Search Unity

EasyRoads3D v2 is out – Road, rivers, procedural geometry for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raoul, Mar 18, 2011.

1. John3D

John3D

Hi Raoul,

I have a few questions regarding EasyRoads Version: v2.5.9.3 in Unity 4.7.2

1. Can I parent RoadObject01, RoadObject02, etc in empty GameObjects?
    2. How to duplicate RoadObject01 (simple CTRL+D ? ), make some small edits and transform it in RoadObject02?
    3. Are SideObjects (Tunnel, Bridge, side walls ? ) models included in EasyRoads V2? I can't find them.

Thanks!

2. raoul

raoul

Hi John,

I wasn't sure about how this works in v2 (v3 has a duplicate road option).

But CTRL+D seems to work. Afterwards I selected all markers and moved them a little bit. At this point the original road network seems corrupted, however selecting a marker instantly refreshes that road. Then I selected the new road and moved a marker, now this road seems corrupted. Deselect > reselect this road object fixed that.

Parenting in empty GameObject also seems to work well.

Are you experincing issues with this?

Note that this was tested in Unity 5.5

Thanks,
    Raoul

John3D likes this.
  3. John3D

John3D

Hi Raoul,

Thanks for the answers!
    I have another problem now.

I've duplicated the Terrain (gameobject in the Hierarchi) from level 1 in order to make a new level for my game (Bus Simulator 2017).

I've flatten the Terrain, I've created a new RoadObject02 and I've begin to edit it. After I've finished working on Level 2 I compile the game to test it. I then realize that the Terrain from Level 1 is lost and I only see the Road in the game window.

On Level 1 I have the RoadObject01 with all the curves but without the original Terrain. So I created a new Terrain and I thought that I can use the Button to Process the Terrain and create the road geometry.
    I tried that but I get an error. I've also noticed that the Total Road Distance is 0.00 km.

Is there a solution for my problem?
    How can I use a new Terrain with the RoadObject01 ?

Many thanks!

4. raoul

raoul

Hi John,

This sounds more Terrain object workflow related.

You mentioned that you duplicated the terrain in the Hierarchy. If you duplicate a terrain object in the hierarchy the duplicated terrain will use the same terrain data stored in the Assets folder as your level 1 terrain.

For both terrains look in the Inspector and click the Terrain Data object in the Terrain Collider Component. They will both point to the same terrain asset in the assets folder. If you change the terrain one scene, the terrain in the other scene using the same terrain data asset will be updated as well.

To use the same terrain as a starting point for level 2 you can duplicate this Terrain Data asset in the assets folder (instead of in the hierarchy) and replace the terrain in the scene by the duplicated terrain in the assets folder, you can simply drag drop this duplicated terrain in the scene from the assets folder.

Regarding the road distance being 0, did you try the deselect / reselect in my previous post? As soon as the road object updates which can also be done by moving a marker a little bit, the road data, including the distance, should update as well.

Thanks,
    Raoul

v3: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  5. John3D

John3D

Yes, you are right. I'm lacking the experience in working with Unity Terrain.

I've opened now the Unity and it seems that everything is working now: the road distance is showing 6 km now and I'm able to Process the Terrain and create the road geometry. I guess a Unity restart was necessary.

Thanks for the reply!

raoul likes this.
  6. John3D

John3D

Hi Raoul,

I have a question.
    In Unity, I'm in this mode (image1) and I edit the Unity Terrain.

If I click the Process the Terrain and create the road geometry and I get in this mode (image2) all my edits to the Unity Terrain are gone.
    Is this supposed to happen? In V3 is the same?
    Thanks!

7. raoul

raoul

Hi John,

When switching back to Edit Mode the full terrain is restored to the previous state to avoid that the old road shape is still visible in the terrain after changes to the road in Edit Mode. So manual changes in Build Mode are not recommended unless you are finished with the road. But optionally you can switch this Terrain Restore off in General Settings.

In v3 this works differently, all manual terrain changes in Build Mode outside the area affected by the road area are preserved.when switching back to Edit Mode.

Thanks,
    Raoul

John3D likes this.
  8. John3D

John3D

Hi Raoul,

Do you have any idea how I could show to the player the progress that he made on a road that is 7km long?
    Is there a way to get the position of the player based on the markers that I've placed for the road?

