Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

That does not look correct. Please first check the lane info settings for the road type in General Settings > Road Types.

This can be compared with the settings in the original beta package.

In beta 6 "Reset Lane Connectors" will only generate lane data between connections with roads attached. In this case it should look like this:

lane-connectors.jpg

Saving customized lane connections on prefabs in the project folder is not possible yet. This was not possible in previous versions either. For new instances lane data is auto generated between all possible connections. But this may now fail as well because it seems something is not set up correctly in your project. As mentioned above, first thing to check is the road type lane info settings.

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hello,

Got this weird case, a piece of road between 2 T intersections segments that doesn't build correctly, it goes through the ground, or actually raises the ground underneath it too much:

Before build (the ground is leveled at the same height beneath the road) :
    W_Road1.png

After building the road (even with a 0.1 raised height setting) :
    W_Road2.png

Tried playing with the following:
    - Road resolution ( 1 -> 15)
    - Follow terrain contours (on/off)
    - Terrain deformation (on/off)
    - Adding a new middle node

None were able to solve the issue. The only (ugly) solution is to manually lower the terrain after each road build.

Any hints ?

Thanks

3. raoul

raoul

Hi Jbs_GameZone,

What do the white surfaces look like (General Settings > Scene Settings > Hide White Surfaces)? Do they break through the road?

Two blue markers very close to each other are visible near the crossings on both ends, what is the purpose of that?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  4. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hi Raoul,

The 2 blue markers were indeed the issue. Somehow (can't reproduce) I've managed to link two road segments at the same time, one over another, between the 2 T intersections. Deleted them both and recreated only one (by dragging the end of first T intersection to the other), everything is fine now.

Thanks for the quick reply.

raoul likes this.
  5. swnc

swnc

Hi Raoul,

I am trying to set a side object for a marker of a road via scripting API. However, I observe that it does not set the side object for a given marker index. I am using the code on below, could you please test this code?
    Code (CSharp):
    2.        SideObject bridgePillar = roadNetwork.GetSideObjectByName("Bridge 01 Pillar");      
    3.        bridgePillar.markerActive = true;
    5.        // setting for all markers work
    6.        //road.SideObjectSetActive(bridgePillar, true);
    8.       //setting for a marker does not work
    9.        road.SideObjectMarkerSetActive(bridgePillar, markerIndex, true);
    Best,
    swnc

6. raoul

raoul

Hi swnc,

The part that is missing is activating the side object for the road.

// setting for all markers work
    //road.SideObjectSetActive(bridgePillar, true);

The above line is required. "setting for all markers work", Does that mean that will generate the pillars along the full road? In that case what is the status of "Default active state for each marker" in the Side Object Manager for this side object? It should be off.

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. swnc

swnc

Hi Raoul,
    Hi Raoul,

indeed, it does generate the pillars along the full road. I am not sure how can I check the "Default active state for each marker" but if you are asking if they are all active then yes because i set them active at this line: bridgePillar.markerActive = true;
    Also, setting "no terrain deformation" for each marker is not possible via scripting API although you can set them via the editor. Can you please add that functionality?

Best,
    swnc

8. raoul

raoul

Yes, sorry that line "bridgePillar.markerActive = true;" does indeed override the "Default active state for each marker" state in the Side Object manager. You want to set it to false for bridge type of side objects. And instead only activate it for markers where the bridge(s) should be build.

"no terrain deformation" can be added, but in this case it should not be required assuming you are using the same side object settings as the bridge example side objects in the demo package. By marking the side object as a bridge side object terrain deformation will automatically be switched off. Thinking of that, this side object API code was only added recently. It could very well be that this bridge / terrain deformation part is handled in editor scripts, meaning it will not be part of the runtime scripting API code. I will double check that.

Thanks,
    Raoul

[EDIT] terrain deformation for markers with bridges is indeed currently not auto adjusted when activating bridge side objects through the scripting API. This is fixed in the next update. Terrain deformation control for markers by itself can already be done:

ERRoad.SetTerrainDeformation(int markerIndex, bool value)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    swnc likes this.
  9. marcrem

marcrem

So I made sure to press the "reset" button. However, here's what happens. Here you can see it's not adding VS Mask Lines to all roads.
    step_1.png

Now if I select a road that doesn't have a a mask line on the scene, it does not have the component either, not surprised.

