Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi Gareth,

Not yet, but I have a first beta for Unity 5 almost ready, it is mentioned in one of the last posts on the previous page.

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. raoul

raoul

Hi,

For those waiting for the Unity 5 version, I just updated the beta 5 link. It now includes a first build for Unity 5.

Thanks,
    Raoul

RagingJacob likes this.
  3. Archestratidas

Archestratidas

Hello,

I'm interested in the runtime functionality. Specifically, I'd like to add roads to town clusters that I'm generating procedurally with TerrainComposer at start by script. On top of that, I'd like to let the user add and upgrade roads/rail lines of their own. Is this possible with v3?

Also, do roads automatically merge or create intersections with new roads added close to them?

Thank you for your time.

4. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

Hi @raoul

I just bought this in the sale.
    I'm importing it to my project now and i just thought I would ask if it's worth me sigining up for the beta version before I go ahead and design a road network?

Many thanks.

5. raoul

raoul

Hello Archestratidas,

The runtime API is at an early stage, the option to add crossings is not yet supported.

Rail lines, do you mean train rail lines? That is also not yet fully supported unless you use the side object system for that like in v2. But for train rails an improved solution will be implemented. It requires some small changes to the custom crossing option.

In general, the API can be used to generate roads etc at runtime through code, initially no GUI related functionality for adding roads will be part of it. But you can add that yourself and if there is demand for that, I can add it in a later stage once everything is done.

Automatically creating intersections is something that needs to be implemented for the OSM / KML feature as well. When that is done it will also be added to the runtime API which essentially will be a similar situation.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  6. raoul

raoul

Hi sheffieldlad,

v3 has a better workflow and includes a lot more options then v2. And apart from the v2 splatmap feature (which will be implemeneted as well), the current beta can do everything v2 does.

But it is a beta, there are specific things you shouldn't do at the moment, like connecting the start and end of a road to crossings with different geometry structures, there are still bits and pieces to improve and more options to add. The known issues and troubleshooting sections in the manaul includes more info on that.

So, v2 is the stable version but if you do not mind looking into v3, etc. I would recommend to try that first. If it already works for you, there is no need to get familiar with two road systems as v3 works entirely different compared to v2.

Drop me an email or a PM if you want to try v3!

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

Many thanks Raoul.
    This is a great asset :)

8. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

Hi @raoul

Is ther a way to change the size of the intersections?
    I need to add several single track dirt crossings with roads in between.
    I make the first section of road with a width of 20 and when I add a single track dirt crossing to the end the road width drops to 3. I can't change the width back.
    Is there a way to do this or would I have to create a custome crossing?

Many thanks,

Paul.

9. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

It's ok, I've worked it out :) Made a custom crossing. I now have a nicely set out main road with lots of interconnected dirt tracks. This is one of the best assets on the store and I really believe it's worth 3 times the current price.

10. raoul

raoul

Hi sheffiedlad,

Thank you, glad you like it and good to hear you got that working! :)

With regard to dynamic crossings, you can change the widths of crossings in the scene by selecting a crossing and click the "Select Connection in Hierarchy" button. This will display all the crossing options in the Inspector, X, T-Crossings, materials, connections widths, sidewalks, etc. But as you mentioned dirt tracks, the current dynamic crossing options are not ideal for that, it is indeed better to use custom crossings for dirt tracks for now.

Also with regard to dynamic crossings in a scene, it is worth it to go through the workflow sections in the first parts of the manual, setting up crossings for your scene so you can reuse them.

At the moment, I am improving and adding more options to the side objects system. After that I will add more options to the dynamic crossings type.

Thanks,
    Raoul

sheffieldlad likes this.
  11. JOKaija

JOKaija

So. I bought a PRO version just a few minutes ago too. And I really like to get download link for cross road section version. (Need it for Settlers 7 style terrain/pathfinding system).

There is my email addres: jari.kaija@gmail.com

12. raoul

raoul

Hi JOKaija,

I just send you an email

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

Has anyone reported that the user created custom roads are not saved?
    I deleted several in my last session and now none of them are available as road types when In the connection settings of my new custom crossing.

