Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi D4N005H,

I just tested creating a new Custom Prefab in the Custom Prefab Editor with the road network in Build Mode. This worked well without errors. I went to 10 pages back in this thread but I cannot find the original post related to the Custom prefab editor. What exactly was the problem?

Regarding showing available prefabs as thumbnails, this uses the Unity API, GetAssetPreview() and was updated in a recent release. It should refresh the thumbnails when prefabs are added or when a thumbnail does not exist. And it should be able to display a lot more then 13 prefabs. For example, the Custom prefab I added above does display with a thumbnail. This is in the dev project which includes about 70 custom prefabs.

Do you do scripting? just as a test, can you try clearing the dynamicPrefabPreview and customPrefabPreview arrays in the ERModularBase script attached to the main road network object. And afterwards open the Connections Prefabs tab?

Which version of Unity do you use?

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. imDanOush

imDanOush

It was on page 127 or somewhere, that is okay though. It works well now.
    Regards to the other issue, That is also okay now just removed some of the unnecessary connection prefabs and it works like a charm. :)

Thanks,
    Regards.

3. raoul

raoul

Glad to hear that. For the next update a refresh button is added anyway, just in case there are issues with these prefab thumbnails.

Thanks,
    Raoul

imDanOush likes this.
  4. Silveralby

Silveralby

Hi does anyone know if the "curb" side object of easyroad3D can be enlarged in size? thank's

5. raoul

raoul

Hi Silveralby,

Which side object is this? Is this the curb in the HD Roads package?

In that case, this is a procedural side object based on a source prefab in the project folder. An easy way to find it is to open the side object manager (2nd tab from the left in the Inspector), open the Props tab and select the specific side object from the Side Object dropdown. Then select the object in the Source Prefab slot, it will point to the prefab in the project folder. In this folder select the "curb2", this is the actual model, scale up the Scale factor in the Inspector. Afterwards remove and reassign the prefab "road_curb v2" to the Source Object slot in the side object manager. That should do it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. Silveralby

Silveralby

Hi Raoul. thank's for the reply. This is the curb but there is no way to enlarge it in the settings. It seems to me a little too strict with respect to reality but I would not like the regulation to be there by default and I can't find it. However, I will follow your procedure so you can post pictures about what you explained? Thank's

Cattura.JPG

7. raoul

raoul

Hi Silveralby,

That looks like the older v2 side object? Which packages do you have imported? The race track curb in the current v3 demo looks different.

curb.jpg

I belief the v2 side object was a shape type of side object, the shape can be edited / enlarged in the shape editor window.

In general, the side object system is a framework, all provided side objects are only examples. You can create your own side objects and side object examples can be edited. In this case for example, a curb on a cart track will be smaller then a curb on a formula 1 race track.

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, please, I wonder if there is some way to select ALL the markers from a road, I mean that if I have a big road that has around 30 markers, is there a possible way to select all 30 without having to select them one by one?

I want to move a big road I made, and the only way to move it, is by selecting ALL the markers, and there are lots of markers, and they are very small to see them, so is not easy to select them one by one, and would be really very tiresome and awkward to do it one by one.

thanks very much for any possible help

best wishes

9. raoul

raoul

Hi SpaceRay,

Shift + Z, after selecting the first marker, does that.

http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/shortcuts.html

The size of marker handles can be adjusted in General Settings > Scene Settings

Thanks,
    Raoul

10. Silveralby

Silveralby

I would like to change the example curb to make it more similar to yours in the image, only if it's too complicated to do it's a problem because I'm a beginner.

11. raoul

raoul

It is still not clear which curb you use, which package is this?

The one in the image in my previous post is part of the additional demo package. This package is free when logged in with the account used to get EasyRoads3D Pro.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/easyroads3d-demo-project-105045

This demo scene includes featured zones with links to more info on our website. In this case:

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/race_track.php#curbs

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. Silveralby

Silveralby

Raoul thanks for the suggestions. I modified the obj of the curb and now it's wider.

raoul likes this.
  13. Silveralby

Silveralby

Hi Raoul If I wanted to create a side object, can I import it into easyroad? If possible, is there a tutorial? Thank's

14. raoul

raoul

Hi Silveralby,

The side object system is a framework with different options. What type of side object do you want to make?

The demo package I mentioned yesterday includes a wide range of different examples with tutorial links on our website explaining the setup and how they are used in the scene.

Importing a model into EasyRoads3D to be used as a side object is a matter of assigning it to the "Source Object" slot in the Side Object Manager.

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. Silveralby

Silveralby

I don't know if you can see but a fence of this kind with the wire above.

9c925e0e661ab5eab4d6f649e6937be057729e4080340_w630.jpg

16. raoul

raoul

That does look similar to one of the fences in the demo package

It is a procedural side object based on an imported model. A distinctive top part can be added to the source model. Just make sure that when more then one material is involved, the mesh objects are separate child objects rather then submeshes. Preserving different materials on submeshes is not supported at the moment, that will be added in 3.3.

