Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Crossway

Crossway

Recently I've removed RTP and now I'm using CTS but it looks like Easy Roads can't draw splat texture with CTS.

2. raoul

raoul

Hi TonismoGames,

Did the reimport solve the issue?

In general you may want to be careful removing the full folder, especially when working with custom prefabs based on meshes or when creating dynamic prefabs based on your own road types. These prefabs will be removed as well.

Thanks,
    Raoul

3. raoul

raoul

Hi Crossway,

This is terrain splatmap related, the road shape can be baked in any of the terrain splatmap textures.. In what way can't EasyRoads draw splat textures?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Crossway likes this.
  4. Crossway

Crossway

Yes, I need to draw a sand splatmap texture under my road. I could to that with RTP but seems it's doesn't work with CTS.

5. raoul

raoul

That should work in a similar way. EasyRoads3D supports up to 12 splatmap textures. I just did a quick test and it appears to work well in general accept for the texture prototypes 9 to 12. I will look into that. Is your problem related to that?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  6. raoul

raoul

A quick v3.2 note

For those who are waiting for the new 3.2 traffic options and like to try it out asap, a beta package is ready with this part fully functional. However while testing other v3.2 features, a bug was found when using a specific option for the new Flex Connector. Ideally this should be resolved first before uploading to the asset store. A short video needs to be prepared as well.

But for those who already like to try the new road type lane and connector lane info options for traffic, please let me know and I can send the package.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Noa3 and Rowlan like this.
  7. raoul

raoul

Hi CrIxX91,

Regarding the Unity asset store, I guess it requires being logged in with this account. Alternatively you can email the invoice number and I can provide a key for our website downloads.

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. besi

besi

What is the best way to implement holes in the road using EasyRoads3D? Ideally randomly placed. Something like this:

9. raoul

raoul

Hello besi,

That will come closer in v3.2 which supports roads with thickness (like in your image) on built-in crossings, also for randomly placed holes.

At the moment this can be done by generating the road as a procedural side object based on a road mesh section with the holes already part of, so the holes will not be random.

Thanks,
    Raoul

10. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

upload_2018-12-20_18-39-41.png
    I have ran into this issue when generating terrain.How do I fix this?

11. raoul

raoul

Hi TonismoGames,

Can you show what this looks like in Edit Mode with the white surfaces, or the other highlight options visible: General Settings > Scene View > Hide White Surfaces.

The crossings are not the built-in crossings but imported models. It is not clearly visible, but it seems that the exit connection is parallel to the main motorway and before the motorway connection. Perhaps that does not work well? Would it be possible to send them to use in the case that these white surfaces are not generated correctly?

The motorway exit connections that will be part of v3.2, will extend slightly further and point more outwards.

Or, perhaps the angle with the connection on the right is too sharp? In that case can you test moving the existing marker or insert a marker and make this angle less sharp? This was actually something that could happen in previous versions. Please let me know if this is what is causing the problem and happening in the current v3.1.2.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  12. Leniaal

Leniaal

Hello,

I'm looking to create a motorway ramp quite like the image below. Would the current EasyRoads3D system allow me to do this? If so, is there any tutorial available? I can see you are working on improving this for v3.2 and I wouldn't mind using a beta version if it's remotely stable and would really improve the workflow for me.

upload_2018-12-21_13-27-29.png

Regards,

Lenne

13. raoul

raoul

Hello lenne,

The image is a little bit small, the detail is not clearly visible but indeed motorway ramps will be part of v3.2

The first v3.2 beta is about ready, but it doesn't include the new motorway ramp option yet. This is one of the next new v3.2 features that will be introduced. Generating a prototype shape is implemented, this must be further optimized. As far as this being stable, it will be fairly stable as it uses already existing components. What may need to be improved over next releases is shape options etc. But that doesn't stop you from already using it, existing ramps can be refreshed to take advantage of updates and feedback is always very welcome.