14. raoul

raoul

Hi sheffieldlad,

With user "created custom roads", do you mean General Settings > Road Types?

Or do you mean custom crossing / connection objects? What exactly is not saved? Roads in the scene?

Also related to the above, what exactly did you delete? What do you mean with "none of them are available as road types when In the connection settings of my new custom crossing".

If these are indeed road types, road types are currently not displayed in the custom crossing settings. In custom crossings you define connections and the road material for the roads connected to these crossings. In a next update it will be possible to auto create Road Types from these connections so you can also start a road with that shape and material directly from the second tab from the left (New Road tab).

Or did you mean something else?

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. JOKaija

JOKaija

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I just figured out, that er3d v3 won't work with WP8 / WP8.1 GOD DAMN IT!!!

WP8 System doesn't include buffered read/write methods as they are written in your code. DAMN! Mandatory device to work with... :(

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  16. raoul

raoul

Hi JOKaija,

Yes, there seem to be issues with Windows Phone as the target platform. I will look into that.

You mentioned Settlers 7 style terrain/pathfinding system, do you indeed intend to use this at runtime? If not, the EasyRoads3D scripts are not required at runtime.

BufferedStream is primarily used to store terrain backup data (not required at runtime). Even if this issue is not resolved once your game is ready and you need the runtime functionality, I can provide a custom build.

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. JOKaija

JOKaija

Yes. Settlers 7 style. I use this tool for MAIN roads, which are not editabled.

For roads, which start from static main road and goes to dynamically inserted buildings, I just make a visible path with textures to terrain and create a nav path what follows that dynamically created visible path (road).

It's a little tricky, but seems to work good enough.

IDEAL SITUATION WOULD BE:

- You can add a t-junctions where you want dynamically, and build road with easy X,Z, and Y (Y taken from current terrain levels between path) path coordinates going to the building. When the dynamically created road is ready, just calling automatically terrain levelling function. (It's easy part of code, made an one by myself too, for levelling terrain under dynamically inserted buildings ;)).

- The road Network itself works as a navigation path. (Right now I bake my static roads for troops and workers).

Ofcourse, I could code a whole road system with navigation options by myself too, but if I (even) try to code ALL game code parts myself, my game will never be ready o_O And isn't that great, that you can earn money too from our (idiotic :rolleyes:) needs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  18. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

@raoul Sorry, that was a typo....

When I said I deleted several road types I meant to say I created several road types..... Long day at the keyboard :)

Here are the steps I took, What I expected and what actually happened..

General Settings>Road Types>Add new road type

Named it, set a width (20 in this case) added a road material and a crossing material.
    I left the other settings alone.
    I then went General settings>Crossing / connection prefabs
    Named my crossing, selected prefab type Crossing and clicked create prefab.
    Shift click in the scene to instantiate a temporary prefab.

General settings:
    checked T crossing. Removed tick from include sidewalks.

Connection Settings:
    selected unique connections.
    for each connection I selected the road type I had just made.

Didn't touch Corner / Sidewalk Settings.

Clicked yes to update the prefab.
    All is well and good. I created some crossings and placed my road markers inbetween until I had a nice road network. Built the terrain, Finalised the road.
    works really well :)

I then came to create another road network a day or so later.
    The crossing I had created is still in the list under Add new connection prefab. It shows up in the dynamic prefabs.
    The road I created however is no where to be seen.
    When I click the add new road / object tab I have two options. Select road type and default road where as before my road types were in the list.

I expected the road to still be there. Maybe the road isn't saved by design? Maybe it's a bug?
    To be fair, it's not a big thing, I can re create the road types fairly quickly but I didn't know if it was a bug or not.

Hope this is clear,

Thanks for your help.

19. raoul

raoul

Yes, getting everything done in a project can certainly be a lengthy process :)

Ok, but if those T-crossings should be part of the none editable roads I guess you do need runtime functionality.

Anyway, these Windows Phone issues will be looked at and let me know if you need a solution before that.

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. raoul

raoul

Yes, that is clear! The bit I missed yesterday was that you actually finalized the road network and started a new one.