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. Silveralby

Silveralby

Excellent I hope it can also be of help to those like me who like to add objects and easyroad allows it. Thank's

raoul likes this.
  18. raoul

raoul

Experimenting with the different side object settings and options will help getting an idea of what is possible, how this system can be used.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

19. raoul

raoul

V3.2 beta 5 is available on our website

This is a small update with, among others, fixes for possible black triangles on the new Flex Connector due to wrong tangent data and pulling out new roads from crossings and other roads which was not working well in beta 4

https://www.unityterraintools.com/v3beta.php

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    JamesWjRose likes this.
  20. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I will be giving this a try later today. Have a great weekend

raoul likes this.
  21. marcrem

marcrem

Hi Raoul,

1. How do I make a dynamic connection compatible with a road type?
    2. How do I make a connection match the size of a road?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  22. marcrem

marcrem

Also where do I find my serial number to have acces tp the betas?

23. raoul

raoul

Hi marcrem,

The connections of a dynamic prefab are customizable. It is very much recommended to assign a road type to the connections. That way they will auto adjust after road types changes. There is a button "Create New Connection Prefab" in General Settings > Road Types. This will generate a new prefab based on the selected road type.

The new Flex Connector in V3.2 will be generated automatically based on the involved road types.

Can you send an email or PM with your asset store invoice number, we will register you for beta access.

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. nmbileg

nmbileg

Thank you! You're the MVP!

25. lynx89_

lynx89_

You're welcome :)
    Now I also have figured out that you can keep that mip maps toggle on and adjust the "Mip Bias" value (typically by setting a negative value) according to your needs. To do this, make sure you enable the debug mode in the inspector, otherwise that field won't be visible.
    With this method you can gain a little performance boost compared to fully disablying the mip maps.

nmbileg likes this.
  26. NukeEnjoyer

NukeEnjoyer

Hi raoul,

how to change indent and surrounding value to 1?
    i am using Pro v3 3.1.5.

27. LoDiCS

LoDiCS

Hello raoul.

I created the Y intersection using custom prefab.

Does the custom prefab not change according to the width of the road, like the dynamic prefab?

I want to visualize it using road GIS data, and roads have different widths.

28. raoul

raoul

Hi Barikli,

The Indent values require a minimum value based on your terrains heightmapscale (size vs heightmap resolution). This minimum values is needed so there are enough terrain points available and guarantee the best possible terrain deformation matching the road shape. What are your terrain specs and what is the lowest Indent value in your scene?

There is no limitation for the Surrounding values, you should be able to set that to 1 regardless the terrains heightmapscale.

Thanks,
    Raoul

29. raoul

raoul

Hi Unity_LoDiCS,

Custom prefabs are based on the imported mesh. They will indeed not update to the width of connected roads. The idea behind the custom Connection system is to make it possible for artists to create their own intersection / connection meshes and use them within the system. In that scenario the width of the connections will probably already match that of the roads that will connect.

The new v3.2 Flex Connector can be used for Y crossings with flexible angles and will be build based on the involved road types. v3.2 is available in betas on our website.

Thanks,
    Raoul

30. LoDiCS

LoDiCS

Thanks raoul.

I want to create a Y-intersection of different widths. However, the dynamic prefab cannot create the Y intersection at runtime.

Is there any solution in this case?

31. raoul

raoul

Different widths, does this involve two different road types or three?

The new Flex Connector is indeed not yet available at runtime, but it can be added. Have you tested it in the Unity editor just to see if it does what you need? In that case I will make a note to update the scripting API for the next beta and add an option to turn a crossing into a Flex Connector.

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. raoul

raoul

First of all please have a look at the new road type options. Nodes can be added that define outer line markings. This will be used on crossings and will deal with the ugly line shape at the road edges in the corners in your images. The Default road type in the beta demo scene can be used as a reference.

Regarding the connection breaking, do you get error messages? Does the same happen in the demo scene? This bit should be fairly stable but it looks like the road type is not fully 3.2 ready. Which beta are you using?

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. LoDiCS

LoDiCS

I use Easyrods3D v3.2b5.

This error message appears when I edit the intersection.

Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgumentResource resource) (at <ac823e2b42b42b4679a453>
    System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (at <ac823e2b42b41bda67924a0173c3>:0)
    System.Collections.Generic.List'1[T].get_Item (System.Int32 index) (at <ac823e2b42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERCrossings.ODOOCQCDQC (System.Boolean rebuildRoads) (at <5a923e59458f4b1086bcff3bca06d3>:0)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERCrossings.OCOODOOQOD (System.Boolean sidewallkSceneHandleFlag, System.Boolean rebuildRoads) (at [5a923e59458f4b10ccp3c03d)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERCrossings.Refresh (at <5a923e5458f4b1086cff3bca06d3>:0)

I'll try the new road type options.
    Thanks raoul. :)

34. raoul

raoul

Similar errors were raised in beta 5 when pulling out new roads from an existing Flex Connector or from another road. This is fixed in beta 6 which was released last week.

