Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi Billy,

Indeed the sidewalk status on roads is currently managed through the involved crossings. This will change in v3.2, there will be a new sidewalk section in the General Settings tab, optionally the default sidewalk preset can be assigned for each road type and sidewalks can be toggled on/off for individual roads.

Meanwhile, if you will definitely not use crossings or only use one road type, then you could consider making the sidewalks part of the road shape. The latest v3.2 beta includes improvements for custom road shapes. The below post shows an example of this.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/eas...-new-road-system.229327/page-130#post-4334707

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. lynx89_

lynx89_

Hello, thank you for this great asset!
    Everything works fine but I have a little problem regarding the road textures loading in my android build.
    The road lines just load correctly when i am too close, and i'd like to increase the distance quite a bit but i can't figure out how.
    Here is a picture to explain better what i mean:

It's just an Android issue, it works fine even in the Unity Editor. I believe it's something related to the quality settings menu...
    Any idea?

3. raoul

raoul

Hello paoloarnolfo00,

Glad to hear everything works. Regarding the texture quality, can you select the specific texture in the project folder and look in the Inspector for "Aniso Level". Increasing this value will result in better quality further away.

Thanks,
    Raoul

JBR-games likes this.
  4. lynx89_

lynx89_

Sorry to bother you again, but I tried that and I still get the same issue.
    Here is a picture of what I have changed (it was 12 before):

I don't think the graphic has improved, and I am sure I am editing the texture of that road...
    It still works fine in the editor, it's just a problem related to the android build...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  5. raoul

raoul

In that case, could this be quality settings related?

Thanks,
    Raoul

JBR-games likes this.
  6. Linkabout

Linkabout

Hello Raoul,
    quick question about that. I got a huge folder [PROJECTNAME]\EasyRoads3Dv3, is it safe to delete it sometimes to clear backup ?

7. Walton

Walton

Hi Raoul
    Is there anyway to scale a side object to make it wider?? e.g a Path Path Size.jpg

8. raoul

raoul

Hi Linkabout,

Whenever a new terrain object is found you will be asked if you want to backup the terrain data, this is for extra safety. [PROJECTNAME]\EasyRoads3Dv3 is where this data is stored with references to the unique terrain ID.

As mentioned these backups are for extra safety, they are not required. If you want you can remove these folder. Each terrain in the scene has an ERTerrain component added, this is where you can update/save the backup at any time for each terrain. The same can be done for all terrains in the scene in "General Settings > Terrain Management".

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. raoul

raoul

Hi Walton,

This looks like one of the side objects from the HD Roads package. This particular side object is based on a source mesh. To make it wider, the source mesh can be scaled up in the Import settings for this object in the project folder. Re assigning it afterwards as the Source mesh for this side object in the Side Object Manager will update the side object itself. The tricky part here is that the matching sidewalks on crossings are not added as side objects, these are childs of the main crossing object. They will have to be scaled up as well if crossings with the same sidewalks are used.

Or do you want to use this as a path? In that case the new v3.2 option for custom road shapes might be useful here.

Thanks,
    Raoul

10. Walton

Walton

Hi raoul

Thankyou for the answer.. i can use the v3.2 custom road shape no problem... When will 3.2 be availble

11. raoul

raoul

V3.2 is available in betas on our website. This part, built-in support for custom road shapes, is available in the current beta. Please send an email or PM with your invoice number if you like to try it out.

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. Walton

Walton

raoul did what you said and scaled it up in the import settings and the re-assigned it but it made no difference to the scale

13. lynx89_

lynx89_

Tried to set the "Ultra" quality and build the apk again, same result :/
    Any other idea?
    Thanks

14. xmfcx

xmfcx

Hello,
    I have bought the "EasyRoads3D Pro Add On - HD Roads" and I'm still trying to get used to its workflow.
    One thing I couldn't figure out is:
    I add a connection prefab, particularly "Asphalt_NoLines_ER_T". When I connect a road with a width I set, it doesn't adjust the crossing accordingly and I cannot change the road width of the crossing.

