Search Unity

EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hello CFrosty,

Yes, this is an 3.1.4 issue. 3.1.5 with a fix will be available later this week. If you need it urgently I can send an update.

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. CFrosty

CFrosty

No worries I can wait till later this week. Keep up the great work, thanks!

3. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

I'm having an issue with T Crossings texture if the Connection width is > 12

Here is with width 12 :

ROADS_New_!.png

Here is with width 18, the one that I need :

Roads_New_2.png

Any ideas how to fix this ?

4. raoul

raoul

Hi Jbs_GameZone,

That is indeed related to the "Inner Segment Distance" control value. Usually this is for controlling possible line marking shapes on the edge of the road, that is why the max value is 2 at the moment. I will increase this value, it will be part of the 3.1.5 update available later this week.

In v3.2 these exact texture specific offsets (required on crossings) can be defined in the road type settings. This will be used automatically on any crossing type using the new Flex Connector.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  5. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Great, had a hunch inner segment distance may solve it, that's why I marked it in the printscreen. I'll look fwd for the next update. Thanks

6. Bogat

Bogat

Hello! When you try to create a prefab, two errors come out!

Parent directory must exist before creating asset at prefab meshes/roadZap2_ER.asset.
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:CreateAsset(Object, String)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.QDOQSQDOOQDDD:OCDQDOCCOC(GameObject, Int32, Material&, List`1&, Boolean, Boolean)
    QDDOOQOOQDDD:DoGUI()
    QDDOOQOOQDDD:OnGUI()

UnityException: Creating asset at path prefab meshes/roadZap2_ER.asset failed.
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.QDOQSQDOOQDDD.OCDQDOCCOC (UnityEngine.GameObject sourceObject, Int32 connectionNum, UnityEngine.Material& mat, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& materials, Boolean recalculateNormals, Boolean recalculateTangents)
    QDDOOQOOQDDD.DoGUI ()
    QDDOOQOOQDDD.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

MODEL ROADS
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/7i63/DEQjcZQWR

7. raoul

raoul

Hello Bogat,

I had no issues importing the fbx in the system and it works well in the scene (no material was included in the download), two roads attached.

bogat.jpg

Which version of Unity do you use and which EasyRoads3D version? And when exactly do you get the error?

In a previous update during Unity 2018.3 beta, I belief it was v3.1.2 or perhaps v3.1.3 changes were made to deal with 2018.3 changes. These could result in the error you posted. This should be fixed in the latest v3.1.4

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  8. Bogat

Bogat

It was necessary to make the mode of editing roads and everything became normal! I did not know that it works that way. Thank!

9. raoul

raoul

Glad to hear you got that working! Do you mean the road network was in Build mode when you created the new custom connection prefab in the Custom Prefab editor? I will check that.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  10. Leniaal

Leniaal

Hello Raoul,

I'm trying this workflow and it seems to work like I want. But I have an issue. I'm raising my road network by 0.07 to decrease z-fighting. This works great, but now that I go back to edit mode without restoring the terrain my road network drops back down into the terrain again. Is there a way I can keep my road network raised when going back to edit mode so it will look completely finished?
    upload_2019-2-7_17-56-46.png

Regards,

Lenne

11. raoul

raoul

Hello lenne,

But that is Edit mode only. Terrain deformation is done relative to the road height that is why the Raise level is ignored in Edit mode.

Although the road will not affect the terrain anymore with this setup, it will still raise in Build Mode to the specific offset, is that right? And is that not what you need for a finished road network?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  12. Leniaal

Leniaal

Hi Raoul,

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. But maybe I'm doing this all wrong, so I'll show you my issue.

I have this road which is suffering from z-fighting. This is a road I want to finish, but maybe attach new roads to later on.
    upload_2019-2-8_13-46-10.png

So I click Build Terrain.

upload_2019-2-8_13-47-25.png

The z-fighting issue is resolved by raising the road with 0.07. I am satisfied with the road, so I click back to edit mode without terrain restore.

upload_2019-2-8_13-50-38.png

And I'm back at square one.

upload_2019-2-8_13-51-55.png

I understand that raise road network only works in "Build Terrain" mode, but is there a way for me to keep it rissen after I go back to edit mode or is this impossible and will this only happen when I completely "Finalize" the road?

