Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Easy Water 2.0 - Mobile Compatible [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Grespon, May 3, 2012.

1. Grespon

Grespon

2. Grespon

Grespon

EasyWater 2.5 is on!

The only difference is that a new shader supporting CubeMaps is included.

This one is based in EasyWater7 shader, the highest one. Lower qualities shaders supporting CubeMaps are coming on the next releases.
    I was anxious to publish :)

If you people don't mind, I'll would be glad if you show your scenes using EasyWater. So.. don't be shy to post your pics or movies.
    If you need tips on how to setup just ask.

3. angel_m

angel_m

I think the cubemaps version looks worse than previous one. Also I have noticed the other shaders have been changed also, and not for better...

4. Grespon

Grespon

angel_m,
    I didn't change one comma from the previous shaders.
    I only changed the included texture and create a new shader. I'll include the previous texture too.
    Thanks for your feedback.

5. angel_m

angel_m

I think all the textures has been changed.

6. Grespon

Grespon

Yes. Last version had more textures options. I'll put them back.

I actually didn't care too much aout the textures, since I couldn't make better textures than these:
    http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=2204

I can't include these textures, but they are free to use inside any game.

7. Grespon

Grespon

Version 2.6 is published.
    I put the 2.4's texture examples back.
    Remember this is a shader set. Depending on the textures, context, environment and everything else, it needs to be adjusted to look better.
    Also, one of the more important thing does NOT depend on the shader: the Bumpiness parameter in the bumpmaps.

Have fun, and please give your feedbacks.

8. atmuc

atmuc

i have unity pro. does this package add more features to me?

9. Grespon

Grespon

atmuc,
    It has the features shown in the first post and the webdemo. EasyWater is the same for Indie and Pro. All the features are compatible for both. It does NOT have REAL reflection and refraction. The reflections are simulated with a texture or a cubemap. It's not a powerfull, ultra realistic and consequently performace-costy set of shaders. I didnt check Unity 4 yet but I don't think it provides a simple and customizable water, compatible with mobiles.
    There are PRO users buying EasyWater and as far as I know they are satisfied.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  10. Grespon

Grespon

It's gonna last about 1 month.

Have Fun!

11. uniphonic

uniphonic

Hi Grespon,

In the web demo there is a toggle button for Hi/Low Quality, but I see no mention of this in the documentation. What does it do? Will it make it perform better on mobile?

Thanks!
    Jacob

12. Grespon

Grespon

Hi uniphonic,
    EasyWater is a set of shaders with different qualities and parameters. That's all. This button is only in the webplayer and changes the shader used to paint the mesh from the highest shader to the lowest one.

But yes, the lowest shaders were made focusing on mobiles, although some mobiles run smoothly high shaders to.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  13. uniphonic

uniphonic

Is there some way to test the devices capacity, and then apply based on that?

Thanks!

14. Grespon

Grespon

15. mattSydney

mattSydney

What is the mobile shader I tried them all an only managed 7 FPS on iphone 4? Ill try iPad 3 as well!

16. Grespon

Grespon

mattSydney,
    Iphone 4 is a crap for games. Too much resolution for its capacity. The best possible option is EasyWater1. Also, use DistortionMapLow.

17. Grespon

Grespon

I thought about iphone 4 and decided to made the simplest water shader possible.
    I tried to publish, but I think I can't do it while EasyWater is in HotDeals, so I'm gonna wait until December.

18. sobek

sobek

Hi

This pack looks nice and i probally by it. But as someone else said before, when i run the web demo the water is just in one dark colour . Kind of like the default bacakground in the unity editor. I have a macbook (not pro) i belive is from 2008, so its quite old. But i never had any trouble running any shaders before.

19. Grespon

Grespon

Hi Sobek,
    Does it happens when you click "Low Quality" in the web demo too ?

Edit: In the Eve Online forum, there are people telling that some macbooks, including those with X3100 GPU, does not support Shader Model 3.0. EasyWater 7 and 6 (the highests) use SM3. Lower EasyWaters should use SM2, but I made a mistake and they're using SM3 too. It's already corrected for the next release.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  20. Grespon

Grespon

For the next version there will be the following implementations/correction:

- More shaders supporting cubemaps for the reflection slot.

- Wave animation through 2 axis. (Not only 1 axis anymore).

- Animations will be made by scripts, and not directly on the shader. (Possibly)

- A new simple shader focused on low performance mobiles.

- lower shaders will be using Shader Model 2, instead of Shader Model 3.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  21. gecko

gecko

Easy Water is working great for me in a mobile app, but I've also got some steam effect rising above the water, and if the camera isn't right up close, the steam is not visible in front of the water. It's visible above the water, so I think it's an issue with alpha and layering. I've had this problem with tree leaves in the past, but have always fixed it by changing shaders. This time, I've tried all of the Particles shaders (mobile and standard), and none solve the problem. Any suggestions?

22. Grespon

Grespon

Hi gecko,
    Yes, it happens in Unity with large semi-transparent objects, since it does not compare locations by pixel, but by element's center (if I'm not wrong).
    In the shader there is a thing called Queue. It's close to line 30 in EasyWater.

There's a fix for this. Take 5 minutes to read this link:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/SL-SubshaderTags.html

You can change to something like this: Tags { "Queue" = "Transparent+1" }

Let me know if it works.

23. gecko

gecko

Thanks for the suggestion. I did this (and also +10 and +1000), but it didn't make a difference.

SubShader
    {
    Tags
    {
    "Queue"="Transparent+1"
    "IgnoreProjector"="False"
    "RenderType"="Overlay"

}

24. Grespon

Grespon

sorry, try with -1

25. gecko

gecko

That did it! Thanks so much!

