Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. TrueProger

TrueProger

easy_road_error2.jpg easy_road_error1.jpg Hello!
    When trying to open the prefab editor
    Gives errors
    Any ideas how to fix it?
    easy road version 3.0 beta 8.7

2. raoul

raoul

Hi Bogat,

Which version of Unity do you use? In any case, v3.0 beta 8.7, that is an old beta version before v3 was released. Please try the latest v3.1.8.x releases.

Thanks,
    Raoul

3. TrueProger

TrueProger

Unity 2018.2.7f
    If I update easy roads, I’ll have the same grid resolution settings right? Can there be any other difficulties?
    I see this version v3.1.8.f3 in the store release date: 09/30/2019 Is it stable?

4. raoul

raoul

The 3.0 beta 8.7 build should work with Unity 2018.2.7f in general. But it is an old version, perhaps there was a bug related to Custom Connection Prefab Editor.

Please back up your project and try the latest version. The Custom Connection Prefab editor does work fine in that build.

Thanks,
    Raoul

5. raoul

raoul

EasyRoads3D v3.2 and v3.3 announcement

We have been working on new crossing options currently released as v3.2 betas. This is complex and there are still a fair amount of new features to add.

Meanwhile Unity is getting ready supporting holes in the Unity terrain object in Unity 2019.3. Tunnels, often requested, will now be possible. This is side object related for which an upgrade was planned in v3.3. New workflow processes have already been implemented and will be further extended for a new range of side object options. This is reasonably less complex and therefore we have decided to swap the v3.2 and v3.3 releases. So v3.2 will be side object related.

This change does not really affect the progress of previous v3.2 features, Flex Connectors and motorway on / off ramps. New betas will be released for this update too. The only change is that the initial v3.3 features will be released and available quicker.

Here is a short WIP video for auto generating tunnels based on the tunnel side object profile and the terrain shape.

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

re: Tunnels. HOT DAMN!!!! That looks great! (and easy) Congrats.

raoul likes this.
  7. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

That is what this update is all about, auto generating tunnels, bridges, retaining walls based on the terrain profile. It will still be possible to use the current marker based side object workflow.

Thanks,
    Raoul

JamesWjRose likes this.
  8. Rowlan

Rowlan

It seems like insert mode is broken.

Precondition: I select a marker and hit I on this position:

1.jpg
    This is what Easy Roads creates:

2.jpg

Sometimes it's 1 node above the other. And sometimes it goes into an endless loop.

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

Is there a shortcut to align every node of a road to the terrain? Occasionally I import a different terrain, but want to keep the road as it is. It would come in very handy.

10. raoul

raoul

Hi Rowlan,

I just tested inserting markers, about 30+ markers in different situations. It all appeared to work well until I marked the road as a "ClosedTrack". Then inserting a marker results in something like in your image but only when inserting the new marker between marker 1 and 2. This will be fixed.

Does that match your situation? Otherwise can you see a pattern how to reproduce this?

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. raoul

raoul

Ctrl + drag keeps the marker snapped to the terrain height when moving it (this will change to Shift in the next update).

Otherwise a quick way to snap all markers to the terrain is by toggling on/off "Follow Terrain Contours" in the main "Road Settings" at the top in the Inspector.

Thanks,
    Raoul

combatsheep likes this.
  12. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, indeed, it was a closed track. I do wonder though why I got those endless loops. Had to kill the Unity task 3 times now. I'll try to reproduce on an empty project. But looking forward to the fix you mention.

It would be great if this could be a dedicated button in the inspector. It's really hard to keep track with all the shortcuts with this and other assets. And this isn't to be found in the shortcuts doc:

http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/shortcuts.html

For my workflow this is a very important feature.

13. raoul

raoul

Either the coming week or the week afterwards there will be a new update. I will make sure to add this fix, but again this is only with regard to inserting markers between marker 1 and 2 for a closed track. Please let me know if you indeed see different behaviour when other markers are involved.

The steps I mentioned to snap all markers to the terrain height is not really a shortcut, that is why it is not listed that way in the manual. I will see if there is a good place in the Inspector for a button that does this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Rowlan likes this.
  14. colin_young

colin_young

Side object spacing - I have several side objects which I am trying to align. I have one that is a parking mesh with decal (modified from HD Roads sample) and is 8 units long. It (parking) is a procedural mesh object. The one I am trying to align (cars) is a mesh object. I have set the spacing on the cars to 8 units, but they are not lining up with the parking. see the attached image. In this side object the child prefabs are rotated 90 degrees. I am using the same prefabs in 2 other side object definitions where they are rotated 0 and 45 degrees (perpendicular and angled parking), but since I am aligning them with another mesh (not procedural mesh) object, they all align as expected. I've tried this problem side object as a mesh object, and have alignment issues also.

