Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Shadowing

Shadowing

Hey @raoul Think in the near future you can get easy roads to work with multi core processors. Its pretty laggy right now using it with Vegetation Studio Pro.

But i dont know it used to run good with it. Maybe cause im now using .Net 4x?
    Do you use .Net 4x or 3x during development?

2. raoul

raoul

Hi OFFICIAL_bryanw,

I am not sure now, the free version does not include the scripting API. What exactly do you want to do? Do you see the EasyRoads3D toolbar in the Inspector when selecting the main road network. object. In that case, the road network is not finalized otherwise it is.

Thanks,
    Raoul

3. raoul

raoul

Hi Shadowing,

It is .NET 3.5. What happens when you switch off Vegetation Studio when working on the road network? Contrary to removing standard Unity terrain vegetation which is done in Build Mode, for Vegetation Studio it is a continuous process. It is based on the Vegetation Studio mask line component.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. Shadowing

Shadowing

Ya i'll have to test more later. There is a bug atm with this version of vegetation studio where switching vegetation studio off in the editor resets my area masks. So after that gets fixed i'll look more into it.

raoul likes this.
  5. Noa3

Noa3

i have a work in Progress Project for you, pls use it for Learning Only.
    it have some bugs and i wait with further work on the new version but it should do what you near want, i think.

you can create splines on road shape based, give it a direction and the Cars will maybe(because its full of bugs) follow it.
    TestDrive.jpg

Attached Files:

raoul and Mark_01 like this.
  6. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I am not the developer of this asset, however I have used the API for this asset to have traffic move along the roads. The full source code for this can be found here: https://github.com/Blissgig/Easy-Roads-3D-Traffic

It is designed for Hover Cars, but it will give you enough info to see how it works so you can adjust it to your needs

raoul and Mark_01 like this.
  7. Noa3

Noa3

jeah i used this as Fundament for my Package, i need later to add Traffic signs and roads with different speeds, this is why i created it new. but thx for reposting

8. OFFICIAL_bryanw

OFFICIAL_bryanw

Do you know if there is an "easy" way to gain access to the mesh that defines the road surfaces? I'd like to recover the lanes of the road using the road mesh itself.

9. raoul

raoul

@Noa3 and @JamesWjRose

Initially the new lane data was only going to be supported on the new v3.2 Flex Connector in the first v3.2 beta. But upon request it is currently already being added to the current X and T crossing types too. I probably need a couple of days more and then it will be available.

For example Min / Max Speed values can be set per road type and customized on crossings. If you guys like to see more options like this please let me know.

Thanks
    Raoul

hopeful and JamesWjRose like this.
  10. raoul

raoul

Hi OFFICIAL_bryanw,

I am not sure how you want to use this to recover lanes but you can get access to the mesh data through and editor script. For example:

Selection.activeGameObject.GetComponent<MeshFilter>().sharedMesh

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Awesome, awesome. Cannot wait (but of course I will wait)

12. Noa3

Noa3

for me is important to set the direction for driving, on the lane. for driving on the left or right side of the road.

hopeful likes this.
  13. hopeful

hopeful

That's a good one ... as not only are there regional differences, but also it's common in big cities to have multiple lanes all traveling one way (and no lanes going the other way). For any vehicle turning onto a one-way street, it would be good to know which direction to travel.

14. raoul

raoul

Hi Noa3,

In the new lane info section in road types the lanes count can be set. Based on this number it will automatically set left / right lanes which are editable afterwards. Currently only right hand driving is supported, but left hand driving will be added as well if that is what you meant. It is only a matter of reversing lane / connector data.

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. raoul

raoul

Hi hopeful,

One way driving needs more attention. The lane count can be set to one, but what will be the logic here, in what direction will it be for a specific road? I don't think this can be automated so more controls must be added for this to swap the direction per road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. hopeful

hopeful

I'm mostly familiar with one-way streets that used to be two-way, but due to traffic congestion in an urban area, two neighboring parallel streets were adjusted so that - say - the north one has all the lanes going east, and the south street has all the lanes going west.