Using beta 6, I just tested similar steps:

1. Add a T crossing and connect roads
    2. Turn it into a Flex Connector in the Inspector
    3. Move the crossing

The crossing and attached roads update without errors. Could you try beta 6?

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. LoDiCS

LoDiCS

Thank you for your answer, Raoul.

But I can't find Beta 6.

The latest version of the homepage is v3.2.b5.

version3.2.b5.png

36. raoul

raoul

Ah, sorry beta 6 is indeed not available yet.

Can you reproduce the same problem using the steps in my previous posts? In that case the problem is perhaps related to creating the crossing and roads through the scripting API.

Or, is the road in your image the original Primary road type in the demo package or did you create this road type using the same material? In that case, was this road type create using v3.1 or the 3.2 beta?

The question in your last post is relevant for X, T crossings, it is not used for the Flex Connector.

The alignment status in your screenshot is Off. The handle would be white and larger if it would be on. Or is it indeed toggled on after attaching the crossing through a script? What code do you use? For example:

ConnectToStart(ERConnection connectionObject, int connectionIndex, bool autoAlign)

autoAlign will toggle this option on.

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. 40detectives

40detectives

I've been searching a bit with no success, so I'll try to ask here:

Is there anyway to calculate the best route/path of a road? If you have played some racing games you probably have seen them showing the best line you could follow in a given road to do the best trajectory.

If not something inside EasyRoads3D maybe some ideas to help calculate it?

38. raoul

raoul

Hi Unity_LoDiCS,

In the first image the outer line markings are still not smooth. I guess this is not using the v3.2 road type options that control this?

The second image appears to be a standard T Crossing or perhaps a Flex Connector that was repositioned / rotated at runtime? Flex Connectors are not yet supported through the scripting API.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. raoul

raoul

Hi 40detectives,

That is not inside EasyRoads3D. The tool is primarily a road creation tool, but with the AI options expanding in v3.2 something like this will also be added at some point. There must be resources available related to this both in general and Unity related. Have you searched on "racing AI" or something like that?

Thanks,
    Raoul

40. NukeEnjoyer

NukeEnjoyer

My Minimum indent and surrounding values are 5.

heightmap resolution 513.
    terrain width and height are 250.

when i changed heightmap resolution to 33, the minimum indent values increase to 11, so i changed heightmap to higher value but it's still always 11.

i am trying to make supercross track.
    can u help me how should i do to make the minimum indent values to 1?

thanks.

41. KeithVRMC

KeithVRMC

Hi @raoul, can you check you PM for a question I have for you?

42. raoul

raoul

Hi Barikli,

Heightmap resolution 513 and terrain width / height 250 should result in a fairly small minimum required Indent value. Are you perhaps looking at these values in the road type settings?

General Settings > Scene Settings > Default Indent

When entering 0 it will be set to the minimum required indent value, that should be somewhere between 0.5 and 1 with your terrain settings. When starting new road objects the Default Indent will be used.

Thanks,
    Raoul

43. raoul

raoul

Hi Keith,

I just replied to your email.

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. SamBillingsley

SamBillingsley

I need to add a 1.5 meter grass strip between my curb and the sidewalk. What would be the best way to accomplish this, side objects, custom connectors, or something else?
    Thanks,
    -Sam

45. raoul

raoul

Hi Sam,

Easiest is probably to have the grass strip part of the sidewalk material. Custom connectors will give most control over the shape of the sidewalk and grass strip on crossings. Adding the grass strip as a side object is a good option if the grass strip will only be part of road sections, not on crossings.

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. LoDiCS

LoDiCS

Raoul, you're right.

After changing to flex connector, I moved the intersection during runtime.

And I think I did wrong on 3.2 road type. I'll watch the tutorial once again and work.

47. NukeEnjoyer

NukeEnjoyer

General Settings > Scene Settings > Default Indent.
    this is the best way to solve my problem.

Thank you so much.

raoul likes this.
  48. raoul

raoul

Hi Unity_LoDiCS,

I will test this and make the new Flex Connector ready for the scripting API as well, including an option similar as the "Flex Connector" checkbox in the Inspector. This will be part of the next 3.2 beta.

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. DRRosen3

DRRosen3

It seems the "Add Shape to Terrain Splatmap" doesn't work properly. I've played with the values in all possible ways and combinations, and in no instance does the road ever properly "blend" its edges with the pre-existing terrain splatmap texture.

50. raoul

raoul

Hello DRRosen3,

Just to be sure, the splatmaps are updated in Build Mode, are you looking at this in Build Mode? In that case, before switching to Build Mode, is "Update Terrain Splatmaps" in the Build settings toggled on?

Thanks,
    Raoul