Any help?
    Thanks

15. raoul

raoul

Hi Walton,

How was the source mesh reassigned? Was it first removed? And what were the steps afterwards? Did you create a new object? Just in case, for existing objects in the scene "Update Active Scene Instances" near the bottom needs to be pressed.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. raoul

raoul

Hi paoloarnolfo00,

This is more texture, material, Unity build project settings related.

What are the actual quality settings, Anisotropic Textures?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  17. raoul

raoul

Hello xmfcx,

The crossing in the image is from the HD Roads package. These prefabs use a specific mesh setup with vertex colors, there for it is using the custom prefab connection system which is based on imported models.

This type of prefab does not auto update to road type settings like the built-in dynamic prefabs do. To have it match the new road width, it must be scaled like ordinary unity prefabs after selecting them in the hierarchy. If this scaling should be always be used then the source prefab in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom prefabs/ can be scaled accordingly. All new instances will use this new scale.

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. lynx89_

lynx89_

Hi again, I have been trying to figure it out for a while now but still nothing.

STEPS TO REPLICATE (Tested with Unity 2018.3.0f2 Personal):

1) Create a new empty project
    2) Add a terrain (Without changing any terrain setting)
    3) Import EasyRoads3D Pro
    4) Create a road (Doesn't matter which one)
    5) Change the build settings so it builds for android
    6) Run the apk, you will see from the main camera that the road texture quality becomes pretty bad even at close distances.

I tried to google one of your previous suggestions (Changing the "Aniso" level) and I found some other guys that were having my same problem (even from EasyRoads3D v2) but none of them managed to fix this issue.

What I have tried to solve this:
    - Changed many road shaders' settings (including shader type, emission, gpu instancing and reflections)
    - Project settings -> Graphics -> Set any tier settings to the highest quality
    - Building when the road network was in edit mode, non-edit mode and finalized; nothing helped
    - Trying to change some camera settings (Occlusion culling, hrd, clipping planes, field of view)
    - Deleting the terrain while keeping the finalized road, still the same issue
    - Changing some terrain quality settings

If you could check it out that would be great. I am sorry to bother you but I believe this is a pretty serious issue that should be "fixed" (which may not be the most appropriate word since I still believe that it's just a setting) considering that there must be many android developers using/willing to use this asset at its full potential.

Thank you so much for your help, hoping to get this addressed as fast as possible :)

EDIT: I have just tried to disable the antisptropic textures completly (Project settings->Quality->Rendering->Anti Aliasing) but that didn't help at all. I am starting to think that this is not related to the any aniso setting at all?

EDIT x2: SOLVED!
    This issue was caused by the "Mip Maps" generation. To fix it go to the road texture->Advanced->Generate Mip maps and disable it or change its settings according to your needs.

19. raoul

raoul

Glad to hear you managed to resolve this. Just in case, you do mention "Project settings->Quality->Rendering->Anti Aliasing" but I think it is not mentioned what the Anisotropic Textures dropdown value is.

I am not sure if completely disabling mipmapping is an option here.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ImportingTextures.html

In any case, "I believe this is a pretty serious issue that should be "fixed"", it is not EasyRoads3D core (generating the road and crossing meshes) related :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  20. LoDiCS

LoDiCS

Hello Raoul

I am currently using the runtime API.

I'd like to create a Y-shaped intersection.
    When can Flex Connector be used as a script?

Thanks

21. Walton

Walton

Hi raoul
    Thanks very much for your support i got the path to work by creating a new copy of the prefab and then created a new side object that it.. Path Size 2.jpg

raoul likes this.
  22. raoul

raoul

Hi Unity_LoDiCS,

The Flex Connector is indeed not yet supported in the scripting API. Currently there are two ways to add a Flex Connector in the Unity editor.

1) Add a standard X or T Crossing, connect roads and turn the crossing into a Flex Connector.
    2) By starting new road branches from an existing roads

The second option requires more thought/work for scripting API implementation. The first option can be added for the next update, it will involve the same workflow.

Thanks,
    Raoul

23. LoDiCS

LoDiCS

Thanks raoul.

Another question.

Can I use the user prefab to create an Y intersection?

24. raoul

raoul

Do you mean an external Y crossing model? That is possible. The prefab can be imported in the system, afterwards roads can connect just like with built-in crossings.

