Search Unity

Easy Water 2.0 - Mobile Compatible [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Grespon, May 3, 2012.

1. Grespon

Grespon

New version is finally available in the asset stores.
    Since november, every update I was uploading was not really uploading, and when importing people were downloading an old version. But it seems that it's ok now.

Well,
    Next thing I'll be working:
    - Fix texture degradation over time.
    - Making cubemaps-based shaders
    - Animation scritps for every shader.
    - Drink some beer.

2. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Grespon,
    the problem is still here...after update process the version is still the 2.5.

Max

EDIT:
    maybe I found the issue... your new package is stored in a different local folder respect the old one.
    After deleting "Grespon" assetstore local folder and after downloading again all works perfectly.
    $EW.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  3. Grespon

Grespon

Hi Sjm Tech,
    It's weird. I deleted that folder other times but still did not work. This time, even without deleting the folder, it worked.

Anyway, if anyone has this problem again, it's a good tip. Thanks for that!

4. uniphonic

uniphonic

I had the problem as well still, so I went to go look at my Asset Store and did a search and found there are two "Easy Water" packages in my asset store folders:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store\Grespon\Textures MaterialsShaders

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store\Grespon\Textures MaterialsWater

I tried deleting both of them, and then it re-downloading, and and that seemed to work! Now, even after closing re-opening Unity, it shows that I have the correct Easy Water version (2.83).

Thanks, sjm tech, for pointing me in the right direction!

5. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

you're welcome...

I want to send too my thank to Grespon for his very good and hiper-configurable water shaders!

6. Grespon

Grespon

Thank you sjm tech!!

7. Grespon

Grespon

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  8. Grespon

Grespon

Is anyone having problems to update?

sjm tech and uniphonic seems to have found a fix. Delete these folders:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store\Grespon\Textures MaterialsShaders
    C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store\Grespon\Textures MaterialsWater

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  9. ZerkyWerky

ZerkyWerky

There is an animation component on the example and the Animation says "Missing" and cant see any animation file included. Is it missing this?

10. Grespon

Grespon

Yep. I actually forgot to remove the component before uploading.

11. Demorro

Demorro

So I'm using Easy Water to make this small game, and I'm having trouble with what I believe is an interaction between transparent objects and the transparency in the shader. I'll give you an example, I have a flat transparent textured plane, with the inbuilt transparent->diffuse shader on it, it is positioned above the water.
    $i91R9EK.jpg

However, at certain camera angles, the plane has the underwater effect applied to it, even though it is above water. I can move the plane rediculously high up into the air and this effect remains applied.
    $gXTV2qx.jpg

Anyone know what's wrong? Thanks for reading, and thanks for this cool water

12. Grespon

Grespon

Hi Demorro,
    If the problem happens with render queue of transparent objects, try opening the shader code and changing this line:

"Queue"="Transparent"

to this:

"Queue"="Transparent - 1"

Let me know if it solves the prob.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  13. Demorro

Demorro

Hiya Grespon.

This does stop the transparent objects appearing underwater, although it initially throwed the error : Undefined Queue : "Transparent - 1" "
    However, this completely removes the transparent effect of the water on the particular shader, sort of defeating the point. Not sure if this due to the error or not.

Wish I could work on sorting it myself, but I know nothing about shader programming :(

14. Grespon

Grespon

It shouldn't give this error you're telling...

Let me understand it better..

Why did you put the underwater effect above the water and not under? Which underwater effect are you using ?

15. Demorro

Demorro

By the underwater effect, I simply mean the water transparency, (as adjusted by the opacity slider in EasyWater C2TBDOR360.) Although the gameobject is clearly above the water, it appears as though it is below the water from certain camera angles. If I set the water opacity to fully opaque you can't see the object from these angles at all.

Refer to my second picture above, you can see in the scene view that the plane is above the water plane, although the game view has the texture very very faded, as though it was under the water and being viewed through the waters transparency. This occurs with transparent particle billboards too, but not with Transparent->Cutout materials.

If you like when I wake up tommorow I'll prepare for you a minimal scene file explaining what I mean.

16. Grespon

Grespon

Ok.
    I'll try to recreate the issue as soon as I get home today.

