Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

The most right tab in the toolbar in the Inspector displays the imported version.

26/01/2018 is probably v3.01. The current version is v3.1.1

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. trianglestudiosnl

trianglestudiosnl

We are indeed on 3.0.1. Do you know if this is a known issue that could have been fixed with an update?

3. raoul

raoul

Small gaps visible in the screenshot is unknown. I mainly asked for the version for testing when there is more info.

Have you tried what I suggested?

Do you have a backup project of the older road network without the gaps? Is there a way to trigger this situation and provide more info? Was the custom prefab mesh changed at any point?

Thanks,
    Raoul

GOLDY00 likes this.
  4. Rewaken

Rewaken

Hey is it possible to export road mesh geometry to blender ?

5. raoul

raoul

Hi Rewaken,

A full road network option to .obj is available in the Inspector in Build Mode.

Options to export the selected road only is available in the Inspector of the selected road near the bottom in the main Road Settings "Export Object".

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. JonDadley

JonDadley

Hey Raoul,

Do you know when 3.2 is likely to be released? There are a few features in it I'd love to use on a project I'm working on at the moment. Thanks.

7. raoul

raoul

Hi JonDadley,

3.2 will be a big update, the final release will not be any time soon. It will be released in betas though. Which new features are you looking for most?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Noa3 likes this.
  8. JonDadley

JonDadley

The dynamic motorway on / off ramps. Also I believe crossings will have splines in 3.2?

I have another question: is there a way to disable or reassign the shift + s shortcut? I am working on a large road network and holding shift in the editor allows the scene view camera to move faster so I can see different parts of a selected road. However, it also triggers the shift + s 'select all markers' shortcut in easyroads. It's be very helpful to change this shortcut!

9. raoul

raoul

Flexible / spline crossings is being worked on at the moment. It is about 95% functional and integrated in the system. At the moment the triangulation looks similar as for X and T crossings. More options will be added to improve support for different road types on a single crossing. Part of this also involves sidewalks. Currently sidewalks always connect to the edges, this needs to be customizable per road type. Sidewalks will get an upgrade anyway. There for, sidewalks as they are supported now, are not integrated in flexible crossings yet.

Dynamic motorway on / off ramps will indeed also be introduced in 3.2. Prototypes to dynamically build these ramps are ready but the focus at the moment is on crossings. I will have to look into the status of this. It is probably fairly easy to complete this by itself and add the connections to attach other road sections. It gets a little bit more complex when side objects like guard rails etc. are involved.

So for both flexible crossings and motorway on/off ramps, it depends on what you need. The full 3.2 supporting all the above will not be available anytime soon.

If you do not mind alpha versions and do not need all features you can send your email. Beta versions will be available on the asset store.

Yes, Shift + S is not ideal for Scene View Navigation and moving the cam faster. This has to change.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Noa3, hopeful and JonDadley like this.
  10. Ecocide

Ecocide

Hi Raoul,

I would also be very interested in the motorway ramps. Any chance to try this in a future beta? It's not that important if side objects work for that, I think they can be easily placed manually for these parts.

11. raoul

raoul

Hi Ecocide,

If you do not mind early unstable versions, please email us for alpha access. I will have a look at this this week, what the exact status of highway ramps is. Initially the idea was to have this as part of the road object itself so side objects will still be supported. That is for sure how it is implemented at the moment. But connections being part of road objects might be confusing as these are generally separate objects. This may need to be thought out further. Otherwise side objects like guard rails can indeed can be placed separately temporarily.

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. trianglestudiosnl

trianglestudiosnl

Hi Raoul - Sorry for the radio silence, but I wanted to let you know that we've resolved the issue. Ultimately it was entirely our own fault. During the build process, there were some steps that influence the roads which weren't being taken into account for all road sections, hence the gaps between the junctions and the regular pieces.

13. raoul

raoul

Hi Remco,

Thank you, glad to hear you got this sorted out!

Raoul

14. jackmbox

jackmbox

I bought this asset. How do I create 4-lane single direction road and 4 lane crossing?