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. johnny77lee

johnny77lee

Hi ,
    I have some question about the feature "Import Open Street Map file" of EasyRoad :
    1. How to define the Terrain Width/Length to meet my osm file ?
    2. If I Select an area at the open street map and It have some bridge & Roads , after I export to osm file and import it to a scene . Is it possible to see the road & bridge in the Scene?

Thanks

26. swnc

swnc

Hi Raoul,

I am trying to create roads using scripting API and to receive the lane data information( I assigned the existing road type on to the created road via scripting API). However, lane data information is not being created for the road. Is it possible to receive lane data information without using the editor? When I assign the road type on the editor, the road has the lane data, however when it is assigned using scripting API, road.laneData.Count is zero, so I do not receive the lane information. Here is the code:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. //road network is created via scripting, so there is no existing road network in the scene before
    3. roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork();
    4. roadNetwork.roadNetwork.aiTraffic = true;
    6. roadType = roadNetwork.GetRoadTypes()[0];
    7. roadType.Update();
    9. ERRoad road = roadNetwork.CreateRoad("road_1", roadType, roadMarkers);
    road.GetLaneCount() throws this log:
    EasyRoads3Dv3: no lane data available for road type 'Default Road'

So how can we create the lane data via scripting API?

I have also realized that roadNetwork.AddRoadType() returns null.
    So is there another way to add roadtypes via scripting API?

ps: I am using v3.2.b3 version of EasyRoad3D
    Best,
    swnc

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  27. raoul

raoul

Hi johnny77lee,

1. Do you create the terrain manually?

In general, the osm file does not include size info, it does include the bounds of the latitude and longitude coordinates. By default the osm data is parsed relative to these bounds. Other bounds can be entered if the terrain bounds is different. The road data can be parsed relatively to this bounds. Currently the tool does not provide info of the size of the osm bounds. This can be added, there are also quite some resources available that can be used to calculate this based on the bounds in the osm data file (near the top).

2. The road will indeed be build and will be visible. Bridges are currently not auto generated but all roads are editable after the import. Bridges can be added afterwards.

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. raoul

raoul

Hi swnc,

Access to v3.2 features like lane data for AI is provided, the v3.2 beta includes a runtime example. But generating this lane data for roads created through the scripting is not fully implemented yet.

Are you using a road network object that is already present in the scene with the road types including lane info setup already present? In that case all this may already work if AI traffic is active in "General Settings > AI Traffic", and "Display Lane Data" in "General Settings > Scene Settings" is toggled on.

Thanks,
    Raoul

29. swnc

swnc

Hi Raoul,

I was not using a road network object that is already present in the scene and when I use it I can receive the lane info but now when I add crossing with different sizes which is assigned via scripting API, the size of the crossing is not changing however when i click on the crossing object on the editor then it updates the size which is assigned in the code. So I have tested this issue (changing the size of the crossing) with a road network object that is already present in the scene and without, and I realize that this only occurs only when the road network object is already present in the scene. So to avoid this, is there an update function that i can trigger in the code?

Best,
    swnc

30. raoul

raoul

Hi swnc,

What do you mean with different sizes? What do the crossings look like?

It is recommended to work with road types on crossing prefabs, certainly when lane data is required. The crossings will be build /sized according the assigned road types.

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. swnc

swnc

Hi Raoul,

I was changing the frontRoadWidth, back.., left.. and rightRoadWidth of the crossing prefab based on the road width. It is indeed working when you assigned the respected roadType to the crossing prefabs (in the editor) but can we do this road type assignment to crossing prefab via scripting API?

Best,
    swnc

32. swnc

swnc

Hi Raoul,

I am using a road network object that is already present in the scene with the road types including lane info. AI traffic is active in "General Settings > AI Traffic", and "Display Lane Data" in "General Settings > Scene Settings" is toggled on.
    I have created roads connected to crossings via scripting API. I can receive the lane information for the roads however I do not receive the lane data of the connectors / crossings. When I click on the crossing in the editor at runtime then I do receive crossing lane data. So, is there a way to activate/load these lane data of crossing without interacting on the editor in runtime?

