Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

Do you mean the returned points are off? I belief these are the same points also used for aligning side objects to the left or right side of the road. That is another way to test.

I will look at this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

When you look at the picture, you can see spheres at each of the right side spline points (this is all good) What I need to be able to do is calculate a distance "back" from the side of the road. My code places some cubes in what I hoped would be "back" 5 from the side of the road, but that doesn't work because of the curvature of the road.

3. raoul

raoul

What exactly do you mean with "I wish to push back the anchor points?

I can't see how Vector3.back can be used here? Depending to what exactly you want to do, shouldn't this be a vector relative to the spline shape?

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. Noa3

Noa3

maybe something like this Method will help you?

Code (CSharp):
    2. public Vector3[] CalculateLaneOffset(ERRoad road, float offset = 0)
    3.     {
    4.         Vector3[] centerPoints = road.GetSplinePointsCenter();
    5.         Vector3[] OffsetLane = centerPoints;
    7.         Vector3[] rightPoints = road.GetSplinePointsRightSide();
    9.         for (int i = 0; i < centerPoints.Length; i++)
    10.         {
    11.             OffsetLane[i] = centerPoints[i] + (centerPoints[i] - rightPoints[i]) * offset;
    12.         }
    14.         return OffsetLane;
    15.     }
    this will give you Vector3 Points back wich are folowing the line with a offset.

PS: i have written this out of my mind, idk if this will work. hope it helps you anyway

raoul and JamesWjRose like this.
  5. jamqdlaty

jamqdlaty

Hi. How do I remove road types from project? I was learning with trials and errors method so I had mady road types redone, currently using only few of them. I deleted all other road types in one scene, but when I'm creating another one it imports assets from the project including road types that I don't use anymore (which I can't find anywhere in the project). How do I remove them so they don't import every time I create new road network? "Delete Selected Road Type" works only for current road network.

6. raoul

raoul

Hi Noa3,

I wasn't sure what the idea of Vector3.back was. This code will move the position sideways relative to the road direction. In that case. should (centerPoints - rightPoints) on line 11 perhaps be (centerPoints - rightPoints) .normalized?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Noa3 likes this.
  7. raoul

raoul

Hi jamqdlaty,

New Road types added in a scene will indeed be added to the project log so they are also available in another scenes.

Road types can be removed from this file through General Settings > Road Types > Manage Project Road Types (button near the top)

Note that if this road type is still used in a scene, it will be added back to the project log file. That is why you are asked to import all available road types in a new scene. You can chose to skip this and add only a selection of road types through: General Settings > Road Types > Add Project Road Types. This will open a window where you can select those road types you want to use in that specific scene.

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Noa,

Thank you VERY much. This gets me close enough to get what I need. Have a great day.

raoul and Noa3 like this.
  9. Noa3

Noa3

i like the idea of Preserving the shape, in the new update!

10. raoul

raoul

Hi Noa3,

You mean customished shapes on specific markers being preserved after changing the global road width of a road? That was requested / discussed a while ago here on the forum.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Noa3 likes this.
  11. raoul

raoul

v3.1.2 is now available

This is a small update including recent requests and fixes for reported bugs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changed:

• Shift +S for selecting all markers has changed to Shift + Z

Improved:

• Scene View clicks are now only intercepted on objects part of the road network in order to keep it selected. Since clicking the terrain is part of the workflow to deselect markers, double click will actually select the terrain.

• Scene View position handle orientation road markers. Previously the position handle orientation was according the path forward. This can be set to horizontal now. Once the position handle is displayed, the W key will switch between path forward and horizontal orientation.

• Road shape in terrain splatmap baking, improved smoothness algorythm

• Customized road shapes for markers will be preserved when changing the main road width. You will be asked whether you want to ignore the road width change for these markers, reset the width to the new road width, or adapt the shape proportionally to the road width change.

• Road type selection for KML data import

Fixed:

• Side Object Start / End handles in Scene View initially being locked and unmovable for the default offset value 0

• The Road Network becoming unresponsive when Grid Control is active while no local grids have been created yet

• StackOverflowExceptions after "Create New connection Prefab" based on the selected road type in General Settings > Road Types
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, please backup your project before importing, just in case.

Next is v3.2 including, among others, the new Flex Connector which does a little bit more then the already mentioned flexible Y crossings that is being worked on.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful, Mark_01 and JamesWjRose like this.
  12. yrazin3

yrazin3

I just re-loaded a project that I have been working on for months - suddenly I am getting a lot of errors thrown by EasyRoad3dv3.

Errors look like:
    FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'EasyRoads3Dv3, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'OCCOCDCQCC' from assembly 'EasyRoads3Dv3Editor, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'OCCOCDCQCC' from assembly 'EasyRoads3Dv3Editor, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

How do I fix this?