So I cheked the road type settings of a road with mask lines missing and here's what I have:
    step_2_dirt_road.png

I tried pressing the Update Scene Instances button, but it doesn't work.

Alternatively, can I access the road's coordinates by script? I mean I could add them from an external script.

EDIT: When clicking a dot to edit a road in ER3D on a road that doesn't have the line, if I check "Biome Mask Area" then check "Vegetation Mask Line" back again, then the line appears. I would just prefer not having to go over my 93 streets manually.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  10. raoul

raoul

Hi marcrem,

Ok, these are valid settings assuming this is the road type assigned to roads where the VS components are not added

Do you get error messages after pressing the "Reset" button? That would explain why not all roads have the VS component added.

Did you try the "Biome Mask Area" <> "Vegetation Mask Line" switch for all roads from the General Settings > Terrain Management?

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. Leniaal

Leniaal

Hello Raoul,

I have a bit of a problem with the HD roads add-on. It seems they do not work for Unity 2019 HDRP (5.7 atm). I have asked Naturemanufacture if they will be updated soon, but he says this is Andasoft's pack now. Do you have an update for me?

This is the problem:
    upload_2019-8-23_23-0-10.png

Regards,

Lenne

12. raoul

raoul

Hi Lenne,

An update with new HD and LW SRP packages is pending approval by the asset store team.

I will send you the 5.7 version tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi everyone.

I'm using easyroad with a big terrain (2x2Km) and the edit more is painfully slow. It runs at 0.5 FPS and losing selections is common. It appears that moving road markers reprocess the white terrain preview around which I don't need.

Is there anyway I can disable that behavior? I can't find anything doing that.

According to your manual, holding shift should do that but this seems obsolete, it adds a new marker. Also, I'd like to disable it for the whole session and only process surround terrain once I'm done.

Thanks.

14. raoul

raoul

Hi Marc-Saubion,

These white surfaces, visible in Edit mode and indicating how the terrain will be adjusted, can be disabled here: General Settings > Scene Settings > Hide White Surfaces

I am not sure though if that is causing the slow down. Do you see the same slow down happening when adding markers / moving markers in the demo scene?

Where did you read about the Shift key in this context? Shift + Click with a road selected indeed adds new markers.

What exactly would you like to disable for the whole session? "process surround terrain" sounds like updating the terrain to the road network shape. This is done through the middle Mountain Tab in the Inspector toolbar, the "Build terrain(s)" button, only when you chose to do that.

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hello,

Is there a way to tell a T Intersection straight side to seamlessly continue the side object between the 2 pieces of roads it connects ? In my case a side barrier ( single prefab edited with the embedded mesh editor for start / middle / end sections).

X_ROADS_STR.png

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  16. raoul

raoul

Hi Jbs_GameZone,

Side Objects are currently not supported on crossing objects like a T Intersection. This will be the case in v3.3 which includes an upgrade of the side object system. Meanwhile they can be added as props to the actual source Connection prefab in the project folder.

Or probably better in this case, usually barriers like in your image are not used along the full track. What could be done is start / end these barriers somewhere on a straight section at a distance from the T Intersection. Then create a new "road" in the "Add New Road / Object" and mark it as "side object" in the setting options, no road will be created. Activate the barrier side object for this object in the Side Object settings after adding some markers. This will only create the barrier for this object. The spline shape.can include part of the sections on the roads where the barriers were removed also passing the T Intersection.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Jbs_GameZone likes this.
  17. marcrem

marcrem

I will try this, thanks! And no I wasn't getting any error :/ But I remember vaguely getting an error when I tried disabling the vegetation mask lines once, for whatever reason. It popped the array index out of range error when trying to remove them. But it's so vague in what I could remember that you shouldn't take that seriously.

Thanks for your help!

18. raoul

raoul

Hi marcrem,

I meant that more with regard to pressing the Refresh button. Errors during the refresh process will interrupt the refresh of all roads.

Thanks,
    Raoul

19. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

At 7.50 am EST I was attempting to get to your site (to get latest beta) and I am getting; "This site can’t be reached" from Chrome. I also tried Firefox and Edge, so I believe your site may be having an issue.

I thought you'd want to know.

20. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

Yes, we noticed issues this morning, dns problems. But it is back live for the last 4 hours or so. Thank you very much though for letting us know!