Any suggestions to get the 2 side object definitions to align?

Attached Files:

15. Rowlan

Rowlan

Just to show why it would be convenient: I had a terrain created with World Creator 2 and a road:

before.jpg
    Then I thought I'd like to see a more hill-ish experience. Changing this in World Creator 2, importing it into Unity and re-applying with what you suggested literally took 1 minute. I really like this workflow:

after.jpg
    A dedicated button however, would be very much appreciated :)

Easy Roads aligned everything to the new height and steepness, which is such a time saver. No manual adjustment necessary.

h.jpg

hopeful and raoul like this.
  16. raoul

raoul

Hi Colin,

The spacing value is recalculated to a value that will match the distance over which the side objects will be generated. This might be involved here. In this situation the spacing value for both side objects should probably be the same, the start / end offsets of the cars should extend so they start and end halfway the first and last parking space. Is that the current setup?

I will test this today using two side objects, one mesh Type (the car) and one Procedural (the parking mesh)

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. raoul

raoul

Hi Rowlan,

Good to hear that!

Toggling on/off "Follow Terrain Contours" to force the markers snapping to the new terrain height should be instant, at most 5 secs or so.

For sure shortscuts will be added to do this marker snap process, I am still looking where to put a button for this, also trying to avoid the Inspector from becoming too cluttered.

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. Rowlan

Rowlan

I meant the whole workflow of creating that new terrain and importing and adapting the road took a minute, the Easy Roads process, i. e. height adaptation of the road was only a few seconds, like you said :)

19. raoul

raoul

Yes, I see the road shape clearly has changed on the left further away :)

20. raoul

raoul

@colin_young

I just did a test with a quick 8 unit length procedural parking lot side object and a car side object, the green objects. The start offset of the car side object is 4 (halfway the first parking space), the end offset is -4 (halfway the last parking space)

This is the result:

parkingLots.jpg

Do you use similar settings?

Thanks,
    Raoul

combatsheep likes this.
  21. colin_young

colin_young

Yes, similar settings, but in my case the origin of the car meshes is at the front of the car, not the center, so I've experimented with different offsets. I am also using a prefab that has multiple children, and they are all slightly different sizes, but I wouldn't expect that to affect things.

I also noted that I am (again) seeing multiple exceptions, probably unrelated, but it probably makes more sense to get those sorted before worrying about this in case they are actually related. I've sent an email with the exported scene.

22. Rowlan

Rowlan

In order to get the side objects you have to import the Easy Roads Demo package. However, that overwrites all kinds of files from Easy Roads itself and the Demo seems not to be up-to-date. Would it be possible to split the assets so that both are compatible? Now I have to import the Demo and to be on the safe side I have to import Easy Roads again. No idea what that will lead to with the changes I already performed :)

Edit: Did that and saw there's a new version of Easy Roads. So I'd have had to do that anyway. Now I have to import the side objects. Feedback on usability: I have absolutely no idea what that means:

import side objects.png

Which prefab on which stage? If this were plausible, one wouldn't have to revert back to documentation ;)

Edit: Didn't find anything in the documentation. So I searched the NatureManufacture HD Add-On. There I knew that it's called "HD Road Presets". So I searched for "Presets" and found "ERDemoPresets" among others in a Resources folder:

er.png

After grepping through the documentation that comes with ER, the "ERDemoPresets" is nowhere to be found.

The whole structuring has room for improvement, I don't see the "Easy" in Easy Roads. Starting with the files and folders being one time upper case, the other lower case. One time there's a separation with blank "ER Road Network", the other there isn't "ERDemoPresets". Looks like chaos.

Just to give usability feedback. I really don't see the "Easy" in Easy Roads :)

The features themselves are really awesome once you get the hang of it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  23. raoul

raoul

Hi Colin,

If the origin is at the front then the offsets need to be adjusted. In the below image the car size is 4, parking space is 8. So the cars are positioned with an offset of 2 relative to the start of the parking space. The start offset (where the first car is positioned) is 2, the end offset (where the last car is positioned) is -6.

parkingLots1.jpg

But since random car sizes are involved I would probably set the origin to the center so the car length does not affect the position which will be the case if the origin is at the start of the car.

