Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Weendie-Games

Weendie-Games

Hi @raoul is possible to export all the road network 'top view' as texture?

Also, is possible to project a texture onto terrain to use as reference to create the road network?

2. raoul

raoul

Hi Weendie-Games,

Exporting the road network as a texture is not possible, it will be massive. Or do you need this in viewport size?

To show the map over the terrain , the map can be added as a texture prototype with the tile size matching the terrain size. But this will be problematic if you already have a splatmap. Perhaps there is another way? Or duplicate the terrain and use the map on the duplicated temporary terrain? With "Duplicate", I mean duplicate the terrain the project folder and add this terrain to the scene as well. Please do not duplicate the terrain in the hierarchy, the same terrain object will be edited!

We have this implemented in a way that the terrain splatmap and texture prototypes can be swapped.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Weendie-Games likes this.
  3. raoul

raoul

@Weendie-Games, just in case you already saw the reply, this is to make sure you get a notification... Please see my post above, I edited the part of the duplicated terrain.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Weendie-Games likes this.
  4. Weendie-Games

Weendie-Games

Thank you! For the projection part, i'll be using the global color map from the terrain shader (micro-splat), so i can use as a blue print of the city/road network, just wanted to know more how people are doing that.
    colormap+roads.jpg

I already made some streets in-game that is not in my "blue print" above that's why i asked about export the whole road network relative to the terrain size, so that way would be possible to merge with my blue print in Photoshop

Anyway i know that is not the focus of ER, thank you for replying :)

raoul likes this.
  5. iichiversii

iichiversii

Two questions-

1. where are the prefab roads or are we just stuck with 1 default road?
    Im aware its in the demo project level however its not available when i just want to use it on my own terrain

2. Any tutorials on how to import OSM data and use it?
    I managed to import osm data however i could not apply it to the terrain.

6. raoul

raoul

Hello iichiversii,

This is related to a similar question on the previous page. Below is a copy of my reply:

The demo package is primarily intended to get familiar with the tool which involves working with the road network in the demo scene. Did you do that? Because selecting / deselecting this road network will trigger updating the project file with available road types and side objects.

This data is not available in the package after the import because that will mean that importing an update at a later stage will possibly overwrite changed settings, newly added road types and / or side objects.

We get this question more often and will make some changes so these road types and side objects will be available in other scenes without first having to use the demo scene.

When importing OSM data, the extracted data will by default be parsed relative to the bounds of the terrain object in the scene. All that is needed in "General Settings > Import Road Data" is press "Open OSM File" and select your OSM data file. Optionally EasyRoads3D road types can be assigned to OSM road types and only specific OSM road types can be parsed.

If the terrain lat/lon bounds do not match the OSM lat/lon bounds you can enter the terrain lat/lon bounds in the Global Terrain Coordinate fields. The OSM data will be parsed relative to these bounds.

In what way did you manage to import OSM data and were not able to apply it to the terrain? Does the above answer your question?

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. iichiversii

iichiversii

Here in this image you can see all the roads imported with osm to easyroads, i assigned the default road to all roads for testing and i set the terrain boundaries however i dont see any roads on the terrain, am i doing this wrong?

Attached Files:

8. raoul

raoul

Roads are being generated.

Can you show a screenshot of the Import settings? What data is entered for the terrain bounds and what are the OSM bounds? Are the roads visible when the terrain coordinates are kept empty?

Can you include the OSM file so we can test it?

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. iichiversii

iichiversii

Attached Files:

10. raoul

raoul

What about the other question, are the roads visible when keeping the terrain coordinates empty? Or could you include the OSM file? Or send it in a PM or by email?

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. FewGears

FewGears

12. raoul

raoul

Hi FewGears,

Which version are you using? Does this happen on a single terrain or multiple terrains?

By itself I cannot see how the length of the road can affect terrain deformation. But other factors might be involved here?

Also, 27km is rather long for a single road. V3 is more road network optimized. By adding crossings the road will be split in sections, separate game objects. For a single road this can be done by inserting I Connectors. This option is available in the Inspector near the bottom of the marker section.