15. raoul

raoul

Hello jackmbox,

It is recommended to create a new 4-lane road type in General Settings > Road Types.

The roads are ordinary unity game objects with a mesh renderer and material attached. You can use any (4-lane) texture you want. Alternatively lanes can be added seperately as side objects. Examples of this are in the demo package and in the HD Roads package.

The same for crossings, they can have any material you want. You can create new dynamic crossings for the 4-lane road types so they can be reused. These crossing prefabs in the project folder can be customized by adding stop markings etc. http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/prefab_props.php

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. JonDadley

JonDadley

Hey Raoul,

Sorry to bother you again! New question: is there a way to make the size of marker handles scale based on the scene cameras distance from them? When I'm far away and try to select a marker on a large road, I need to the markers to be large (so that I can see and select them easily). However, if I increase their size in the scene properties section, they are then too large if I zoom in close to the road (for instance to hook up an IConnector) as they obscure the selection gizmo making it hard to manipulate the marker at this close distance.

If they dynamically increased and decreased in size relative to the distance of the camera, that would be perfect but I cannot find an option for it :)

17. twobob

twobob

I'm using this with 5.6
    Will the HD pack be of any use to me?

18. raoul

raoul

Hi JonDadley,

The handles do dynamically size depending to the distance of the camera. But perhaps this sizing is done against the base handle size resulting in the handles also being larger when zoomed in. I will look at this and see if this can be improved.

Thanks,
    Raoul

IsDon likes this.
  19. raoul

raoul

The HD package is made by the NatureManufacture Team. We have tested it in 5.6. Materials on one road type and crossing do not work well. I am not sure if this is shader related or material setup related.

Do you have Unity 2017 installed as well? In that case you can import it in Unity 2017 and afterwards in Unity 5.6. Let me know if it doesn't work for you, we will sort that out.

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. DevilCult

DevilCult

Is there a way to add texture on side of the roads? I wanna add gravel or some rocky texture

21. raoul

raoul

Hello DevilCult,

This depends on the exact look you are after.

Usually you want to do this using the option that bakes the road shape in the terrain splatmap. This is available near the bottom of the road settings in the Inspector "Add Shape to Terrain Splatmap". You can set which terrain splat texture to use, the distance and the blend level. In Build mode the road shape will be baked in the terrain. Make sure to toggle on "Update Terrain Splatmaps".

Alternatively this could be part of the road texture if this should only be added just on the sides of the road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

twobob likes this.
  22. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

I have a few instances where Easy Roads goes over a river. Thing is, I don't want terrain to be built in this area. I'd like to use 3rd Party bridges and I cannot find a way to have the road cross the bridge without terrain being added below.

Is this possible?

23. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

Each marker has an option "No Terrain Deformation" in the Inspector in the Marker section. That is what will be toggled on automatically when using bridges as side objects.

Thanks,
    Raoul

JamesWjRose likes this.
  24. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Thank you very much.

Minor UI point: The road section has a checkbox for "Terrain Deformation" and the Marker is "No Terrain Deformation" Not a good idea to have it both ways, can be confusing. But again, THANK YOU!

raoul likes this.
  25. twobob

twobob

So. How DOES one auto-elide the vegetation in Vegetation Studio please?

26. twobob

twobob

In my experience this can happen after an upgrade with older stored configuration data in a variety of packages and games. Could be a nothing error.

27. raoul

raoul

Hi twobob,

Vegetation Studio can be activated in General Settings > Terrain Management

Here you can also set perimeter values for grass, trees etc. These values can be customized further per individual road type in General Settings > Road Types.

The above will work for new scenes / new road objects. If you already had road objects in the scene before importing / activating Vegetation Studio, the "Update Scene Instances" button near the bottom in the same General Settings > Road Types can be used. This will automatically happen in the next update.

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. twobob

twobob

upload_2018-8-19_20-42-20.png

Hmm.. I dont see any settings.