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. Leniaal

Leniaal

Hello Raoul,

It's simply put just a road merging into the highway, nothing really special about it. The one in the image has an emergency lane, which is not necessary for me. Or see the second image and ignore all the text. So basically it would just be a short 3rd lane for about 100-200M to merge into the main road (highway).

Is there a place where we can see the full feature list for v3.2?

upload_2018-12-21_14-36-24.png

Regards,

Lenne

15. raoul

raoul

Yes this will look similar with several options to control the shape of the merge section.

There will be a v3.2 beta page on our website with features, info, etc. It will also include a feature list. The manin features are, the new Flex Connector, Road type upgrade supporting custom shapes and defining lane info for AI purposes. Both will be part of the first v3.2 beta. After that Motorway exits and the sidewalk upgrade will follow. These are the main new features, but there will be more new options.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Leniaal likes this.
  16. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

@raoul Thank You, I managed to fix it by lowering the height of the connector.I can't wait for the merge highway system. I want to build a super highway.

raoul likes this.
  17. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hello, I've just purchased EasyRoads3D Pro and started playing with the EasyRoads3D Demo project.

Does anyone know why no InsertDynamicPrefabs are displayed as shown in this YT clip :

Screenshot 2018-12-22 at 09.28.15.png

And my workspace with the demo scene from Demo project, with a road node selected (in edit mode) and no dynamic prefabs displayed :

Workspace2.png

Thanks

18. raoul

raoul

Hello Jbs_GameZone,

That is probably related to the prefab display slider status in the Inspector. The road snapping feature and inserting crossings was added in v3.1. The display of matching prefabs is currently only active for text only buttons without thumbnails. Can you try moving the Prefab Display Slider to the left?

I will make a note to fix this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Jbs_GameZone likes this.
  19. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Many thanks Raoul for the quick feedback, moving the slider to the left solved the issue :cool:

raoul likes this.
  20. Shadowing

Shadowing

@raoul do you test easy roads out much on 16k maps?
    Wonder if that is causing my crashing issues. Crashed while removing a road point.

Actually I noticed my memory was at max almost. Mostly likely was do to that. Seems Vegetation studio has a memory leak going on.

I just used delete object and that worked just fine.

21. raoul

raoul

Hi Shadowing,

Large maps are brought up frequently. Usually the questions are related to for example splitting the road network based on terrain tiles, not crash related. So I would think more is involved here. Does this happen on a specific road / road setup? Long roads, roads with many or complex side objects activated? Does this always happen on a specific road. In that case, can the issue be isolated? Duplicate the scene, remove all other road network objects, remove other possibly involved assets? Can you otherwise email us the project ./ scene so we can look at it?

A road object can be deleted manually from the hierarchy or by selecting it in the road network and in the Inspector > Road Settings (at the top) > Delete Object (near the bottom in Road Settings)

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. raoul

raoul

Both Vv3.1.3 and v3.2 beta 1 are now available on our website

v3.1.3 includes some first Unity 2018.3 changes and fixes for issues when opening dynamic prefabs in Unity 2018.3.

It also includes some requests and improvements like duplicating road types, shadow mode settings on combined side objects matching the source prefab and fixes for possible wrong tangents on procedural side objects.

The v3.2 package is the first v3.2 beta with more options for roads types now supporting custom road shapes and lane definition for AI purposes. The demo package includes a small scene with an example using this data through the scripting API, the same script was used at the end of the below video. The other new feature in this first bv3,2 beta is the Flex Connector. This connector supports flexible Y, X crossings and more. There are some limitations in this first beta.

For full 3.2 beta info and notes related to the below video, please visit: http://unityterraintools.com/v3beta.php

The v3.1.3 asset store update will be uploaded today. The first v3.2 beta will only be available through our website, please contact us for a serial number if you did not register your copy yet.

As always, please backup your project first before importing updates.

Happy holidays to all!

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  23. Shadowing

Shadowing

Thanks man for supporting 2018.3 in a timely manner.
    Really appreciate it.

