Search Unity

Easy Water 2.0 - Mobile Compatible [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Grespon, May 3, 2012.

1. Grespon

Grespon

Easy Water is on November's Level 11 Sale!!

level11.JPG

Easy Water is a highly customizable set of shaders for water elements,
    for Unity Indie and Pro.

GET IT HERE !

WEB DEMO

UNDERWATER EFFECT. DIVE IN!

SEA HUNT - DOWNLOAD ANDROID GAME (MADE USING EASY WATER)

It contains:

- Simulated sky reflection (Texture / CubeMap) Easy to make with your own skyboxes. Unity's skyboxes reflection included)
    - Opacity adjust
    - Distortion map slot
    - Specular adjust
    - Gloss adjust
    - Reflection strength adjust

- Adjustable animation
    - Color input
    - 2 texture slots
    - 2 respective bumpmap slots

It's designed for NON Unity Pro users and mobile developers, although some Pro users may have a boost in performance since it has simulated reflections.

Attention: Although it runs on MOBILES, the performance depends on its hardware. Some devices have high resolution and not enough GPU. That's why this package contains different shaders with qualities from low to high. I'm always trying to optimize the shaders. Please, if you test it on your mobiles, let me know.

WEB DEMO!

GET IT HERE !

Any bugs or sugestions, let me know!

Hope you like it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Boomer_McBooms likes this.
  2. _Petroz

_Petroz

Very cool!

3. ddeaco

ddeaco

Looks great, I'm quite interested, but...

What is the performance like on the first generation iPod and iPhone 4, if the water was to take up the whole screen?

Thanks.
    David.

4. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I have the same concern as ddeaco. So what's the performance like on iPhone 3GS and iPad 1 when the water takes up the whole screen? (eg. on top-down view). Can you give us the break down from profiler (Draw Calls, CPU usage, frame rate...etc)

5. Grespon

Grespon

The water itself has only 1 Draw Call with only one "Render Type: important" light, and 2 Draw Calls with 2 or more "Render Type: important" lights.
    For your other concerns I'm gonna make some tests and come back with more details as soon as I find some friend who can lend me iPhones or iPads. iPad was not a selling sucess around Brazil, so it's gonna be hard for me to find one.

I also forgot to say, it does NOT work fine with OPENGL ES 1.x.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  6. nukeD

nukeD

Bought!
    Life gets really easy with this one :)

Thanks for this great asset Grespon!!!

7. Grespon

Grespon

Thanks, Clandestine.
    There was a mistake with texture2 and bumpmap2 speed's names. It's already corrected in version 2.1. It also contains a new shader for lower specs hardware.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  8. gunga

gunga

Bought!!

9. kalamona

kalamona

Hello,
    could you please have a demo that doesn't constantly move the camera?
    thanks in advance

10. MonoSapiens

MonoSapiens

I have a problem with this asset, just bought and it works really cool when i'm testing inside unity.
    The problem is when i test on the Ipad, the texture is dark and all messed up, please help.

Some images of the problem:

11. Grespon

Grespon

monosapiens,
    Sad to read this. I'm gonna check what can be happening.
    By now, try this:
    Inside Inspector, uncheck 'Generate Mip Maps' for Distortions and BumpMap textures.
    Tell me if it works.
    Also, did you test the EasyWaterLow shader too?

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  12. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

Yes, same result on Android. This isn't mobile compatible yet. Even using the WaterLow shader.

13. MonoSapiens

MonoSapiens

I'm using EasyWaterLow shader and the uncheck "Generate Mip Maps' didn't work, it got the same problem. I'm only purchased this water shader because it says that works on mobile devices, since i'm developing for IOS and Android.

Please help me to solve this problem.

14. Grespon

Grespon

Well i'm willing to refund you guys. I see I still need to make more tests before stating it's mobile compatible. But I have to solve this issue anyway.
    Unity 3.5 seems to have a bug with PVRTEXTOOL for some Mac OS's and i'm not able to test for iPhone or iPad until it's fixed.
    For Android, it's smoothly working with my Samsung Galaxy Y. My stupidity to think it would be compatible with all devices.
    My apologies. As soon as I return home I'm gonna work on it.

15. MonoSapiens

MonoSapiens

I'm willing to help you if you need any testing on IOS devices, this water really looks amazing with very low CPU cost, and really don't want the refund . Our game is still under development so i can wait for the fix.

Obs.: Se quiser, entre em contato via email para conversarmos. - rodrigo.na@gmail.com

16. Grespon

Grespon

EvilDingo, can you tell me which Texture Compression did you use when building?
    In the Player Settings, what configuration are you choosing (Device Filter, Minimum API Level, etc) ?

17. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

I used whatever the default is for texture compression. Which textures need to be set to not generate mip maps? Device filter is ARMv7 only. OpenGL ES 2.0. 2.0.1 API Level 6 minimum.

My device is a Galaxy Nexus. Very recent model.

Also would rather help get it working than get a refund. :)

18. Grespon

Grespon

Thanks for supporting!
    EvilDingo, try building with ECT1 Texture Compression, and Device Filter ARMv6 with VFP. See if this works, please.
    I don't think disabling mip maps would help but if you wanna try they are: DistortionMap, DistortionMapLow, waterBump and UnityWaterBump.

19. nicunity

nicunity

Is this for 3.5 only?

20. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

No change using those settings, unfortunately.

21. Grespon

Grespon

EvilDingo,
    I uploaded the version 2.2 yesterday. It may be approved today in the next hours. One of the shaders (the high one) worked on monosapiens's iPad 1 (with low FPS, by the way). Can you try it too?

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  22. Grespon

Grespon

Version 2.2 is up!
    Let me know about performance with mobiles and possible issues.
    ;)

23. FIllbiker

FIllbiker

I tried this with High and Normal shaders and on my iphone4 it's totally unplayable. Low shader is a bit faster, but still unplayable fps drop. :( It is even slower than Smart water mobile.
    It is possible to use it on a big plane, for open sea for example? (if X,Z scale is 1000 instead of 1)?

24. Grespon

Grespon

Fillbiker, I've just made a little change in the Low shader and I raised about 12 FPS in my tests with Samsung Galaxy Y.
    A scene with a full screen water, with a skybox appearing behind it and 2 directional lights, raised from FPS 50 to about FPS 63 with no quality loss.

I'm looking forward until Apple approve my Developer Program so I can start making tests with iOS too.
    I'll try to release until tomorrow a new version with a collection of shaders, from the pretty lower until the high one.

And yes, it's possible to resize the plane or even to use the shader with whatever mesh you want.

Edited: I've just sent version 2.3 (maybe up tomorrow). It contains the correction I told above. It also contains 7 shaders. I hope it will fit everyone's needs.
    Notice there is also a DistortionMapLow inside Textures Folder. It's set as texture, not normal map. It can be faster.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  25. Grespon

Grespon

Version 2.3 is up already.
    It has 7 shaders from lowest to highest.
    I know it's not fully mobile optimized. I'm gonna wait until I can test on iPhone to start making changes. Maybe next week.

26. dcdemars

dcdemars

I just bought this, and I must be doing something wrong because I see the water surface and the skybox reflection in the relevant shaders, but I don't see any water motion at all. This looks nothing like the demos. I installed the example mesh in my scene but it shows the same problem.

I'm running Unity standalone on a Mac. Any ideas? Since everyone else seems to be able to get this to work, I must be doing something stupid.

27. Grespon

Grespon

Well, I think one stupid thing you could forget do to is to raise the speeds. :) Did you try all the shaders?
    I'm gonna try it on my brother's Mac tonight ok?

28. dcdemars

dcdemars

I did both of those things!

But actually, I tried it again and now it's working. I suspect that there was something wrong with the way I added the easy water material to the mesh the first time. Whatever it was, it seemed to screw up the operation of the shader even in the example mesh.

But I tried adding the example mesh today (without my original mesh) and I saw motion. Then I tried adding the material to the first mesh I tried (a river mesh, so it is quite large) and it also seemed to be working correctly.

So I don't know what happened the first time I tried. I might have forgotten to take the original water material out -- that's my best guess.

So, everything seems to be OK. As Gilda Radner used to say, "Never mind!"

29. Grespon

Grespon

I'm relieved!

30. jhmax720

jhmax720

Any update on the mobile performance? I'm so looking forward to this:)

31. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

Looks great, I might have to pick this one up in a few weeks. Would it be hard to sink the waters movement to a server. I don't think it's really necessary unless I write a wave system. I'll still probably pick this up soon, (after I get paid).

32. chase-cobb

chase-cobb

Hi, I'm having a small issue on iOS, on the new iPad, that I'm hoping might be a quick fix. Here is a comparison between the Desktop and iOS. The iOS water seems to look "scratchy", almost crosshatched. Do I need to use a different compression or something for the iOS version or is this a shader bug?

iOS first, then desktop

Attached Files:

33. Grespon

Grespon

jhmax720,
    Well, I made some changes since version 2.3. There is a no Color Input for every shader now, so we can use it when publishing after applying a colored filter with any image editor. Also, some codes were simplified.
    The sad thing is that the highest quality shader (EasyWater7) is still running slow on iPhone 4S. It runs fine without the retina display but it looks a little pixelate.