13. raoul

raoul

Hello yrazin3,

What is the history of the project? What has changed since the last time you opened it?

Can you back up the project and try to reimport the package?

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Hello gang,

I am here to share a bit of code that will help if you are using CScape buildings with your ER3D roads. This is an Editor script that places the buildings along the sides of roads. All you have to do is tag the roads and buildings and press a button. Details and code here: https://github.com/Blissgig/Easy-Roads-3D-and-CScape-Building-Placement

Hope it helps.

sharkapps, Noa3, Mark_01 and 2 others like this.
  15. Noa3

Noa3

iam sry, i dont have in the moment CScape, can you show some screenshots? thx!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  16. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

CScapes is simply an asset that makes buildings, my code just places these buildings along the sides of the roads. But yea, I'll post a couple screen shots soon

Noa3 and Mark_01 like this.
  17. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Noa,

What specifically do you want/need to see? Since the result is rather simple to say, I am unsure of what to show you that will help. So if you let me know what you want to see.

18. Noa3

Noa3

a street with some buildings is allready enough. but i can immagie a dircetion what it looks like.
    thanks for your time.

19. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Noa,

https://imgur.com/a/zSB7dI0

Here is a few screen shots to show you what it looks like (this time I remembered to include the link, oops) From the bottom to the top:
    • A few roads
    • Button pressed and the tagged buildings are placed next to the road
    • close up 1
    • close up 2
    As you can see from the close up images the back of the buildings on a curve collide. An upcoming addition to the code will allow for random spacing between buildings (with a min/max values)

raoul likes this.
  20. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Mark_01, hopeful and raoul like this.
  21. Noa3

Noa3

th

thanks this was all what i wanted :)
    looks Promissing, maybe i can use it later!

JamesWjRose likes this.
  22. keepout

keepout

Hi Raoul!
    I like your tool very much! I have a trouble with lods, maybe you can hepl me?

Every time when I try to build with "Build LOD Groups" enabled, progress window appears ("Updating Terrain & Building Final Road Network... Preparing mesh data..."), but errors occure and it does not go away and does not progress and lods are not being generated.
    I tried different settings for lods, but nothing helped and I dont know what else can I do;(

It gives me 20 identical errors:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SetLODs: Attempting to set LOD where the screen relative size is greater then or equal to a higher detail LOD level.
    2. UnityEngine.LODGroup:SetLODS(LOD[])
    3. EasyRoads3Dv3.OCQQDQQCQQ:ODDQDOODQD(ERModularBase, ERModularRoad)
    4. EasyRoads3Dv3.QDQDOOQQOOQDD:OQCOCOCOQO(ERModularBase, Single&, Single&, Single&, Single&, Single)
    5. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODOODQQCDO:OCOQOQQDCQ(ERModularBase, OCCODCQDCC)
    6. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCODCQDCC:OnInspectorGUI()
    7. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    And the one different error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2. EasyRoads3Dv3.ODQCQOODDO.OCCCOQOCDO (UnityEngine.GameObject road, UnityEngine.Mesh sourceMesh, System.Int32 LODCount, System.Int32 LODLevel, System.Int32 colCount, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] hardEdge, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] roadShapeMaterialIntCounts) (at <1d4dc154a4a84f6993ba4e8e4fc7fef5>:0)
    3. EasyRoads3Dv3.QDQDOOQQOOQDD.OQCOCOCOQO (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, System.Single& minx, System.Single& minz, System.Single& maxx, System.Single& maxz, System.Single splatmapScale) (at <1d4dc154a4a84f6993ba4e8e4fc7fef5>:0)
    4. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODOODQQCDO.OCOQOQQDCQ (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCODCQDCC eScr) (at <163c9154f52f4dd2b33d2a04f082aa04>:0)
    5. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCODCQDCC.OnInspectorGUI () (at <163c9154f52f4dd2b33d2a04f082aa04>:0)
    6. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, System.Int32 editorIndex, System.Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1367)
    7. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    PS: I noticed that it generated lods for several random roads and added Lod Group component to them, but still not populated lods with generated meshes.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  23. raoul

raoul

Hi keepout,

Glad to hear you like the tool!

I just did a quick test in the demo scene of the pro package. There are no errors.

What are the LOD settings in General Settings > LOD groups? Or are you using the default settings?

What do the roads look like in your scene? What sort of road types?

Does this happen for all roads? Or can you narrow down the error to a specific road / road type? You can for example choose to build "Selected Roads Only".