ps: when a road network object that is already present in the scene without roads and connections + AI Traffic and Display Lane Data is toggled on if you run the project and click on settings tab, EasyRoad3D asset throws these errors:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCDQDQDCO.OQOOQCQDDO (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OQQCQCQDQD eScr) (at <37cbcd7132584ccf96c9c700c24984d8>:0)
    3. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OQQCQCQDQD.OnInspectorGUI () (at <37cbcd7132584ccf96c9c700c24984d8>:0)
    4. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, System.Int32 editorIndex, System.Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1367)
    5. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Best,
    swnc

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  33. raoul

raoul

Hi swnc,

What do your crossings look like? Lane info is assigned to road types, the road type section has a quick "Create New Connection Prefab" option. This will generate a new source connection prefab for that road type. This source prefab with the correct road types assigned can be loaded at runtime.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  34. raoul

raoul

In a reply above I mentioned that the v3.2 beta features, including lane data, have not been fully implemented / tested in the scripting API yet. The suggestion to try using an existing road network was for the reason to bypass having to assign lane info to roads, road types and crossings through the scripting API. Since this is beta and not tested yet in the scripting API, there is no guarantee it will fully work through the scripting API.

Is this indeed runtime road creation related or is this scripted road creation inside the Unity editor? If it is the latter then you could try a road network refresh in General Settings > Scene Settings, but again, no guarantees...

Regarding the error, I had a quick look at the beta scene with the example AI code and a road network, playing the scene shows the objects moving over the roads. Then I removed all roads and crossings. No errors are thrown at runtime. How exactly can this be reproduced?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  35. swnc

swnc

Hi Raoul,

I am programming a VR application so all creation and interaction happen in runtime so there is no chance for me to interact with unity editor in runtime mode. I have created roads and crossings in runtime but as I said I receive the data information for the road but not for the crossing. However when I take out the glasses and i click on / interact with crossing on the editor in runtime mode then lane data for the crossing is received. So is there a function in the scripting API that I can somehow Update()/Refresh() to receive the data for crossings?

Regarding the error, you can try to add a road network object in the scene -> run -> click on General Settings > Scene Settings.

Best,
    swnc

36. raoul

raoul

Like mentioned, the new v3.,2 features that are currently in beta are not yet fully implemented in the scripting API. There is no AI lane info Refresh option for crossings yet in the scripting API.

The road network refresh equivalent in Scene Settings for the scritping API is ERRoadNetwork.Refresh()

But this too has not been tested yet for the new 3.2 AI options, it was only mentioned as something to try.

There are no errors when opening Scene Settings after running the scene.

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. swnc

swnc

ERRoadNetwork.Refresh() did actually fixed the issue:)Thank you! Regarding for the error, it is interesting maybe because of unity version 2018.2.14f1
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCDQDQDCO.OQOOQCQDDO (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OQQCQCQDQD eScr) (at <37cbcd7132584ccf96c9c700c24984d8>:0)
    3. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OQQCQCQDQD.OnInspectorGUI () (at <37cbcd7132584ccf96c9c700c24984d8>:0)
    4. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, System.Int32 editorIndex, System.Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1367)
    5. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

38. raoul

raoul

Glad to hear that!

The error is the same as the one you posted further above. I tested in 5.6.4 and 2018.3.0f2

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. fmarianacci

fmarianacci

Hi Raoul,

We're using EasyRoads for a few month now. The project we're working on is now very big, enough than we have to work with 4 roadnetwork. Each roadnetwork is in it's own scene. But as we work on an open world, we have to merge the different road network.

So we already create the tool to merge the 4 roadnetworks in one roadnetwork, it was not easy since a road network is a Singleton...

But we got it. Now we have some problem with the build terrain. We build the terrain separately on each roadnetwork. But when we have the roadnetwork merged we want to rebuild the terrain because we create some new road during the merge. (basically a script create new road to connect 'unconnected road' of each roadnetwork).

When we try to build the terrain on the merged roadnetwork we got the error "fail to build/compile sideobject" on a lot of roads, so it didn't build the terrain.

Can you help us on that subject ? How can we build the terrain on our merged roadnetwork ? Any faster way to work with multiple roadnetwork ?