Thanks!

9. raoul

raoul

Hi John,

V2 does not have a scripting API like v3.

You could use marker positions but that may not be accurate.

Is this a single road mesh? You could get the number of triangles from the road mesh and raycast on the road, get the hit triangle index. With this information you can calculate the approximate distance. Or more accurate, depending on your road resolution, do something similar but use the hit texture coordinate relative to the texture coordinate at the end of the road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

10. John3D

John3D

Yes, It's a single mesh road.
    Sounds really complicated the option with the raycast (I'm not a programmer :( ).

In V3 is it simpler?
    Thanks!

11. raoul

raoul

In v3 you can have an object follow the road. Getting the current distance is not part of it at the moment but that can be added.

But one way or another some coding is involved. Can you do a little bit of coding?

You can get the number of triangles or UV info though a simple editor script, I can provide the code for that. This info can be stored in the script that will be used to calculate the distance. Raycasting is fairly simple:

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Collider.Raycast.html

For Ray you can use the car position as the origin and Vector3.down as the direction.

RaycastHit will return the triangle index / texture coordinate.

You can now calculate the distance.

Thanks,
    Raoul.

12. eblumrich

eblumrich

Need help-

Bought the asset, followed the import instructions that are on the asset store page, and- well- I get the following error:

Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/ProceduralObjectsEditor.cs(11,15): warning CS0436: The type `ProceduralObjectsEditor' conflicts with the imported type of same name'. Ignoring the imported type definition

And the asset never appears in the top menu bar.

I am running Unity 5.5.0f3, and I am trying to use EasyRoads in conjunction with the "Gaia" asset.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

13. raoul

raoul

Hi eblumrich,

I am not sure where that error comes from. Did you perhaps import the package in a project with the free version already imported? In that case, could you first remove the "EasyRoads3D Free" folder?

Or as a test to check nothing is wrong with the package, try importing it in a new fresh project as a test.

It is no longer allowed to have asset store extensions placed in the top menu. You can find the menu in:

GameObject > Create Other > EasyRoads3D

However, it is very much recommended to start using the v3 beta, https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

It is part of the asset store download as a separate unity package. To avoid v2 and v3 assets getting mixed in the same folder it is recommended to deselect all assets first in the import window and only import the v3 beta package. This is mentioned in the asset store description.

Since you already imported all assets, you could rename the "EasyRoads3D" folder in "EasyRoads3D v2". Look in this folder for the v3 beta package and double click it. Import all v3 assets. Afterwards you can remove the "EasyRoads3D v2" folder.

For v3 you can find the menu in:

GameObject > 3D Object > EasyRoads3D

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. eblumrich

eblumrich

All is working just excellent- thanks for the tip- GREAT product!

raoul likes this.
  15. Duffer123

Duffer123

How well does this asset play with AQUAS water, GAIA and Landscape Builder?

16. hopeful

hopeful

Unless you are specifically inquiring about the older version of the software, go to the thread for EasyRoads 3D v3.

17. raoul

raoul

Hi Duffer123,

Yes, like hopeful mentioned, you probably want to have a look at v3, https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

V3 works well with Gaia and Landscape Builder. Landscape Builder has support for EasyRoads3D integrated. for specific tasks. Do you mean AQUAS to create rivers with EasyRoads3D? I belief Landscape Builder has this integrated as well. I recently started looking into AQUAS after a question was asked about this in the v3 thread. The aquas prefab by itself seems to work fine but the AQUAS setup includes an Editor Window that will create additonal objects for caustics etc. I have to see how that can be integrated in EasyRoads3D. You may want to have a look at the Landscape Builder integration of this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. toto2003

toto2003

hi raoul, i really enjoy using easyroad, but i also really miss the fact that i can t create tunnel with it, is there any plan to have them in the near futur? or maybe there a way to do that with procedural sideobject...

thanks

19. raoul

raoul

Hi toto2003,

Glad to hear you like it!

This is the v2 thread, v2 will only be updated in case there are serious issues with new Unity versions.