If you want you can send us an email with a download link to the scene, so we can have a look at it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Happy to help. Both of these assets are great and the authors of them should be very proud of their work.

raoul likes this.
  25. raoul

raoul

26. jamqdlaty

jamqdlaty

Hi. I can't find it - Is there a possibility to make a road prefab? I can only find crossings, connections and start/end decals. I don't want a road to be just simple extrude, but have some elements between lanes that repeat.

27. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Please be sure to update EasyRoads to also accept the "VEGETATION_STUDIO_PRO" define symbol. I recently upgraded to the Pro version and removed the old define symbol (to lock out related custom code). But this subsequently disables the road vegetation mask creation as well. :)

28. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Congrats on your inclusion on this. This should help drive customers to you.

IsDon and raoul like this.
  29. Noa3

Noa3

ty for this cool asset!

i didnt found something about commercial use, is it allowed to use it in a commercial ?

30. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Mark_01 and raoul like this.
  31. raoul

raoul

Hi jamqdlaty,

What exactly do you have in mind?

It appears you need something like what can be done with the Procedural side object type. Simply create a new side object, select the Procedural side object type and drop your road prefab in the source Source Object slot.

The difficulty using this directly on roads is the snapping system to crossings. It is on the list to implement. For now you could try the above workflow. It should snap fairly accurate to crossings. This can be furthe rimproved by using the start end decal system.

But I don't know what sort of road shape you want so perhaps the above may not work in your case.

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. raoul

raoul

Hi StaggartCreations,

The v3.1.2 update includes this new VS compiler define. I am not entirely sure if the old one, VEGETATION_STUDIO, is still relevant but for now it is still there also for those who have not upgraded VS.

You can also add it yourself if you want to continue using an older version of ER. In /EasyRoads3D/scripts/ERVegetationStudio add " || VEGETATION_STUDIO_PRO" on each line that says #if VEGETATION_STUDIO

Just in case, there was a small typo in the first VS Pro release related to RefreshTerrainHeightMap() specifically the M in HeightMap. Lennart wrote that this will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Mark_01 and StaggartCreations like this.
  33. raoul

raoul

Hi Noa3,

I don't think there are limitations, but please check the various readme's. Most materials / textures are compressed, lower resolutions. All used assets are mentioned and the readme says it is highly advised to use the full versions if you want to use the assets in your project :).

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. raoul

raoul

Some additional notes:

The scene is optimized for Linear Color Space rendering in the player settings. When using Gamma, especially road materials will not look right unless the materials "Main Road Detail Albedo Power" value is reduced. This is mentioned in the readme in the scene folder, but I thought I mention it here as well.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Noa3 and Mark_01 like this.
  35. raoul

raoul

I wonder if CScape has something like an API?

After v3.2 is out, the next step is expanding city building capabilities one way or another.

Or if you think there is anything that could improve what you are doing, let me know :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful and JamesWjRose like this.
  36. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

My understanding of CScape is that it is done in shaders, and affecting those shaders at run-time will adversely affect performance. The developer of that asset is a single person, so it's taking them a bit long to get to a release version (hopefully VERY soon)

The only thing that you can do to help is to take a peek at the new option in my code that moves the building back from the street. There is an odd situation and I am using the width of your road in the calculation because when the min/max building-back values are low the buildings can end up over the road.

37. Crossway

Crossway

How to give a road priority to effects another road (For terrain deformation).

38. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

I meant that more from an EasyRoads3D point of view ;)

There is too much going on by only looking at the code. We don't have CScape, so not so easy to quickly test. I guess it is related to the code after

//Optional: Push the building back farther from the road

Does this happen on curved roads towards the building or also on straight sections or when the road curves to the opposite side?

If this is related to roads curved towards the building? In that case, I would think the building is aligned with the road direction at that point? From there I would move forwards and backwards through the spline points up to a distance within the left / right bounds of the building. For each spline point you can then check if is on the correct side of the bounds facing the road, if it is "inside" the building calculate the distance to the bounds. Update this distance if another spline point is further inside the bounds. That is the minimum required "move back" distance. Or store the spline points with the largest values both forward and backwards and align the building according these two points. If that helps...???

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  39. raoul

raoul

Hi Crossway,

Is this related to roads close to each other with overlapping indent areas? In that case giving a road priority will not solve the problem. When the indent areas of roads overlap the terrain will break through one of the roads unless they are aligned exactly the same.

The easiest way to deal with that is to move the roads further away from each other or increase the terrains heightmap resolution.

Another option is to change the Indent Alignment of the marker on the road that is higher and use something like a side object wall on that side of the road. Examples of this is on the to do list, but it works similar as the retaining wall example on the mountain road in the demo scene.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Mark_01 and Crossway like this.
  40. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Nah, all good. The side and center markers are all I need from you guys.