EDIT: It's not that this is really an issue I guess, but it would just be nicer for level design purposes to have the road look finished even though it's not Finalized. If this is not possible, don't put too much effort in it.

Regards,

Lenne

13. raoul

raoul

Hi Lenne,

Like discussed on the previous page, the workflow you are using is not the recommended workflow. It was added upon request and I mentioned it because you were asking for something that has a similar result. Making it possible to preserve terrain changes done in Build Mode when switching back to Edit Mode.

Indeed, this will put the road back at raise level 0, but Edit mode is the state in which you add new roads, change the road network. After switching back to Build mode, the "finished" road will be put back at the current "Raise" level as well.

Is keeping the road network in Build Mode not an option and switch back to Edit mode when you want to make changes? What exactly is interfering in the current situation? Or is this indeed more a request for "visual" reasons in Edit mode when working on other road sections? Perhaps this can be done in another way, adding or raising the offset on the road shader a little bit?

Obviously, what you ask for, preserve the Raise level in Edit mode for a road that currently no longer affects the terrain can be added, but all this is something that is not really following the recommended workflow, if that makes sense. It will require changes to the code that generates the roads, the "Raise" level itself is controlled by the Y position of the parent object.

"Finalize" is one step further after switching to Build Mode, it removes all script components. This part is not involved in this specific topic, all this is related to Edit Mode vs Build Mode.

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. Leniaal

Leniaal

Hi Raoul,

Thanks for your quick answer. Indeed this is all purely visual, it's not very important.. more like a nice to have. The reason I have to go back to edit mode is for other roads in the scene that's why I can't stay in build mode. When finishing the scene or working with level design around this road I will just put it in build mode so it will look finished.

I don't think it's worth altering shaders or code for, I'm satisfied with how I can work with it but I was wondering if I was missing something.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Lenne

15. raoul

raoul

Ok, in that case and if you do want to improve this in Edit mode, depending on how many materials are involved, altering the shaders will probably be the easiest way here. This is a matter of changing the offset value in the Inspector. If that option is not available, it can probably be added. Let me know if you need help with that. The EasyRoads3D shaders (apart from the Standard version) can be used as an example to test this. I belief the HD Roads shaders have this option too. If not, it can be added..

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. Bogat

Bogat

Yes exactly!
    Another question is whether your roads work with a simple terrain mesh?

17. raoul

raoul

Hi Bogat,

Thank you, I will check that situation.

Roads can be created on a mesh terrain by dropping this mesh in the "Mesh Terrain" slot in "General Settings > Scene Settings". But adjusting the terrain to the shape of the roads will not work on a mesh terrain.

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hello,

I'm pushing the envelope with mobile optimizations so every (extra) polygon counts. I think we're missing (or I couldn't find it) an extra setting that would allow to reduce the resolution of secondary straight sides of a T intersection. Perhaps this is a corner case since you'll only need it when the sidewalk is wide ( > 6 ) like in my case.
    Below picture should clarify exactly what I'm interested in (also wrote the settings that helped reduce polygons in other areas, it may be helpful for others) :

Roads_Opt_1.png

19. raoul

raoul

Hello Jbs_GameZone,

T crossings are based on X crossings. "Rounding Segments" controls the resolution of the corners.

In the General Settings there is the option "Resolution Straight Side" below the "T Crossing" checkbox. Is that what you are looking for?

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. raoul

raoul

V3.1.5 is available on our website

This is a small update with recent requests and fixes for reported issues.

https://www.unityterraintools.com/releaseNotes.php

As always, please backup your project first before importing.

The asset store update is being uploaded at the moment.