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. iichiversii

iichiversii

No roads visible, i will forward the OSM file by email

14. FewGears

FewGears

This solution helped solve the problem. Thank you.

raoul likes this.
  15. Drivecity324

Drivecity324

Hello. I noticed when I create a 6 lane road then create a 2 lane road, one of the 6 lane road turns into the 2 lane road. After that I changed the 2 lane road back into the 6 lane road and the roads I want to be 2 lanes turned back into 6 lane roads. Am I doing something wrong?

16. raoul

raoul

Thank you, I will test it once received and report back.

Raoul

17. raoul

raoul

Hello Drivecity324,

How are these 2 lane and 6 lane roads created?

Are they separate road types set up in General Settings > Road Types?

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. Drivecity324

Drivecity324

I created the roads with Gameobject > Create other > Easyroads3D > New Easyroads3D object. I'm not sure why only that road changed.
    Picture 1.png Picture 2.png Picture 3.png

19. iichiversii

iichiversii

I cant attach file in PM, do you have an email i can attach file to?

20. raoul

raoul

How large is your file? You can attach a file in PM.

Thanks,
    Raoul

21. raoul

raoul

Hi Drivecity324,

Which version of Unity do you use?

Gameobject > Create other > Easyroads3D > New Easyroads3D object

This is how new roads are created in v2. In v2 each road object use the same material, but you can duplicate this material in the project folder, change the texture and assign the new material to the road.

As mentioned in my previous post, in v3 (this thread) you can create road types with road types specific materials.

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. Drivecity324

Drivecity324

I use Unity 5.1.4.

23. raoul

raoul

That is why v2 is imported. V3 works on Unity 5.3 and up

Please try what I suggested, all roads in v2 share the same material. To change this, select the material in the Inspector, it will point to the material in the project folder. Duplicate this material and assign it to the road. The road can now have a different texture.

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. Drivecity324

Drivecity324

Thanks, it worked!

raoul likes this.
  25. parzival123

parzival123

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  26. raoul

raoul

Hello parzival123,

That is a shader in the demo package. This demo package is primarily intended as a resource to get familiar with the tool. It includes various more complex assets.

That shader in the screenshot is a more complex terrain related shader. The current demo package includes a simplified version that can be used instead if you get this error message.

In any case, to fix this error for your build, please remove this shader from the project folder:

/Assets/EasyRoads3D/shaders/Misc/ER Terrain Mesh Tesselation

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. GOLDY00

GOLDY00

So wondering how long till is it 3.2 with the y intersections just wondering

28. StonedLover

StonedLover

Its appear after importing and trying to follow the Tutorial video I might try it with the new version from unity 2018.2.2f1 this week Will head back via website contact if it still appear :)

29. raoul

raoul

Hi StonedLover,

Perhaps the package didn't import well? In any case please provide full steps so we can test :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

30. raoul

raoul

Hi GOLDY00,

Flexible Y crossings similar to the current X T crossings are almost fully implemented. Sidewalks are not supported yet because that will get an upgrade too in 3.2. Just like 3.1, 3.2 will be released in betas. A first beta could be released once Y Crossings is fully functional. But in that case, this will be without support for sidewalks. And more options for Y crossings are planned but that can be added afterwards as well.

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. Noa3

Noa3

i whish me a native support for World Streamer

32. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

I am having an odd issue, and I could use some help.

The following problem occurs when I make a change to the existing road design. Imagine a T intersection that I want to remove and just have an L shaped corner. So I delete the intersection, then delete the excess roads. Then take the remaining road and connect it to the next available intersection. I have to disable the sidewalks for the intersections the remaining road is on before I can connect it to the intersection (sure, fine, that's ok) I then connect it and attempt to reactivate the sidewalks. However i get several issue when I attempt to do this;
    1) The sidewalks don't appear at all.
    2) The sidewalks render on the road surface
    3) The road LOOKS disconnected from the intersection.

Here is a 1 minute video (77mb) that shows you the issues. (I didn't feel right uploading this to YouTube, but if you prefer I will) http://blissgig.com/downloads/EasyRoadsIssue.mp4

I am using version 3.1 and this is reproducible.

EDIT: I just noticed that the moment I press the green sidewalk sphere I get a number of Warnings:
    EasyRoads3Dv3 Warning: The geometry structure of the connection at the start does not match the geometry at the end, road update aborted: HBC 10 00174

I get 8 warning, each with a different Road Name.