41. CrIxX91

CrIxX91

hi, someone who can help me to fix this from the downtown line on the roads?

Unity_2018-11-15_19-03-37.jpg

42. raoul

raoul

Hi CrIxX91,

What exactly needs a fix? Do you mean the line getting blurry further away? That can be controlled with the aniso level in the texture import settings.

Thanks,
    Raoul

43. jamqdlaty

jamqdlaty

I checked youtube, but the only tutorial I found was 7 years old. I checked manual for this, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'm getting an error and a warning when I'm trying to add side object to road. It's procedural using obj. file as source.

44. raoul

raoul

Hi jamqdlaty,

The v3 videos are a little bit older, when v3.2 is out videos will be updated according new Inspector layouts and options. But 7 years old sounds like v2 videos?

When exactly do you get this error? The screenshot shows the editor window where start / end offsets can be defined. This is optional and depends on the setup of the source object. I would think the error was already raised before opening this window after dropping your prefab in the Source Object slot, or not?

Would it be possible to have a look at this prefab?

The process is shown starting at 2.15 in the below video

Thanks,
    Raoul

45. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

NOT a rush, but I am having an odd situation and I don't know why.
    * Upgraded to a Gaia terrain
    * Upgraded to from Unity 2017 to 2018

When I press the "Build Terrain(s)" button I get the following error: "EasyRoads3Dv3 Warning: incomplete spline data, generating HBC Streetlight Right aborted. Please try to refresh the road network (General Settings > Scene Settings)"

There are multiple items reported to have this issue (not just my "HBC Streetlight Right")

When I do as requested to refresh the road I get this error: "The geometry structure of the connection at the start does not match the geometry at the end, road update aborted" referencing nearly 80 roads.

I have also changed the Gaia terrain to a standard Unity terrain, just in case, but that too is having the issue.

I found that I had posted this sort of issue in August, and it seems like the issue then was because of sidewalk presets were mismatched. I attempted to go through each crossing item and change the preset. However when I do that I get this error: "The geometry structure of the connection at the start does not match the geometry at the end, road update aborted"

So, what dumbass thing am I doing wrong now?

Thanks,
    James

46. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

The first error is thrown when generating procedural side objects, the second error when updating a road and when the shape of the connection at the start does not match the shape of the connection at the end of the road.

The first error is probably a result of the second error, the road update is aborted.

Since I assume nothing has changed to the road network after the Unity upgrade I am not sure what this could be related to.

Did you try reloading the scene / project as a first test (without first saving it!)? If that doesn't solve the problem, then please check the specific connections, sidewalks as you wrote. Did these settings some how change during the Unity upgrade?

I don't think the terrain is causing an issue here.

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I did indeed change the road, because of the new Gaia terrain.

I also had restarted Unity and my computer multiple times in the last couple of days to see if a clear cache/memory would help the issue.

The side objects I have are just standard prefabs, the streetlights do have a script that is used for collision.

I just started going through all of the Connection Objects to reset the Sidewalk Preset, on some this causes no issues, on others I get this error when I select the Connection: "EasyRoads3Dv3 Warning: The geometry structure of the connection at the start does not match the geometry at the end, road update aborted:" I also get three more warnings for the Right, Left streetlights and center marker.

When I select the Sidewalk Prefab I get those same messages. If I move off that Connection Object and then back the same errors occur, so the issue isn't resolved when I set the Sidewalk Prefab.

Is there a way to set all Connection Objects to a specific prefab? I just looked at the api but didn't see anything there. I also noticed I cannot multi-select the Connections.

48. raoul

raoul

Those prefabs where you get this error are the prefabs that are causing the problem or are involved in causing the problem, when the prefab on the other end of a road connected to the selected prefab has changed / different sidewalk settings. The sidewalk handles (green / white) on the connection at both sides of the road must match.

Didn't I send a script that will automatically reset all sidewalk settings, the previous time? Or can you email a download link so I can look at it?

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I just went looking through my emails and private responses here and did not find a ref to such a script. However, hold off as I will attempt to remove these objects and see how that works out. I will get back to you tomorrow. Again, not a rush. If I don't hear from you, have a great weekend

EDIT: If you can point me to where the Sidewalk Prefab would be in the API, I'd be happy to handle the code

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  50. raoul

raoul

That script is not using the scripting API or any prefab. It will simply reset sidewalk settings and activate all sidewalks.

I would think you are using custom sidewalk settings, active on one side of the road, inactive on the other side. And that somehow is not longer in sync between some prefabs connected by the same road. That is why I mentioned checking the sidewalk corner handles of these connections and make sure they are either both white (inactive) or green (active).

That is what I would check first on a crossing prefab that raises that specific warning message.

Thanks,
    Raoul

JamesWjRose likes this.