Cheers!

hopeful likes this.
  24. raoul

raoul

This is the first update with 2018.3 related improvements, more updates mainly taking advantage of the new prefab system will follow.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Willbkool_FPCS and Mark_01 like this.
  25. o1o101

o1o101

@raoul Hi, how can I get connection prefabs to update the splat map?

26. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Came here to view the Lane Info, but the Flex Connector, YEA!!!!! F! YEA!!

27. raoul

raoul

Hi deverolic,

Indeed there are currently no options to bake the shape of the connection prefab itself in the terrain splatmap. However, the shape of the connected roads should bake in the terrain splatmap interpolated to the center of the connection prefab. More precise control is on the list though, thiscan be useful for custom connection prefabs too.

Baking the shape of connection prefabs in the terrain splat map is planned for 3.3 including support for side objects on connection prefabs.

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. hacker9001

hacker9001

hi , i just had this book after built scene and don't know how to fix upload_2018-12-27_11-44-41.png

29. raoul

raoul

Hi hacker9001,

Does that happen on longer roads and does it start further away from the start? In that case it is probably related to UV floating point inaccuracies. It can be resolved by inserting I Connectors which can also be useful regarding LOD Groups. Crossings will also break roads in shorter sections

Or you can switch of compression for UV0 in Player Settings > Vertex Compression.

Thanks,
    Raoul

30. ksam2

ksam2

Hi,
    I need to move a train on my road/rail but I can't figure out how should I find center of road to move my train on it?

31. raoul

raoul

Hi ksam2,

The scripting API provides access to the road spline data, in this case

Code (csharp):
    1. //get a reference to the road network
    2. ERRoadNetwork network = new ERRoadNetwork();
    4. // get a reference to the road
    5. ERRoad road = network.GetRoadByName(string name);
    7. // or
    8. ERRoad road = network.GetRoadByGameObject(GameObject object);
    10. // get the spline data in the center of the railroad
    11. Vector3[] points = road.GetSplinePointsCenter();
    The main Pro package includes a runtime scene where an object follows a road in the center. This scene will be replaced soon with an example of the new traffic AI options in v3.2, but the example above will probably still be useful for railroads.

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. wumn

wumn

Hello, I used unity2018.3, and I made a section of road on my terrain. After I clicked build terrain, there appeared a seam between the terrain.And it can't Restore Terrain
    upload_2018-12-28_15-53-53.png
    upload_2018-12-28_15-54-15.png
    upload_2018-12-28_15-54-56.png

33. DodgyThings

DodgyThings

Hi,

Im trying to build a road network and I have a few basic questions (ive browsed the forum searching for answers but there are a few posts to go through, so im sorry if this has already been answered):

Sometimes I want the road to have a 90 degree bend (or less) without taking out the curve cause by the spline and I have tried a few ways messing with the angle and resolution, as well as the curve bend. However, it feels like this is not how the issue is meant to be solved? It messes with the texture and stuff...

Moreover, im getting issues when trying to open the custom prefab editor window -
    "MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.ProceduralMaterial.GetGeneratedTextures'.
    QDDOOQOOQDDD.OnGUI ()"

together with

"GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)"

Any help would be appreciated!

34. raoul

raoul

Hello wumn,

We have tested a multi terrain setup in Unity 2018.3 using the new "Create Neighbor Terrains" options. All appears to work well and no issues have been reported so far.

In what way does the restore not work? Do you get error messages? What is your terrain setup? Are you using a third party terrain tool? Were the terrains created in Unity 2018.3 or in an earlier version? Would it be possible to email us a link to the project so we can look at it?

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. raoul

raoul

Hello DodgyThings,

Which version of EasyRoads3D do you use and in which version of Unity? Anything related to ProceduralMaterial (part of the error message) was removed in an early v3 release because Unity 2018 no longer has built-in support for ProceduralMaterial.

"Clean" 90 degree bends can be done using the circular controller type.