This is indeed something that needs to be improved. Currently Road Types are stored in the Road Network object. So, when you create a new Road Network only the default options will be available. I still have to decide how to do this across Road Networks / Unity scenes. You could say only displaying the default road types is useful so you can create different road networks and road types keeping each road network unique and clean without displaying unused options. On the other hand it can be confusing like in your situation.

This will probably be implemented similar as with side objects which are stored in the Road Network object as well, but also separately in the assets folder so you can import exisiting side objects (or a selection) in new scenes / road networks.

Please let me know if you have better suggestions!

Thanks,
    Raoul

sheffieldlad likes this.
  21. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

From my point of view I think it would be easier if the created road types were stored in the assets folder too.
    I'll be adding new roads to this project every few weeks or so (it's a large open world map) and it would simplify my workflow if I could choose my required roadtype from a list like the interface suggests I can.

But of course, that is just my situation. I have no idea whether it's a typical situation of your user base

Thanks.

22. raoul

raoul

They will be stored in the assets folder. I will add this to the next beta update, probably available somewhere next week.

Thanks,
    Raoul

sheffieldlad likes this.
  23. JOKaija

JOKaija

Runtime funtionality would be more than what I can ever ask. It would be awesome!

About WP8. I can wait and continue with PC, I really hope, you won't reject this project before WP8 functionality are done ;).

There is too many assets, which doesn't work with WP and coder haven't www-pages about documentation etc. anymore.

24. raoul

raoul

That is very unlikely, EasyRoads3D exists for over 5 years now. Initially v3 was a struggle but we are on track now with this new v3 system. It still takes time though to implement all the features hence why I mentioned contacting me when your project is ready for publishing and the Windows Phone issues have not yet been addressed. This BufferedStream issue is not required at runtime, I can simply remove it and prepare a custom build for you.

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. JOKaija

JOKaija

Please do so. But only, if you have enough coke to keep brains working.

There were some registrykey issues in error list too...

It will help a lot of my Project.

26. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

That sounds great @raoul
    How do we know when new beta versions get released?

27. raoul

raoul

The registry code is also not required at runtime so that will not cause issues for a custom build. But I will make sure to test everything for Windows Phone builds for the package itself.

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. raoul

raoul

New beta updates are always announced in this thread and on our website. Also, when you are on the beta list you will receive an email with download info.

Thanks,
    Raoul

sheffieldlad likes this.
  29. Pryzmeister

Pryzmeister

Hi, i have just built a fairly large city road network taking 3 days or so work and have just noticed a couple of problems that trouble me, and hopefully there is a simple solution i am missing.

1. When using the default road with sidewalk as i have, the outside edge of the road has a gap- ie: there is no side poly so there is a gap all around the outside edge of my road network.. I did notice the Cross pieces have an option to turn on called "outer curb" and this did indeed fix the problem on the crossings.. however i cannot find any such option for all the road pices to get rid of this gap. How can this be done?

2. When i use the build terrain tool to get the road and terrain aligned, i end up with many places where the road and terrain are not matched up at all.. either the terrain covers the road or there is a gap under the road. What is the best way to avoid this? I did try using the raise road network option, but then i get floating roads above the terrain everywhere, not just in some locations. I unfortunately cannot manually adjust all these locations.

Thanks in advance.

30. raoul

raoul

Hi Pryzmeister,

1. I think currently the only way to update the roads is to reconnect them by first disconnecting them at both sides, this way the road auto adapts to the new crossings geomtery structure. Another thing you can try is switching the sidewalks off and back on. But there is an issue with this in the current beta, check the troubleshooting page in the manual.

The problem with changing the crossing geometry structure with roads already connected is that it cannot update the road as well unless it is only connected at that crossing. If it is also connected on the other side of the road, that connection will create errors because the geomtery struture no longer matches. I will see if there is a solution for this.

2. Terrain deformation should work just fine unless the road shape is too detailed / curved for the terrains heightmapscale. Can you show screenshots (if you want you can email me or sent a PM)? What is your terrain size / heightmap resolution? Could this also be related to point 1? Does this happen near crossings and after you updated the crossings while the roads didn't update?

