Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

ProBuilder Easy way to remove excess geometry?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Sun-Dog, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

I'm just experimenting, but let's say I have this bit of geometry:

62283db1035bfef609f60905984949a9.png

There are quite a few unnecessary vertices.

Is there an easy way to remove these, rather than selecting, say, two verts at a time and then "collapsing to first" on each pair?

Or deleting the unnecessary vert (and therefore faces) and rebuilding?

2. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

Oddly, selecting a set of faces:

d725aab233a35a5a4fdff1fc50befc7a.png

and then selecting "merge faces" seems to merge the face, but not remove the vertices:

27fab532c285810c5c1448d92378dd41.png

and even though there is only one "face", I can still manipulate the verts:

6f83834d808383d2d62e3557e5a358bc.png

and the face still selects the entire area:

aadfa9c792b0cb7c390b4017fd2088f9.png

I had always assumed a face was defined as a tri or a quad. So, in ProBuilder, is a face something else?

I also did notice I couldn't delete edges or vertices, but only faces, so does ProBuilder have a special way of defining a face?

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Unity Technologies

Hi! Yep, this is big on our "To Do" list- a tool for "Remove Selected Vertices/Edges".

Currently, "Merge Faces" does exactly what it sounds like...merges the faces into one, without affecting the verts or edges. That's useful for smoothing, UVs, some other things. Not so useful if you are trying to pare-down geometry :D

However, you can also use "Collapse Vertices" to smush all those verts down to one (a specific corner, for example).

4. MrG

MrG

+1 for this. @yahodahan

Spawn a cylinder:

upload_2018-8-6_13-25-45.png

1. Select and remove the faces at the ends so you have an open pipe.
    2. Duplicate the pipe so there's 2 in the scene.
    3. Rotate one of hem 90° around Z axis and re-position to 1,1,0
    4. Select both pipes and do Merge Objects.
    upload_2018-8-6_13-29-47.png

Now how do I get rid of all the interior geometry?

5. yahodahan

yahodahan

Unity Technologies

That'd be a question for another post :) Easy answer though- delete all the faces selected in your image, then hold V and snap the vertices on the Y axis to the vertices of the horizontal tube :)

6. SonGoku10c

SonGoku10c

Any new news about the "Remove Selected Vertices/Edges" tool? It still isn't in version 3.0.9 or?

awesomedata likes this.
  7. Creepgin

Creepgin

I've been personally waiting for edgeloop removal from ProBuilder since 2015 haha :) Is it finally coming? Soon'ish?

awesomedata likes this.
  8. awesomedata

awesomedata

Blender is open source.
    Might be good to study how they handle these operations. Python isn't that hard to learn either.

I genuinely wonder why features like these are difficult to implement. We're not reinventing the wheel again, are we?

9. andyz

andyz

Still no delete vertex?!

10. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Same Question, delete vertex & edges would be an incredibly useful tool for all those times I decided that my model should be 'just' a little different and I ended up with crazy UV maps because removing that face wasn't such a good idea after all.