So I go to Roads and update my Road network

I get

upload_2018-8-19_20-46-14.png
    Where the road is on the right and the space is off by an amount...

Hmm.. Confused. Do I need an update or something? I thought 3.1.1? was the latest. Perhaps I should try a completely new project.

29. twobob

twobob

I should probably add that I have no idea what I am doing. it that is not completely obvious, and this is the first time I have tried to use Roads3D in anger : )

30. raoul

raoul

So Vegetation Studio grass is actually removed near the road, or not?

Regarding the controls, V3.1 includes a new script ERVegetationStudio.cs in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Scripts/

This script checks if the VEGETATION_STUDIO compiler define exists in the project. This compiler define is added by vegetation studio after importing the package and can be checked in Edit > Player Settings > Other Settings >Scripting Define Symbols. VEGETATION_STUDIO should be visible here.

When this VEGETATION_STUDIO compiler define exists the Vegetation Studio options will be displayed in EasyRoads3D.

Does this not work on your end?

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. Suavomirro

Suavomirro

Hi Raoul,
    maybe I just get a bit rusty with Easy Roads and missing something but when I get back to it in my new job terrain deformation isnt working. Here what I do:
    Adding road network to the scene > creating simple road > build terrains
    So nothing really complicated here. Am I missing something? I will send you screens with every window so you can look at settings. I can post only 5 screens at a time. Addon worked well when I did roads few months ago but I thing it might be one thing that I did wrong, not easy roads failure.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      40.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      46 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      33.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      23.6 KB
      Views:
  32. raoul

raoul

Hi Suavomirro,

The screenshots are all related to the road / crossing settings in Edit Mode. The terrain(s) are adjusted in Build Mode. Middle mountain tab > Build Terrain(s).

What are these settings? I assume "Update Heightmap" is toggled on?

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. Suavomirro

Suavomirro

I've sent you a PM with more screens.

34. Nihilus0

Nihilus0

Hi @raoul,

I am interested in your asset, but I have some things I want to know. I hope you will help me.

I'm trying to create or expand a road at runtime after the release of a game, not through Unity's editor.
    To be exact, roads should be randomly located on an procedural infinite Terrain generators.
    By the way, can asset make roads at run-time?
    I would also like to know the expected overheads. For example, when i create a mesh i get a lag, etc.

P.S. I am not an English speaker. I used a translator. I am sorry my poor English.

35. raoul

raoul

Hi Cosmoraph,

Roads can be created at runtime through the scripting API. But this is currently not done automatically / randomly, you will have to provide the control points for the road.

The generated roads are ordinary Unity game objects and act the same as if they were imported as a model. You can set the resolution, roads can be cut in pieces for occlusion culling and Unity LOD Groups.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. anonim2299

anonim2299

Hi. I generate the road in runtime with my script. And every time if I call
    Code (CSharp):
    1. _roadNetwork.CreateRoad ("Road_" + t.name, roadMarkers);
    2. _roadNetwork.BuildRoadNetwork (true, true, true);
    my game freezes for 10 seconds for road 1km. How can this problem be solved?

37. raoul

raoul

Hi anonim2299,

Does this take so long right from the start or at some point after having created several roads?

Becase the code you posted will always build (adjust the terrain) for the full road network not only the newly created road.

BuildRoadNetwork(bool splatmaps, bool trees, bool detail, ERRoad[] roads)

Can be used to adjust the terrain for a selection of roads.

Apart from that what are your terrain specs, heightmap resolution, size, vegetation density, etc.?

All this will have an effect to the processing time. We are looking into ways to optimize further.

Thanks,
    Raoul

38. twobob

twobob

So based on this. that answer was no.
    However, utterly deleting the road network and re-importing 3.1 latest from the asset store now works as expected

upload_2018-8-21_0-48-20.png

So file it under Unity3D "Reasons" and forget it.
    thanks

39. raoul

raoul

Strange, that particular script, ERVegetationStudio.cs, was present in the previous import?

Anyway, glad to hear this is working now.

