Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Curved roads will not completely snap to the grids, but the markers should. The image is too far zoomed out to see if that is not the case.

So if the crossings snap to the grids cells and you pull out new roads from the crossings and snap them to other crossing connections you will get a perfect city block with 90 degree angles.

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

jalapen0,

I am not the asset dev, thought I should state that up front. I would place the intersections where you want them first. Then you can drag from an intersection's connection and simply draw that to the next intersection. Then you'd have the 90 degree settings you want, easy-peasy

hopeful and raoul like this.
  3. jalapen0

jalapen0

Ah thank you, I see now. Its working. Appreciate it.

4. raoul

raoul

Additionally to your screenshot, if you want a 90 degree turn in the top right corner with straight road sections, you can add two markers in the right top. One on the right bottom of the grid cell and one on the left top of the same grid cell, and set the controller type of the bottom right marker to circular.

Thanks,
    Raoul

jalapen0 likes this.
  5. o1o101

o1o101

Hi guys, I am unable to rotate my prefab connections all of a sudden, anyone experience this?

6. raoul

raoul

Hi deverolirc,

I just responded to your same question in the private conversation. Prefab connections cannot rotate. To which prefab type is this related and how can it not rotate? Or does the prefab itself not rotate?

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. colin_young

colin_young

Good to know that's expected behavior. The "Create New Connection Prefab" worked just fine in 2018.

I was trying to create a new dynamic connector, but on further reflection I've decided I need to plan things out better, determine exactly what intersections I need and build custom connectors for each. So now I'm learning how to build meshes (and that Sketchup, while awesome for many things, is not awesome for creating Unity meshes). I think this more planned approach is going to result in better results and make the scripting much easier also.

Thanks for patiently answering all my questions.

8. raoul

raoul

Yes "Create New Connection Prefab" should work just fine, it creates a new prefab. The problem you ran into is related to updating existing prefabs.

Custom prefabs based on your own meshes indeed opens new doors, customized unique road networks. That said, if you have specific requests for the built-in crossings we can always look into that.

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. kashifji2017

kashifji2017

how to make road in terrain with hills and lot of high and low areas? I do it but road disappears in terrain in lot of places in such terrain. can anyone help?

10. raoul

raoul

Hello kashifji2017,

What do your road shapes look like and what are your terrain specs, heightmap resolution and terrain size?

In general, the Unity terrain object is grid based, the size of the cells depends on the heightmap resolution and terrain size. There must be enough terrain points available just outside the road shape to prevent what you are describing. It is impossible to add detail points to the terrain object. Especially if your roads have sharp bends with significant height differences it might be impossible to accurately shape the terrain according the road shapes when the terrain resolution is too small.

There are more advanced alternatives using the side object systems to create detail terrain meshes or retaining walls, like shown in the demo scene.

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. kashifji2017

kashifji2017

1024x1024 terrain size and 257 height map resolution. I am targeting mobile devices if i increase height map resolution then rendering overhead increases.

12. raoul

raoul

That is about 4 units between terrain points. Although not as detailed as the current default Unity terrain object, it is not too bad. But as you describe your roads is in an hilly area with lots of high low areas, this resolution is not ideal for that type of scenes.

Thanks,
    Raoul

kashifji2017 likes this.
  13. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

What is the status of this asset? Is this version 3 still in beta, or has there finally been a proper release version?
    Is the OSM functionality fully documented?
    What is required to enable OSM download and road generation? (ie: Bing Maps ID or something other...)
    Is there integration with BuildR2 for building generation?

14. raoul

raoul

Hello Mad_Mark,

The current version is v3.1.3.

OSM import works by importing OSM data files, https://www.openstreetmap.org , EasyRoads3D road types can be linked to OSM road types. By default the road data bounds of the OSM file will be relative to the terrain bounds. Alternatively terrain lon lat bounds can be assigned, the data will be extracted relative to these coordinates. That is it. Crossing will not yet been auto inserted due to possible complexity of real world situations.

We do not work with BuildR2, You could look into the side object system and generate the BuildR prefabs as side objects. Several users have done that with other building tools.