I have downloaded the scene and will look at it today. Are you refering to the "Refresh Road Network" alerts you mentioned in the email or indeed to errors/exceptions? Thank you very much for all the beta feedback you are giving!

Raoul

24. raoul

raoul

Hi Rowlan,

The pro package has limited assets. The only files that will be overwritten are the dll's, that is how Unity package imports work. To make sure the latest version of EasyRoads3D is imported it is recommended to import the Pro package afterwards. Which other files are overwritten on your end?

Have you tried that? As mentioned the Pro package does include limited additional assets which do not interfere with the demo package.

The import window text is not specifically referring to presets provided by us.

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/so_import_export.php

This link explains how road types and side objects can be used across projects.

In your screenshot "ERDemoPresets" is highlighted, this is the asset that should be dragged to the import window. Afterwards you can select which objects to import.

Alternatively, open the demo scene and select the road network, all presets used in that scene will be added to the project log and will be available afterwards in other scenes.

There are indeed some situations where lowercase characters are used, the example of the spaces in "ER Road Network" however could be a result of Unity inserting spaces like it does for instance for component names in the Inspector. Where do you see "ER Road Network" and not "ERRoadNetwork" (referring to the ERRoadNetwork class)?

Thank you for the feedback :)

Raoul

25. colin_young

colin_young

It is the "Refresh Road Network" alerts I am referring to. I expect they are unrelated, but it's much easier to debug things when everything else is working correctly.

The difficulty with setting the origin to the center of the cars is that I am using the same prefab for angled and perpendicular parking, where I need to position relative to the front of the car. It's more a laziness thing -- I don't want to have to maintain multiple sets of assets. I don't know if I gain anything performance or memory-wise from reusing the same prefab in multiple places. I'll create another prefab with a center origin though and see if that affects anything.

UPDATE: Some combination of using a center origin on the cars, and re-drawing the parking pad (created in Blender with correct dimensions and uniform scale factor of 1 in Unity) seems to have fixed it. The modified Nature Manufacture Assets prefab had some non-uniform scaling (I think the original did also).

26. raoul

raoul

These "Refresh Road Network" warnings are unrelated to the involved road because if that would be the case, no side objects will be generated at all.

The problem here is the different sizes, this will make it harder to accurately position the objects.

If all car sizes fit in well within 8 units, then you could experiment with a "Random Distance" value, this will result in some variation in the car positioning.

Regarding the UPDATE, glad to hear you got that working anyway. In the example I posted a simple scaled plane primitive is used.

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. colin_young

colin_young

I've been assuming the spacing is absolute, i.e. 8, 16, 24, 32, etc. and if one of the child prefabs was e.g. 10 units, it would overlap the next one. Is that not the case? That's for a mesh object. I assume the procedural mesh option spaces according to the actual dimensions of the mesh used.

28. raoul

raoul

Yes that is correct in both cases. For a Mesh type of side object, the bounds of the instantiated mesh does not affect the "Distance between Objects" value. A 10 unit mesh will overlap an 8 unit mesh if "Distance Between Objects" is 8.

The Procedural mesh option does not have this distance value, the source mesh will be repeated once the end is reached. This is for example for specific wall types, guard rails and indeed parking lots.

Thanks,
    Raoul

colin_young likes this.
  29. colin_young

colin_young

I understand that an I connector cannot change the number of lanes, but what about transitioning e.g. from a 2-lane road to a wider 2-lane road. Is that also not supported? Playing with the AI traffic script it doesn't appear to be.

30. raoul

raoul

Hi Colin,

What should this transition look like? The I Connector can for example be used to connect two different road types and optionally a transition texture can be used on the I Connector, but that is more intended for short transitions.

AI on I Connectors depends on the type of I Connector. When indeed a transition texture is used then AI data is probably also required for the I Connector. That is indeed not covered yet in the current beta.

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. colin_young

colin_young

It's the lanes for AI traffic that I'm interested in. The textures appear fine for my purposes, but the sample AI traffic script is reporting no lane data when it encounters an I Connector, which seems to agree with your comment. Can I add lanes in a custom connector prefab? And is there any way to convert the generated connector to a prefab to avoid having to attempt to create one myself?

32. raoul

raoul

Do you have a transition on the I Connector using a different material or do the roads connect and is no mesh assigned to the I Connector?