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. brute-

brute-

Hi Raoul,
    Is there a way to access the "Build Terrain" and "Export Road Network" from an editor script? Is it a public function, if so what are the function names? I have an automatic build server and I need to be able to create the road meshes and make the build the terrain by a script.
    Ideally something like this:
    ERModularBase.BuildTerrain()
    ErModularBase.ExportRoadNetwork("Assets/models/etc.obj")

Thank you!

32. raoul

raoul

Hi brute-,

The final version will come with an API especially to provide runtime support. This will work inside the Unity editor as well. Provisional runtime scripts are available in the package. I just tested this inside the editor and building the road network seems to work:

Code (csharp):
    1. ERRoadNetwork roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork();
    2. roadNetwork.BuildRoadNetwork();
    Restoring the road network doesn't fully work, so be careful with saving the scene etc. if you still need the editor functionality after running the above code! I will fix all this so it will work inside the editor as well. I will also add the option to export the road network.

I just finished building new beta packages so it will not be part of the next release available tomorrow. But you can contact me if you want to test this, I can send you alpha builds.

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. Chuckalicious

Chuckalicious

I'm having issues getting EasyRoads3D Pro v2.5.6 (ERP) to work with Terrain Composer v1.52 (TC) both the latest asset versions as of 2/22/2015. Can't add road markers when TC consists of multiple terrains. Unity 4.6.2f1 Free Version
    My simple example follows the TC "Getting Started"

setting up 2X2 terrain. The terrain is generated with all textures, heights, and objects. I turn off the tree/grass rendering for better performance.
    I follow the guidelines for ERP http://www.unityterraintools.com/manual.php#settings
    getting started and noted the settings option for multiple terrains must be selected (~per Raoul's comments in the asset store, "EasyRoads3D should work with terrains generated with Terrain Composer. The only thing to pay attention to, is that TC usually results in Multiple Terrains in the scene. EasyRoads3D v2 is optimized to work with one terrain, but it can handle multiple terrains, General Settings > Multiple Terrains (see the manual for more). This is further improved in v3.").
    I simply hold shift and click on one of the TC quads and ERP just flicks and ...nothing. No markers are added. What am I missing? I very much want to use these assets in an upcoming project with imposed deadlines. These would help significantly in our team realizing our goals.
    ~Thanks Chuck
    LaughingSkull LLC of Arizona
    YouTube (LaughingSkull and CodersExpo)