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. colin_young

colin_young

I'm trying to use EasyRoads3D with Mapbox and I've run into a couple issues. I am using the scripting API to create the roads. One is obvious with no obvious solution, the other is, well...
    1. Mapbox doesn't generate a Unity terrain. Instead they create a mesh to represent the terrain. Obviously ER doesn't like that. Furthermore, their mesh is only generated at runtime, meaning any of the scripts available to convert meshes to terrain, all of which I've only seen for the editor, aren't of any help. At least not as-is. Do you have any suggestions how to get around this problem? Perhaps a brilliant idea how to convert a mesh to a terrain? Performance isn't a huge concern -- if I have to take a minute or 2 to convert at start up, I'm okay with that.
    2. None of the roads appear to be in the correct positions, nor are they connected to themselves (see attached where I modified the code to only add a single road feature). The log indicates the vector array passed was (205.8, 3.9, -270.0),(204.9, 3.9, -267.7),(202.9, 4.3, -252.6), so how we managed to get 2 disconnected road segments out of 3 points is beyond me (one would assume 4 points are required). Initially I thought the issue was due to not having any terrain so I added a dummy flat terrain and got the exact same results.
    Relevant details:
    • Unity 2018.3.0f2 Personal
    • EasyRoads3d (according to Release - Install Notes.txt): v1.2 : 143-07-01-2018 - I hope that's out of date as I just purchased it on 2018-12-24 from the Asset Store (I've been attempting to register my purchase on https://www.unityterraintools.com/download.php# but never get beyond the spinner)
    • Mapbox Unity SKD: 2.0.0
    Code to generate roads:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (_roadNetwork == null) _roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork();
    2. ...
    3. _roadNetwork.CreateRoad(roadName, roadSegment.ToArray());
    4. // roadSegment is List<Vector3> with contents as shown in text
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Attached Files:

37. raoul

raoul

Hi colin_young,

EasyRoads3D will not update Mesh terrains but a Unity terrain object is not necessarily required to generate roads. That is also the case when generating the roads through the scripting API. The build options however should not be used, this part also involves updating the terrain which will not work on a mesh terrain.

Is the code you posted the full code that is used? These two lines really should generate only one road. I just did a test to double check this in an empty scene, no Unity terrain object present. The road is created as it should.

What are the marker positions of the roads after they are generated? Have you tried this in an empty scene with just these two lines of code?

These are the release notes and version of the additional demo scene package. The registration process / connecting to the Unity server, does not work well since our server was upgraded to a secure server. Can you send your invoice number by email or PM, I will send you a key for the website downloads.

Thanks,
    Raoul

EDIT: I see you also send an email, I will email you the key.

38. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Hello gang,

I am working with the beta of 3.2 because I want/need lanes and I did something sort f'ed up and I thought I should post it here so others don't bother Raoul with the same issue.

When making a Road Type with the number of lanes you want to have make sure you make a matching intersection prefab. Otherwise there can be problems (duh)

EDIT: **I** had an issue connecting an intersection with 4 lane roads and two lane roads. What **I** didn't see while first reviewing the video is that the intersection MUST be set as a flex connector, then set each connection to the Road Type that is connected to it (again; duh!) It's a good pattern, I just didn't understand. (or didn't pay enough attention. my bad!)

So now you know.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    raoul likes this.
  39. raoul

raoul

Yes, lane info is set for road types. That way the same data can be used instantly on intersection prefabs provided that this road type is assigned.

The easiest way to do that for new road types for which no intersection prefab exists yet is by pressing "Create New Connection Prefab" near the bottom of the Main Settings for this Road Type. This new connection prefab will be available in the connections tab. In Unity 2018.3 connection prefabs can also be dropped directly in the scene from the project folder.

Thanks,
    Raoul

JamesWjRose likes this.
  40. colin_young

colin_young

Thanks for getting the license/registration sorted so quickly.