I've not been to NYC, but I gather from pictures that they can have 4-6 lanes all going the same direction, or something like that. In China that would probably be 12 lanes. ;)

I'm not sure how the speed limit is set on the road, but maybe direction (one-way, two-way) is set at the same time? And I guess that is at the intersection, as the road markings would differ, and so would turns.

JamesWjRose likes this.
  17. raoul

raoul

Automatically make the north road go east and the south road road go west may get complicated, and parallel roads going north / south? :) But it can at least be made in a way that opposite one way roads always go in the same direction. So if the direction is changed on one road section, all opposite sections at intersections will change accordingly.

Yes, when I wrote that the lane count can be set to one that was only to say that a one lane road in a single direction is supported. Multiple lanes will be split automatically in left / right lanes but this can be changed manually. They can all point in the same direction.

Min Max Speed can be set in the road type. Currently these same values will be copied to lane connectors on intersections which can then be manually adjusted per instance. Alternatively separate Min Max speed values for intersections can be added as well to road types, specifically used for intersection lane connectors. That is what I meant when I asked if there is anything additional you guys like to see added. It will be a continuous process and this will only be the first beta, more can be added later.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  18. Noa3

Noa3

Maybe (i think its my own work?) adding an info, what can driving ont this road, like Light,Medium,Heavy Cars, Bicyles or Bus. and on the Train Rail can only a Train Drive xD

Sideways maybe too for pedestrians/ bicylists? but i had read somwhere you will rework this too, so maybe wait for this is bether

3. (same as 1, i dont know if i need to do this myshelf) Trafficlights and a Easy Posibility to set the timer and change the model
    if dont do this, i will make it myshelf later and maybe post it here

19. raoul

raoul

This is added to the list for future updates

Yes, that is on the list, JamesWjRose suggested this as well in a conversation.

That is on the list as well. Your further suggestions on this do make things more complicated :) once you start thinking about the implementation. This has to be thought out further. At this stage the focus is more to provide easy access to data required for traffic AI. So in this case that probably means, somehow link a specific road lane to a specific traffic light gameobject. Just like with the road system itself, this will be a continuous process, more options will be added.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Mark_01 likes this.
  20. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I live on 5th Ave in NYC and you are correct that we have 4 lanes going one way. Not just on 5th, but on most of the Avenues in Manhattan

21. pandakeeper

pandakeeper

@raoul
    What does the error "EasyRoads3Dv3: A source prefab is still in the scene.Please Save / Delete this prefab first before continuing work on the road network itself." mean?
    It happens when I use the codes bellow to instantiate some connections , and then click the gameobject "Road Network",. At the same time, these connections are moved to be the children of "Temp Crossing Prefabs". However, not all kinds of custom connection I instantiated trigger this error and I cannot find the difference bettwen theirs.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var net = new ERRoadNetwork();
    2. var s = new List<ERConnection>(net.LoadConnections());
    3. var so = s.Find(x => x.name == t.prefab.name);
    4. net.InstantiateConnection(so, t.prefab.name, Vector3.zero, Vector3.zero);

22. raoul

raoul

Let's see after the first release how we can optimize this sort of things further :) But 4 lanes in the same direction is already possible.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    JamesWjRose likes this.
  23. raoul

raoul

Hi pandakeeper,

What you describe is the same as what happens when a "source" connection prefab is dropped in the scene from the project folder for editing. Source prefabs should not be used within a road network and they should be removed after editing, hence the warning. This will no longer be the case when this is updated to Unity 2018.3, where prefabs can be edited in the prefab editor window.

So it seems that the instantiated prefab through the scripting API is not correctly marked as a "scene" object on your end.

I just did a quick test on built in crossing types, this appears to work correctly, they are part of the road network afterwards.

