Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi Ben,

Yes, the script uses the namespace AwesomeTechnologies, but also the VEGETATION_STUDIO compiler define. Does this not work on your end? No issues are known with this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. Ben_Iyan

Ben_Iyan

Hi Raoul,

This is the second time I've had trouble with this. Should I have deleted the existing installation prior to upgrading to the new version?

Ben

3. raoul

raoul

Hi Ben,

Have you opened the script? Can you check if the compiler define does what it should do? This compiler define is added by Vegetation Studio. If it does not exist in your project that code should not be compiled.

Your really shouldn't have issues with this at all.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PlatformDependentCompilation.html

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. IsDon

IsDon

Thanks Raoul,

It was really easy to adjust this script for what I needed, but I stil had different behaviour when manually toggling the followTerrainContours off then on again vs doing it in the scripts (terrain Markers were floating above road surface, while rest of road was snapped to terrain properly when using scripts - I suspect I had a manual Y offset on the road network which caused this)

I've actually had alot more success selecting the markers manually today so the issue is sorted - not sure if your scripts became much nicer behaved in the last update or if I've just managed to clean my scene up and fixed some issue there, but its great to use again, and the 2000km road network is all sitting nicely again.

Have a good one.

5. Ben_Iyan

Ben_Iyan

Hi Raoul,

The compiler define is there, but when I remove VS, I get 22 errors. The following are two examples:

Assets/EasyRoads3D/Scripts/ERVegetationStudio.cs(17,3): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `AwesomeTechnologies' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/EasyRoads3D/Scripts/ERVegetationStudio.cs(44,4): error CS0841: A local variable `vegetationMaskLine' cannot be used before it is declared

Ben

6. raoul

raoul

Hi IsDon,

The script I sent was related to activating Terrain deformation only, I belief that was the topic in that post.

"Follow Terrain Contours" in the Inspector indeed also snaps markers to the terrain.

Glad to hear you got all that sorted out anyway!

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. raoul

raoul

Hi Ben,

So you did actually have Vegetation Studio imported but removed it afterwards?

Top Menu > Edit > Project Settings > Player > Other Settings > "Scripting Define Symbols" (near the bottom in Configuration)

Please remove "VEGETATION_STUDIO"

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. bgrz

bgrz

I've noticed that scene size gets really large really quickly with EasyRoads (asset serialization is set to "Force Text" due to version control). Here's a small test I made:
    • new scene with terrain added: scene file size 9kb
    • added empty EasyRoads to scene, save: scene file size 23kb (that's fine)
    • added empty default road, save: 35kb (I could live with that)
    • drew 1km of straight road using 2 points, save: 937kb (already too much)
    • inserted one more point, drag points to extend the road to 3km: 2743kb
    • pressed "Build Terrain(s)" and then "Back to Edit Mode": 4737kb
    • imported 16 side objects we have prepared, via "Import Side Objects" button and saved the scene: 9722kb
    • enabled 3 side objects (tunnel, fence, handrail): 20361kb
    these numbers don't look promising, since we plan to have hundreds of kilometers of roads. Is there an option that I'm not seeing which would disable saving all this data into the scene? All we need is info about control points and their associated options, everything rest can be regenerated every time we open the scene.

9. raoul

raoul

Hello bgrz,

That is what the Finalize option does. Obviously that will not work in your version control setup.

The Finalize option will be further optimized in case runtime functionality is required. Additional options can be added here, cleaning up data etc. while still working on the road network.

Thanks,
    Raoul

10. protopop

protopop

Can we add side objects to both sides in one pass? I'd like to add rocks to both sides of my stream. Right now i have one side object for the left rocks (x:10) and one for the right rocks (x:-10). It would be more manageable if i just had one side object for both. Is this possible?

11. raoul

raoul

Hello protopop,

That is definitely on the to do list. If side objects would always be generated along the full spline it would already be possible. It gets more complicated when independently the side object is switched off for marker sections. This will need some more work. New side object features are planned for v3.3, this is part of that. But I will see if this can be added in an earlier update.