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I have been working with CScape and wrote some code, available here: https://github.com/Blissgig/Easy-Roads-3D-and-CScape-Building-Placement, that places the buildings along the sides of ER3D. CScape is impressive in it's FPS, and since I am making VR this is paramount to me. BuildR and CScape are very different products, so I don't want to give the impression that you should switch, only that you should take a look, depending on your needs.

The CScape buildings have thier X/Y/X point in the corner, instead of the center, as do most objects, so if you want to tweak my code to handle that for placements of BuildR be aware of that change you'll have to make. Using the Side Objects in ER3D for buildings didn't work to well for ME, but the Side Objects are impressive in their capabilities and likely the problem was the position of the marker in CScapes, so BuildR may work fine.

16. ceebeee

ceebeee

Ok I started posting about this, then read the troubleshooting and thought it explained it, but I tried it's advice and it's still happening. I imported EasyRoads3D and the demo scene asset into a fresh project with Asset Serialization set to "Mixed". But still when I start a new Road network I get this message:
    EasyRoads3Dv3 Warning: Missing source prefab for side object: greenhouse - please make sure to also import all prefabs used for side objects
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODOODQQCDO:ODDDCDQOCC(ERModularBase)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCODCQDCC:OnEnable()
    So I guess it's not a problem with serialization.
    Greenhouse does show up under Misc:

But when I try to use it I get:
    EasyRoads3Dv3: no source mesh is defined for this side object (greenhouse), side object creation aborted
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OCQQCCQCCO:OQOCCQOQQO(ERModularBase, ERModularRoad, SideObject)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OCQQCCQCCO:OQOOQQCOQO(ERModularRoad, SideObject)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCODCQDCC:ODOCOODOCQ(Event)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCODCQDCC:OnInspectorGUI()
    UnityEngine.GUIUtilityrocessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

As well, I'm also trying to use the HD pack, and when I use the sidewalk side objects, They don't line up.

When I try to adjust the side Object Sideways Distance to correct it, any value I put besides zero results in this error:

EasyRoads3Dv3 Error: Road: NM_Asphalt_Dotted 001 - Side Object: Path Left
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OCQQCCQCCO:ODQDOQDQOC(Single, ERMesh, Int32, List`1, List`1, List`1, Int32, List`1, List`1, List`1, List`1, List`1, List`1, Int32, Boolean, Int32, Boolean, Single, SideObject, Single, ERModularRoad, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Vector3&, Vector3&, ERSORoadExt)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OCQQCCQCCO:OQCDQQOOOD(GameObject, SideObject, ERModularRoad, ERSORoadExt)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OCQQCCQCCO:OQOCCQOQQO(ERModularBase, ERModularRoad, SideObject)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCODCQDCC:OOQDDDQDCQ(Boolean&, Event)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCODCQDCC:OnInspectorGUI()
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

(repeated about 38 times)
    So I have to go in and manually edit the offset, but then every time I change anything, it gets reset back to 0. I should mention the error happens for all side Objects, but they will at least still offset. The sidewalk is the only one that simply vanishes if anything other than 0.

I'm using Unity 2017.4.17f1

17. raoul

raoul

Hello Ceebee,

The Greenhouse side object is not used in the demo scene and the source file is not part of the package, hence the warning message "Missing source prefab for side object: greenhouse". This side object should not be part of the current package. I will check the project log of the demo scene and remove it.

Regarding the sidewalk, "Sideways Distance" is not the recommended control for this. "Sideways Distance" is intended for marker specific distance differences and will generate the side object on its own spline curve relative to the road. This can be useful for side objects like fences moving away and towards the road. I will check if I can recreate the error though.

But what you want to change here for the sidewalk is "X Position" which is 0.6 (-0.6 for the left side) for this side object.

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. Leniaal

Leniaal

Hello,

I got a couple of questions regarding my side object.

Settings:
    upload_2019-1-10_16-21-1.png

In the screenshot below you can see that my starting object has a bit of an offset to the rest of the wall. In the second screenshot you can see it's corrected when I add +0.35 on the Z-axis the object is now alligned correctly to the rest of the wall. What's the recommended way of doing this? I tried giving the prefab (0,0,0.35) standard position but this didn't help.