Next week an update of v3.2 beta will be available as well.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    JamesWjRose likes this.
  21. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hi Raoul,

"Resolution Straight Side" below the "T Crossing" checkbox. Is that what you are looking for?
    Nope, already used that, but it doesn't affect the marked areas.
    I'll try to illustrate again :
    Below is a default T intersection before and after updating both resolution straight side and rounding segments, and it works perfectly (both corners and straight line vertices are drastically reduced) :

EasyRoads3d_New_0.png

The issue comes when I try to widen the sidewalk, there appear these straight areas (due to sidewalk padding), marked below with yellow, that cointain a high degree of polygons, and those areas are not affected by the resolution straight side setting :

EasyRoads3d_New_1.png

I was wondering if there is anything than can be done to reduce them as well.

Thanks

22. raoul

raoul

Ok, the straight area after rounded corner. That could very well indeed be a fixed distance depending on the sidewalk width. I will make a note of that.

You probably are aware of that and prefer the current corner radius, but just in case, increasing the radius will make the straight section smaller.

Thanks,
    Raoul

23. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

I will make a note of that.
    Awesome.

increasing the radius will make the straight section smaller.
    Yes, knew that, it was already maxed out at value 5.

Thanks

24. raoul

raoul

That must be a wide road then :)

If you like to increase this further, the Min/Max radius slider values are controlled by minCornerRadius and maxCornerRadius in the main ERModularBase script attached to the main road network object.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Jbs_GameZone likes this.
  25. hopeful

hopeful

In regard to very wide roads ... is it possible to make a single wide road out of two ER roads ... with one direction being one ER road, and the other direction being a second ER road?

26. Izanamya

Izanamya

Hi Raoul !

I have a "non flat" intersection, with a branch going up, no problem to create the custom prefab, but when I drag a road from the highest branch, as you can see it snaps to 0 and I couldn't find a control somewhere to tweak this height.
    Is it possible ?

Thanks ER_HeightIssue.png

27. raoul

raoul

Hi hopeful,

This is not yet possible out of the box.

Just thinking of it, a possible workaround for now might be the snap connector introduced in v3.1.4.

General Settings > Road Types > Create Snap Connector. This will create a new prefab in the project folder that works similar as the green connection handles for crossings. Roads can be attached and new roads can be started.

These snap connectors can be added to a new prefab, the wide road snap connector at (0,0,0) the other two on the x axis halfway of each side of the wide road. This prefab will not be integrated in the road system, but could be added manually when required.

In general for parallel roads, Terrain deformation for the two roads will overlap, so they must be aligned at the same height as long as they are parallel and close to each other.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  28. raoul

raoul

Hi Izanamya,

"Non flat", crossing connections should be flat regarding terrain deformation which is relative to the local y=0

Is this not the case for this mesh? That may cause issues. If you want you can send it to us and we will look at it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

29. Izanamya

Izanamya

No, it's not flat and we need it not to be flat, there will be a bunch of crossing like this one, connection going up or down.

Is it not possible in easyroads and should I look for a workaround ?

30. raoul

raoul

crossings can be rotated on any if the 3 axis, in that regard the positioning of the intersection in the scene doesn't have to be flat, Roads will connect well to rotated intersections, the shape will gradually adjust

But having the terrain flattened accurately according the exact shape of any arbitrary mesh is not possible due to the nature of the unity terrain object, grid based with a specific heightmapscale. That is why the system does this based on the local y = 0 value.

What is on the list for custom prefabs is allow connections at different y values, that will fix the glitch in your screenshot. This will come with more control over terrain deformation per connection. But having any unity terrain object adjust according to the exact intersection shape is technically not possible

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. studentvz

studentvz

Hi,

I'm using v3.1.5. Created simple road, added one T crossing and I get errors, also I can't move with wasd and I got scene view problems (view goes black or gray) when I select a road.

https://imgur.com/a/5UfBfjK

32. raoul

raoul

Hi studentvz,

I see a T crossing with 3 roads connected. The T crossing indeed doesn't look right. How was this created? By instantiating it in the scene through Shift + click or by attaching it directly to one of the 3 roads?

Which version of Unity do you use? And is only v3.1.5 imported or also the free demo package?

I did two quick v3.1.5 tests in Unity 2018.3.0f2.

1) Added a T crossing to the scene by selecting it in the Inspector and Shift + click in the scene. Then I pulled out new roads from the green connection handles. This worked well, no errors and the crossing position can be changed. It is fully responsive.