Thanks,
    Raoul

twobob likes this.
  40. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Hello

I try atm to create a world / terrain with roads etc in Unity with the Assets Real World Terrain.
    This:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/real-world-terrain-8752

I use the newest form Assets Store Downloadeable EasyRoads3D Pro and the newest from Dev Real World Terrain Update :)

All working great only the Roads not with Roadarchitect or Easyroad3d free not worked then bought EasyRoads3D Pro and HD assets.

Roads gets generated but not coinnected and they are not connectable .

All roads are in Road Ojects

I also tryed generate / import direct at EasyRoads3D Pro , i set the Latitude Langitude Top Bottom Left Righ and set road type. then imported the OSM file its said:

Extracting Object but after some secounds when finished nothing in Road Objects like at Real World Terrain tryed many times with OSM also at COnsole no Errors :(

What can be the problem at OSM Import and why at Real World Terrain not conenctable.

And also problems that roads not fit at terrein and not deform terrain like it should to to look more real and not angle like / at a mountain :(

See some screens:
    When Generated with Real World Terrain not Connectable

https://i.gyazo.com/95fc7b6a6d7f393dde452567e494878d.jpg

And with OSM not Roads Generated :(
    No screen because Road Objects empty and COnsole not Errors :(

https://i.gyazo.com/83d4f90f4a66555d02f1055e9181e81f.png

And at Mountains its not flat / at 0% angle / real its like (a / or \) 45% - 80 % angle they are as steep as the mountain thats not real, it and terrain deformation also not work :( :/:
    https://i.gyazo.com/a5411fe6db2abf1572ed12d444cc4441.jpg

https://i.gyazo.com/065df459f983d1bf6d9b4841c12ff041.jpg

after build terrain try also other settings only an example for show at screenshots:
    https://i.gyazo.com/134991e134511f77317939e80044caef.jpg

or like that also after build terrain in easyroads3d roads is not at terrain:
    https://i.gyazo.com/36df6c9e36ec8f4f881a399f34a2e9a2.jpg

what are the problems at easyroads3D at mountains ?

how can monuntain roads be fixed ant roads connectedt or / and why OSM Import not work ?

Also is the the River etc functions removed ???

Hope DEV or someone can help me !

Thank you

Regards

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  41. raoul

raoul

Hello GamePyro,

Real World Terrain does create roads through the EasyRoads3D scripting API, we do not have control over this implementation, whether crossings are supported or not.

In any case, supporting crossings in a realistic way is very tricky because real world situations can be very complex. We are also looking into this with regard to the OSM options. At this stage crossings are not added automatically. But we started on this and after v3.2 is released we will continue. V3.2 will have new crossing options which will help here. So crossings need to be added manually through the 3rd tab from the left and Shift + Click in the scene. Road markers can be connected to the crossings.

I can't really give feedback on the OSM issue without knowing the exact data you entered and seeing the actual OSM file. Issues with OSM have been posted before. After looking at the specific OSM files and further info, so far it always worked well.

What issues to you have with terrain deformation? Can you show screenshots? What is important here is that the Unity terrain object is gridbased and has a specific heightmapscale (terrain size vz heightmap resolution). These are the terrain points EasyRoads3D can manipulate. For example, things will not look good on a very small heightmap resolution and a detailed mountain road with sharp bends and height differences. There simply are not enough terrain points available to exactly match the terrain with the road shape. All this is covered on the Troubleshooting pages in the manual.

https://i.gyazo.com/a5411fe6db2abf1572ed12d444cc4441.jpg

Is this a road generated by Real World Terrain? The scripting API has an option to align the road with the terrain instead of the other way around. It seems this is being used here. Again, we have no control over this. Can you somehow control this in the Real World Terrain options?

Roads generated inside the Unity editor or through OSM import will not look like this. They will be flat with options to rotate them.

https://i.gyazo.com/065df459f983d1bf6d9b4841c12ff041.jpg

This screenshots shows the highlighted indent / surrounding surfaces. These represent how the terrain will be deformed. They stretch out quite far away from the road. This must mean the terrain has a high heightmapscale (mentioned above). This is not ideal for roads in a mountainous area. Can you lower the terrains heighmapscale (increase the heightmap resolution) in Real World Terrain? What is the current heightmap resolution and size of the terrain?