34. Chuckalicious

Chuckalicious

I also tried making a change in TC to only create one terrain (as opposed to 4 terrain quads). I removed the setting in ERP for "Multiple Terrain", made sure the Render Settings.Active Terrain was identified. TC also has a terrain collider and I can see the ERP EasyRoads3DTerrainID script with id value assigned.
    Now, shift/clicking the terrain to add a marker results in error messages:
    ERROR #1
    MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'TerrainCollider' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEngine.Collider.Internal_Raycast (UnityEngine.Collider col, Ray ray, UnityEngine.RaycastHit& hitInfo, Single distance) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/EditorGenerated/NewDynamics.cs:2030)
    UnityEngine.Collider.Raycast (Ray ray, UnityEngine.RaycastHit& hitInfo, Single distance) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/EditorGenerated/NewDynamics.cs:2038)
    RoadObjectEditorScript.OnScene () (at Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js:1319)
    RoadObjectEditorScript.OnSceneGUI () (at Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js:89)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1660)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1079)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:989)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    ERROR#2
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    RoadObjectEditorScript.OnScene () (at Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js:1319)
    RoadObjectEditorScript.OnSceneGUI () (at Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js:89)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1660)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1079)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:989)
    *************Update***************
    I deleted the ERP object instance from the hierarchy. Created a new instance and was able to get ERP to start adding road markers. So far so good now (with one terrain only, still can't use the multi terrain features of TC).
    However, I couldn't keep the same name for my ERP object because it said it already exists, even though I deleted it. Where is this serialized reference saved so I can clean up?
    Roads look good! I'm getting excited about the potential this tool has. Is it possible to create intersecting roads (intersections)?
    The only issue I consistently see at this time (with one terrain) is, I keep getting these errors:
    ERROR#1
    MissingMethodException: EasyRoads3D.OOOQODCODO.OQDDQCQDDC
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.MethodDispatcherFactory.ProduceExtensionDispatcher ()
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.MethodDispatcherFactory.Create ()
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.DoCreateMethodDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Type targetType, System.String name, System.Object[] args)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.CreateMethodDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object[] args)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices+<Invoke>c__AnonStorey15.<>m__9 ()
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherCache.Get (Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherKey key, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String cacheKeyName, System.Type[] cacheKeyTypes, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Object[] args, System.String cacheKeyName, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.Invoke (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object[] args)
    UnityScript.Lang.UnityRuntimeServices.Invoke (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object[] args, System.Type scriptBaseType)
    RoadObjectEditorScript.EasyRoadsGUIMenu (Boolean flag, Boolean senderIsMain, .RoadObjectScript nRoadScript) (at Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js:107)
    RoadObjectEditorScript.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js:66)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean forceDirty, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1094)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    ERROR#2
    ArgumentException: Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing Repaint
    Aborting
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayoutUtility.cs:513)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (Single minWidth, Single maxWidth, Single minHeight, Single maxHeight, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayoutUtility.cs:306)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (Single width, Single height) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayoutUtility.cs:281)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.Space () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:5807)
    RoadObjectEditorScript.EasyRoadsGUIMenu (Boolean flag, Boolean senderIsMain, .RoadObjectScript nRoadScript) (at Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js:152)
    RoadObjectEditorScript.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js:66)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean forceDirty, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1094)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    Thanks
    ~Chuck

35. raoul

raoul

Hi Chuck,

First of all, your questions are v2 related (this thread is the v3 WIP).

In v3 multiple terrain support works out of the box. In v2 enabling Multiple Terrains is step one.

The next step ("See the manual for more" in the quote you included) is to select the terrain you are working on. You can do that by selecting it from the dropdown further below in General Settings or by ctrl+alt+click on the specific terrain in scene view. You should now be able to add markers. When you build the road object and deform the terrain (middle mountain tab), this specific terrain will be targeted. This way you can build the roads and test it on all terrains. When all looks good, uncheck the Restore option below the Multiple Terrains check box. When you switch back to Edit Mode the terrain will not be restored. This way you can build all final terrains.

I realize this workflow is not ideal, this process was implemented a couple of years ago by request of a user. At that time it was not common to have multiple terrains in a scene. With the popular TC tool this has changed. Hence why all this works much easier in v3.

Your other question about deleted roads and not being able to reuse these road names, EasyRoads3D stores specific data (road splatmaps, exported .obj files, etc.) in a folder named after the specific road name outside the assets folder ([your project]/EasyRoads3D/[road object name]). When you remove this folder as well, you will be able to re use the road name. This is no longer necessary in v3 where the full road network is exported.

The third question about intersections, that is what v3, this thread, is all about. V3 is an entirely new road system. Contact me by PM or email if you like to try it out.

I am not sure about the error message, the second error is related to drawing Inspector controls and is very likely the result of the first error. When exactly do you get this error? Do you always get it, also when creating a new road object?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  36. raoul

raoul

Hi,

The v3 beta 5 download link has been updated with new packages for Unity 4 and Unity 5.

New features:

- Side Objects: Access to side object settings in Build Mode.

- Side Objects > Procedural Mesh Object > Smooth normals:
    This will smooth the normals at the connection between segments.

- Side Objects > Sideways Distance: This is now implemented. This option is useful for objects such as fences moving away and towards the roads. You can control the shape in the Scene View window.

- Side Objects > Start / End Offsets: With this option you have full control over which part of the road the side object should cover. It can be used to align bridge objects nicely with the terrain or align guard rails with bends in the road. Just like with Sideways Distance this can be controlled directly in scene view.

Check the release notes in the manual for additional updates.