It is recommended to start using the v3 betas, it is not far from being released and most people already use it. https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

Regarding tunnels, the tunnel geometry indeed can be created using side objects. At the moment we are pushing the v3.0 release but the idea is to include an example of this in the demo project, but that will probably be v3.x.

You can either do this with a Procedural Mesh type or a Shape type of side object and use start / end segments at the start / end of the tunnel.

The challenging part is creating the hole in the terrain. We experimented using masks for that, this will work well depending on the angle with the terrain. There are other assets on the asset store that simulate holes in the terrain and I belief it is on the schedule for the Unity devs to add support for this.

Thaks,
    Raoul

toto2003 likes this.
  20. eblumrich

eblumrich

I am having a problem using your tool to create a simple fence.

The only online tutorial I can find is this:

And, well- this is a VERY different version than what I bought...

Do you have a video tutorial on how to build fences/side objects, using your latest version?

thanks.

21. raoul

raoul

Hi eblumrich,

That video is indeed v2. The side objects system in V2 was intended as a framework that you can use with your own models. But we do have a side object examples packages available. It includes the objects in that video.

However, it is recommended to start using the v3 beta which is an entirely new road system, https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/ . The beta is part of the asset store download as a separate package, NO need to upgrade your current license.

You can find import instructions in the _Readme file and in the asset store description.

Side object examples, like fences, are part of the beta package. Currently the last work is done on v3 features and new side object assets. When that is done v3 will be released.

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. eblumrich

eblumrich

Well, I own the pro version, and have installed the v3 version- which includes all of the fences, bridges, etc.

The version I downloaded comes with tons of stuff- fences, etc.

When I try to build a road object using one of the included fences...

Nothing happens. I lay down the markers, and, well- nothing appears, as it does in the video (which is still so very different from the existing asset, it's very hard to follow.)

I have tried doing this, using the fence assets included with the pro version, and fence geometry that I have imported from other sources. In each instance, no fence appears.

So- Is there a step-by-guide to making this work?

Thanks!

23. raoul

raoul

hello eblumrich,

This is the v2 thread and the video is v2. That is why I thought you were using v2.

The video is v2, v3 is an entirely new road system. Once the the final v3 demo project is ready and v3 has officially replaced v2, new v3 videos will replace the current videos. The Quick Start section of the v3 manual includes links to provisional v3 videos.

The provisional main demo scene includes roads with side objects and "side object" only objects like fences and electricity powerlines. You can see how they are setup.

In general, whether you want to add side objects to roads or create "side objects" only objects it is a matter of creating a new object, add markers and actívate the specific side object in the "side objects" list.

At this stage it depens on the status of the "Default active state for each marker" checkbox for this side object in the side object manager whether it is instantly build along the road. For, for example, side objects like bridges you do not want the side object active on all markers so "Default active state for each marker" is off.

You can actívate/deactivate side objects per marker in the marker side object section further below in the Inspector. At the top in this section you will see a dropdown with all active side objects, after selecting a side object from the dropdown, you can control various marker related settings among which "active" state.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  24. eblumrich

eblumrich

Ya know- I must apologize- I overlooked that very minor detail.

It's working like a dream, now.

Five stars!

raoul and hopeful like this.
  25. Orizz81

Orizz81

Hi there,
    I'm using the free version but liking it a lot so thinking of upgrading! 2 questions

1. I'm using Unity 5.5.1f1 - is it compatible?
    2. I need to create highway (one road type) with a road coming off of it, like a track / dirt road (a second road type). Is this something I can do easily? if not is there some instructions on how I could do this?

Thanks!
    Paul

26. raoul

raoul

Hi Paul,

The free version is still v2, you want to use v3 for crossings.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

V3 betas are part of the asset store Pro download as a separate package.

Both v2 and v3 work on 5.5.x

Highway junctions are not yet built-in. This was actually requested today in the v3 thread. This was the reply: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/e...g-new-road-system.229327/page-64#post-2967935

So it will be built-in in v3.x but it can already be done using the custom prefab system and mesh models. Examples of highway overpasses with junction are part of the beta package.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. alex31016

alex31016

Hi! I need a race track similar to an oval, Nascar style. Can I create the "cant" with this asset?

