Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi Noa3,

This seems related to side objects part of the demo package. I was under the impression that Crossway was referring to procedural side objects created by himself.

The guard rail in your screenshot is the previous guard rail part of EasyRoads3D v2. It was initially used in the v3 beta package as well. I belief that there for it is indeed still part of the current demo package having "v2" in the side object name. I will check the material of the pole which, for this particular side object, is assigned as a "connection" object.

But please try the new guard rails in the demo package, these are also used in the demo scene itself. The pole are part of the source mesh and use the same material as the horizontal pieces.

The HD Roads Add On does not have these guard rails in the package.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  2. raoul

raoul

Hi Crossway,

Please also see my reply to Noa3, so this is actually related to side objects part of the demo package? Can you point me to those procedural side objects that cause problems, other then the v2 guard rail mentioned by Noa3?

I will add the static option as mentioned in my previous post of yesterday.

Thanks,
    Raoul

3. Zaddo

Zaddo

Hi Raoul,

Using the API how can I determine if a road is a closed track?

Both, GetConnectionAtStart() and GetConnectionAtEnd() return null for a closed track. But they would also be null for a straight road with dead-ends.

Thanks

(Note: I also posted this question through your website contact page)

4. raoul

raoul

Hi Zaddo,

Yes, I just sent an email with something similar as below :)

I belief there is indeed no direct way to get that status through the API. I will add it. Meanwhile, what you could use it ERRoad.GetSplinePointsCenter()

The track is closed when the first and last point match.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Zaddo likes this.
  5. Shadowing

Shadowing

I just crashed again. Well it would of if I didn't force quit Unity.
    When looking at my computer memory. It starts increasing about 1gb every 4 seconds after I did Shift R on a node. Force Quit unity when it hit 24 gb so it wouldn't crash my computer. I have 32Gb.
    My guess i was probably at 8gb and it went from 8gb to 24 in about 20 seconds or so.

I was deleting a Node.
    Total Length 1.749 km, 1658 verts, 1656 tris
    4k map.

Edit: It just did it again. Guess i'll have to delete the road and start over. won't let me delete this one node. Checked my memory at at the start this time. Memory started at 5gb and once again increasing a gb every few second.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  6. raoul

raoul

Hi Shadowing,

https://forum.unity.com/threads/eas...-new-road-system.229327/page-123#post-4030291

This is what I replied to your other similar post. Just like asked in that post, can you send us a link to a project in which this happens so we can look into this and provide feedback.

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. Shadowing

Shadowing

Probably won't be able to for quite a while. Project is to large. Would take to long removing everything to shrink it. Maybe in 3 months when I get some time. Have a dead line on my game atm. Since this isn't a game breaking bug for me at this moment.

At least we know now it's not the road length or map size.

8. raoul

raoul

The reason I ask for this that this is not standard. I just tested Shift + R in a fairly large project on a 3.049 km road with 61 markers. The marker is instantly removed. The only thing I can think of is that this is somehow Unity Undo class related.

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

I am going to assume, as usual, that I am doing something wrong (I can hear you from here; "oh no, not again!") When I have two roads of different width or number of lanes (ver 3.2) and I attempt to drag one road (width 10) to connect with another (width 20) I get the red circle. I can cut the 20-Width road and manually add an intersection, nbd, but I am about to start laying out roads and thought if there was an easier way, I should ask.

Details:
    • Default Road: Width 10
    • Duplicate "Default Road" with Width 20
    • Draw one of each, and then drag the Width 10 to cross/connect to Width 20

10. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

I am not sure about the red circle? That is road / crossing snap related. Connecting two roads doesn't work like that. Two roads can be merged into one if they are of the same road type, this is not the case in your situation. The only way to connect them without using a connection prefab supporting both road types, is by attaching / inserting an I Connector to one of these roads and attach the other road to the other end of the I Connector. But knowing you are also looking into the new road lane and lane connector options, this is not supported on I Connectors yet.