So, happy Monday.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  33. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

raoul likes this.
  34. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

What I see in the video is a standard situation. When a road is connected to a crossing on both ends of the road and these crossings share the same road/sidewalk shape, toggling on / off sidewalks should auto update the sidewalk status on the other end of the road.

I just double checked this in the main demo scene by adding two crossings, an X and T crossing in the scene and connecting a road in between the two. The sidewalks do update.

Also because you mention there are errors, it seems more is involved here. How is this reproducible?

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. raoul

raoul

Hi Noa3,

Like James mentioned the pivot points of the road objects are by default not what you want for World Streamer.

Additional to the github link James posted, the scripting API can be used here:

ERRoadNetwork.CenterPivotPoints()

This will work for the final road network build.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Noa3 likes this.
  36. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I covered what I am doing to cause the issue in my post, is there more detail you need? I'm happy to create a video if that helps. Basically each time I delete an intersection and attempt to connect the remaining road to another intersection this happens. But yea, just let me know what other details you need and I'll be happy to get them to you in whatever form you need.

37. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

This is what I did in the main demo scene of the EasyRoads3D Pro package:

1) add an X crossing and two T crossings to the scene
    2) pull out a road from the x crossing and add two markers (four in total like in your video)
    3) attach this road to the middle T crossing
    4) pull out a new road from an other connection of this T crossing and attach it to the other T crossing

All roads and crossings have sidewalks

5) removed the middle T crossing and the second road
    6) attached the 4th marker of the road that is still in the scene to the remaining T crossing

Toggling on /off sidewalks on both remaining crossings is fully responsive

How are these steps different from your steps? Or otherwise, can you try this in the main demo scene?

This is v3.1.1

Thanks,
    Raoul

38. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Noa,

Also, as for using ER3D within the Active Management code, here is what I did: Added to the START() function

ERRoadNetwork roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork();
    List<ERRoad> ERroads = roadNetwork.GetRoads().ToList();
    var roads = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("HBCRoad");
    foreach (var road in roads)
    {
    ERRoad erRoad = ERroads.Find(x => x.GetName() == road.name);
    var centerPoints = erRoad.GetSplinePointsCenter();
    var activeSetting = new ActiveSettings(road.transform, 750, centerPoints[(centerPoints.Length / 2)]);
    activeItems.Add(activeSetting);
    }

//NOTE: I had not known of the: ERRoadNetwork.CenterPivotPoints() so that might be a better way to go. As you can see on the "new ActiveSettings" line I am finding the center point based on the spline points for that road.

39. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Hello Raoul,

I'm writing to tell you I'm an idiot. Thing is, the reason why I could connect existing intersections and not a new one was.... that the sidewalk on the new intersection was not set as wide as the road and the existing intersections. <big sigh> I simply had to set the new intersection's sidewalk width and everything was fine. I am SO sorry for bothering you.

Hopefully my various scripts that support your asset are in some way helpful for the time I take up. If there is EVER, ANYTHING I can do for you, just ask.

hopeful likes this.
  40. raoul

raoul

I belief ERRoadNetwork.CenterPivotPoints() looks at the mesh bounds and center of the bounds and rebuilds the mesh accordingly. This could also be used to further optimize meshes for World Streamer, break meshes that cross different tiles apart.

Thanks,
    Raoul

41. raoul

raoul

So this is working now? In your scene the roads / crossings look similar but indeed what you describe and what is visible in the video is usually a result of a shape mismatch. That is why I wondered if more is involved here. Only different widths however should not really cause issues though apart from this not looking too good because of the sidewalk width transition on the road at the connection point.

Due to changes in v3.1 with more flexible crossing options and crossing connection options, the sidewalk system is currently a little bit in a transition state between 3.0 and 3.2. This will be better scalable in v3.2. Whenever you run in sidewalk issues in v3.1, the first thing to check is whether the road / sidewalk settings on the crossings at both sides of the road still match.

Please report whenever you run into issues. All this is fairly complex and can be used in different ways, bug reports are very welcome and appreciated. :) Your scripts are also very much appreciated. The AI project is working well now with your help!