Thanks,
    Raoul

protopop likes this.
  12. recon0303

recon0303

Yup depends what they are using it for. :) Nope no worries about substances, we handled it on our end anyways. sad to see Unity has done this, I know many investors who left.Unity they had enough of Unity. .I also know many good developers in the industry that had enough of Unity, and retired from Unity for good. due to Substances, on Unity end, they been acting this way for awhile...Many AAA and indie rely on Substances as they are amazing, its sad to see Unity do this..and not really care. So its there loss.. I know I wanted to use Unreal for our current game. but I got out voted, due to the team we are using, don't know Unreal well. .. It sad though that Unity has hindered asset developers as well with certain aspects such as limited to no support. Anyways keep up the good work.,.

Looking forward to seeing what you do in the future. but for now, I will just keep an eye on it. Take it easy Raoul .

13. raoul

raoul

Hi recon0303,

Ok, let me know if there is anything you need related to this, just in case...

We were surprised to see that for example ProceduralMaterial is no longer directly supported in Unity 2018. It was only used to get the diffuse texture of substance materials. If anyone still needs this there are probably ways to add this functionality back in.

Thanks,
    Raoul

recon0303 likes this.
  14. recon0303

recon0303

Yup there is, you still can add, but right now there is no way to add defines and such for terrain related shaders, like Mega Splats, RTP and CTS etc. So its a huge pain and work around.

The new add on doesn't have the ability yet. but yes, we have found ways, to add this its a bit of a pain. But we been in close contact with Allegorithmic . due to many asset devs and others needing support, its more terrain shader related than anything where the issues happen. So but you can add on meshes still pretty easily. If your're using as a Texture only you still can do. but if your doing anything procedural, changing settings, etc that is another story it was a real pain.

aAlegorithmic are also involved, with myself and a few others with these issues with Unity they stated last week when myself and few others expressed our concern for better support with the new add on. but ya Allegorithmic took over support since Unity, was always taking for ever with the last version when Substance Designer 6 came out. hehe. a

anyways, wanted to share that with you incase you where interested or didn't know.

/cheers

15. raoul

raoul

When Unity started supporting substances we looked into it. Although we can see the power, we never really used it for projects. At some point, early v3 beta, a user send us a substance road material we could use for the provisional beta scene. That is when we added support for ProceduralMaterial because it broke UV Editor functionality where the diffuse/albedo texture of the involved material is used. Substances are not brought up that often so for now it is simply removed. At the end, for the purpose of what it was used for, there are still workarounds to do the same, use a temporary material with the substance diffuse texture to get the UVs right. I never tried this but I would think this will work just fine. If many people need this we can look for ways to add direct support back in.

Anyway, we will keep an eye on this and see where this goes :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. recon0303

recon0303

I been using Substances for the first time when I worked with a AAA company. The 2nd time, I bought it and started using it with other engines that supported it, Then Unity did...Sadly no offense the issue is Many users from Unity plug and play things,..,Substances you need to make your self.. as someone who does client work, nearly 100% of them are MADE incorrectly and optimized that was the issue...Also many do not understand the power...and as I said they BUY them,.. like for example in the Rome pack they are there, so they use in packs, so for example if you guys aren't selling it with your own pack, not many use , as they don't know how..many users at Unity are beginners... not to knock them... I make my living fixing things such as Substances in many engines and games.. Again many people are losing the true look and power of substances...

we have this convo many times with beginners and some even some what experienced devs.....Many are NOT artist...they can barely 3d model again NOT to knock them... So this is why you do not see that many... anyways. Unity has lost investors that want to use them and rely on them such as our selves...So if they keep up this behavior, they can stick to making small games...and mobile ...if they want to move to the AAA realm, they will need to support tools such as Substances properly. That is Unity's issue right now...

