 likes this.
  24. raoul

raoul

Hi PrimusThe3rd,

It is hard to tell with no further info. It looks like a material / build issue. What are the project settings, Build settings and which material / shader is used? If you want you can send us the project by email so we can look at it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. marcell123455

marcell123455

I don´t know why, but when I change the shader it seems to work ^^
    btw. Does the shader support something like puddels? If yes, what shader properties do I have to use?

EDIT:

Ok no idea why, but after changing the material and shader a few times it now works... ok
    Also a other thing that I wanted to ask is: Is it possible to change the order how the roadtypes are displayed in the dropdown in the "add road tab" ?

26. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Anyway to not stretch out the road textures like this when you have a higher road width ?

upload_2021-1-4_15-47-19.png

Using HDRP

27. raoul

raoul

Hi marcell123455,

Glad to hear you got that working.

Puddles are currently not supported. It requires a special shader, it is on the list.

The road types in the dropdown can currently not be sorted in a different way. Generally you would want to optimize this per scene by only loading those road types that will be used. I understand this can still be a reasonable number in complex scenes, but just in case...

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. raoul

raoul

Hi keithsoulasa,

I cannot get a clear impression from the photo how the road texture should stretch? In any case, stretching road textures with clear line markings generally does not work well. Which materials are involved? I guess it is a matter of adjusting the road texture if you want to maintain the same line marking width.

Thanks,
    Raoul

29. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

upload_2021-1-4_18-16-43.png

Here's a cleaner screenshot .

Edit

Looks like the settings I need are in UV tiling and subsections

30. qpuilie

qpuilie

Hi Raoul,

Can there be an L-shaped cross connection? Even though I know I can connect it directly, I need an L-shaped cross connection.
    So i want to edit the mesh file.But the source mesh file(fbx) seems not be provided.

Thanks.

31. raoul

raoul

Hi keithsoulasa,

In both the main Road Settings and for Road Types there is a UV Tiling option. Is that what you are looking for?

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. raoul

raoul

Hi qpuilie,

Do you need sharp angles?

Otherwise L turns can be created using the Circular control type on the markwe at the start of the turn, it will lookin like this.

EasyRoads3D-Circular.jpg

Sharp turns cannot be done this way. This is probably something for the custom connection system at the moment. Model the L sshape and import it into the system.

Do you want to export the generated road? There is an "Export Object" button at the bottom in the main Road Settings. This exports to .obj. Unity's FBX Exporter could also be used for this if you prefer fbx.

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. qpuilie

qpuilie

Oh,thank you.
    Yes,I use circular control type frequently.
    What I mean is that I want a 90° cross connection prefab to connect two roads, just like the T/X Cross connection provided by default. Because of the runtime API I use, using circular will bring many other problems (such as: need Calculate the starting position of the circular controller; the height difference causes the turning point to tilt, etc.) So i want to use "Custom Connection System".

Thanks!

34. raoul

raoul

Hi qpuilie,

If a connection prefab is easier for runtime API workflow then you could indeed export a road object with this L shape, cutout the L shape in your modelling app, import it back into the system and use that as a custom L connection.

Thanks,
    Raoul

qpuilie likes this.
  35. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Yep, it's working now !

Last question( for now) , anyway to automatically remove Gaia Gameobject spawns along with trees

36. raoul

raoul

Hi keithsoulasa,

Glad to hear you got that working.

Currently there is no way to automatically remove objects spawned by Gaia. I am not sure if these objects can be found easily, in that case it could be done by raycasting at these object positions and check if a road or crossing object is hit.

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

I have a problem setting up a tunnel model... After a lot of trying I could not figure out the problem, no matter what rotation I apply to it (in the modelling software)

I also get these errors:

Failed setting triangles. Some indices are referencing out of bounds vertices. IndexCount: 1176, VertexCount: 560
    UnityEngine.Mesh:SetTriangles(List`1, Int32)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERMesh:ODDQQOOCOC(ERModularRoad, GameObject, SideObject, ERModularBase, Boolean, Int32, List`1, Int32, List`1, List`1)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OQQDOQOOOD:OQQQCDQQCC(GameObject, SideObject, ERModularRoad, ERSORoadExt, Boolean, Boolean)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OQQDOQOOOD:OQOCCOQCQC(ERModularBase, ERModularRoad, SideObject, Boolean)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OQQDOQOOOD:OQDDOQQCCQ(ERModularBase, ERModularRoad, Boolean)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCQOOOODCO:UpdateSideObjectsInScene(ERModularBase)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCQCODDQD:OnSceneGUI()
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

I uploaded the problematic Tunnel here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0i2ftf8cbc8d56c/Problematic+Tunnel.fbx/file

Thanks ;)

38. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

It is already late in the evening over here, I downloaded the fbx and will test it tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. raoul

raoul

Hi @marcell123455,

I had a look at the fbx. First thing I noticed is that it also includes camera and lamp objects, that will not work.