Raoul

21. PhilipZ0

PhilipZ0

I have a question about runtime manipulation of the road markers. I have finalized the build of the road network, but I want to change roadMarker at the end of the road while playing, is this possible?

I am having null pointers or empty getRoads() call that worked before the finalization of the roadNetwork.

// Save first roadSegment
    _road = _roadNetwork.GetRoads()[0];
    _road = _roadNetwork.GetRoadByName("HighwayRoadBothWays 001");

Maybe there is other way to acces the lastMarker of the road ? Thank you!

22. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Just so you know it's still not up here, but DNS entries can take hours. Just so you know.

No response necessary.

23. raoul

raoul

Can you try clearing the cache, cookies? As soon as we noticed the problem we got in touch with our hosting company, they fixed it during the live chat session. Indeed no immediate change in the browser that was open, but without clearing anything I tested on mobile with a browser that is never used, the website loaded instantly. Meanwhile the website loads in all browsers on all devices over here.

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. raoul

raoul

Hi PhilipZ0,

Do you mean the "Finalize" options in the editor or ERRoadNetwork.FinalizeObjects()?

This removes all EasyRoads3D script components. It is permanent. This should only be used just before doing final builds and only when no runtime functionality is required. And in that case, it is also recommended to keep a backup of the road network, just in case you want to make changes at a later stage.

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. PhilipZ0

PhilipZ0

I meant clicking button "Finalize" under RoadNetwork build terrain tab.

If I understand it right, if I want to have minimal loading of unused assets and still have the ability to change roadMarkers in play mode (exported version) then I need to do this:

What happens now is that Unity will include all the assets in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/ because of the runtime features of EasyRoads3D.

If you don't want that, a quick fix in the current situation, for the final build is to temporarily rename this Resources folder to something else, like "Resources_Temp". Then build the project and afterwards change the name back to "Resources".

26. raoul

raoul

PhilipZ0,

Can you explain more what you want to be able to at runtime? Changing road markers is possible with the Resources folder being renamed. "Finalize" is not required for that and should be avoided but the road network needs to be cleaned up. Unused side objects, road types should ideally be removed in that case.

Runtime functionality means that it is expected that unused assets in a road network must be available. If that is not the case, and the road network is not Finalized, then they must be removed if you do not want to include them in the build.

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

I have tried the following:
    • Reboot computer
    • Laptop and desktop
    • IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
    • Public and Incognito
    I am in New York City, and the DNS servers may be just taking some time. This is not a rush for me, I can get the update tomorrow or whenever. I will keep checking and let you know when I see a change. If there are any other items you want me to check, just ask.

28. raoul

raoul

I have been checking the website all day since tomorrow, it does load over here. Let's see if this works for you later. I can always send a beta download link from one of our other servers.

Thanks,
    Raoul

29. Cross_Roads_AMP

Cross_Roads_AMP

Hi everyone, using the current version of EasyRoads, is there a detailed breakdown anywhere on creating tunnel networks? I'm newer to Unity and the asset itself, which makes following the directions in post #6266 a little hard to follow. The unityterraintools website itself is also unresponsive at the moment. I don't need to create any intersections within the tunnels themselves either. I appreciate any help and clarification on the subject!

30. raoul

raoul

Hi KoingWolf,

Two things are involved with tunnels. Creating the actual tunnel and creating holes in the terrain. There are third party tools that can create holes based on custom shaders. Integrated support for that was never added to EasyRoads3D. This is going to change in Unity 2019.3, which most likely will support holes in the unity terrain object. Direct support will be integrated in EasyRoads3D.

The tunnel part is already possible, it can be done using side objects. This can be Shape type of side objects, with the Shape of the tunnel defined in the integrated Shape editor window. This will require start / end models for the start and end of the tunnel, these can also be assigned to the side object. or this can be a procedural side object type based on an imported mesh. Examples will also follow.

JamesWjRose reported the same in the posts above yours. There were issues this morning and we contacted the hosting company, it should be resolved. The website loads well on our end. Does it still not load for you either?

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. Cross_Roads_AMP

Cross_Roads_AMP

Thank you so much for the reply and information. Look forward to more examples to study from too.

Happy to report the website is now back working as of this post.