Unreal many use Substances...it is a widely used tool, that is why they are in business. Its been around since 2003 roughly...So Unity is way behide in that regard to what people are wanting and can make BETTER games....The quality, you can get with substances is amazing, and being able to reuse the same graphs is amazing..Procedrual, changes is another, so again many people are missing out...

I see what people are making with Shaders with say roads, which is decent, but I feel they are LACKING, realism, with Substances, its night and day.. what you can make. Also another is using them as decals, which is what we do . Its great. anyways. a little incite of why Unity users don't use as much...Lack of experience..But more widely used in the AAA world, and engines such as Unreal.. and Cry.

Good read for you.

https://80.lv/articles/benefits-of-procedural-materials/

This is one company I did some work for and used them. before.

17. protopop

protopop

Can we add noise to the edges of a road where it adds the splat map and/or removes the grass, so the edges of the road are more irregular?

Not to the generated road mesh, which i dont use because im making dirt paths using the splatmap feature only. And without manually adjusting individual markers?

Like in the attached image.

Attached Files:

• road.png
      road.png
      File size:
      89.9 KB
      Views:
    recon0303 likes this.
  18. Ben_Iyan

Ben_Iyan

Hi Raoul,

That fixed it! You da man!

Ben

19. raoul

raoul

The substance material I mentioned that was part of the beta package worked by itself but is wasn't setup correctly either. We couldn't get hold of the person who made it, so we removed it from the package.

Thank you for the link, I will check it.

Raoul

recon0303 likes this.
  20. raoul

raoul

Hi protopop,

That too is on the list for more options. At the moment only one splatmap prototype index can be selected, this will be improved. Together with this there will be more control including adding noise.

V2 actually had the option to export and reimport the road shape as a png file. This could be used to add for example noise in a paint program. Perhaps this could be useful too for v3?

Thanks,
    Raoul

protopop and recon0303 like this.
  21. raoul

raoul

Hi Ben,

Glad to hear that worked :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. recon0303

recon0303

Ya, not surprised. Well in the future, when you guys get to that point, I would be happy to let you have one of my road, substances, if you like. If you need ONE done properly. Let me know. When you guys do add support. in the future.

Thanks for the replies. Keep up the great work.

raoul and hopeful like this.
  23. recon0303

recon0303

Sorry for hi-jacking, but I would say yes, and remember this from V2. I personally would find that useful. .cheers.

24. raoul

raoul

Thinking of it, I belief the reason why that wasn't added is because v2 was road specific, v3 is more road network optimized where each road can use another splatmap prototype index. This makes merging the png with the terrain splatmap a little bit more complicated especially when more then 4 splatmap prototypes are used, unless this is still done per road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

recon0303 likes this.
  25. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Raoul,

I am working with the ER API in an attempt to have drones flying in the scene. For example if I start from "Road Name" and get the splines in the center (GetSplinePointsCenter) and then I would call ERConnection erConnection = currentRoad.GetConnectionAtEnd(); Which leads me to a collection of connection objects that have a road as a child. This is all great and works fine. (nicely crafted api, btw. And I have spent 20+ years looking at many, MANY APIs)

Thing is, based on how the roads are laid, the .GetConnectionAtEnd may be the wrong choice, or so it seems (tell me I am wrong) and that I need to sometimes use GetConnectionAtStart.

My question is: when I come to an intersection and get the roads that are connected to it, is there a way to know if the road STARTS at this connection or ENDS on this connection/intersection.

Thanks

26. raoul

raoul

Hi James,

The focus is on expanding the editor functionality. Although eventually all editor options will also be available in the scripting API and additional options like useful in the situation you described, it is currently expanded based on requests only.

So sometimes a workaround is required. In this case you could get a reference to both the start and end connection of that specific road and find a match on the actual connection gameObject.

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. protopop

protopop

Is it possible to export the markers from a road into gameobjects?

Im using easyroads to make rivers. then in a separate step i lay a river spine over the road by eyeballing it. Id use the easyroads river spline, but i have one thats more bumpy for my needs. If i can export gameobjects markers, i could use those markers for my riverspline and exactly follow the road.