On which type of prefabs does this happen for you?

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. hopeful

hopeful

That would be four driving lanes and two lanes used for parking, right? I'm not quite sure how to count curbside parking ... I suppose it is a lane ...?

25. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Actually I checked out the window and it's 3 lanes + two parking lanes. I would swear it's 4 + 2 (wrong!)

hopeful likes this.
  26. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

What defines the number of lanes? ie: Is it the width of a connection? Or?

27. pandakeeper

pandakeeper

Thanks for your reply. I have sent an e-mail with the connection to info@unityterraintools.com.

28. raoul

raoul

Hi JamesWjRose,

The number of lanes can be defined per road type, they will be equally divided over the width, the exact position can be customized afterwards. I will include a quick video.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Mark_01 and JamesWjRose like this.
  29. raoul

raoul

Hi pandakeeper,

I received your email, thank you! You mentioned roundabouts. Indeed this was actually a problem with roundabouts in general in previous versions, the warning message appears when the prefab is selected in the hierarchy. It seems this was not updated for the scripting API which is not a problem at runtime, but it is in the Unity Editor. Thank you for reporting this!

Raoul

[Edit] This should be fixed in the next update

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  30. Hen7

Hen7

Hello

I have a road with very wide sidewalks, that I plan on putting slightly underground in order to have the terrain around blend into the sidewalk, creating hills on each side. However I can't get the indents any closer to the road where I want them to be (green X in screenshot), they are limited to start at the edge of the sidewalks (red X), any way to solve this?

I managed to use sidewalks as side objects which worked great, however they're causing issues when trying to create crossroads.

Attached Files:

• ezr.jpg
      ezr.jpg
      File size:
      171.6 KB
      Views:
  31. raoul

raoul

Hi Hen7,

With regard to terrain deformation and roads, there must be enough terrain points available to flatten the terrain according the road shape. That is what the Min Indent value does. The same applies to sidewalks, generally you don't want to have the sidewalks float above the terrain or have the terrain break through the sidewalk. That is why the indent value starts at the edge of sidewalks when sidewalks are active.

There is a way to override this and I can send details if you want, but it is not recommended hence why it is not an option in the settings.

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. Hen7

Hen7

Hey
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Is there any other creative way to have a road that is lower than the ground?
    like what's going on in the pic attached (this was done using models, not a terrain.

Attached Files:

• ez2.JPG
      ez2.JPG
      File size:
      140.9 KB
      Views:
  33. raoul

raoul

Do you mean, level sidewalks with the terrain height and have the road below the terrain? That requires custom terrain shaders / masks. The scene in the free demo package includes a prefab (the crossing in the residential "Under Construction" area) doing something similar to hide the terrain for the sewer manholes.

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Sounds great, l look forward to getting it.

Have a great weekend

raoul likes this.
  35. Hen7

Hen7

Slightly too much for me, I'll just create some terrain like models around the road that are higher, maybe using the side object system.
    I've encountered another issue though, I'm using the sidewalks that comes with the dynamic connection system, its good, but I can't find a way to "end them" at a certain marker, the best I got was using a I connector but the sidewalks end there with a missing face (yes they have an outer curb).
    PS - I know they can end at the next dynamic connection, but I don't want one, I want the sidewalks to end mid road.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• ez3.JPG
      ez3.JPG
      File size:
      50.2 KB
      Views:
  36. raoul

raoul

Ending the sidewalk at a marker like on crossings is not yet possible. The sidewalk system will get an upgrade in v3.2, this will be part of it.

What is possible is insert an I Connector at the position where the sidewalk should stop. This will create two road sections. There will be an open gap like in your image, for now this can be leveled with the ground. This works by setting the y value of the sidewalk shape nodes to 0. The demo scene in the free additional package includes examples of this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. fmarianacci

fmarianacci

Hello raoul,

There is anyway to use easyroad on multiple scene ? On my project I split the world in many scene to improve editor performance, then I'm looking to have multiroad network at the same time (one for each small scene). It seems it is not handle by EasyRoad, did I miss something ?