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

This is what I thought, but I wanted to check to make sure. Thanks for the quick response, and have a fantastic New Year

12. Freznosis

Freznosis

I seen something asked in 2016 about some Events when using ER. Has this been added yet? I'm more so looking for something like

ERRoadNetwork
    • OnBuildRoadNetwork
    • OnRestoreRoadNetwork
    • OnFinalize
    ERRoad
    • OnUpdatedRoad
    • OnRefreshRoad
    Would be very handy for the wrapper script I'm making and would be very easy to add. Any plans?

13. raoul

raoul

Hello CloudWeight,

This is not available yet. Something similar was asked for recently but this is not requested before apart from that this has not been requested before.

We have a survey on our website which can also be used for feedback. Besides our own needs we mainly follow the feedback received through this form when prioritizing updates.

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. raoul

raoul

Thank you and a Happy New Year to you and everyone!

Raoul

JamesWjRose likes this.
  15. TrueProger

TrueProger

Hello! Tell me, please, how can I get the same smoothing radius as in the first example in the picture on the left? So that you can get the same value with a width of 14? I use Units 5.6.6! I do not use Unity 2017 and 2018 and for poor optimization for mobile devices.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  16. raoul

raoul

Hi Bogat,

The smoothness can be controlled through the number of "Rounding Segments" in "Corner / Sidewalk Settings".

Regarding the shape, especially near the line marking, please increase the "Inner Segment Distance" value in the "Corner / Sidewalk Settings".

In v3.2 this position can be defined in the road type settings for your custom road materials, it will be applied automatically on crossings like the new Flex Connector.

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. TrueProger

TrueProger

3.2 version support units 5? I use the old version of roads 8.7. I have not tried it, but if we increase the width of the road, we get a narrow radius. road2.png

JamesWjRose likes this.
  18. raoul

raoul

Please have a look at the corner options in "Corner / Sidewalk Settings", it also includes an option to set the radius.

Also, just in case, please work with road types on crossing connections rather then assigning the width manually. Your scenes will be far more manageable when working with road types.

v3.2 supports Unity 5.6.6, just like all other v3 releases, please backup your project and at least upgrade to the official version v3.1.2 / v3.1.3 if you are still using an older v3 pre beta release (8.7 as you mentioned).

Thanks,
    Raoul

19. TrueProger

TrueProger

I set the maximum radius value everywhere! Updated to version 3.1.2 there is no solution to my question! I need exactly the size of the width of the roads. Different in my sizes, the width of the usual road is 14, and you have 5. When will the new version come out with new tools for smoothing the radius of roads arbitrarily? It is still not clear how to use decals, how to create them.

20. raoul

raoul

From your first posts it wasn't that clear to me that you actually want a radius equal to the width of the road.

The max radius in the slider is indeed limited to 5.

Do you do coding? The slider min / max values are set in the main ERModularBase script attached to the main road network object: minCornerRadius, maxCornerRadius

Can you be more specific here what you are looking for? A first beta of V3.2 was released last week. This includes the options I mentioned in my previous post if that is what you are looking for. This is for the new flex connector though which still needs to be further improved.

Is this related to start / end decals for roads? These are prefabs which you can assign to the "Start / End Decals" section in "General Settings > Road Types". The free demo package and the HD Roads package include examples.

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/decals.php

Thanks,
    Raoul

21. TrueProger

TrueProger

How can I open the ERModularBase script and change the value of minCornerRadius, maxCornerRadius. My attempts to open any script do not help, it just does not start. How to open?

using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;
    using EasyRoads3Dv3;

public class PerecRadius : MonoBehaviour {
    public ERRoadNetwork roadNetwork;
    public ERModularBase roadBase;
    // Use this for initialization
    void Start () {
    roadBase.GetComponent<ERModularBase> ();
    roadBase.minCornerRadius = 0;
    roadBase.maxCornerRadius = 10;
    }

// Update is called once per frame
    void Update () {

}
    }

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  22. raoul

raoul

Don't you want to use this inside the Unity editor?