2) Added a new road using the "Default Road" type with two markers. With marker 2 selected I attached a T Crossing from the Connections tab in the Inspector. Then I pulled out two more roads from the other two green connection handles. This too worked well, nor errors, the crossing is fully responsive.

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. studentvz

studentvz

Unity restart fixed the problems. I'm using Unity 2017.4.19f1. without a free demo package.

I added a new road using My Custom Road type with few markers. With a marker in the middle selected I attached a T crossing from the Connections tab. After that, I created the third road and attached it manually to T crossing.

I couldn't reproduce this issue again, maybe there was some setting in my custom road that produced this issue.

Thanks for fast response, great support.

34. raoul

raoul

This too seems to work fine. Perhaps it is related to your custom road type, I will check that. With the current X and T Crossings you usually want to create new road type specific X and T crossings. This can be done quickly in General Settings > Road Types >Create New Connection Prefab

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. Modimage

Modimage

Hi,

I got a problem with easy roads, sometimes Unity reimport prefabs in
    "Assets/EasyRoads3D/Ressources/custom prefabs"
    and
    "Assets/EasyRoads3D/Ressources/dynamic prefabs"
    and takes severals minutes to do so it's quite annoying, do someone know why this is happening?

Thanks!

36. raoul

raoul

Hi Modimage,

Which version of Unity do you use and which version of EasyRoads3D?

What exactly happends, what is being displayed? Or is this connections tab / thumbnail preview related? This is updated in v3.1.5 released this week

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. Modimage

Modimage

I'm on unity 2018.3.0f2 and the v3.1.4 for EasyRoads3D.

Sometimes, i think is when i made a modification on my roadnetwork or something with easyroads assets, my unity freeze, like is working on something, and after some time there is a loading screen like unity reimport my assets.

I moved all the prefabs in the "unused prefabs" and it's look like that resolve the problem ^^'

thanks for your reply =)

38. raoul

raoul

Did you import v3.1.4 from Unity 2018.3.0f2 or was the project upgraded to 2018.3.0f2 with v3.1.4 already imported? In that case, can you reimport 3.1.4 from the asset store to make sure the correct version is imported.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. Izanamya

Izanamya

Hi there !

Same as Modimage, a bit randomely when working on my RoadNetwork, Unity freeze then after a while (15/20s) prompt an import window and cycle through all my customs prefabs.

Not really annoying, but it wasn't there before.

Unity 2018.3 / EasyRoads 3.1.5

ER_SavageImport.jpg

40. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I want to be able to add side objects to tilted road that follow the same tilted angled of the road, in the same way as it already happens with side barriers and guard rails.

Here is an example screenshot of what I want to get (be aware that these two images has been made manually by hand as a mockup to show what I want to get with Easy road)

Easy Road Tilted road that I want.jpg

And here is another point of view that shows the progression of the billboard changing angle according to the road angle and the top part facing to the road

Easy Road Tilted road that I want 2.jpg

If you configure the billboards as side object with Mesh objects they are all put straight and vertical, as in the main demo scene, and will not follow the titled angle of the road

Looking at how the Guard raild and barriers are added as side objects I have seen that they are configured as Procedural mesh objects in the Side Objects BUT if I make the same with the billboards there is no way I can see that you can define the amount of billboards that I want to put and it puts LOTS of them.

Easy Road Tilted road what happens.jpg

Also the billboard top is not rotated and I need to rotate the sign so the top part faces to the road as shown on the first two screenshots and not as shown on the third one

This same happens, if you try to add any other object to a tilted road like a palm tree or whatever

Please, can you be so kind to tell me how can be configured the billboard as side object so it follows the tilted road angle, and is with the right angle facing correctly ?