28. raoul

raoul

Hi alex31016,

You probably want to use v3 for this: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

It supports straight and circular segments which is probably what you want for ovals. For the cant you can use the tilting option. Here is an example, not a Nascar track but kinda similar at the end after the bumps:

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/e...g-new-road-system.229327/page-62#post-2893653

The tricky part is the bottom, this will not work well with the Unity terrain object which is grid based. You probably want to use at least a mesh in the tilted area. or, you can keep the terrain flat and built the full track using side objects, like walls, fences.

One thing to add here is the option to set the tilting origin. Right now this is at marker positions. While for this purpose you may want to have it in the center of the canted section.

Thanks,
    Raoul

alex31016 likes this.
  29. ksam2

ksam2

Hi again, I like how smoothly easy road shapes terrain under roads, can you please make a same system with buildings and objects? I mean I need to place my buildings on terrain as nice as roads.

30. raoul

raoul

Hi ksam2,

We have a simple system for buildings but it is optimized for our own specific purposes. Perhaps we will create an asset out of it but that will be after 3.0 is ready.

Thanks,
    Raoul

ksam2 likes this.
  31. ytrewq

ytrewq

Version 3.8.4

1. We work on big terrain an complex road system. After adding significant amount of roads, looks like undo limit is reached and each operation with the roads cuses argument exception and roads become uneditable.

2. Looks like the road mesh shift is done not the best possible they - strait up. Beter way would be move vertices according to terrain normal. We work on steep roads, and steep parts of the roads often suffer from terrain looks through. I made some alterations to road shader, but it has nasty side effects - objects sink throuth the road mesh and sometime road is visible from side even if obscured by terrain.

32. raoul

raoul

Hi ytrewq,

1.The Unity Undo class is used for this. Is this indeed related to reaching a certain limit? What sort of processes result in the argument exceptions, and what are these exceptions?

2. At the moment indeed the full road network is raised.Raising by vertex on the terrain normal is indeed better for steep roads, it is on the list. I will make a note to give that priority.

Thank you for the feedback,
    Raoul

33. ytrewq

ytrewq

This is the stack trace from the console. The exception appears on any modification of the road, like moving one of the node. It's Unity 5.5.0f3, Easy Roads 3.8.4 beta.

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[EasyRoads3Dv3.ERLocalGrid].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODODCOCOOD.SetLocalGridCoords (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODODCOCOOD.SnapToLocalGrid (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, Vector3 pos)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.ODODCOCOOD.OQDCOQOCCO (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, Vector3 pos, Boolean gridKPress)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OOOCODDCQO.OnSceneGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2063)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1405)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1242)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

34. raoul

raoul

Hi ytrewq,

This seems related to local grids. Are you indeed using local grids for marker snapping?

In that case, could you check the Local Grid settings in General Settings > Scene Settings? Or try disabling grid snapping, K Key with the focus on the Scene View Window or uncheck "Active" in the Local Grid settings.

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. davaguco

davaguco

Hi, I just bought EasyRoads 3D. I only installed v3 beta, everything seems to be working but I keep getting this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase.OCODOCQDQQ ()
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OOOCODDCQO.OnEnable ()

Also, when I import an OSM file, it keeps saying: Parsing document (with the full progress bar completed). I have waited 15 minutes, but it seems it won't ever finish. I'm not uploading a huge file, it's only several house blocks (file is 859Kb)

36. raoul

raoul

Hi davaguco,

Do you get this error when selecting the road network object? It is related to code that checks the terrain data for changes.

What is your setup? Do you have terrains in the scene? Did this happen right after creating the road network? Does this error also happen in the main demo scene?

Perhaps this is also related to the terrain setup? When using the default OSM import settings the positions will be calculated relative to the bounds of the terrain in the scene. Could you send me the osm file so I can check whether the data itself imports correctly?

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. ytrewq

ytrewq

No, I don't use local grids. Also, after exceptions the panning with middle mouse button usually stops working and don't restore until I close and reload the editor.

There was a lot of exceptions during the work (all "argument out of range exception"), but usually this did not cause full unusability.
    LocalGrids.jpg

38. ytrewq

ytrewq

You know, I added local grid but it's inactive (so, no snapping), and excepotions stopped. So, the problem is that somehow you code trying to access not existing local grid.