Rivers can be added through side objects in v3. The demo package includes an example at the back left in the scene.

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/rivers.php

A new "Road" type can be created with these side objects auto activated.

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. adrius531

adrius531

Hi,
    is there a way to split the way in two parts at a specific marker with the scripting API? I thought that if it is possible in the editor then it should be also with code, but I went through all the classes and could not find a method that might do that.

Best regards
    Adrian

43. raoul

raoul

Hi Adrian,

Indeed not every option in the editor is available through the scripting API yet.

In this case, inserting an I Connector will also split the road in two roads.

ERRoad InsertIConnector(int index, string connectionName, out ERConnection connection);

and destroy the I Connector afterwards:

ERConnection connection;
    ERRoad road2 = road1.InsertIConnector(markerIndex, "connection name", out connection);
    Destroy(connection.gameObject);

Thanks,
    Raoul

twobob likes this.
  44. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Hello

Ok thanks i sended you the OSM file at PM:

Also can you send some screenshots how the Roads at montains look like at you with OSM Generation ?

And you asked for Terrain deformation screenshots the also be abovve in my first question post.

At connections i not meant crossing etc im meant tto connect a streigh with treight and a side road to main road like for example in sim side crossing are prefabs to set seperate :(

What else you need ?

45. raoul

raoul

Hello GamePyro,

I can send a map and use a default terrain size 500x500 with heightmap resolution 513, and it will look good. What matters is what your settings are. I asked about the terrain size and heightmap resolution in my previous post. Can you give those values if you need a confirmation of why these Indent surfaces are so wide?

Which of the images shows the actual terrain deformation according the road shape? Is it this one?

https://i.gyazo.com/36df6c9e36ec8f4f881a399f34a2e9a2.jpg

The roads here look like those generated by Real World Terrain, snapping to the terrain on the outer edges. With this setup, terrain deformation will not have an affect.

I looked at the osm file, where did you download it from? Directly from openstreetmap, https://www.openstreetmap.org ?

The format is different, when downloading directly from the above link the generator in the osm file should say "CGImap ....", in your file it says "Overpass API " and some data like the bounds near the top is missing. I will make a note to look into this format but meanwhile can you please download from the above link or post the exact steps you made when you downloaded this particular file?

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. DevilCult

DevilCult

Im trying hard to understand how this work. I can make roads and all but at the end it all become 1 mesh. Im doing an open world map and this cannot be only 1 mesh. It need to be cut down into part to match terrain chunk (or approximatly).

So my question is how i can split the roads into smaller part to fit my terrain?

twobob likes this.
  47. twobob

twobob

Good question. World streamer support?

48. raoul

raoul

Hi DevilCult,

The road network does not become one mesh. Each road and each crossing is a separate object / mesh.

Longer roads can be split in separate road sections / objects by inserting an I Connector. This option is available further below in the marker section in the Inspector after selecting the marker where you want to split the road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful and DevilCult like this.
  49. raoul

raoul

Hi twobob,

The same I Connector mentioned on my last post on the previous page can be used here on roads that cross multiple tiles.

One important thing, World Streamer looks at the pivot position of game objects. The scripting API can help here, ERRoadNetwork.CenterPivotPoints(). This could be done just before building your scenes.

Thanks,
    Raoul

twobob and DevilCult like this.
  50. raoul

raoul

Hi DevilCult,

"Finalize" removes all script components from game objects. It does not create a single mesh out of the road network. Can you show screenshots of the hierarchy before and after pressing Finalize, showing all road objects under Road Network > Road Objects ?

Or, what do you mean with a single road and 10 road parts? Do you mean 10 markers? That would be a single road, one mesh.

Thanks,
    Raoul

DevilCult likes this.