Screenshot 1:
    upload_2019-1-10_16-20-36.png
    Screenshot 2:
    upload_2019-1-10_16-28-27.png

The second issue I'm having is that when I'm trying to move the wall to the side specifically for this road, all the walls disappear (Except for the starting object) and I get an error. But when I change X pos in the Side Objects settings directly, it functions properly.

upload_2019-1-10_16-35-25.png

The last thing isn't really an issue (I guess) and it's probably been asked before, but I was wondering what all the red dots are in my scene. I don't really remember when they appeared, but the roads that they are related to seem to be functioning fine. Are these errors or some sort of warnings?

Regards,

Lenne

19. ceebeee

ceebeee

I see, thanks for the clarification about spline generated items. But you didn't address the hundreds of errors being produced when "Sideways distance" is used for anything at all. Look at the screenshot in Lenne's post above this, you can see he's getting them too!

Leniaal likes this.
  20. raoul

raoul

Hi Lenne,

This is a procedural side object type, I don't know what the source object looks like. But the pivot point of the End Connection object in the side object setup will be positioned at the end of the procedural section. So generally you want to keep that in mind when setting up start / end connection objects. If the pivot point of the end connection mesh is in the center of the object that would indeed mean it has to be moved a little bit forward on the Z-axis.

How did you add the (0,0,0.35) standard position? Was this added to the prefab itself? That will be ignored as the prefab will be repositioned. If you want to do this in Unity you can add the mesh as a child and apply the offset to the child. I think it is on the to do list to respect transform positions on the prefab itself. It isn't added yet because often prefabs in the prefab folder have unwanted offsets due to updates from scene instances. This should work better in 2018.3

The errors are indeed related to rebuilding the procedural segments of the side object. Is the wall side object active on a road object or is it an object by itself? If it is part of a road it will disappear when moving markers, it will rebuild after you stopped moving markers. Otherwise it will rebuild immediately when moving markers? These errors haven't been reported for a long time. Does the wall actually correctly rebuild?

[Edit] as pointed out by ceebee, the errors are probably related to "Sideways Distance". Please check my previous reply to ceebee's post. Can you set this to 0 and use 10 for "X Position"?

The red dots appear at points that are very close to the terrains Y position. It is impossible to add negative height values to the terrain object, so these areas can be critical, the terrain may pop through the road in build mode. So these points simply serve as an alert. This can be switched of in General Settings > Scene Settings > Display Critical areas.

It is recommended to first flatten the terrain at a certain height above y = 0 before building it. That way there is always room to flatten the terrain downwards if necessary.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Leniaal likes this.
  21. raoul

raoul

Hi ceebee,

I mentioned in my previous post that I will look into these errors and see if they can be recreated.

Thank you for pointing to Leniaals post! I didn't notice the 10 for Sideways Distance. That is probably indeed related!

"Sideways Distance" is an option that was available in v2. In v3 X Position was added, generally you want to use this as mentioned in my previous post.

Thanks,
    Raoul

ceebeee likes this.
  22. Leniaal

Leniaal

Hey raoul,

Thanks for your reply.

Ok I was hoping there would be an option to add offset the the starting object, but I will indeed fix this with adding the mesh to a child with a 0.35 offset on the z-axis.

Like I stated in my original post, it is indeed occurring when adjusting the side distance, but it works just fine when adjusting the X position in the side objects manager. But for me this will be quite a hassle because the wall won't always be away the same distance from the road. Would this mean that I have to create a new side object for every new distance/scenario?

EDIT: And thanks for clarifying the red dots! All goes fine when building so I turned it off. My terrain is at a height of 110 and my roads are positioned at 110 so I assume it's afraid of z-fighting scenarios.

Regards,

Lenne

23. raoul

raoul

Hi Lenne,

"X Position" in the Side Object Manager is the default position. This can be adjusted per instance attached to a road. After clicking the foldout next to the checkbox where a side object is activated on a road, you will see several instance specific settings among which X Position. X Position will also be added in the marker side object settings so this can be adjusted per marker.

The reason why "X Position" generally is preferred is because this is always calculated relative to the road data. "Sideways Position" generates a new spline relative to road markers. For example guardrails will not perfectly follow the road in bends. On circular sections it will not follow the road at all.

Is your terrain game object at 110 or is your terrain flattened at 110? If the terrain is flattened at 110 the red dots should not be visible. If the terrain object is at 110 and all roads are at 110 all is good. But if one marker would be at 120, the nature of spline curves is that the road will partially go below 110 on the previous / next section of the marker at 110. This can result in these deformation issues because the terrain does not accept negative height values.