39. davaguco

davaguco

This is the OSM file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sh7elbnbqeqced/monterrozas.osm?dl=0

I have several assets on the same project, I'm not sure if they might be in conflict with yours. They are mappity, world composer, buildr. I had built a terrain with world composer, and imported build plans and roads with mappity. Maybe this is not the correct flow I should follow?

40. raoul

raoul

Yes, that is what was happening. I was able to reproduce this. If you are not using grid snapping, then it looks like at some point you pressed the K key which results in this error. Pressing the K key once again solves it.

This situation will be fixed. Thank you for reporting this!

Raoul

41. raoul

raoul

Thank you for the link! The osm imports correctly on our end. See below with the roads build relative to the terrain bounds.

monterrozas.jpg

There are no known issues related to the packages you mentioned.

The only thing I can think of is that no Unity terrain object is present, but in that case a clear warning should appear and, unless something has changed with Terrain Composer, TC does use a Unity terrain object.

How are you creating the road network? Through the top menu: GameObject > 3D Object > EasyRoads3D ?

Does the same happen in the main demo scene?

Could you try a new scene or a new project just as a test?

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. studentvz

studentvz

Hi. My users are complaining about the road being rendered in front/above of some objects (cars). At distance, it appears that wheels are under the road. Are you aware of this issue?

I'm using EasyRoads/Diffuse shader for the road.

I was managed to reproduce this bug on an older device with Mali GPU, but at this moment I don't have it at hand to make SS.

43. raoul

raoul

Hi studentvz,

The EasyRoades3D shaders use an offset, look for Offset X, X where X are negative numbers.

This offset deals with z-fighting with the terrain and it prevents the terrain from being redered on top of the road further away from the cam when then terrains LOD system kicks in, especially in hily areas.

Whether you need this depends on your game and camera angles. You can try reducing the offset values more towards 0. You can remove the offset (or use another shader) and make sure the roads are raised about 0.02 to 0.05 above the terrain, this is visually not really noticeable. Or you can add a similar offset in the shaders used on the objects that are on the roads.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. alex31016

alex31016

Hi! I'm using the v3 and I'm getting an error, when I tried to create a curbstone it didn't worked, if I try with palms or other side object works well :/

45. raoul

raoul

Hi alex31016,

I just checked the curbstone side objects, they appear to be working fine.

What error do you get and when exactly does it happen?

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. raoul

raoul

@alex31016,

Or is this not error related but is the curbstone side object not visible?

In that case, this type of object is usually only active for specific markers. "Default active state for each marker" in the Side Object Manager is switched off for this side object. You can activate the side object by selecting a marker (or multiple markers) and switch on the side object for these markers.

Thanks,
    Raoul

v3 thread: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/ :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    alex31016 likes this.
  47. alex31016

alex31016

Thank you! It works!

raoul likes this.
  48. studentvz

studentvz

@raoul

My shader is EasyRoads3D-Normal-Diffuse and Offsets are 0 for both X and Y. Which shader does not have this problem?

I tried standard Mobile-Diffuse shader, but even if I lift road on 0.02 I still have road cracks.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  49. raoul

raoul

Hi studentvz,

I assume you changed these values to 0, is that correct? The only difference of the EasyRoads3D-Normal-Diffuse shader with the Unity shaders is this offset. If you set it to 0,0, you could also use the Unity shaders.

In any case, what you described is typically a result of these offsets, there are no other issues like this reported since the start in 2010.

Can you show a screenshot of the problem? Does the same happen with the Unity Standard shader?

This does sound more Unity / graphics card related. But I would think this Offset is involved here.

Thanks,
    Raoul

50. studentvz

studentvz

Hi Raoul,

Ignore my previous reply, sorry for that. So, my option si to use this offset, maybe even add it to my cars and wheels or use some standard unity shader and have road cracks and holes on some parts of the road in distance. It is a tricky decision. I would go with offset but as I remember, sometimes even road was rendering trough my terrain hills, it could happen the same with cars, what is even worse.

I see that people who complain about this used device that has Mali 400 MP2, Mali 450 or similar GPU.

Unfortunately, I don't have this device anymore to make screenshots.

Thank you.