More work is required from our end if a mesh is assigned.

Otherwise, the AI script is only an example of how the v3.2 lane data can be used through the scripting API. In the beta example only X Crossings and Flex Connectors are used.

The script will be further expanded. In the case of I Connectors it is a matter of finding the other road attached to the I Connector and check whether that is the start or end of the road. That is the information needed to get the lane data of the new road. Something like the below (untested)

Code (csharp):
    1. // Get the connection, for example if the car is driving on the right lane
    2. int connectionIndex;
    3. ERConnection connection = road.GetConnectionAtEnd(out connectionIndex);
    5. // Get the connection data
    6. ERConnectionData[] data = connection.GetConnectionData();
    8. // Get the connection index of the next road
    9. int nextConnectionIndex;
    10. if (connectionIndex == 0){
    11.      // the next road is connected to connection index 1
    12.      nextConnectionIndex = 1;
    13. }else{
    14.      // the next road is connected to connection index 0
    15.      nextConnectionIndex = 0;
    16. }
    18. // Get the next road
    19. ERRoad nextRoad = data[nextConnectionIndex].road;
    21. // Get the lane data
    22. if (data[nextConnectionIndex].marker == 0) {
    23.      // this road is connected at the start so the car will continue on the right lane
    24.      lanePoints = nextRoad.GetLanePoints(laneIndex, ERLaneDirection.Right);
    25. }else{
    26.      // this road is connected at the end so the car will continue on the left lane
    27.      lanePoints = nextRoad.GetLanePoints(laneIndex, ERLaneDirection.Left);
    28. }
    If there is a transition mesh used on the I Connector something like the above may still work well as long there is no strong bend on the transition mesh.

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. colin_young

colin_young

That's kind of what I was thinking of doing until lanes on the I connectors are supported.

I have not assigned a mesh to the I connector. All I've done is added one to connect 2 roads of different widths and set the transition length and style and let ER3D do the rest. It's not a major issue for me at the moment, I really just wanted to confirm that the behavior I was seeing was expected, and indeed it is.

34. raoul

raoul

If a transition length is set, then a mesh is actually generated for the I Connector. Indeed ideally you do want lane data in that case especially when the road widths change. But depending on the width change the code in my previous post may still work well if the road shape is fairly straight near the I Connector. Probably the last point of the previous road should be included at the start for the lane data of the next road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. colin_young

colin_young

I added the suggestion to use the last position of the previous road to the lane points, and that seems to be sort of working -- it linearly interpolates to the next road, which for my situation is fine. The connection is mostly straight.

There is an odd stutter and the entrance and exit of the I connector. I suspect that it's doubling on the start and end points. I'll need to investigate further.

I've also got an odd lane loop in my road network. It appears as though I have an intersection where one of the lane ends teleports to the lane end of another intersection, and there is a chain of those that result in all the AI traffic ending up on 3 small sections of road (out of 411 roads). I think that's specific to my network though, and I'll need to investigate what's going on and see if I can clean it up. I do know there is some corruption of the network, but that appears to be on a road that is not connected to any of the roads involved here.

36. raoul

raoul

Yes, the lineair interpolation is the result of moving from the first road directly to the next, that is why I mentioned that this may work well on straight sections and that the results depend on the width change between the two roads.

It is hard to comment on that specific lane "loop" without further details. Does that happen in the beta scenes you are sending over? Which crossing is that?

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. colin_young

colin_young

It is in the beta scenes, but I've probably made a few changes since the last one I sent. I'm now fairly certain it is the code modifications I've made to the AI traffic script, because I'm no longer seeing the "loop" so I think it was something in the code picking the wrong end. I've now got different problems which I'm currently debugging :)

I wouldn't worry about it. I'll post back here once I've debugged and figured out what is going on.

38. Rowlan

Rowlan

I didn't check, I've been there before and know how things work. Yet, I would very much prefer a better solution where only the add-on assets are imported, no dll or something that interfers with ER Pro.

Thanks for the link, I was in the wrong one, ie here: http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/side_objects.html

Example:

er.png
    But that's just an example. I'd prefer proper consistent naming standards :)

I really love ER, have been doing various road tests over the last couple of days. By the way, what I wish for would be more HD roads. A lot more. Also country side, dirt and gravel. And 2-split-lanes on dirt ground.