38. Noa3

Noa3

the easy road data itshelf getig stored in the scene, there it was created.
    if you create a raod, create a mesh from it, you can cut it in parts, and put the parts in multiple scenes if you want.

i hope i could help you a bit.

raoul and fmarianacci like this.
  39. fmarianacci

fmarianacci

Yes, my problem is more on merging multiple RoadNetwork than spliting them :)

I found a way to merge the RoadNetwork of 2 scenes by moving the gameObject of the Roads & Connections of the fist RoadNetwork into the second RoadNetwork at runtime. But if I want a connection between 2 road network, it began to be harder...

40. raoul

raoul

Hi fmarianacci,

Additional to Noa3's reply, it is possible to store the mesh assets in the project folder, "Store Mesh Assets in Project Folder" in the Build settings.

Regarding building the road network when the world is already split in multiple scenes, have you tried storing the road network in for example Scene A and open both this scene and the scene you are working on?

Your new post just came in. You could also create road networks per scene and at the end when you want to create a build, merge them all together by moving the road and connection prefab objects to a single road network similar to what you described. That way you can connect roads across scenes. Usually I Connectors are used on terrain edges to connect roads that cross multiple scenes. For your final builds you can then extract those objects needed per scene based on the terrain bounds of that scene. This sort of optimizations/options will probably be added as part of the tool at some point.

Thanks,
    Raoul

fmarianacci likes this.
  41. Ecocide

Ecocide

Hi Raoul,

can you already tell when the new update that properly works with 2018.3 will be available? Or is it save to upgrade already?

42. raoul

raoul

Hi Ecocide,

The only known issue is that saving edited source connection prefabs fails. A first update with improvements is scheduled for this week, including the first v3.2 beta. Editing source prefabs is already partially functional in the upcoming update. Another update will follow soon afterwards with a full fix for this.

If you do not need the prefab editing options you may already want to upgrade. Please backup your project first, just in case.

Thanks.
    Raoul

43. Noa3

Noa3

i work with it in Unity 2018.3, for now i got no problems.
    only Bolt(Needed to be deleted and reimported) and CTS(after a editor restart all working fine) on the first try maked me trouble.

raoul likes this.
  44. Freznosis

Freznosis

I apologize if this has been asked before, but do you know why in a Windows 64bit build the road textures look very stretched? The textures are repeatable and look fine in the Editor, but in any build on all platforms it looks like this.

Attached Files:

45. raoul

raoul

Hello CloudWeight,

Does that happen on longer roads and does it start further away from the start? In that case it is probably related to UV floating point inaccuracies. It can be resolved by inserting I Connectors which can also be useful regarding LOD Groups. Crossings also break roads in shorter sections

Or you can switch of compression for UV0 in Player Settings > Vertex Compression.

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

upload_2018-12-17_20-13-0.png
    Hi,Thank You for the update!In the future,can you please make it so the marker gets bigger as we zoom out. Having to zoom in just to select a marker is slowing down my workflow.I am working on a very big map.

47. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Not the asset developer, however I have found a setting that affects how far away the point can be seen. I am away from my desktop/dev machine so I can't say exact, but it's there. (happy hunting)

48. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

upload_2018-12-17_22-49-51.png
    upload_2018-12-17_22-50-27.png
    I have been getting a lot of these errors with the new update

49. raoul

raoul

Hello TonismoGames ,

The option James mentioned are in General Settings > Scene Settings

Marker handle Size
    Marker Display Distance

I am not sure about the error. There are no known v3.1.2 specific issues. When exactly are these thrown?

Thanks,
    Raoul

50. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

These are are thrown when I tried to move the marker,after I aligned the
    I got the error when trying to move the marker after using aligning. I ended up delete the easyroad folder and reimporting it.