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

So last night I showed my wife the issue, you know, to get a second set of eyes on the problem. It was then that I noticed that the NEW intersection's sidewalk size was not set as large as all the rest, so I set it and the road connected. YAY, I can go to sleep and clean it all up tomorrow.

Fast forward to this morning, and DRATS... not working. I made another video to show you. In it I create a new intersection, set it to the proper sidewalk preset and attempt to connect it... only to be met with the damn Red Dot. (arg!)

http://blissgig.com/downloads/EasyRoadsIssue.mp4

I don't even know what to do next, or what information I can give you. Sorry, I'm just tired and frustrated. But whatever I can do to help, just let me know. In the meantime I will keep trying and report back whatever I find

43. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

Red connection handles means that the shape of the selected road does not match the shape of that crossing connection.

All I can see in the video is that a sidewalk preset is selected, outer curb is toggled on.

I assume the selected roads use the same sidewalk preset with outer curb toggled on?

Another thing perhaps to double check is the status of the sidewalks. Initially they were turned off. After reselecting the road network, did you check all sidewalk corner handles of that crossing, are they all displayed in green / active or are they perhaps closed on the road side?

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Ok so maybe this is the answer. I have two sidewalk presets, both have the same settings (and I have no idea why I did this) But so far, if I go to each intersection and set it's sidewalk preset to #2 and then connect the road all seems okay. I am still making the updates, and it's taking some time (because of the time it takes to find and select the intersection in the Heirarchy. Correct me if I am wrong, I have to select the specific intersection, and not have the Road Network selected, in order to have access to Connection Settings, Sidewalk Settings, etc?

In an case, it seems to be working, and I'll post an edit to this when I am completed. I want to make sure these notes are here for the next person who has this issue

45. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

If the settings of the two sidewalk presets are indeed exactly the same it should be possible to connect roads to both crossings using the different presets.

With the road network selected you can "select" the crossing by pressing the center yellow handle. This will show a "Select Connection in Hierarchy" button in the Inspector.

For an easier workflow, new dynamic prefab with these sidewalk presets already selected can be created. They will appear in the crossing connections tab. This way they can be reused quickly in the scene. No need to always set the sidewalks for new scene instances.

In v3.2 this will be further optimized so sidewalk presets can be selected/changed without having to select the crossing in the hierarchy.

Thanks,
    Raoul

JamesWjRose likes this.
  46. BeautifulRiver

BeautifulRiver

How to find the orientation at any position on the road?

47. raoul

raoul

Hello BeautifulRiver,

The package includes a runtime scene example where are road is created at runtime and afterwards an object follows the road. The below is used for this:

ERRoad.GetPosition(float value, ref int currentElement)

currentElement refers to the previous splinePoint index, ERRoad.GetSplinePointsCenter(). This could be used to get the orientation of the road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. trianglestudiosnl

trianglestudiosnl

Hi Raoul - I've got a new question for you. Something that has recently popped-up for us again after not being an issue for weeks / months. We see very narrow seams between every junction and the connecting road. It's a minor gap, but very noticable when driving on the roads.

There appears to be a very minor height difference between the junction and the road, but this gap simply wasn't there before. Detaching and re-connecting the road usually fixes the issue, but since our world is getting quite big it will take us a lot of time to do this (and running the risk of causing the issue again because of not knowing what is actually causing this issue).

Do you have any idea what might cause this, and how we can prevent this issue going forward?

49. raoul

raoul

Hi Remco,

It looks like custom connection prefabs based on your own meshes are used here? Did anything change to this?

Instead of detaching / re-connecting, does moving a marker (forcing a road update) fixes this? In that case, did you try General Setttings > Scene Settings > Refresh Road Network?

Which version are you using?

Thanks,
    Raoul

50. trianglestudiosnl

trianglestudiosnl

We are using our own meshes, but we haven't seen the issue for quite a while now, so I thought I'd reach out to see if you had seen anything similar before.

I'll try to force an update by moving a marker, but because there is an entire build process that takes place before I see the end result, it will take me a while to report back. Hope to have more information for you soon.

I don't know for sure what exact version we're on, but the install notes mention the date 26/01/2018. Other than that all references are just to V3.