Thanks very much your possible help

Best wishes

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  41. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

One big problem I have seen is that when I try to add another marker in the midldle of two other markers with the I key, it makes it wrong and breaks the roads and modifies it in different ways.

here is the original road with two markers and i want to put another new one in the middle

Easy Road Adding a marker modifies the road.jpg

I select the marker, position the mouse pointer over the place I want to add the marker and press the I key

And here below you can see the road is modified and is added a bump and curved where the new markers is put and not kept with the same shape as the road had
    Easy Road Adding a marker modifies the road 2.jpg

And if add another new marker near the other one it will totally break the road as shown here

Easy Road Adding a marker modifies the road 3.jpg

So I wonder what I am doing wrong when trying to add a new marker to an existing road

thanks very much for any possible help

best wishes

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  42. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Please, can you tell me HOW to export a created road with different side objects included and be able to use it as a normal 3D unity object?

I mean that it is without any Easy Road script and not editable anymore, and keeping all the meshes and materials of the road and the side objects correctly.

Thanks very much

43. raoul

raoul

Hi Izanamya,

The processbar is not the processbar that will be visible when generating prefab thumbnails, what I mentioned in my reply to Modimage.

Just in case this is relevant, starting from Unity 2018.3, different packages are uploaded to the asset store. When a Unity 2018.2 or earlier project with v3.1.4 or v3.1.5 is upgraded to Unity 2018.3, the easyRoads3D package should be reimported from the asset store.

If this is not done then some code runs that will make sure dynamic and custom prefabs have valic prefab ID's. This worked fine in previous versions, in Unity 2018.3 it causes a delay. This code is no longer required for Unity 2018.3.

Yesterday when using the new v3.2 beta in Unity 2018.3 I did notice some unexpected behaviour when saving the scene, the processbar appeard and Unity was doing something. But this was a fairly quick process, about 5 secs at max, not what Modimage posted. This will be looked into.

Is that what you noticed as well? When exactly did this happen?

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. raoul

raoul

Hi SpaceRay,

Procedural side objects are side objects that will be generated along the track based on a source mesh, the shape of the source mesh will be repeated, following the path. This is not what you want for a billboard type of side object.

The Mesh type of side object will also adjust to the tilting angle. The below image with rotated lamp posts is taken from the demo scene, with "Alignment" set to "Path Normal" instead of "None".

tilting.jpg

The orientation of the billboard so it faces the road can be changed by either changing the orientation of the source mesh or by entering a value for "Add Rotation Angle".

Thanks,
    Raoul

SpaceRay likes this.
  45. raoul

raoul

Hi,

That is a bit of a crazy road shape :). I assume the issue is related to that? I will check this type of tracks and see if it can be improved.

Markers are added to the start / end of a track, this does not the match the green selected marker in the image neither does it show the start or end of the track. What exactly is the situation here? Or is this also related to inserting markers?

Thanks,
    Raoul

SpaceRay likes this.
  46. raoul

raoul

A normal Unity object is based on assets created by Unity, not fbx or obj models. Is that what you mean?

Unity stores dynamically generated meshes (roads in this case) by default in the scene file. In Build Mode there is a "Store Mesh Assets in Project Folder" option and a "Finalize" option which removes script components . These two do what you are asking for. It is recommended to only use this when the road network is ready and even then you probably want to keep a backup of the original road shape.

What exactly do you want to do here? Is this for final builds? Perhaps there are other ways to do what you want.

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. Izanamya

Izanamya

Hi Raoul,

It occurs each time you deselect/exit the roadnetwork when you made change in it. Around ten seconds of Unity thinking (round mouse pointer) then the loading bar.

Thanks

48. raoul

raoul

It does sound like twhat happened in versions up to v3.1.3 in Unity 2018.3. And I assume, after what I wrote above, this is v3.1.5 imported in Unity 2018.3? Not and earlier version of Unity with v3.1.5 upgraded to Unity 2018.3.

I will do more tests, perhaps what I saw yesterday is indeed related.

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. Izanamya

Izanamya

Unity 2018.3 with ER 3.1.4 upgraded to 3.1.5.

This didn't happen in 3.1.4

I tried a clean reinstall of 3.1.5... still doing this.

50. Izanamya

Izanamya

Also, editing roadtype specific sideobjects in the roadtype menu is effective on new roads, but did not update the previously created ones. You have to select each road one by one and enter the values for each side objects.