Please drop the attached script in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/

It will add a new menu item in the top menu: EasyRoads3D > Set Min Max Corner Radius

The values can be changed in the script.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Attached Files:

23. TrueProger

TrueProger

Thank you for help! I am very happy! Now setting the radius is just what you need!

raoul likes this.
  24. TrueProger

TrueProger

Hello! I had another question, so I created my own preset of the road, I can’t divide them in the editor, so I can’t divide it into 2 parts, so that the dirt would be separate from the asphalt. Why do you need to ask? The fact is that you need to make 2 different physical materials! Is there a solution to this problem? 1232df.jpg

25. raoul

raoul

That is correct. That will be added. Meanwhile you could add separate matching colliders as childs to the prefab in the project folder.

Thanks,
    Raoul

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello, so i just post here my first bridge i made with Easyroad, thx for the help !

There is a little gap at the bridge start and end, so i made 2 I connectors, each side of the bride, and added more bridge... I know, its a mess lol

03.jpg 02.jpg 01.jpg

Jbs_GameZone likes this.
  27. raoul

raoul

Hi Samuel,

Unless you want these gaps between bridge sections. I don't think it is necessary to use I Connectors here between separate road sections.

Side objects can be activated / deactivated per marker. So in this case you can activate the bridge for the marker saections covering the river. Then the start / end offset options in the side object section can be used to fine tune the brdige position. This can also be done in Scene View, the H key toggle on/off the handles for these offsets. For the start offset select the first marker for which the bridge is active, for the end offset select the last marker where the brdige is active. In your case it seems this is the same marker.

If you want these gaps between bridge sections then indeed the I Connector can be used here.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Deleted User likes this.
  28. Deleted User

Deleted User

I remade the bride correctly

bridge.png

Jbs_GameZone, hopeful and raoul like this.
  29. Shadowing

Shadowing

No worries man. I understand. If i created a new road and hit Shift +R im sure it would delete just fine too. Its not something that happens all the time. But I think when I have a road where its happening and I send you the project then you will be able to duplicate. Hopefully i'll get some time in the near future to send you a project.

raoul likes this.
  30. o1o101

o1o101

Hi @raoul I have an issue where in edit mode, side objects look fine, however after building they snap to the edge of the road. However after building, If I manually select the road and turn the side object on/off they are in the correct position.

This is expected distance, notice distance. upload_2019-1-3_20-37-21.png

And this is what happens after building, notice how the side objects snap to the edge of the road.

upload_2019-1-3_20-38-5.png

I imagine this is just something stupid on my end.

31. raoul

raoul

Hi deverolirc,

Depending on the side object settings, the height might adjust to the new terrain height after building, but the position relative to the edge or center of the road should remain the same.

Can you show the side object settings, especially the bottom part "Control Settings"?

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. o1o101

o1o101

Sure, here you go!
    upload_2019-1-4_1-10-16.png

33. raoul

raoul

This is related to X Position set to 0. Apparantly the random X Position is ignored when switching to build mode. That will be fixed in the next update.

Thank you very much for reporting this!

Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  34. o1o101

o1o101

No problem, any temp work around, or ETA on next update?

35. raoul

raoul

There is no temp work around. What you could do to make this look better is, set X Position to 0.87 and the random Min / Max X Position values within 0 and 0.23.

I will look at this today, there is no ETA for the next update, v3.1.3 is still pending approval by the asset store team. Once it gets approved, this fix will not be part of it! I can send an update with a fix once done if you want.

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. swnc

swnc

Hi Raoul,

You have mentioned that with the new Flex connector, creating motorway exists is possible. However, I have to create a highway road network with motorway exists via scripting API. Is it possible with the v3.2 beta or will it be possible with the next release?

Thanks,
    swnc

37. o1o101

o1o101

Hey, that would be amazing. Thanks!

38. raoul

raoul

Hi swnc,

The Flex Connector could be used for that, but v3.2 will have another new connector type attached to road objects with options specifically for motorway exits. In any case, access to the new Flex Connector is not yet added to the scripting API in the first beta.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. raoul

raoul

This is fixed, I will send an update to you later.

Thanks,
    Raoul

40. Ben_Iyan

Ben_Iyan

What is the recommended way to update ER3D Pro? I'm upgrading from 3.02 to the current version and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to delete the old ER folder before installing the new, or if I should just install over the old.