BTW its working great for roads and rivers in general. I really love that you can go back and forth to test it.

raoul likes this.
  28. raoul

raoul

Hi protopop,

That looks great! Longer video please :)

Attached is an amended version of the waypoints script with an additional menu item for marker positions.

Please drop the script in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/

A ne menu item "EasyRoads3D" will be added in the top menu with two options: "Waypoints" and "Marker Waypoints"

Select the "road" object as usual by selecting one of the blue marker handles and run "Marker Waypoints". Empty game objects will be added in the hierarchy as childs of the selected "road" object

Thanks,
    Raoul

btw. After you asked about a single side object for both the left and right side of as track, I made some notes. I will see if I can add this in between things.

Attached Files:

29. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Ok, understood. If I work out a proper pattern I'll post it here.

Have a great evening

raoul likes this.
  30. protopop

protopop

Cool - Thanks for the script:) I will check this out.

raoul likes this.
  31. azmidahalan

azmidahalan

Hi raoul,

I've just started using Easy roads 3d, and would like to do the decals of the roads, but there is no start decals and decal in the road settings, if there is one, where and how do you put it in. Your input in this matter is highly appreciated

Thank You

Attached Files:

32. raoul

raoul

Hi azmidahalan,

Looking at the Inspector, it seems you are using an older version, is that right? In V3.1, even when no decal presets are available, the start / end decal dropdowns will be visible just below the Flip Road Texture / UVs and Flip Normals buttons.

Next is that decal presets must be available. The main Pro package only has one simple road type for which no decals exits yet. The demo package update has some decal examples, this will be uploaded the coming week. The HD Roads add on pack uses this new v3.1 feature extensively.

Decal presets can be added for each road type in General Settings > Road Types.

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/decals.php

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

sadly, Unity 2018.1.6

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'EasyRoads3D/Unity 2018 Standard': invalid subscript 'uv2' at /_Programy/UnityEngine_Versions/2018.1.6f1/Editor/Data/CGIncludes/UnityStandardMeta.cginc(21) (on d3d11)
    3. Compiling Vertex program
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

34. Hugo-Bille

Hugo-Bille

Hi Raoul,

I'm having trouble getting started with the scripting API. I have built a road network using the inspector controls and I want to access all the juicy data in the ERRoadNetwork and ERRoad classes (for placing stuff like navmesh volumes along road splines, triggering the terrain deformation from a custom editor script etc) and there is a lot of documentation about those classes on the site, but how do I actually access the instances? I can access the components in the scene just fine of course (ERModularBase, ERModularRoad), but they are not covered by the documentation at all and I can't seem to find any references from them to the deeper classes? Please let me know if there's some scripting tutorial or documentation that I'm missing, it seems to me that I've looked everywere. Thanks in advance,
    Hugo

35. raoul

raoul

Hi Rastapastor,

Unless the Unity Standard shader in Unity 2018 has changed this should work just fine, it is almost an exact copy of the Standard Shader itself. The only difference is that Offset X, X is added. I will double check.

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. raoul

raoul

Hi Hugo-Bille,

The same constructor for an already existing road network instance in the scene can be used because there can only be one instance in a scene.

ERRoadNetwork roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork();

It is mentioned at the top in the manual. You have access to ERRoad instances from the ERRoadNetwork class.

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. Hugo-Bille

Hugo-Bille

Awesome, that works great. You might want to consider a simple example script or something in the documentation, personally I didn't consider using the constructor as I assumed it would create new stuff. I'm back on track now though, thanks a lot!

38. raoul

raoul

@Rastapastor,

After searching on "invalid subscript 'uv2' at" this actually appears to be a general issue with the Standard shader in 2018.

Does the shader not work for you at all? Can you try a Reimport of that shader?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  39. raoul

raoul

Yes, tutorials for the scripting API is being worked. Glad to hear you got that working!