17. Demorro

Demorro

I've prepared a web build to show you what I mean, hold down the right mouse button and rotate the mouse around a bit and you'll see what I mean.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43475027/Ferry/WebBuild.html

I'll also post the project file soon, but my upload rate where I live is < 5kB/s, so it'll take some time to upload.

Sorry for taking up so much of your time, it's probably something silly I've done.

18. Grespon

Grespon

Hi Demorro,
    Don't worry. I found out.
    Sorry, it's not "Transparent - 1". It's "Transparent -1".

Got the difference? Without the space.

Try this and tell me.

19. Demorro

Demorro

That seemed to fix the issue entirely, the transparency is maintained and everything. Thanks man!

20. Grespon

Grespon

You're welcome!

21. Bowie-Xu

Bowie-Xu

Hi Grespon
    I am very interested in your easy water, it looks pretty nice. Just one question:is there any visual effect if we go under the water?
    Thanks!

22. Grespon

Grespon

No underwater effects for now.
    I'm planning to make it when I have time.

23. Grespon

Grespon

A new update is on: (Version 2.84)

Changes:
    - Corrected the Refletion/Texture mix, which was weird in the last version.
    - Added a better water texture/bumpMap

24. Hwaus

Hwaus

Hi, I am lost on the scale factor for the easy water. I can not tell if the water plane is 5 miles or 500 miles. Can you give me an approximate scale of the easy water plane? Am I supposed to put a bunch of the planes together like a tile, or is one big enough to add a few islands to? I am working on a ship game.

25. Grespon

Grespon

Hi UnityTrouble,
    I don't know what's the best option. I guess it's up to you to decide what fits better to your game.

If you decide to put a giant plane you'll have to raise the tilings in the inspector.

I'm sorry if I cant help you. I'm not very experienced on making the games itself, so I don't know if puting tiles of planes is a better solution(perhaps you can have more control of which objects are rendered or not, increasing performance).

Maybe you could find help in the community support forums.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  26. Grespon

Grespon

Hi,
    In this site: Texturelib.com, you can download some nice water textures to use with EasyWater. They just need some little work in the borders to smooth amendments.

27. zemagen

zemagen

hello,
    we are interested in your water asset for unity 3d, but before purchasing it i would like to ask you a few questions:
    1 - would this work on any mobile device based game? (we are making a temple run style game for ios and android)
    2 - is your water only a texture you can see from the top or can it perform as real water? (in our game you play most of the time under water and jump out of water from time to time, so our character should be able to pass through the water texture and make some water splashes while at it).
    3 - does your water asset perform well on all ios and android devices?
    I would like to receive an answer ASAP.
    sincerely yours'
    Yuval.

28. Grespon

Grespon

Hello Zemagen,

1- There's for now about 15 water shaders included. It goes from fastest to highest quality. I believe at least one of them is gonna run fine on every today's mobile.

2- For now, they're only shaders, I mean, they are applied to a surface so it's 'painted' with flowing water. I'm thinking about including underwater effects, shores and splashes but I didn't find time for this yet.

3- As I said, there's about 15 shaders. Some of them will run faster. I believe the last update has some improvements on performance but I still couldn't test myself on iOS. I received many controversal feedbacks about mobile performance. Some say it's one of best water for mobiles, some say it's slow. I believe the highest shaders are not the best options for older devices. You know, when it's up to mobiles you have thousands of models. Sorry about that.

29. imtrobin

imtrobin

Hi, can you put your shader under a folder group. It's cluttering the shader selection.

30. Grespon

Grespon

imtropin,
    Ok. I'll do it for the next update.

31. Grespon

Grespon

Hi people.
    I'm preparing some underwater effect for the next release.

Here is a WebDemo.

Please, tell me what you think. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

32. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

That look like a god start and i think it could render fast.
    I hope that you make different kind of underwater shaders like the water shaders that perform different so i can decide to make it more buitiful or less on mobile.

33. Grespon

Grespon

RandAIThor.
    Yes I'll make different shaders for underwater effects, ranking low to high quality.
    thanks for the feedback!

34. polytropoi

polytropoi

That is nice, Grespon, keep it up. +1 for mobile underwater shaders!