We take the decision to work with multiple roadnetwork beacause Unity Editor can't run with large road network, it start to be laggy, roadnetwork start to have a lot a bug, and sometime Unity Crash.

Thanks

40. raoul

raoul

Hello fmarianacci,

Because you mention that 4 road network objects are involved that are merged, it is very hard to comment on possible errors which could very well be a result of that process.

Are these side objects all available in all 4 road network objects? What happens when updating one of these roads in Edit mode, does the side object update fine or do you get the same error?

In general, if the scene is too big to work with all roads in a single road network object, one way to do this is by working with multiple scenes open in the hierarchy. Drag roads and crossings out the road network hierarchy and save them in another scene. Open that scene when they are required again and move the objects back into the road network hierarchy.

Thanks,
    Raoul

41. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi Raoul,

I'm facing an issue which I thought could be solved by decreasing the Indent and Surrounding settings. My situation: I want to create a highway consisting out of 2x2 lanes (using the naturemanifacture HD roads here) with 1 meter space between them. Problem arises when building the network the lanes do interfere with eachother meaning the terrain is on top of the lanes at some places. I've flatten the terrain to make sure the highway can be put on the terrain easily but in all cases the terrain pops. So I tried to decrease the values of the indent and surrouning but both values are reverted directly after my change in the editor. Trying to use 1 as indent but right after the input it's reverted back to 3. So I'm somwhat puzzled on what's the best way to create those kind of highways (existing out of 2 roads parallel to eachother). Note I checked the example in the HD package but there the space between the lanes is way to big. Any tips, hints?

42. raoul

raoul

Hi Wim,

The minimum required Indent values is a little bit more then the heightmapscale of the terrain object (terrain size divided by heightmap resolution). This is necessary to guarantee the best possible results when matching the terrain with the road shape. Using a smaller value will result in the terrain breaking through the road or the road floating above the terrain.

1 meter between roads is only possible with a very small heightmapscale. When both the roads and the terrain is flat all this is not relevant but it sounds as if that is not the case in your situation.

V3.2 and v3.3 will have improvements for highways (consisting of two parallel roads) in various ways also dealing with this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  43. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

As I'm using the 3.2beta is this already available or coming in a newer version?

44. raoul

raoul

The current beta covers the new Flex Connector and lane data for AI. The new highway features will follow later.

Thanks,
    Raoul

45. fmarianacci

fmarianacci

Hi Raoul,

Thanks for the answer. We try to work with only one road network, and drag roads and crossing out of the road network. But when we move the roads back in to the road network, they lost the connections... So we cannot work like that.
    Any idea work around ?

46. raoul

raoul

Hi fmarianacci,

If road A is connected to crossing B and road A is moved and saved in another scene then the connection will break. But is that also the case when both road A and crossing B are moved to another scene and moved back?

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. fmarianacci

fmarianacci

Hi Raoul,

Yes it is the case. The connection is not back in any case.

48. raoul

raoul

Hi fmarianacci,

What are your steps?

I just tested the following:

1. Open "scene main"" (the small demo scene)
    2. Added two X crossings and connected six roads
    3. Created a new empty "roads" scene and opened both in the hierarchy
    4. Moved the two X crossings and six roads to the "roads" scene and saved both scenes
    5. Closed both scenes and reopened "scene main", indeed the six roads and two crossings are not part of it anymore
    6. Also opened the "roads" scene, the roads and crossings are visible again
    7. Moved the roads and crossings back into the hierarchy of the "Road Network" object in scene main

The connections are still there, the roads do update when moving the crossings

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. fmarianacci

fmarianacci

I do exactly the same steps. But I don't take all the roads.
    If you take only the half of the road you lose the connection with the junction.
    So at the end we still need a tool to merge different road network, because, we cannot store all the road and connection in the same scene, the scene will be to big..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  50. raoul

raoul

Hi fmarianacci,

In my example I mentioned that the main demo scene is used in the test, six roads and two crossings were added. Only these roads and crossings were moved to another scene, no other road network involved. The other roads and crossings were still part of the road network. Have you tried that as a test? How is this different from what you are looking for?

Or do you mean you lose the connection between crossings in one scene and roads in the other scene? That is correct, but the same will happen when using multiple road network objects.

Thanks,
    Raoul