26. Grespon

Grespon

I'm finally able to work with Unity PRO.
    I'll see what I can do to improve EasyWater for PRO users.

27. gtzpower

gtzpower

Any updates on a mobile release?? I bought this hoping it would perform better than the Daylight Water (Simple) asset from unity, but alas, it is slower. Testing on iPod Touch 4th gen at 5-10 fps (device is worst case scenario, similar hardware to the iPhone 4, half the ram).

I notice you mention 2.6 in your signature, I was only able to download 2.5 from the Asset Store though. I can test for you if you want, don't mind development builds.

28. Grespon

Grespon

Hi gtzpower,
    As I said some posts before, I plan to release a new version with more shader options and optimized as possible. I'm not familiar with iPod Touch 4th gen, but if your trying to run the highest shaders on iPhone 4, it's not gonna happen. sorry. iPhone 4 has a large resolution with an insufficient GPU. Even iPhone 3GS runs better.

Did you try the lower shaders?

29. gtzpower

gtzpower

Yea, I ran the lowest shader. Okay, I will wait. Thanks!

30. GamePro

GamePro

Hi Grespon ,
    I got the easy water, i am testing it on iPhone 4 , its not working properly, the FPS drops to 12 to 5 and the game is hanging down. please

guide me , thanks and regards

31. Grespon

Grespon

Hi GamePro and people,
    I apologize for the time i've been away. I'm working on a game and I didn't find time to work on EasyWater.
    I promised an extremely low shader(a moving texture with opacity) to work with low spec mobiles like iPhone 4 (which has lower performance than iPhone 3GS).
    It's done, but not tested in iOS yet because I made it on my PC. Anyway it shall work and I already uploaded to the Asset Store. It must be ready tomorrow.

Version 2.6 also contains an example script, so you can animate the water to any directions.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  32. Grespon

Grespon

Hi everybody,
    New version is already online at the Asset Store.
    That was the third time I try to release a new EasyWater version (2.6).

This time I was able to upload and a new package, but the version number is still the same (2.5).

I don't know if Asset Store will show there's a new version available for you who bought EasyWater. Maybe you'll have to reimport EasyWater to get the new version (should be 2.6, but is labelled 2.5)

Here is the version changes:
    Version 2.6
    - One new really simple shader for slow devices like iPhone 4
    - Animation360 script. Necessary to animate the new simple shader, and usefull to apply to other shaders in order to animate to all directions.

33. imtrobin

imtrobin

I downloaded the new version update 27 feb 2013, and it is the same as 2.5

34. Grespon

Grespon

imtrobin, thanks for pointing.
    Something strange in the asset store. The new files appear in the Package Contents but when it's imported you get the previous version.
    I sent an email to them.

35. Meltdown

Meltdown

Does this work on Android yet?

36. Grespon

Grespon

yes it works.

37. Grespon

Grespon

No reply from Asset Store team for 5 days.
    I'll try to upload version 2.6 for the 4th time.

38. DavidRDev

DavidRDev

Hello Grespon, we saw an fps drop off when switching to your water solution. It also had pixilated specular like the one posted by ChaseCobb a couple of posts back. Everything looks fine in editor and on device it looks like it has a degradation in quality.

Are there any tricks/tips I should be aware of to fix this issue?

Does the 2.6 version come out with a fix for this?

39. DavidRDev

DavidRDev

Also, we seem to be getting 15-20 FPS on Kindle Fire HD with EasyWater1. It doesn't have any transparency in it which is pretty confusing. Why is there such a huge drop off in FPS on the Fire HD using the simplest shader?

40. nerik

nerik

Hey all,

Did anyone try that on an iPad3 ? (supposedly same problem as with the iPhone4?)

Cheers
    Erik

41. gtzpower

gtzpower

I have ran the EasyWater5 shader on iPad3, and it does have quite a performance impact (runs at 60fps target framerate without water, drops to 25fps with water.) Runs slightly better on iPad 2, about 30 fps. Still waiting for the 2.6 update to be available on the asset store so I can test it out.

42. klungo

klungo

Hi

I've been using easy water on IOS for a while with great results.
    However, when using it on android I'm getting texture degradation over time - have anybody ever seen this before?

Thanks
    Steven

43. Grespon

Grespon

Well,
    I tried to upload EasyWater 2.7.
    Don't know why but now it says the 'page does no exists' in Asset Store..Let's wait until tomorrow..

44. gtzpower

gtzpower

Thanks Grespon. I really cannot wait to get my hands on the update. :)

45. Grespon

Grespon

I'm still having troubles to upload updates.
    I tried uploading version 2.8 yesterday. Asset Store shows 2.8's contents but if you download you get the old 2.5 version.
    I already contacted Asset Store team and they said they're gonna try to solve this.

46. nilton_felicio

nilton_felicio

Easy water was removed from the asset store. It is the third product I buy that let in orphan Asset Store. What's going on?

47. Grespon

Grespon

Well,
    I hope it's temporary..
    I've been having troubles since November-2012 to release new versions.

I hope Asset Store team is fixing... They said they're working on it but they don't give me news for more than a week now..

48. cyangamer

cyangamer

Hi Grespon, great product!

I have a question about tree billboarding and this solution. basically, this water is rendered on top of billboarded trees. The actual trees display fine. Do you have a solution? I should probably admit also that I'm not really good with shaders, so the solution doesn't look as obvious to me.

Thanks.

49. Grespon

Grespon

Hi cyangamer
    I'm sorry about that. Open the shader code and try to find something like this:

"Queue"="Transparent"

Change to this:

"Queue"="Transparent - 1"

Hope it solves.

50. cyangamer

cyangamer

That worked. Thanks!