Smooth normals (guard rails)

Sideways Distance

Start / End Offsets (the green handle is the marker position)

Thanks,
    Raoul

John-G, sheffieldlad and red2blue like this.
  37. Meceka

Meceka

Hello Raoul, is this version windows phone compatible?

38. raoul

raoul

Hi Meceka,

I haven't been able to test this yet for Windows Phone. Haven't got time yet to get a new Windows 8 machine and set things up properly. I planned to do this after March 14th when I am back from a short vacation.

Meanwhile if you or anyone else can provide all the Windows 8 build errors I can look into that right away and sent alpha versions for testing.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. Autarkis

Autarkis

Hi Raoul,

First of all, I love your plugin :)
    I'm trying to lower the left and right surrounding threshold, but it seems that the lowest value it can go to is the default of 5. Is there a way to lower that more?

40. break_heart

break_heart

Hi,

I was trying to create two bridges on the same road but only get create one, is it a bug?

Thanks.

41. raoul

raoul

Hi Autarkis,

Thank you, glad you like it!

In v2 indeed both the Indent and Surrounding tresholds must have a minimum value. This value depends on the heightmapscale of your terrain object (size vs heightmap resolution). Especially the minimum Indent value is required for accurate terrain deformation. The minimum surrounding value is used for a smooth transition. I have to double check but I think in v3 the minimum surrounding treshold is a fixed small value. But you have to be careful with this when the road is raised above the terrain, the grid based nature of the terrain object will become very clear.

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. raoul

raoul

Hi break_heart,

I just tested this, that should not be a problem. Bridges are side objects and side objects can be enabled / disabled per marker. This way you should be able to add two or more bridges. What exactly goes wrong? Do you get error messages?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  43. Autarkis

Autarkis

Got it. I did find a way to shorten that width a bit in the scene settings ( min was set there at 5, i dropped it to 0 and it still leaves a wide enough margin. I'll keep in mind what might happen when I conform the terrain to the roads in that case.

By the way, is it possible to have two different road networks on the terrain? I drew all my basic road splines and I wanted to carve up some rivers with a new road network and have those be finalized while keeping the first road network without finalizing it, but nothing happens when I add a new road network game object in the scene ( doesnt appear in hierarchy)

44. raoul

raoul

Yes, you can set the deafult Indent / Surrounding values for the road network in General Settings > Scene Settings

When then the road follows the terrain contrours and the terrain is not too hilly, small surrounding values will probably work well. You can do some tests to see how different surrounding values affect the result.

Indeed the number of Road Networks is locked to one per scene. This is to guarantee in the current implementation that the original terrain terrain will be restored when switching back to Edit mode.

A hack that probably will work is to disable the Road Network game object in the Inspector before creating a new one, and always make sure only one Road Network is enabled and keep the disabled Road Networks in Edit Mode. But use this at your own risk! :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  45. The-W-A-T-Z-R

The-W-A-T-Z-R

is it still not V3 yet ? :O using unity free

i still only get the v2.5.6.1 when i inport it from asset store

46. raoul

raoul

Hi, v3 is not publicly released available yet. But If you have the EasyRoads3D Pro version on the asset store, please contact me (pm or email), I will add you to the beta list and send you the current v3 beta if you want to try it. The beta works on Unity free as well.

Apologies, this is taking so long. All this involves a lot of work but the main coding is done. The last bit, the splatmap feature in v2, is implemented in v3 and will be available in the next beta. Now it is a matter of improving bits and pieces, fixing bugs and add more options in some areas (either for v3.0 or v3.x). After that it will be released. But the current beta already is fairly stable.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  47. Barry100

Barry100

hi - i just purchased the v2 of the road tool. Where can I get v3 beta? Or can I add junctions in v2

48. The-W-A-T-Z-R

The-W-A-T-Z-R

where can i find ur email ? i sent a pm i think

49. raoul

raoul

Hi Barry,

I think you also emailed me, I just sent an email back. Please contact me (pm or email) if this was not you. I will add you to the beta list.

Thanks,
    Raoul

50. raoul

raoul

Hi,

The asset store page has a contact option. Or you can send a PM here on the forums or contact me through http://unityterraintools.com/contact1.php

Thanks,
    Raoul