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. Leniaal

Leniaal

Thanks once again Raoul, I never noticed these options. What a life saver :) My terrain is at Pos (-8192,0,-8192) and it's flattened at 110. I think all markers are at 110 but I haven't checked thoroughly. If anything some markers might be at 109.8+-, so maybe that's the issue I'll keep my eyes out for this.

Regards,

Lenne

raoul likes this.
  25. raoul

raoul

V3.1.4 is available on our website

This is a small update with primarily Unity 2018.3 improvements. Dynamic prefabs can now be fully edited in the 2018.3 prefab editor.

3.1.4 also includes a small new feature, the Snap Connector. These are road type specific connector prefabs generated quickly from General Settings > Road Types > Create Snap Connector. These prefabs can be attached to other objects such as the fence gate in the below video. But it could also be used for actual roads, like specific bridge prefabs that are not fully integrated in the system. This way it is easy to attach roads at the correct position to the bridge object.

The asset store update is pending approval by the asset store team.

As always, please backup your project first before importing the update.

Thanks,
    Raoul

colin_young and JamesWjRose like this.
  26. swredcam

swredcam

I currently have a Road "system" that has two individual roads within. I need to break one of the roads into two separate objects as part of that road is completely finished from a tree/detail/terrain perspective and every time I edit the road system the part that is done gets damaged by the new road build. The problem is I need to edit the road as I go and each time I edit and rebuild something gets messed up in the earlier section. What I want is for the earlier sections to be able to be locked down while still working on the later sections. Is there a way to split up these existing roads? Ideally I would break them into separate increments of a fixed distance.

The way it is now, if I "return to edit" in my road system, all of both existing roads get re-built when I complete the edit.

27. raoul

raoul

Hello swredcam,

A single road can be split in two objects through the "Insert I Connector" option near the bottom of the marker section. But because the spline curve is preserved both roads will still update after changes. One of the two roads could temporarily be disconnected from the I connector.

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. swredcam

swredcam

I have two roads now though, and it seems when I "return to edit mode", both roads are re-opened and then likely to get corrupted when I exit editing. What I need is for a section of a given road to be totally left alone at some point. Is there a better way?

29. raoul

raoul

Yes, it seems you asked in your post how to split existing roads, that is what the I Connector does.

In what way do road sections get "corrupted"?

Do you mean that randomness of the road shape or side objects is overwritten? That is indeed the case when the road updates. There is a lock option for roads at the right near the top next to the road name. I would have to check what the status of that is and if this is indeed included. But when working within road networks, roads can get affected by road changes of other roads in which case they need to be updated.

Thanks,
    Raoul

30. swredcam

swredcam

What I mean is that some portions of the road have been completed, and this may include some changes to the terrain right around the road itself. So I had built a road, added trees and details, made some added terrain edits, and was satisfied with the results. I came out of edit mode. Later, I was working on a different stretch of the road, and simply going into and then out of edit mode caused the earlier terrains to get re-shaped -- that's what I mean by "corrupted". Going in and out of edit mode is changing them even though I am not making any changes in that area of the road. I understand why it happens, but I need a way to control it. If I could split the current road into sections and then just not touch the completed sections that would work. I'm not even sure that would work though as "return to edit" seems to re-open all road sections. In other words, even if I had multiple sections I'm not sure I could leave some untouched.

31. swredcam

swredcam

I'm also interested in where that "lock option" is located as I do not see it. It would need to be available before "back to edit mode" is clicked as that seems to be when the changes occur.

32. raoul

raoul

Ok, so this is more terrain related. Since you may want to make changes to the terrain anyway in a later stage, it is recommended to do final terrain tweaks at the end when the full road network is done.

It is possible to update the terrain only for selected roads. What is on the list to add is to have the Finalize option only target the selected road(s). It seems that will do what you are looking for?