41. raoul

raoul

Hi Ben_lyan,

You can import over the old version. Please do not remove the current ER folder, this will remove possibly created crossing prefabs, road types and side objects. It is recommended to backup the project first before upgrading.

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. colin_young

colin_young

I've managed to solve the first issue I ran into (https://forum.unity.com/threads/eas...-new-road-system.229327/page-123#post-4042666, solution at https://github.com/mapbox/mapbox-unity-sdk/issues/1207) and now I've got a few more questions, mostly around the API:
    1. If I set up a test scene, create a bunch of road types, modify them to suit my liking with side objects, materials, etc. if I then export those and import them into another project, do they come with all the side objects, materials, etc? Or will I need to set that all up in the target project?
    2. I'd like to use the "walk bridge" from the demo scene in my project, but it's not immediately clear to me how to do so since it doesn't appear as a road type. If I do #1, then set IsSideObject true on a road type configured with that the correct way to go?
    3. How do I connect roads to connectors? Can I just instantiate a connector in the right spot and then ... I'm not sure what. I don't see anything that looks like it would allow me to connect a road to a connector. Assume that I have the ability to find "nearby" road nodes and/or the connector location (all my roads have a node at the connector location and I can add a dataset containing connector locations if that simplifies things).
    Haven't figured out sidewalks or how to do parallel and angled parking lanes, but I think that's just me taking some time to read up on side objects and viewing some more tutorials.

43. raoul

raoul

Hi Colin,

Glad to hear you the mapbox related issue fixed.

Road types and side objects are exported separately. The generated package include a prefab with the relevant data , which can be used in the import options in the other project, and all dependencies like materials

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/so_import_export.php

You could do a simple test, one road type, one side object

Since crossings are involved, for roads it is very much recommended to work with road types, it makes everything much easier manageable.

For individual side objects not attached to roads it is optional. If you have for example fence side objects that will be used often as separate objects not attached to roads, then it is much easier to create a new "Road Type", mark it as Side Object (no road will be generated) and activate the fence side object. This will instantly create the fence.

Otherwise you can create a new object without selecting a road type, toggle on "Side Object" and add the new object. In this state it will simply create the spline curve, no road will be generated. Side objects can be activated manually for this object.

This is a little bit unclear, are you asking how to work with crossings / connectors in general? This is shown in various videos and handled in the manual:

http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/intersections.html

Or is this scripting API related? Do you want to attach roads to crossings through code?

I am not sure what you want to do with sidewalks and angled parking lanes, that might be complicated, certainly through the scripting API. Sidewalks will get an upgrade in v3.3 with more options.

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. colin_young

colin_young

That's where I'm a bit confused. I didn't see the "walk bridge" as a road type at all in the demo scene, yet the "road" is clearly there. I did find it under side objects however, so I'm trying to work out how to create the correct road type so that I can access it through the scripting API, because it seems that I can't manipulate side object through the API so need to set them up prior to trying to use them. Hopefully it will all become clearer when I start experimenting with exporting/importing road types/side objects. I am planning to do everything through road types. I have code that reads the properties from the Mapbox vector tiles and then determines the type of road to assign. I don't want to do _any_ ad-hoc road configuration at runtime, other than (maybe) setting width.

Through the API. I've figured out how to do it in the UI, but my roads are 100% generated by script. I'm assuming I'm going to need to 1. find all the nodes that need to connect and then 2. connect them to the connector. But, I don't see any methods in the docs that look like I can connect an ERRoad to an ERConnection. I do see an "UnConnect" method though and the ERRoadNetwork.ConnectRoads methods look to combine 2 roads into a single road.

I'm not even seeing sidewalks on any of the road types I imported from the demo scene. But, I haven't really dug into that one at all yet. As for the "angled parking" I think I'll be able to handle that similar to the residential area roads and the parking separators by replacing the alder trees with different side objects, e.g. a pad with a road line decal rotated to 45 degrees and spacing adjusted. We'll see...

