Search Unity

Easy Track Builder!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by smitchell, Sep 2, 2012.

1. smitchell

smitchell

Hey Guys,

My name is Scott, I am a programmer based in London.

I have been making a small editor so users can create race tracks easily! its still a WIP and will probably take some time to complete. But I will hopefully show progress through this thread :) as long as people follow it! :)

I personally have wanted to make a racing game but am not an artist, and graphically from what I have researched producing a racing game is expensive, especially when it comes to track creation! But what I realised is tracks are not that complicated to build once you have the right components, yet still modellers were asking for allot of money from me, So instead of getting them to build me tracks I got them to build me the components and then I will use my track editor to build the tracks within minutes!

This editor allows you to draw a track within my easy to use editor using points, and then the editor will draw a bezier line to the next point, and then the last point will draw a line to the first point. I will add more features/customisation to the editor to allow more advanced tracks!

Anyways here are a few screen shots:

Here is the basic editor, its still early in production, I plan to add allot more to it!! But this just shows the basis of it for now. You click in the empty space to add a point in the track.

Here I have added a point to my track.

Here I have moved the point, showing how easy it is to move any point at any time:

Adding another point, Editor draws a line to points.

Adding another point:

Added more points to create a track!:

And a few more tracks created in seconds:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51270524/Track%20Builder%20Images/Screen%20Shot%202012-09-02%20at%2023.42.14.png[/IMG]

As you can probably see the editor has a save and load button, so you can save and load your track data!
    Saving your track data is one of the most important parts of this project, as the track data is then used to build your tracks!

Another script I have created(still WIP) builds the track based on this track data, it looks at the data and decides what component of the track to put there, e.g. a straight, turn etc! This part of the project is not entirely ready to show yet.

Let me know if this is something the community would be interested in if I was to put it onto the asset store! :) Either way I am creating it as its being used for my project!

Thanks,

Scott.