The lock option is the little lock icon in the Inspector on the right near the top next to the road name. But this is more Edit Mode related. Locked roads will still be included in terrain deformation.

lock.jpg

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. swredcam

swredcam

Well I need that but I need one step beyond. One of my two roads needs to be split into two or more roads, and these need to be indepentely edited without changes to the others. It sounds like that can't be done at the moment. Doing the whole road first makes sense but does not work for the workflow in this case. What about having more than one Road Network, is that possible? I assume then I could edit one network with no impact to the other(s). If I can do that I will just create a network for each segment. I don't need any kind of connectors or really any road interaction. I'm only using the road to carve terrain and generate a navmesh. Thanks!

34. raoul

raoul

In a situation with two road section connected with a spline controller, updating one section will result in changes in the other section, so that section needs to be updated as well.

The only way to avoid this is to have straight sections between the two. That way the two sections will still connect in a similar way after road changes to one section. So in that scenario the road network can also be split. A scene can only have one road network, but you could have two scenes open in the hierarchy with two road networks and drag one of the two sections to the other road network. Two different road networks that can be worked on independently in two scenes. At any point the roads of one road network can be moved back to the other scene. Will that work?

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. swredcam

swredcam

By "sections" you are referring to the "Road Objects", is that right? So if I have two Networks, in two scenes, I can move Road Objects between them and they will not get changed?

36. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hi @raoul, I am not sure how exactly it happened, but my Road System is no longer showing control nodes and some of the roads are now transparent. I have tried doing "Refresh Road Network" to no avail and building the road network and returning to edit mode does not help either. I did not see any related errors/warnings in the console. Any ideas how I can fix?

37. raoul

raoul

Yes, with "sections" I meant separate road gameobjects in the hierarchy and indeed road objects can be dragged between road networks in different open scenes. Building road networks should be road network specific so the terrain will not change for roads in another road network. And if that is the case, this road network can always be temporarily disabled or that scene can be unloaded.

Another way to preserve manual terrain changes for a specific road object in the same road network is by activating "Enable back to Edit Mode without Terrain Restore" in General Settings > Scene Settings. This will show a new button "Back To Edit Mode - No Terrain Restore" in Build Mode. Your manual terrain changes will be preserved. Next is switch off "Terrain Deformation" in the main road settings of that road object. This should also work provided that the road shape does not change.

But, again, this is not recommended hence why that particular button is not displayed by default. If you decide in a later stage to change the road shape, the old road shape will still be visible especially in hilly areas.

Thanks,
    Raoul

38. raoul

raoul

Hi sharkapps,

The offset on the white surfaces might be interfering (these can be hidden in General Settings > Scene Settings), it is unclear if the road mesh still exists.

About the markers, there are indeed no error messages? Did you get any error message in the past? Does reloading the scene or restarting Unity fix this? Would it be possible to have a look at the project / scene, can you email a link?

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. ceebeee

ceebeee

So I'm trying to create a custom Crossing prefab, based on the HD set, because I need wider roads. I have modified the meshes and re-imported, but I can't seem to find a way to create a custom prefab with a built-in side object (i.e. the sidewalk). Their custom Crossing prefab appears with the sidewalk included in the Crossing editor:

Even though these are pieces from two separate FBX files.

I can see no way to drop in a second mesh to make my own version of a crossing like this.

What am I missing?

40. raoul

raoul

Hi ceebee,

Because the various crossing prefab type in the HD Roads package are similar the NatureManufacture Team reused already fully setup prefabs including the sidewalks. That is why the sidewalk pieces are also visible in the Custom Prefab Editor window.

But they are not required in the Custom Prefab Editor window. This window is only used to setup the connections like in your second image without the sidewalk pieces.

So if you want to change these prefabs, the workflow in the second image can be followed, the prefab without sidewalks. These sidewalk pieces can be added afterwards as childs to the newly generated prefab in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom prefabs/. They will be included in scene instances. This is also how you can add additional props like traffic lights etc. to source prefabs.

The individual sidewalk pieces are located in /NatureManufacture Assets/Side Objects and Pavment/

Thanks,
    Raoul

41. Misterixmax

Misterixmax

Hi @raoul , I am very impressed with your asset, but I have questions. Me and my team wanna make a game with a large scale maps, I have a question about OSM data import, is it guaranteed to work? Would you mind to check it? This is very important because we take the data from the real terrain and it would really save a lot of time to create maps. This is the only reason I plan to purchase this asset.

42. ceebeee

ceebeee

I see, thanks for the advice.