34. Grespon

Grespon

Chase Cobb,
    I was testing on iPhone 4S, and maybe it was happening too, but I couldn't see because the pixels are too small.
    I'm gonna check it again today when I get back from work ok?
    For now, try changing some parameters in the Inspector for the textures and BumpMaps.

35. chase-cobb

chase-cobb

I tried every combination that I could think of, but with no luck. I also changed the quality settings for iOS so that I know its not cutting the resolution of the textures. Hopefully it something simple.

36. Grespon

Grespon

Chase Cobb,
    In 4 hours I return home and I'll try to fix it ok?
    I must have changed something in the new release.

37. chase-cobb

chase-cobb

No rush. I'm not about to release this title or anything. Just trying to test how far this water can be pushed. :D

38. Grespon

Grespon

I'm new to MAC,
    It seems crispy in the Editor too.
    Anyway. I have to stop working now. I'll try to fix it tomorrow.

39. chase-cobb

chase-cobb

On my Mac Mini it looks normal, its only scratchy on the iPad/iPhone for me.

40. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Looks great but...

FOR GODS SAKE, please just slap a character controller in there and let people control the camera.
    Moving is too fast, fixed is too low to the water plane :)

41. Grespon

Grespon

Humans .. always making demands...:)

Okey, I'll do it when I have time!

42. chase-cobb

chase-cobb

You know you can play the scene and swap over to the editor window and move all around the scene while looking at the current water effect. The speed of the uv scrolling and the intensity of the normal maps depend on the size of the plane you're using for the water. Thats why they are adjustable I would imagine. This guy is working hard for us to have VERY inexpensive water, cut him some slack. ;)

43. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Unfortunately, I'm not where I can use the project. Once I get to my home pc, I can check it out. I was just using the webplayer!

44. Grespon

Grespon

There's a new WebDemo available.
    I'm using a texture from cgtextures.com. I think it's far better than mine and it's free to use in your games.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  45. Grespon

Grespon

An issue was found when using Camera HDR with EasyWater7 shader and maybe others.
    For EasyWater7, a palliative solution is this:

-Remove line 201

-Change line 202 to:
    fixed FinalAlpha = 1 - _Opacity;

-Change line 19 to:
    _Opacity("_Opacity", Range(-0.2,1.0) ) = 0

Doing this, it will remove fresnel for opacity and this will affect the whole element equally.

46. HeadHunter2009

HeadHunter2009

Grespon, i have a question about your shaders.
    First about pragma 3.0 it looks like my PC card dont support it, and i belive all Android devices dont support it too.
    I bought it and i see only black surface, the same on android, tested on HTC Desire HD (android 2.3.3) and Asus TF201 Tegra 3 (Android 4.1).

Any idea how to fix this so i can use it?

47. Grespon

Grespon

Head@Hunter,
    What's your PC graphics card ??
    Don't you have Directx9 ?

Most Android and iOS devices support Shader Model 3. Even iPad 1. I'm pretty sure your Tegra 3 supports too.
    For PC, even the lower Geforce 7 series supports SM3.
    You're the 1st telling me about this black surface so I believe there's another thing going on.

Well, one thing I really forgot to do is to declare #pragma target 2.0 in the lower shaders (EasyWater1 to 5), since they don't need to use SM3. This will be made in the next release, but you can easily do it changing the line around number '40'.

Try it. Let's see if you can run with pragma target 2.0.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  48. HeadHunter2009

HeadHunter2009

Ok i will try and post screenshot of result.

UPD. Declaring #pragma target 2.0 helps, thanks! It work great now.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  49. Grespon

Grespon

Chese cobb,
    The 'scratchy' problem is happening with my iPhone too. It's probably happening with all iOS devices. After 3 days making tests and researching, I think the problem goes deeper. IPhones (and maybe iPads) doesn't handle very well large tiles when there's uv scrolling. The included example itself is too tiled for iPhones.

I think there's no fix for this. BUT there is a turnaround. If you need a large plane, instead of raising the tilings, make several planes and tile the elements side by side. It's easier than it sounds, actually. And I think it's the only way. (if someone have a better idea, i'm hearing)

I'm working on the next release, and I'm really considering making the uv scrolling by script (not by the shader). I don't know if it's gonna solve this iPhones limitation problem, but it will give more freedom.

I'm also considering making cubemap reflection slots, since some people were asking. Cubemap costs performance but gives a better reflection map.

50. Bankler

Bankler

What happens if the camera goes into the sea? Are there any underwater effects?