After doing some more digging (and dropping to only attempting to draw a single road), it appears that the issue is probably with the Mapbox code, not EasyRoads. Or at least it's with the way I'm using the Mapbox code. I added some logging to mouse click raycasting to report the coordinates of the roads after generation, and those locations correspond perfectly.

Here's the current situation:
    1. The Mapbox drawing code results in extruded lines exactly where I expect the roads to be, but... if I draw debug rays to the points it is using to generate the lines, most of the rays go nowhere near where the road actually is drawn.
    2. My custom code calling ER results in rows that are placed exactly where the debug rays indicate they will be.
    So I've got one situation where the road appears to not be drawn in the location corresponding to the coordinates but ends up in the correct spot, and another where the road is drawn in the location corresponding to the coordinates, but the coordinates appear incorrect. When I look at the actual coordinates, they look clearly wrong:

Creating road 'Iron Age Street' from points (205.8, 3.9, -270.0),(204.9, 3.9, -267.7),(202.9, 4.3, -252.6)
    Creating road 'Iron Age Street' from points (248.9, 1.7, 229.8),(207.8, 3.6, 265.2),(205.8, 3.8, 270.0)

The X and Y values seem correct -- at least relative to each other -- (it's a slight uphill and a short section of road with a left turn and ~20m and ~40m seems about right) but something is going on with the Z values. The entire road is definitely not > 500m long and the 2 segments are definitely not that far apart. And both segments are in the wrong location.

Since the first case starts with GeoJson in the correct location and results in roads in the correct location, I can only conclude that I'm missing a step somewhere and will need to follow up with the Mapbox team. Once I find the cause/solution, I'll update here in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

speaking of roads..what kind of shape file from World Machine can I import?...I have roads & paths I would like to bring in.
    it exports multiple formats with a vector line.
    Thanks, Patrick

42. raoul

raoul

Hello Colin,

Thank you for confirming that the coordinates of the roads created through the EasyRoads3D scripting API are indeed generated correctly. It is hard to comment on your Mapbox implementation. Let me know if you need anything from our end.

Thanks,
    Raoul

43. raoul

raoul

Hello ForceVFX,

Supported for importing road data are currently OSM and KML. If you need anything specific please let us know, we can look into that.

Additionally, roads can be created through the scripting API. That way you can also make your own importer.

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. Crossway

Crossway

Everytime I build roads it marks those as Static and I have to set roads to none again that is too annoying. Can't find an option to create a road without static enabled at first place.

45. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I'm not the asset dev, but why wouldn't you want your roads to be static? They aren't going to move.

Willbkool_FPCS and Mark_01 like this.
  46. Shadowing

Shadowing

Hey @raoul I decided to ditch the 16k map and now im using 4k. Gonna switch to using 4k tiles instead.
    anyways Easy Roads runs so much better on 4k tiles. Now i won't have resolution issues to when molding the terrain. Everything will look alot better.

raoul likes this.
  47. Crossway

Crossway

There is two reasons! first I'm using floating origin script that moves everything to center spot, and second I don't want lighting start building lightmaps everytime I build the roads.

Also I have another issue that I can't set material for a procedural side object I've created and I should reassign that material again and again everytime I build roads.

48. raoul

raoul

Hello Crossway,

You could temporarily switch off auto building lighting in the lighting window. But if you want we can add a "static" option for road types and individual road objects.

Procedural side objects use the material assigned to the source mesh. I think that is the most logical way to handle this, there are no known issues with that. What problems do you have with this?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Crossway likes this.
  49. Noa3

Noa3

i think it has to do something with the import of the Orginal Demo files and/or DemoProject/HD Roads Addon.
    a material got broken and showed a Pink Error material.

i got the problem recently too.
    the orginal Mesh lost somehow the material and on creating

bug.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Crossway likes this.
  50. Crossway

Crossway

A static option would be really useful specially for me that have lots of roads and rails in the scene. (Also I can't untick all static together and I must select roads one by one to untick its static state)

About procedural side objects I have same issue Noa3 explained above. :)