43. raoul

raoul

Hi,

If you want you can send us a sample of your data file and we will test. It should import fine if you got it from the openstreetmap website.

How large is it? Also, what are your expectations. especially with large maps chances are that complicated non standard crossing situations are involved. For this reason crossings will not be auto inserted at the moment. This will be added in the future once the built-in crossing types expand.

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. Misterixmax

Misterixmax

Ok, here is the file, I took it from Open Street Map site: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qo1GSI8gw1YTBa9CPz7NpE2Vbt0KyQpM/view?usp=sharing

45. raoul

raoul

46. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I have bought this asset and I think is awesome and well done

Please, I want to ask if it could be possible in some way, to make new custom road objects to replace the default roads with tubes I mean to make tunnels with splines instead of roads, so I could position the tubes wherever I want in the same way as you can put roads parts

What I want to do using Easy Road is something like this shown here, but ONLY the tube part and not the pillars (as shown on screenshot

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/architectural/engineering/oil-pipe-line

Or as shown on this video at 0:34

Important : We will ONLY do curved and straight tunnels and not at all any crossings

I do not know if for this you would need custom mesh created tubes as shown here

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/architectural/street/sewerage-construction-kit

or you would a simple tube mesh 3d model

Thanks very much for your possible help and send you my best wishes

Attached Files:

47. raoul

raoul

Hi Space Ray,

There are two ways to do this

1) As you wrote through Custom "road" objects. This works by importing a model and assign connections settings. Connected objects will inherit the shape of the connection. This approach should be used when you need cross sections. as well. A tube type example in the demo package is the sewer network. The sewer construction example in your post would need to be made this way.

2) Side objects, this is the easier way but will not support cross sections although it seems you will not need this anyway. Both the Shape and the procedural type can be used. For the shape type, the shape can be drawn in the editor window. Together with start / end connection objects this is probably the easier way especially for tunnels. The procedural object type give more control over the shape. This works by importing a mesh model. These side objects can be activated on roads. They will follow the road and they can be activated for specific markers only. So that is how the tube at 0.34 can be created.

The tube example in the image can be done with the procedural side object type, by importing a tube section that will be repeated along the spline with optionally start / end sections either added as separate prefabs or as part of the tube model.

The demo package includes examples of all this, the red highlighted zones point to tutorials on our website also side object related. I would recommend to have a look at all these options and do some simple tests to get a feel how each of them work.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    SpaceRay likes this.
  48. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hello everyone,

I appeal to the more experienced ones who already built large open world games, what optimizations have you done to EasyRoads3D network, apart from playing with resolution and angle threshold from road settings ?

I'm particularly interested in occlusion culling, not rendering an entire highway that may span across all the map when I see only 1/10 of it at any time. What are the best practices for setting up the road network with this in mind ?
    Below are 2 pictures that shows what I'm describing (first with no OC, one with OC) :

EASY ROADS 3D.png EASY ROADS 3D_OC.png

The road that has been constructed from segments (3 connected roads) works just fine as half of it is occluded. Is there an easier way than manually building sub-sections adding connectors and connecting them ? I've seen a sub-segment setting (sub divide the road) in road settings but doesn't yield the same result.

Any other advises that boosted the performance in your game are gladly welcomed.

Thanks

JamesWjRose likes this.
  49. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I created code to handle objects out of a given range. One of the reasons I created this was for a racing game I am making using ER3D and I use this code to disable roads, buildings, etc based on the object's tag and a minimum distance value, if outside that distance the object is disabled. There are more complex and better code bases, this is just a simple solution that works "good enough" so that I can hit 90 fps in VR. My other main asset is CScapes for the buildings and it is great in terms of pfs, but I wasn't getting as good as I'd like for the roads so this is why I wrote this code: https://github.com/Blissgig/Unity3D_ActiveManagement

50. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hi James, thanks for the quick reply, I'll definitely give the script a look, it may come in handy for me as well.
    Although I have a hunch that I still need to split/divide my long highways for the script to kick in, otherwise there will be a single highway road object and it won't get disabled while I'm cruising on it. For towns the solution you described is perfectly suited since there you have intersections and multiple road objects (that in CScape intersect at a square angle, so even better).

JamesWjRose likes this.