Thanks,
    Raoul

IsDon likes this.
  40. azmidahalan

azmidahalan

Dear Raoul

Thank you for the reply, but we bought the latest version, please refer to the attached picture, do we need to re-download gain, or is there any other way that you could recommend.

Best Regards
    Azmi.

Attached Files:

41. azmidahalan

azmidahalan

Dear Raoul

Its OK, we have resolve the matter, than you for your kind attention.

Best Regards
    Azmi

42. raoul

raoul

Hi Azmi,

Glad to hear you resolved that. Looking at the visible substance material error, it seems this was related to importing the demo package as well, overwriting the v3.1 Pro version. An update of the demo package will be uploaded this week.

Thanks,
    Raoul

43. azmidahalan

azmidahalan

Dear Raoul

We have installed the new Easyroads 3D main file and also the add on, but this time there is only 1 type of road available, as before there is about 20 + type of road, is all the road type located inside the demo package?, if that the case, we have to wait until you upload the latest demo versions.

Best regards
    Azmi

44. raoul

raoul

Hi Azmi,

The HD Roads add on has its own road types. Please check the documentation / video how to import these road types / side objects in your project. Or simply open the HD Roads demo scene and select > deselect the road network object. This will update the available road types / side object data in your project in a way that these road types and side objects can also be used in other scenes.

If this is related to the demo package road types, for now please first import the demo package and afterwards import the Pro version, which is v3.1.

Thanks,
    Raoul

45. serberusno1

serberusno1

Wondering if someone can help me with spawning some road side objects. Specifically just some simple guard rails on the roads I've created already. I can't seem to create them and unfortunately and the manual isn't too clear on that and the video tutorials are super old. Any help would be appreciated.

46. raoul

raoul

Hello serberusno1,

What does your guard rails look like?

Have you seen the demo package? It includes various side object examples with links to tutorials on our website. The demo package also includes a guard rail example. The setup is similar to the wall and concrete barrier procedural side object examples.

http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/side_objects.php#wallFarm
    http://unityterraintools.com/tutorials/side_objects.php#concreteBarrier

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. serberusno1

serberusno1

Thanks for the reply. Well my problem is that I can't figure out how to actually get any side objects to spawn. I'm seeing lots of options for side objects but I have no idea what buttons to press or what the procedure is to get any side objects to actually spawn

*Edit* I'm basically looking for a step by step guide on how to create a little stretch of road and how to add some side objects such as barriers to it. The current documentation is pretty confusing as it's basically a list of what every option does but doesn't explain the actual procedure to follow to create side objects.

48. raoul

raoul

Hi serberusno1,

After selecting a road you will see the main Side Object options in the Inspector just below the main "Road Settings" section. Here you can activate side objects for the selected road. After activating a side object it will be instantly generated along the road shape unless "Default active state for each marker" in the Side Object Manager for this side object is switched off.

After that you can activate / deactivate the side object for specific marker sections further below in "Marker Side Object Settings" just below the main marker settings. Here it is also possible to fine tune the position, Start / End Offsets, rotations. The Start /End offsets can also be adjusted in Scene View, the H Key toggles this on/off. Unless the cam is zoomed out, draggable handles will be displayed at the start / end position of the side object section.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. serberusno1

serberusno1

Hey thanks for the reply. Unfortunately though I still don't get it. You say "after activating a side object" That's my problem. No matter what button I press I can't get any side objects to appear. Pictures or a video would help here as honestly it's really difficult to use the menus in this. I don't know if I should be in edit mode or if my road should be built already, for what functionality should I be in the side object manager? Could you please do an updated video for this? Or at least a step by step set of images as the menus are so context sensitive that if you do one step incorrectly it screws up every other step

50. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to unity and I've recently got my hands on EasyRoads3D V3 and I was wondering if anyone can point me to a Vehicle Controller/Physics system that works well with EasyRoads3D V3?

Also does anyone know what traffic system might be best and usable with EasyRoads3D v3?

Thanks