35. Grespon

Grespon

A new version ( 2.88 ) is up.
    All shaders now are under a folder/subfolder group, and transparency for almost all of them depend of the view angle. (If you guys don't like that way please let me know)

I'm in need of feedbacks about performance on mobiles. I made some optimizations in the most recent versions and it's running faster on my iPhone 4S and my old Galaxy Y, but I didn't receive any feedback from 'outside' so far.

Thanks everybody!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  36. Grespon

Grespon

Hi.
    I'm happy to say that I received a PM saying "..The new mobile shaders are working nicely on the iPhone 4". :)

37. im

im

please add the following

both above water and below water caustics

above water and below water distortion of object in the water

edge blending and edge foam

and some wave effects like water flowing in and out, moving up and down as it comes in and out

38. metaleap

metaleap

This looks neat, will be trying this out. The "underwater" shown in your WebDemo, is this already included in the current version?

@im: for distortion, you should really apply a full-screen/camera image-effect, such as ripple or twirl. Of course this is Unity Pro, only --- nothing can be done about that, as you'd need Render-Texture support for such a post-effect.

I agree edge blending would be really nice. As for water flowing in and out, moving up and down: just use a mathf.Sin or .Cos for your water plane transform's Y coordinate ;)

39. Grespon

Grespon

metaleap,
    the underwater is not included yet. I'm still working on it.

im,
    about object distortion, metaleap is right.both refraction and camera effects are PRO-only.
    When you guys say edge blending you mean blending water with the ground/sand texture?
    Foam is probably the next thing I'll make after I add the underwater effects. Caustics is a nice idea too. I'll put in the list.
    About waves, I need to make performance tests. I could make it by script or directly in the shader. It's also in the list.

Thanks for the tips!

40. Grespon

Grespon

I've just fixed the link to the Web Demo

41. im

im

hi :)

thanks for the quick response

just take a look around at the competition and see what you can do over time with unity indie

that would be the best bet to stay on top

i mean coke looks at pepsi and pepsi looks at coke. sort of go down their feature list see what you are missing or have less of and see what can do and do with what you have.

re: waves

its more like raise and lower the plane, i did not mean like waves like in change the shape of the plane that would require more work. just simple scripts

re: distortion of waters below water or when below the water of object in and out of water

nothing that can be done with indie? nothing with camera? to make things wibbly wobbly? Also some fog like effect to reduce visibility.

right now i was looking at picking up one of the water since yours is on sale and i do see the expensive ones, but i dont have unity pro and those others are way more expensive for what im doing. but its like i would like to merge the features of

Easy Water
    Water+ 4 Free Mobile
    Liquid Texture Effects - Volume 1
    Wet Surface Shaders
    Wet Shaders
    Underwater Effects

and have an indie version that covers water comprehensively.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  42. Grespon

Grespon

You're totally right, im!

Sometimes I do check the competition. There's a lot of posiibilities to improve Easy Water. Actually it has evolved a lot. If you could see how it was in the beggining.. a lot of improvements were made.

The main 'problem' is that I work at the City Hall making inside softwares that has nothing to do with game dev. I only work with my assets when I get home. I need to priorize some features/corrections. I was optimizing for mobiles, then I was adding some other shader options, then I started making the underwater effect. In paralel I made the Wet Shaders asset, which also takes some time of mine..

Next things after underwater effects will be caustics over the water plane and foam. Feel free to ask for features :)

Thanks!

43. metaleap

metaleap

@im --- wow, that's a lot to ask. Take it easy, these different systems exist as separate solutions for a big reason -- every use-case is different, especially when dealing with water bodies there simply isn't a one-size-fits-all approach. Things like caustics and wet puddles are "nice-to-have" for AAA desktop titles but complete overkill for casual mobile gamers on low-powered hardware. If one is developing for the latter market, they don't want all the unused scripts and shaders polluting their Assets folder, as they do get processed each build lengthily even if only to exclude them from the output anyway.

So often the various solutions are quite easy to combine for those who need to, and even better, can be used separately or skipped for those who don't. That's actually a pretty good situation for the discerning "let's keep things minimal, simple and fast" mobile gamedev, for once.

@Grespon -- your plans sound good, but personally I believe you might wanna do edge blending right after underwater and before the other stuff, it's somehow a little bit more "essential" I think. I don't know, every gamer (even casual) can immediately and easily notice polygonal edges of the water plane at the shoreline as a somewhat odd artifact, but most gamers (other than hardcore) wouldn't as easily notice "there's foam and caustics missing!!"