32. raoul

raoul

The workflow for tunnels is very similar as for other objects like the guard rail, barrier, and bridge examples in the demo package. As mentioned, what will be added for tunnels is actually creating the hole in the terrain. If you have any further questions regarding this, please let me know.

Glad to hear the website does work again for you as well. Meanwhile I contacting the hosting company again. It can indeed take longer before the website is working again for everyone. The issue should be fully resolved within the next couple of hours. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. LM031

LM031

Hi Raoul

Saw the updated EasyRoads3D Pro Add On (1.2). See that it is updated to be used in combination with HDRP 6.9 (great).

I have an issue with importing the "HD Roads Presets".

The steps I followed:
    -Started a HDRP project with the latest release of Unity (2019.2.0f1). This release uses HDRP 6.9.0 by default or 6.9.1 when upgraded.
    -After starting the project I imported EasyRoads3D Pro (3.1.8.f2) completely followed by the add-on (1.2). No Issues during import.
    -Create a terrain.
    -Then starting a new Road Network.
    -Unity comes with a message if I want to backup terrain, I say no.
    -Unity comes with a message saying road type presets available. I say yes to importing them.
    -In the NatureManufacture Assets/SRP Support folder there is a package "EasyRoads Addon - HD SRP 6.9+ support pack", double click to install.
    -Then use "Import Road Types". Drop the "HD Road Presets" in the Import Road Types window that popped up.

When I do this I get a popup window saying Import Error "This Prefab does not have valid Road Type Data"
    Same issue when I try to Import Side Object.

I already tried without success:
    -Delete the add-on from the packages folder and download it again from the asset store
    -Saving the project and restart Unity.
    -Also Importing the Demo project.
    -Import the HDRP Road Asset before opening the SRP support pack.
    -Create a new HDRP project.
    -Create a new 3D project (no HDRP).
    -Use Unity 2019.1.7f1
    -Use Unity 2018.3.8f1

What else can I do to get it working in 2019.2.0f1?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  34. raoul

raoul

Hi LM031,

The HD Roads update was indeed approved today.

All these steps, is the main problem importing the Road Types and Side Objects? I will double check the "HD Roads Presets" prefab tomorrow (It is about 23:30) over here.

Another way to import the road types and side objects is by opening the demo scene, select the road network and deselect it. This will add all Road Types and side objects int he demo scene to the project log. After this these road types and side objects will be available in other scenes.

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. LM031

LM031

Hi Raoul,

Yes, the main problem (up to now) seems to be the import of the HD Roads preset.

Your workaround seems to work. Thanks for that

Will continue to work with it coming days.

36. raoul

raoul

Hi LM031,

There seem to be indeed a problem with the HD Road Presets asset in the new package. This will be fixed

If anyone else is having this problem, please follow the alternative way to add the presets to the project:

1) Open the Demo Scene
    2) Select and Deselect the road network object

This will trigger the project road type and side object data to be updated with all road types and side objects in the demo scene.

Thanks,
    Raoul

LM031 likes this.
  37. LM031

LM031

How would you approach parking?
    For example the road can have a side object parking. However this is limited to roads only and on one side of the road only. So what do you do when you want it on both sides of the road and also on the edge of a T-crossing?
    And what would you do with big parking lots (like at a shopping mall)?

38. raoul

raoul

I will double check the parking side object. If this is currently indeed only available on one side of the road, then this side object can be duplicated in the Side Object Manager. In the mesh editor window it can be mirrored. The same for X Position and other settings.

Side Objects are currently not supported on crossing objects, that will follow in v3.3. Meanwhile the parking prefab could be added as a child to the edge of T Crossing if it is required on all T Crossings.

Customizable parking lots is on the to do list. At the moment they can be modeled and imported in the system as a custom connection prefab so roads can connect.

Thanks,
    Raoul

JBR-games and LM031 like this.
  39. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

FYI: It's fine this morning.

Have a wonderful day

JBR-games and raoul like this.
  40. argh6543

argh6543

I've been working on a new level off and on for the last week. As the last step I added the roads but I now can't build the terrain.