39. raoul

raoul

Hi Rowlan,

When v3 was released in betas, users asked for a clean package with the core scripts only. EasyRoads3D has always been a framework of scripts that can be used with other assets, many people use their own assets with the tool. The Demo package was included at the time after discussing this with the Asset Store Team. The only way to make tyhe demo available as a "Free" EasyRoads3D Pro Add On was to create a new package and link it to the EasyRoads3D Pro package as a free upgrade. Some people actually do buy the demo package instead of the Pro package. For these users the full EasyRoads3D Pro package must be included as well.

I see what you mean, I will change these prefab names so they are more consistent :)

More additional assets is being worked on.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  40. raoul

raoul

Hi Colin,

I got your email with the new scene and will look at it.

Thanks again for all the beta feedback, very much appreciated!

Raoul

41. jbaujb

jbaujb

How do you camber the road? As in make it twist with the terrain instead of carving out a flat part.

Thanks.

42. raoul

raoul

Hi jbaujb,

The "Tilting" option in the Inspector near the top in the marker section can be used for that on the involved markers.

This can also be done in the Scene View window with the Rotate tool but this is broken in the current v3.1.8.f3 on the asset store. It is fixed in v3.1.8.f4 available on our website since last Friday and soon also on the asset store.

rotateTool.jpg

Or do you want the full road to "follow" the terrain shape rather then carving the road shape out of the terrain? That is also possible but for good results it does require specific terrain conditions. That is why this option is not available by default in the Inspector.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  43. Rowlan

Rowlan

Just a shout out to @raoul for making the road creation and especially also the alteration so quickly possible. Adding this road and removing the vegetation is literally a matter of minutes :)

44. Barritico

Barritico

Hola.

No me funciona la combinación SHIFT+Z que, según el manual, debería seleccionar todos los marcadores de una carretera.

¿Alguna solución o alternativa?
    Gracias.

Hi.

The SHIFT + Z combination does not work, which, according to the manual, should select all the markers on a road.

Any solution or alternative?
    Thank you.

45. raoul

raoul

Hola Barritico,

Which version do you use? Shift + Z should work fine for recent versions. Does the Scene View window have focus?

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. Barritico

Barritico

Unity 2019.2.9f1
    EasyRoads3D v3.1.8f2

I can make the selection of several brands with the SHIFT + CLICK combination but on roads with 90 brands it is very tedious.

Yes, I have the scene with the focus and the selected road.

Shift + Z selects all the SEGMENTS of a marker, but not all the markers of the road.

Marcadores.png

47. raoul

raoul

Shape node selection is active (the N key) in your scene. In that state SHIFT + Z will indeed select all marker shape nodes. If you toggle off shape Node selection (the N key again), SHIFT + Z will select all markers.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Barritico and JBR-games like this.
  48. Barritico

Barritico

Perfect. Thanks and sorry

raoul likes this.
  49. econt

econt

Hi,
    I have a view questions:
    a) how can I do a road with the same ground texture on the left and right sight of the outer lanes?
    b) how could I add Parking slots like on the screenshot?
    c) It would be helpfull when the textures would be also available seperatly lanes and tar. I could not find them in the assets so far. - Are they delivered with the package or could they be added in the future with an update?
    upload_2019-11-1_15-35-42.png
    Thanks in Advance!

50. raoul

raoul

Hi econt,

Do you mean a ground texture on the left and right of the road that you do not want to be part of the road texture / mesh? There are two ways to do that:

1) Create a new side object, a Shape type of side object will work fine for this. Assign the ground material to the material slot and position it relative to the left and right of the road sides.

2) If the ground material / texture is also used on the terrain object, then this texture can be used to bake the roiad shape in the terrain. The "Add Shape to Terrain Splatmap" option near the bottom in the Inspector.

Both options can be set to the road type in General Settings > Road Types. That way this will be done automatically for new roads of that type.

Are these single parking slots? The HD Roads Add On package do have similar parking slots examples. This too can be done using the side object system.This time you can create a prefab of a single parking slot. Create a new Procedural side object type and assign the prefab to the Source slot. And just like with the ground side object align it with the left and / or rightside of the road. This will auto create parking slots alongside the road.

If you have more questions about side objects in general, please ask. The free demo project (if you have the Pro version) includes a range of examples with tutorials on our website.

The HD Roads package does have tar only road types and also line marking presets as side objects. More will be available in the future. There are also various texture resources with good quality road textures.

Thanks,
    Raoul