But the fbx mesh by itself appears to work well as a Procedural side object type using the fbx exactly how it imports in Unity, no rotations applied.

tunnel_marcell.jpg

When exactly do you get the error you posted?

I assume this is not the final tunnel model? Because this setup will leave clearly visible holes in the terrain.

Thanks,
    Raoul

40. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hello Raoul,

I got the error when placing the roadmarkers of a road that had this sideobject appied. I removed the camera and light and don´t get these errors anymore, but I still can´t get it working. What are your settings in the mesh editor window?
    My tunnel looks messy. Vertices are connecting wierd.

https://imgur.com/h97x0qS

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  41. raoul

raoul

Hi marcell123455,

Because of the way the mesh is set up, the Mesh Editor window is not really relevant. It is not possible to set start, middle, end sections.

The fbx is used as is, didn't change the scale of the fbx. All I did was create a new side object, selected the Procedural side object type and assigned your fbx to the "Source Object" slot. Then I created a road and activated the side object. The result is the image I posted.

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. marcell123455

marcell123455

Ok, I got it working. The problem was that I had enabeled the start and end segment toggle. This created the messy behavior.

thanks again ^^

raoul likes this.
  43. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

again I found something strange. I guess it´s a bug and it´s replicatable for me in my project.

create 2 roadtypes. Create, lets say 2 different sideobjects. Apply in the general tab each road a different sideobject.
    Now create a road of roadtype 1 and place some nodes. Select a marker and scroll down to marker side object settings. Keep an eye on the dropdown where you can select a sideobject. Normally you can only select sideobjects which are only appied to this roadtype, but now, change the roadtype of this road to roadtype 2 in the road settings and change it back.

When you now select a marker of the road and go down to this dropdown, some sideobjects of roadtype 2 are avaible to select even it was changed back!

Can you confirm this?

Thanks

44. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell123455,

It is a bit of switching the selection of road types on a single road, but I see what you mean. Thank you for reporting this, I will look at it. Meanwhile toggling on/off the specific side object in the main side object settinmgs cleans up the dropdown.

Thanks,
    Raoul

45. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Raoul,

I guess I found a small issue again. I think the "Default End Offset" setting of sideobjects does not really work. It simply has no effect but the "Default Start Offset" works, so I assume it´s a issue.

As example look at the settings of my pillar sideobject. On the left you can see that the last pillar is not affected by this setting. BUT this setting works, when "Average by road lengh" is disabeled and the space between the last object and the road end is smaller than the sideobject placing distance.

https://imgur.com/nE7GARd

What do you say?

Thanks

46. BriBill

BriBill

Capture.JPG Hi there! I'm attempting to integrate EasyRoads 3D with Vegetation Studio Pro in my project but it's not clear to me why my roads are not masking out the vegetation. I've read some of the other posts here in the forums and have selected the Active box.

I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be any instructions or tutorials for this in the manual or on your website. Can you please advise? It would be helpful to see how the system should respond when working properly.

Thank you!

47. raoul

raoul

Hi Marcell,

Yes, that is correct it can happen when the side object is auto activated on a road type and when adding markers. It will be fixed. Meanwhile selecting the second last marker and moving it a little bit should trigger the offset

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. raoul

raoul

Hi BriBill,

Brief Vegetation Studio notes are are in General Settings > Terrain Management, https://www.easyroads3d.com/v3/html/general_settings.html#terrain

Looking at the settings in your screenshot, that should all that needs to be done. "Active" is checked. Have you tried the "Reset All Road Types and Objects" button?

Otherwise, the same options are available in the road type settings for each road type and also for the selected road. So when no vegetation is removed, the next step is to check these settings for the specific road type and for a road object. When these settings are indeed the same then you could select the road object in the hierarchy and see if the specific Vegetation Studio component was added. Can you pass this information?

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. Rowlan

Rowlan

Check around 03:00 here and verify the marker distance:

50. raoul

raoul

Hi Rowlan,

What exactly do you mean with verify the marker distance?

When the Vegetation Studio component is generated as expected and still no vegetation is removed then, if that is what you mean, the next step would indeed be veryfing the Vegetation Studio component values. This part should work well, I just double checked in the latest version. It should not be necessary to make changes in the Vegetation Studio component itself (visible in the video), but this can be done optionally.

Just in case, EasyRoads3D perimeter values of 0 means vegetation will be removed up to the left and right edge of the road.

Thanks,
    Raoul