45. raoul

raoul

Yes, in that case, when generating side objects through the scripting API, you indeed want to create a new "road type" with this side object active. That way you can create a new object using that "road type" and the side object will be created automatically, also through the scripting API.

First you need to load the source connector from the project folder.

ERRoadNetwork class

public ERConnection[] GetConnections()
    public ERConnection GetConnectionByName(string name)

Then you can either attach crossings to a road in the direction of the road. This will return the new connection instance.

ERRoad class

public ERConnection AttachToEnd(ERConnection sourceConnection, int connectionIndex)
    public ERConnection AttachToStart(ERConnection sourceConnection, int connectionIndex)

Or you can instantiate them directly in the scene and connect roads. This will also return the new connection instance

ERRoadNetwork class

public ERConnection InstantiateConnection(ERConnection sourceConnection, string name, Vector3 position, Vector3 eulerRotation)

Connect roads to already existing connection instances

ERRoad class

public bool ConnectToStart(ERConnection connectionObject, int connectionIndex)
    public bool ConnectToEnd(ERConnection connectionObject, int connectionIndex)

The logic of which connection index to connect to is currently something you have to code. The ERConnection class has for example something like:

public Vector3 GetLocalConnectionPosition(int connectionIndex)

This can be useful to get the nearest connection to a road or the connection, usually also the connection with the most logical angle.

Sidewalk are currently set and activated on crossings, attached roads inherit these settings. In v3.2 it will be possible to create sidewalk presets in general settings and assign them to both roads and crossings individually.

Dedicated parking options is on the list, this will also allow more control. Currently this can be done as side objects like in the HD Roads package.

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. colin_young

colin_young

That all makes sense, and thanks for the pointer to the (now obvious) ConnectTo* methods. I'm now in the process of building out my road types and connection types, but I'm running into a bit of a snag. Road types work fine, but when I try to create a Crossing Prefab I immediately run into a problem because there are no buttons allowing me to either save the prefab or exit the editor. I am running Unity 2018.0.3f2on OS X and I did install the 2018 asset package of EasyRoads. I've also tried 3.2.b1 and have exactly the same problem (I did not however try the non-2018 version of ER with Unity 2018).

It does work in Unity 2017, so that will probably serve as a work-around.

EasyRoadsMissingPrefabButtons.png

47. raoul

raoul

Hello Colin,

Do you want to create a new dynamic connection prefab from a specific road type? How did you create it?

Can you try General Settings > Road Types > "Create New Connection Prefab" button just below .the material options. This will instantly create a new dynamic prefab with the specific road type assigned.

Creating / Editing new dynamic prefabs the old way, through General Settings > Crossing / Connection Prefabs is indeed broken in v3.1.2 and also in v3.1.3 in Unity 2018. This is related to Unity 2018.3, the old approach did not work in Unity 2018.3, so we made some changes but this is now actually completely broken, indeed with respect to saving the changes and when dropping a source prefab in the scene for editing. This will be fixed.

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. jalapen0

jalapen0

Hello, I bought this asset a few years ago. I have a need for some roads in my current project so I would like to use it. There are many options and features but my needs are pretty simple. I only need a simple grid of roads with city blocks. All intersections the same, at 90 degree angles, all blocks the same size. Nothing fancy. Think grid paper. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do this. Is there a simple tutorial on how to do it? I need to put the roads on a mesh with no deformation. Is this possibly the wrong asset for my use case? Thanks!

49. raoul

raoul

Hello jalapen0,

If you need x crosisngs at 90 degree angles I would recommend to use the grid option. General Settings > Scene Settings > Global grid. You can set the cell size, you can also create local grids with different rotations.

The advantage of using grids is that crossings and road markers will snap to the gird cell corners. It makes it easy to create your 90 degree angle city blocks.

Also, General Settings > Scene Settings > Mesh Terrain, drop your mesh terrain in this slot. Road markers and crossings will now snap to this mesh when using Shift + Click to add them to the scene.

Is there anything else you need?

Thanks,
    Raoul

50. jalapen0

jalapen0

Thanks for the help. I still don't understand though. I followed your instructions, then added a new road object and it's not snapping to the grid.

Capture.GIF