Of course, foam and caustics would be truly amazing and add a great deal to atmosphere and immersion. But since you have a day job and must prioritize your time carefully, that'd be my suggestion ;)

Keep up this great project, it's come a long way and looks very good.

44. im

im

hey that's competition, if he doesn't do it in time someone else will and it will hurt his sales and marketshare. basically some bully will take his lunch money away.

competition is like monstrous thing, its like having you on this treadmill that you can't just slow down / stop, you have to keep running, and even when you are running its hard to even keep up and stay in place

what did the founder of intel Andrew S. Grove say about it, "Only the paranoid survive"!,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Grove

anyways all the stuff i listed are from his direct competition low end products $15 or less that target the indie market.

i did not list anything they didnt do, mostly through simple smoke and mirrors, im not asking him for anything real like the higher end products have, that would be hard ;)

but at least he could be king, if but a day, of the $15 ones :)

the thing is if i have to get his product and a couple others ive already spent the $50 and for that i would get real expensive ones and save myself some money and the hassle of integrating a number of different products from different vendors.

also, i never said i wanted it now, ok i do want it now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4

still he can create a list of things to do, prioritize it, easy, hard, high priority, low priority, and then in the days, weeks, months and years to come he can knock them off. so he does not have to leave his cushy job working in city hall. by the way say hello to the mayor, tell him he's a crook for me. then i'm sure you'll find more time to work on it ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  45. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Hi Grespon,

I'm interested in this asset and was concerned about mobile performance on Android and IOS.

Can you give an Updated list of performance fps on various mobile devices tested so far.

Thanks.

46. Grespon

Grespon

Yeah, sometimes I fell like wasting precious time watching tv series and stuff when I could be working on my assets. I could really be more productive.

You both are right. Maybe making different assets for different purposes (water for mobiles/desktop for example) would be more reasonable. I dont know. But I think if I put a lot of features I would need to raise the price also. Unity has some pricing recommendations for assets.

I think Easy Water differs from these water options in a way that Easy Water seems to be more customizable. It has about 15 different shaders included. There is a mobile water for sale that is similar to the lowest Easy Water option and costs $ 20 alone.

It lacks some features really. Metaleap is right. Edge blending seems to be more urgent than shores. I will think about how to make it.

I also think the mayor is a crook but Im not telling him this. I dont wanna loose my cushy job. (Sometimes really boring btw) :)

You guys are being helpfull!

47. Grespon

Grespon

Hi rocki, i would give you a full report if i have it :)
    Some old versions (until easy water 2.6) were not giving nice results in some bad gpu devices like iphone 4 which has a too high res. Since I made some optimizations in the shaders and saw fps raising about 30% in my android galaxy Y, i didnt receive any complains about performance on ipads or iphones or nexus, whatever. Actually 1 user that was complaining before (gtzpower) said the new shaders were working fine on iPhone 4. But no detailed reviews so far. I need to turn on my mac mini and test on my iPhone 4S but I still didnt. Sorry.

There is about 15 shaders included, ranking from low to high "specs". Low end devices would need low end shaders.

48. im

im

if u focus on the assets u will have a nest egg of income

if you focus on watching you will get fat and dumb like me

http://www.bongonews.com/StoryImages/worst_job2.jpg

and i'm fairly sure you don't want that to happen

so forget the tv there is nothing good on anyways

and go work on better / more assets

49. primus88

primus88

I tried the package but I can't come near the quality it is shown in the demo. In fact my water looks very 'fake'.
    I followed the instructions and played around with the shaders, but as far as I can see they all look about the same in my scene.
    Can I find anywhere a tutorial / instructions on how to obtain the water like in the demo ?

50. Grespon

Grespon

Hi primus88,

Sorry about that. I think I need to make a tutorial video and change the example prefab. The demo scene was made using a texture from www.cgtextures.com. That's the main difference. I can't include the texture in a package but you can freely download and use it commercially in your games.

I'm online at http://webchat.freenode.net/ #EasyWater channel right now.
    If you prefer we can chat by msn/skype or facebook as soon as I get home (6 hours from now). I'll help you get a better looking water.