The error I get is
    EasyRoads3Dv3: Updating the heightmap of terrain Terrain failed, please report with details!
    Additional info: 205 441 0 332 78352

Unity 2019.2.2f1. Latest EasyRoads3D from asset store but 3.2b6 gives me the same error. The terrain is built using the Unity terrain editor with current Vegetation Studio Pro for textures and vegetation. Aquas for water.
    It's the only terrain in the project, 1000x1000. Only two pieces of road, one using the NM HD roads, the other a dirt road. No intersections, no side objects. The terrain is pretty flat with the highest point at 30.

What is strange is that when I create a new scene and hack together a terrain in 30 seconds, apply the same vegetation package, aquas, and then build a road, everything works...

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  41. raoul

raoul

Hi argh6543,

Your setup sounds standard which makes it hard to give direct feedback. Can you backup the scene first, then remove one road and try to build the terrain. If that does work, go back to Edit Mode and reload the scene without saving it (or Undo until the deleted road is back), remove the other road and build the road network. Does that still fail? This will show if one of the roads is causing the problem.

Or perhaps something is locking the terrain object. You could try removing it and then drop the same terrain back in the scene from the project folder.

With regard to the numbers in the error message, what are the terrain specs, especially the heightmap resolution?

If you want you can email us a link to the project (terrain and road network only if you want) so we can look at it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. Thendon

Thendon

Hey raoul,

I ve got 2 questions for you.

1. The slope off the indent to the surrounding always comes off like a curved shape but we ld prefere a more linear shape. Is there some setting I ve missed?

2. We have the situations of multiple deformers interfering with each other which generally works fine but it seems that it caused some glitchy edges over here. Any idea how we could avoid this to happen?

Have a nice day!
    ~Thendon

43. raoul

raoul

Hi Thendon,

1) To achieve that the Surrounding value, the distance over which the road height will level with the original terrain height must cover multiple terrain points. This can be calculated, terrain size / heightmap resolution. This is the distance between terrain points. The more points inside the surrounding distance, the more control over smoothing. Then in Build Mode there are Smoothness options for the edges.

2) What exactly is involved here? Are these roads or side objects used to deform the terrain in a certain way? It is for example possible to bake specific "deformers" that way the other deformers can be adjusted first to the new terrain heights. This option is activated in General Settings > Scene Settings > Enable Back to Edit Mode Without terrain Restore. This option is not be default available because it will make the terrain changes permanent so it is something to be careful with. But it is perhaps useful in your situation in a way that it can bake only the current selection of objects and make that permanent.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  44. Thendon

Thendon

Hey raoul,

1) At that spot there should be around 12 points to work with. I could not find the smoothness option for the edges in build mode (I m working with the beta version if that's important). To be clear I ll post another screenshot, I ld like to have those linear height changes as it's previewed on the left side.

2) Thats a perfect solution for my issue, thanks!

Greetings
    Thendon

45. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

I'm using v3.2 and do not see how to create/add sidewalks. I see a few posts where you mention sidewalks are changing. Is any of this in the current beta? (am I blind?)

Thanks,
    James

46. raoul

raoul

Hi Thendon,

1) Sorry, I miss read your post assuming you were looking for more smoothness near the edges. What is the value of "Preserve Terrain Contours" in Build Mode? When this is 0 (slider all the way to the right) it should be lineair, exactly matching the shape on the left in your image.

2) Glad that worked for you! And always nice to see the tool being used for more then building the roads with side objects only :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

Side objects as in v3.1 are available in the v3.2 beta, but not on the new v3.2 Flex Connector. This is what requires changes and what is being worked on at the moment. These changes are not yet part of the current v3.2 beta.

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

You mean "Side WALKS", right?

And, if so, ok. Let me know if there is anything you need from me.

Enjoy your weekend

49. RsMeta

RsMeta

Hi,

I want to scale dynamic prefab, so I unticked "Lock Scale" on the "Default X Crossing" options.
    But, after I extrude a road from it, road scale is adapted to scale 1/1/1 (default size of the defualt x crossing).
    How can I increase the size of "X Default Crossing" and the extruded road from it?

Thanks.

problem.png

50. raoul

raoul

Yes, Sidewalks :)

The will be several new features regarding this. Because several people are waiting for this, the focus at the moment is on implementing the scene view functionality and make this operational but with limited options in the first release. For the final v3.2 , if you have any specific requests that is currently not possible with v3.1 sidewalks, requests are always welcome.

Have a good weekend to!

Thanks,
    Raoul